• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Breaking News: Possible Levy Break in Scarsdale, LA

In summary, the Levy break at Scarsdale, LA is estimated to be 50 ft wide. This is going to be a big one and I am praying for everyone's safety. I've been glued to the weather channel all day and there is already a lot of flooding in New Orleans due to the winds hitting Lake Ponchatrain (sp?). There is already flooding on Galveston Island and the storm is still hours away from making landfall. I am praying for all of you chefs in South Texas and hope you got out. Most of my family is up here in North Texas, but I still have one cousin in Houston (works in a hospital and can't leave) and one set of aunt/uncle Southwest of
janetupnorth said:
...and for calling you as stubborn as a mule?!?!:p

Glad you guys are safe!

Well, I can't change that I am.. I am sure you are seeing them but please read my other posts about why I didn't leave... not just because I am a mule :) but because I made a well thought out decision.

Some people were telling me that I didn't need to board up and in fact, I was one of a few in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
Chef Kearns said:
I'm talking with Kimmo now. She has her windows boarded up. Brandon is actually in good spirits and thinks it is fun. The city officials have told her that she is not in an evacuation zone and she feels safe. Her home is 3 stories tall so if the flooding does hit her she can seek higher elevation. She is not the only person in her neighborhood that stayed at home several of her neighbors are sticking it out also.

The news people and city officials are saying to hunker down. She's having a good time drinking a Rum & Coke before the bad stuff hits. She's got 1 generator and plenty of gas. So it sounds like she's got a plan. A cop lives next door to her and didn't leave. They have a support system for each other.

Sounds like things are good right now. Keep her in your prayers though.
Yep, I forgot you posted this while we were on the phone.

Like it was said earlier you are a truely good friend! Thank you!!!

Oh wait,,, I was having a rum & coke but not so sure it was a "good time" but it did help me to relax some so I could rest some before the noises got bad.

I have to add one thing to all this...

Sandra had told me about about the post about how someone had said I hate it when people don't leave when they were asked to. In my case I wasn't ask to leave and asked to stay.

I really laughed at that comment though because me not knowing others stories was yelling at this people being interviewed in Galveston and other communities in the coastal communities who weren't leaving. I am thinking are you stupid or WHAT!?!?!?

I don't know their story but if I lived down there, and I doubt I ever would, I would be gone in a heart beat. I would have a system set up and it wouldn't take me long to get the heck out of Dodge.

chef_kimmo said:
Well, I can't change that I am.. I am sure you are seing them but please read my other posts about why I didn't leave... not just because I am a mule :) but because I made a well thought out decision.

Some people were telling me that I didn't need to board up and in fact, I was one of a few in my neighborhood.

I understood - you didn't have to explain further. You have to do what is best for you...and only you knew what that was at the time, not us. :)

Glad it all turned out well and it wasn't too much stress!

tlag1986 said:
I'm praying for safety during the storms through out TX. I also pray for Brandon to continue to enjoy himself and not realize the danger.

We need to take time to pray for all the rescue workers, DOT workers, Hospital workers, Policemen, and all the others who will be out in the storm helping others when they should be home taking shelter. They give without care for themselves, and we tend to forget their sacrifice.

Absolutely! Those people who were working rescuing people, even before the storm hit since the water came in a lot sooner than expected. Some people were doing their last minute clean up and got caught in the early currents.

I give it to all the people who are still out there rescuing, cleaning, and recovering what they can fix. I give a HUGE kudos to the power company!! I had power back on by 5:00 p.m. yesterday and there were millions who were without... SHOOT, still without. I have no clue why I have power and others don't. There is sections in my subdivision that still doesn't have power and that makes me feel horrible.

janetupnorth said:
I understood - you didn't have to explain further. You have to do what is best for you...and only you knew what that was at the time, not us. :)

Glad it all turned out well and it wasn't too much stress!

Thank you! I am very blessed recently - God has been here for me a lot lately and I am truely thankful

Brandi2007 said:
Kim is safe. She was thinking of others as well. The traffic leading out of the danger zone was terrible. Her thoughts were for those that MUST leave to spare their lives. That was a big reason why she stayed. Thank you all for your prayers for our friend. She truly is a wonderful person! We are so grateful that she is safe and the damage is very limited to her area!

Awww shucks, Brandi - you rock. Thank you so much.

Glad to hear all is well, Kim!

Well, since I am monopolizing this thread I will share a couple stories... wait I think it is called high jack - right!??!

I got up very early on the Friday before it was to hit land and went to Lowe's hoping that since they didn't want me to evacaute that maybe I could buy a generator. I had spoke to someone there that told me to come early so I got there earlier than they had said. I got there at 6:00 a.m. and was about 20 others in line before me. Shortly later a manager came out and said we have generators and will allow each of you to buy only 2 and only 2 gas cans. I originally intended to just buy one for me but thought hmm maybe I can help someone else either before or after the storm if I pick one up now.

I got home and texted my neighbor to see if her husband could help me unload it. I am truely blessed with the neighbors I have, this neighbor is the police officer and has helped me on many occassions. He came over and unloaded (actually said You got a good one. that meant an atta girl).

He was helping me put it together when his wife was coming out to head off to work and we were discussing who was doing what of their family. She told me that her sister whose husband had just had back surgery on Monday (3rd one in 8 weeks) had been told that a friend was going to give her a generator to use but at the last minute must have found a better use for it -- some "friend" huh. I asked her if she had a generator and she said No. I told her you know I have an extra one and she didn't think I was serious. I said absolutely call them right now and see if they want it.

They bought it and Larry took it over and hooked it up for them. I heard this afternoon that their area may be at least a week till the have power. I knew God had me pick up that extra one to help someone, I am so glad it has been there to help them.

Last night I received an e-mail from a person at work (sent to everyone) saying I hope everyone is ok. I responded saying we were good and had gotten power back at 5:00. One person wrote back joking "who did you bribed to get power so quickly?"

I knew it was joke and dismissed it. I woke up this morning feeling like a shmuck. Why in the heck didn't I offer him my generator?! I guess it was ok, so that I made it through another night to make sure it wouldn't go out again at my house.

I did check with a friend who lives in a lower lying area and asked if she wanted to use my generator when they come back in town tomorrow. If she didn't, then I wanted to offer it to a co-worker. She called back and said loan it to him they would have a place to hook up their camper when they got back to town.

I e-mailed my co-worker and offered it to him and he came and got it this afternoon. I gave him a 3 gas cans that I already had full and a thicker cord for running power a longer distance.

A side note on his story. A few months ago this man's ex-wife committed suicide and left him with distraught daughters and confusion in his life. My heart broke for him and the daughters. I believe he had 2 daughters with the ex-wife and 2 with the current wife. Nothing like a quick combining of families. He is a good man and has always done right by the children through the divorce and I felt of all the people who did not have power this was one family that could really benefit from have some power running. No, they won't have AC like one to run on a big house but if they bought a window unit. It will be great that they can run their refridgerator, some plug in lights and other electrical equipment.

I pray they get power soon and all goes good for their family.

dianevill said:
Glad to hear all is well, Kim!

Thank you Diane.

Still have some clean up to do but spent the day busy outside getting things done. Walked to one friend's house in the neighborhood and checked on the cat. They had to leave town due to his work and they still don't have power. We told them to not come back for another day or so, unless they have to.

My neighbor was SO lucky she had a tree in the front with a huge limb that broke and fell down with out hitting a house AND had a huge tree in the back that basically topped itself off. The one in the back was one that they had built a tree-house and it basically fell back on the tree and landed on the tree house. She also had the full length of her back fence come down - long story, but we had torn down the fence between our yards and so if she doesn't have a back fence my dogs get out too.

We spent the day cutting the branches and logs and hauling them to a driveway across the street where no one lives. I had wire from previous uses around our yard so after hauling limbs and logs we drove some posts and put up the wire. Now, just praying that my Houdini dog who likes to escape a lot will not find her way out of it.

More clean up and putting our life back in order tomorrow... Here's praying for great weight loss! :D

Glad you're okay and able to help others. Keep us posted.

Greetings all--glad to hear others in houston are doing okay. We live in the north part of Galveston county--and did evacuate to the Dallas area. Our neighbor stayed--and our house is okay, just no power yet. Some areas of town have power and we are waiting for the word that we can return--city asked that we wait until at least today--we may try to return tomorrow--I'm planning meals to cook on camp stove and ways to keep food with little ice. Gets creative!
We are grateful to God for all the prayers sent our way!!
My sister in law has townhouse in Galveston--no word for her yet.
Hubby and I work at hospital in Galveston--all patients were evacuated, 500 employees stayed to run ER and campus needs. 1-2 feet of water in first floor of hospital--my office is there, so I've lost books and files. Not sure when I can go back to help with cleanup.
Thanks!!

chef_kimmo said:
Thank you Diane.

Still have some clean up to do but spent the day busy outside getting things done. Walked to one friend's house in the neighborhood and checked on the cat. They had to leave town due to his work and they still don't have power. We told them to not come back for another day or so, unless they have to.

My neighbor was SO lucky she had a tree in the front with a huge limb that broke and fell down with out hitting a house AND had a huge tree in the back that basically topped itself off. The one in the back was one that they had built a tree-house and it basically fell back on the tree and landed on the tree house. She also had the full length of her back fence come down - long story, but we had torn down the fence between our yards and so if she doesn't have a back fence my dogs get out too.

We spent the day cutting the branches and logs and hauling them to a driveway across the street where no one lives. I had wire from previous uses around our yard so after hauling limbs and logs we drove some posts and put up the wire. Now, just praying that my Houdini dog who likes to escape a lot will not find her way out of it.

More clean up and putting our life back in order tomorrow... Here's praying for great weight loss! :D
LOL - Life does go on, doesn't it!? Glad to here things are going well.

I glad to hear that other's are doing okay.

My niece and her DH lost their house (only their bed and two walls are left), but they are okay. They lived in San Leon, TX, which is Galveston County, two blocks from the water.

pamperedpals said:
I glad to hear that other's are doing okay.

My niece and her DH lost their house (only their bed and two walls are left), but they are okay. They lived in San Leon, TX, which is Galveston County, two blocks from the water.

Oh Laurie! We will hold them in our hearts for prayer! That is so hard.

My son is on his way back before they left they found out their apartment on campus still doesn't have electricity. They had just been to Sams a few days before they ahd to leave. That fridge will be fun to clean

Just glad you are SAFE! Thanks for all your updates and stories, Kim!

Hi Kim, I think my post about people not evacuating was just poorly timed following behind the post about you staying and being stubborn! I never would judge anyone for doing what officials told them~you were told to stay and you did...but there are always bozo's that don't go when told to go, and that was my point. I grew up on the Gulf Coast about an hour inland, and although we had remnants of hurricanes, we never got hit as bad as the gulf did. I think it is just a shame that the government feels like it has to spend money to go in and rescue the people they told to leave....but that's probably another thread, right?

I am glad you & your son are safe and I hope & pray the folks that are powerless, homeless and hungry get help soon.

Here is a picture of what is left of my niece and her dh's home. It is not the greatest picture, someone sent it to her on her cell phone.

At least they are safe. Material things can be replaced, but they can not.

Attachments

• Shannon's House.jpg
    Shannon's House.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 340
ohmigosh laurie. thats aweful. you can hardly even tell a home was once there. i hope that they are able to sort through some of the debrie and find some of their memories.

thecougchef said:
ohmigosh laurie. thats aweful. you can hardly even tell a home was once there. i hope that they are able to sort through some of the debrie and find some of their memories.

They have not even been allowed back into the city yet. This picture was sent to Shannon on her cell phone by someone who stayed behind.

She has heard that they only had their bed left and a few other items. :(

All those affected in Galveston and southern Texas,

I am sad to hear about the losses of houses and property. I hope that those of you who have family who have not been able to get in to see their property may get to do so soon enough.

I have been fortunate if they are needing a place to stay for any time - please let me know by e-mail. I have spare room in my house and can take in a few people - - - - maybe up to one family with some reorganizing.

If they need anything, please let me know. I can help in some ways not sure how... but am offering a place for someone to stay and if there is anything they need, please ask and I can help however I can.

Again - please contact me by e-mail as I do not get on here very regularly so it would be hard to respond quickly but do have e-mails sent to my phone.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the current status of the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?</h2><p>The possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA is still being investigated and has not been confirmed at this time.</p><h2>2. How wide is the estimated levy break in Scarsdale, LA?</h2><p>The estimated width of the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA is 50 ft.</p><h2>3. Has there been any damage reported due to the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?</h2><p>There have been no reports of damage at this time, as the situation is still being assessed.</p><h2>4. Are residents in the area being evacuated due to the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?</h2><p>As a precaution, residents in the surrounding area have been advised to evacuate until the situation is resolved.</p><h2>5. Is there a timeline for when more information will be available about the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?</h2><p>The investigation is ongoing and updates will be provided as soon as they become available. We urge all residents to stay tuned to local news for the latest updates.</p>

1. What is the current status of the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?

The possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA is still being investigated and has not been confirmed at this time.

2. How wide is the estimated levy break in Scarsdale, LA?

The estimated width of the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA is 50 ft.

3. Has there been any damage reported due to the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?

There have been no reports of damage at this time, as the situation is still being assessed.

4. Are residents in the area being evacuated due to the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?

As a precaution, residents in the surrounding area have been advised to evacuate until the situation is resolved.

5. Is there a timeline for when more information will be available about the possible levy break in Scarsdale, LA?

The investigation is ongoing and updates will be provided as soon as they become available. We urge all residents to stay tuned to local news for the latest updates.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn