• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

US Airways Crash: Breaking News Story

In summary, a US Airways plane has gone down in the Hudson River in Manhattan. This could very well be a big, big story.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
A US Airways plane has gone down in the Hudson River in Manhattan. This could very well be a big, big story.Also, Haz-Mat has responded to the Wal Mart that is about 3 miles from my home. The State Patrol has the place completely locked down and several people have been taken to a hospital.As with any breaking news story, may of the early reports will turn out to be false but there is already speculating that the pilot of the airliner knew he was going down, and guided the plane into the river to avoid what could have been a real disaster had he taken it down into Manhattan.Of course, since every major news service in the US is headquartered in New York, the event will be covered wall-to-wall.

I just saw that. Initial reports are that the plane flew through a flock of geese and one was sucked into an engine. Water taxis responded and offloaded the airline passengers. Reports are that everyone got off the plane OK.

I still don't understand how a bird strike can disable an airplane. Sounds like the pilot did some quick thinking and made a very wise decision.

Hope your Wal-mart survives its issue KG.

A jet engine works by sucking air in from the front where turbine blades compress it. Fuel is added to the compressed air and it is burned, resulting in the pressure that propels the aircraft. A large bird can wreak an incredible amount of damage to the turbine blades and the internals of the engine, rendering it useless. A plane that loses 50% of its propulsion in an instant is all but doomed.

Reports are now stating that it was a double bird strike - at least 2 birds involved.And they were Canada Geese, much larger than a sparrow or even a pigeon.

Everyone is SAFE

:angel:Thank GOD:angel:

Where do you live KG???

:chef:

It sounds like New Yorkers really pulled together for this one. Reports are that business people in suits who were on the water taxis were helping passengers get from the plane to the boats. The news had had a couple if interviews with passengers. They report that it was a controlled landing, although the captain did warn them to brace for impact.

thanks for the info KG. nature always finds a way doesn't it.

There are a bunch of heroes this afternoon

KG- any news on the Wally World near you? Do they suspect something sinister, or just stupidity making people sick?

The current reports are that the store is being treated as a crime scene. Now, whatever that means can just cause great speculation.All I know is that I have the afternoon off.

Lots of different definitions of "crime." ;)
Enjoy the afternoon off.

http://www.wisn.com/news/18488910/detail.html

That reminds me - flying home from Leadership Saturday night we experienced the WORST turbulance I have ever been in - I mean it was BAD. I have never been jolted around so much! They had just finished the coffee service so of course many of us wound up wearing our neighbor's coffee, soda, whatever. My friend and I had a row of 3 seats and the middle one was empty. We were holding hands throughtout this ordeal and she was praying out loud! So were a lot of people! It was really bad and shook several of us up. My DH said that evidently one of the pilots was not doing his job and reading the radar b/c we had no warning - one minute it was smooth flying, then next minute we felt like we were in a washing machine, the flight attendants had to make their way to their jump seats. It was really bad. All I could think of was that there was no way this could be happening to us....I was definately getting home to see my DH and DS and I was not going to orphan my DS like this....and strangely, I was thinking of the people on the 911 flight that crashed in that field - that they too must have had some of these thoughts run through their heads. It was very bad (have I said that). Many of us were pretty shaken up and it still bothers me to think about it.

I'm very glad that these passengers were all able to get off. I wonder how long it will take to rescue their luggage - I'm sure any laptops are pretty much toast.

All the passengers clapped and cheered when we landed too. And I have a feeling that someof them will never fly again - the lady behind me hyperventilated and several other passengers were crying. It was really bad!

The pilot is suppose to be on the news conference in about 10 minutes with Mayor Bloomberg - this is local time of course -

One thing that was really weird about the flying coffee....the cup stayed on the tray table and the coffee flew out of it and did this twirly motion thing in the air (kinda like a dance) ....just before it landed al over my pants legs....

Omgosh KG...those bird videos make me not want to ever fly again! How scary!

Glad you made it home safe and sound, Linda. I've had a few rough flights like that. I fly weekly now so I'm getting pretty used to the turbulence, but man, there were a few that I was praying and one where I was crying because I thought for sure we were going down. When we landed the flight attendants announced that we should give a standing ovation for the pilots.

We're trying to keep today's news off the tv and radio. My kids already freak out about me flying so much, this would scare them for sure.

Glad all your flights have had safe landings Diane. I always say a prayer before we take-off for a safe and uneventful flight. Saturday I was busy talking to my friend when we took off...you can bet I'll get my prayer in from now on - no matter what!

When I told DH about the coffee he said "wow, you were in some bad stuff for it to do that" ..... well, no sh*t! DH is a pilot for Delta and he flew f16's in the airforce - he's told me some stories about turbulance that would make me never fly again if I experienced it.

It's been on every news channel here in NY. I am just glad that everyone is ok. That water is FREEZING!!!

Sounds like there was a pilot that did a fantastic job responding quickly and calmly to this freak of nature. I am sure that we are not the only ones that have too many darn Canadian geese (boy I like them but they can poop worse than a pack of dogs). Some of those geese are really good sized.

Linda, sorry to hear about your turbulence. We had one flight home from conference like that and one poor woman had never flown. The feeling of dropping so fast that you can feel your bottom lift completely off the seat (and let me tell you...that thing is hefty!!:eek:)...is not just physically upsetting:yuck:, but trying to stay calm is not easy. Our pilot was really good and let us know far ahead that we would most likely run into a large amount of turbulence. Amazing that the darn cup stayed where it was! Then to have coffee soaked pants on top of that must have made the trip a real blast:thumbdown:.

letscook04 said:
It's been on every news channel here in NY. I am just glad that everyone is ok. That water is FREEZING!!!

It is when their wet skin hits the cold air too that will really drop their temperature.

We are much farther north but they are predicting temperatures of -20 degrees:eek: I am going home and getting in my flannels!!!

What amazes me about this whole plane crash is that a few years ago the Hudson river was so frozen this time of year that they had to break up the ice to get the ferries across(friends and family experienced this). Today was extremely cold and if there had been that kind of ice, the rescue ferries, boats,etc. never would have gotten there as quickly. I know the pilot did an excellent job of landing the plane the way he did, but I honestly think that God was there today helping and guiding. There is no way those passengers should have survived a plane crash and water exposure....I truely believe.I bet many of the passengers and their family members,friends will be thanking God tonight. I know I will....JMHO

Note: The plane hit CANADA geese.They are not citizens of Canada, therefore, they are not CANADIAN geese. (If they were, we'd have to check their passports at the border.)

Aha! I always thought that was a UK/US thing... I've always called them Canada geese, everyone here I know calls them Canadian.

And on that note, a bad joke.

Q: What do Canadian Geese say?
A: Honk, eh!

I have to remember that passports line, KG. Lots of people around here call them Canadian Geese, and it's one of my pet peeves. Funny joke, Annie!

And in Detroit, Canada Geese have to fly north to go south, eh?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Note: The plane hit CANADA geese.

They are not citizens of Canada, therefore, they are not CANADIAN geese.

(If they were, we'd have to check their passports at the border.)

I did not know that!! I'll have to make sure I say it correctly from now on!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
And in Detroit, Canada Geese have to fly north to go south, eh?

Yep! I joke that our neighbors to our North are actually to the South. :)
(For those who don't know, the Detroit to Windsor crossing is the only US to Canada border crossing in the contiguous 48 states through which one travels south to get into Canada.)

"For those who don't know, the Detroit to Windsor crossing is the only US to Canada border crossing in the contiguous 48 states through which one travels south to get into Canada"

What a cool piece of trivia to know..... I am gonna get somebody with that one. THANKS!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Note: The plane hit CANADA geese.

They are not citizens of Canada, therefore, they are not CANADIAN geese.

(If they were, we'd have to check their passports at the border.)

Well as usual you taught me something today KG! I've always called them Canadian Geese! Thanks for the clarification!:blushing:

By the way, a tip of the hat to the pilot and co pilot, and to the crew of that flight!First, to land the plane on the Hudson River was grand enough, but he also put it down near the ferry docks, and put it down so gently that it settled into the river and floated. As to the crew and flight attendants - they did their jobs. Remember, they aren't there to serve you coffee and put up with your complaints about being late. They're there to save your sorry butt in the event of an accident - and they saved everyone on that plane.Remember that, next time you want to lip off to a flight attendant about cold coffee or warm beer. He or she may just save your life that day.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
By the way, a tip of the hat to the pilot and co pilot, and to the crew of that flight!

First, to land the plane on the Hudson River was grand enough, but he also put it down near the ferry docks, and put it down so gently that it settled into the river and floated.

As to the crew and flight attendants - they did their jobs. Remember, they aren't there to serve you coffee and put up with your complaints about being late. They're there to save your sorry butt in the event of an accident - and they saved everyone on that plane.

Remember that, next time you want to lip off to a flight attendant about cold coffee or warm beer. He or she may just save your life that day.

Yes, I just listened to a report stating that the Flight Crew did everything exactly right and by the book. It was a "perfect" crash landing, and then the flight attendants did everything right getting everyone off the plane.

Amazing - their calmness in the face of danger, and their ability to think clearly. They did their jobs - and that makes them heros! I'm sure the families and friends of 155 people are saying lots of prayers of gratitude for that whole crew tonight!

The cool in the face of disaster amazes me. The cockpit flight recorder of doomed aircraft demonstrates that coolness under pressure. The only sound in the cockpit of the DC-10 that lost an engine on takeoff from O'Hare, after the bang of the engine falling off, was one voice, quietly saying, "Damn." When a flight that was taking off from Dulles went down in the Potomac River, the last words on the recorder were the co-pilot saying, "We're going in," and the captain replying, "I know."Those guys have far more brass than I do - I could never do that job.

I actually hit my head on the ceiling of one of my flights (comuter plane).... i as praying and my daughter was liking the butterflies in her stomach (so brave)

I just found this article about the pilot (with pic). He's an Air Force Academy grad and former fighter pilot who's been with the airlines for 28 years. Even the manufacturer of the airplane is impressed with his landing.http://gawker.com/5132553/meet-the-hero-of-flight-1549

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
A US Airways plane has gone down in the Hudson River in Manhattan. This could very well be a big, big story.

Also, Haz-Mat has responded to the Wal Mart that is about 3 miles from my home. The State Patrol has the place completely locked down and several people have been taken to a hospital.

As with any breaking news story, may of the early reports will turn out to be false but there is already speculating that the pilot of the airliner knew he was going down, and guided the plane into the river to avoid what could have been a real disaster had he taken it down into Manhattan.

Of course, since every major news service in the US is headquartered in New York, the event will be covered wall-to-wall.

Follow-up to the story...two days ago, Germantown Police arrested two teenagers from Menomonee Falls, which is next to Germantown. The two morons were arraigned yesterday in Washington County. It appears the event was nothing more than an ill-conceived prank that went wrong.

Related to US Airways Crash: Breaking News Story

1. What happened to the US Airways plane?

A US Airways plane crashed into the Hudson River in Manhattan, possibly due to technical difficulties.

2. How serious is the situation?

The crash is being taken very seriously, with Haz-Mat and state patrol responding and the area being locked down. Several people have been taken to the hospital.

3. Is this a major news story?

Yes, this is a big, big story as it involves a commercial airliner crashing in a heavily populated area.

4. What is the latest information about the pilot's actions?

Early reports suggest that the pilot may have known the plane was going down and made the split-second decision to guide it into the river instead of risking a disaster in Manhattan.

5. How will the news coverage be affected by the location of the crash?

Given that many major news outlets are headquartered in New York, the event will likely be covered extensively and continuously as more information becomes available.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
Replies
Views
annew