• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Big Decission to Make (Kinda Long)

In summary, the individual is unsure of which career path to pursue and is seeking advice and prayers. They have a degree in Therapeutic Recreation but are more interested in becoming a physical therapist. They have applied to physical therapy schools but have not been accepted and are considering other options such as getting an ROTC scholarship, joining the military, becoming a teacher, or continuing to recruit for a job that would allow them to focus on their ultimate goal of becoming a physical therapist. They are also unhappy with their current job as a unit secretary at a hospital. They have experience in physical therapy but had to switch to a higher paying job. They are struggling to balance their job and making phone calls to schools to find out what they need to do to improve
LOVEpamperedchef
I have to make a change but do not know which path to go. Let me give you some background.
I went to college and got a BS in Theraputic Recreation, the easist way to explain it is I did my intership with the Parks and Rec department and did a lot of work with special olympics and also other community activities that involved individuals with disabilities. Well I loved it but it was more of a hobby for me than an actual career. I wanted to go to physical therapy school. I have applied to several schools over the past 2 years since graduating from college and have not been accepted. I was on the wait list at one school but they did not get to me.
I am currently working at a hospital as a unit secretary and I am very unhappy. I work 4-5 nights a week, 12 shifts from 7p-7a. The hospital is very unsafe and when you try to do the right thing, you get in trouble for it. All in all, not a good place to work.
I am young, in a serious relationship but have tons of options to consider.
1. Try to get an ROTC scholarship to get into a physical therapy program;
2. Join the military and then try and get into school;
3. Become a teacher through the lateral entry program;
4. Get my butt in gear and recruit like crazy and not have to work (this is my ultimate goal but I have not gotten anyone to sign, I do have 1-2 leads that are leaning towards no)
Any advice would be welcomed and prayers would be greatly apprieciated.

1. Try to get an ROTC scholarship to get into a physical therapy program

I'm over 35,so military options are no longer open to me. If I had to do it over again, I would pursue ROTC.

A consideration I didn't have at your age, was active duty in the mideast, where women are openly repressed. I don't know what the military is offering on that point.

My father was an officer in the AF and my aunt just retitred from active duty. My mom has been talking with my aunt and seems to think that I would not be getting "shipped off to Iraq" I want to go into the medical field and so I would probably to stateside until I get into school. After that I would still be somewhere safe because they will send people home to get physical therapy.
I do have a call into a guy that I would have to talk to about going in as an officer.

I just wish sometimes that God sent letters in the mail that said exactly what we all are supposed to do, or even a little sign would be nice. I guess that would just be too easy.

It would be easier that way, wouldn't it?

Do you know why you aren't getting in to the PT schools? If you don't , call and ask them because they will tell you why other applicants were chosen over you. Then, fix what you need to to be a stronger candidate. One thing I think would help is if you had a job more connected to the PT field. Most schools favor those with direct related patient experience-like PT assistant or anything that would give you patient contact. A job like that will help you focus and evaluate whether you still want to be a PT as well. Don't join the military or become a teacher if those aren't your dreams. Keep up with PC while doing everything else and then, if PT isn't for you, you'll already have a great start with PC! Good luck!

I worked as a PT aide for two years after graduation. I have tons of experience with PT. The only problem is the pay is not enough to pay the bills, so I switched to secretary, which gets paid more plus has shift difference and weekend difference. I have been meaning to make some phone calls to the schools to find out what I need to do but when you work 4-5 12hour 3rd shift it is really hard to do anything when you get home other than sleep. Main reason why I need to change jobs.

:D
LOVEpamperedchef said:
I have to make a change but do not know which path to go. Let me give you some background.
I went to college and got a BS in Theraputic Recreation, the easist way to explain it is I did my intership with the Parks and Rec department and did a lot of work with special olympics and also other community activities that involved individuals with disabilities. Well I loved it but it was more of a hobby for me than an actual career. I wanted to go to physical therapy school. I have applied to several schools over the past 2 years since graduating from college and have not been accepted. I was on the wait list at one school but they did not get to me.
I am currently working at a hospital as a unit secretary and I am very unhappy. I work 4-5 nights a week, 12 shifts from 7p-7a. The hospital is very unsafe and when you try to do the right thing, you get in trouble for it. All in all, not a good place to work.
I am young, in a serious relationship but have tons of options to consider.
1. Try to get an ROTC scholarship to get into a physical therapy program;
2. Join the military and then try and get into school;
3. Become a teacher through the lateral entry program;
4. Get my butt in gear and recruit like crazy and not have to work (this is my ultimate goal but I have not gotten anyone to sign, I do have 1-2 leads that are leaning towards no)
Any advice would be welcomed and prayers would be greatly apprieciated.
Wow, what a small world. I don't know of anyone besides my small class who graduated with emphasis in Recreation Therapy as their Major!:eek::D I graduated in 2001 but married and got pregnant right after doing my internship at a County Mental Hospital. They offered me a job there after having a baby but I decided to stay home and raise my kids. Had I not had kids right away I would have takenn that job offer -as I loved working with all of the diverse population of patients who entered the hospital. It was fun, laid back and very interesting to say the least! I am not sure what I will do once the kids are in school? TR or something else?

Sorry I have no advice, just wanted to say hello to a fellow TR grad! Good luck to you!

I highly suggest you DO NOT go active duty THEN try to get into the program. Too many things can come into play. I do, however, suggest you contact a Recruiter and ask questions about direct-commissioning programs. I know PAs can come in as Capts and they're always looking for them. You never know what kind of program may exist with or without ROTC.

Now, that being said, do not go active unless you are fully prepared to deploy. There are PTs downrange. Not in the heat of things but they have MANY medical units set up down there. Honestely, as a retired NCO, I have a hard time recommending the military to ANYONE anymore. It's changed a lot and unless you truly feel that patriotic tug, you have to deal with alot these days and having a family can be tough. (Assuming you want a family one day.) Though I will admit, I enlisted back in the day when they didn't even mention the possiblity of war. It was all about the travel and education. When Desert Shield started, a ridiculous amount of people had the attitude of "this is not what I signed up for." Well, yea, we all did. They just failed to mention it.

Now, just because you haven't recruited as many as you would like does not mean you CAN'T!!! Maybe the timing just wasn't right or maybe even more training would help. Give you a broader scope of resources to pull from and best figure out what works for you.

First and foremost, find your passion and make sure you're pursing something related to that! An unfullfilling career is something no one wants.

Best of luck!

I love ya Debi, but everyone's military experience and perspective is different. I don't have any personal hesitation about recommending the armed forces as an option, but I fully agree about not pretending there are any 'safe' positions. (Uh, it is the military after all :eek: .)

Please feel free to PM me Laurielle. I'm a retired Army officer (with non-com time as well)....and an AF brat too:). Shoot me your questions and I'll try to get you some no BS answers from friends in the medical ranks here at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center.

(This is the only post I'm going to make on this thread...don't want to get into a debate with anyone regarding the merits or not of military service. It's each person's individual decision.)
camouflage.gif

Last edited:
legacypc46 said:
I love ya Debi, but everyone's military experience and perspective is different.

Exactly! And debate isn't even an option. Because we each have our opinion and the right to it. :thumbup:

Love you too Kris!

I want to start by saying thank you for all your advice so far, keep it coming, I know that there are more of you out there with advice. I went to the Board of Education today to see if I would qualify for the lateral entry program. I know that teachers are in such big demand all over. I want to keep my options open and pray that the old saying, "God will open doors and close windows," will apply in this situation. Again thanks for all of you with your support and advice.

With your degree you could also work as a Director of Activities in nursing homes and similar facilities. That is what I did with my degree (TR) until I decided to go to law school (another story!) and stay home with my kiddos which is where I still am.

Related to Big Decission to Make (Kinda Long)

1. What are the benefits of purchasing the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set?

The Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set is a comprehensive set that includes all the essential tools for cooking and baking. The set includes high-quality knives, utensils, cookware, and bakeware, making it a one-stop-shop for all your cooking needs. Additionally, purchasing the set can save you money compared to buying each item individually.

2. Is the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set dishwasher safe?

Yes, all the items in the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set are dishwasher safe. This makes cleaning up after cooking a breeze and saves you time and effort.

3. Can I customize the items included in the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set?

Unfortunately, the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set comes as a pre-packaged set and cannot be customized. However, Pampered Chef offers a wide range of individual products that you can purchase separately to add to your collection.

4. Are the knives in the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set sharp?

Yes, the knives included in the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set are made from high-quality stainless steel and are designed to be sharp and durable. They also come with a protective sheath to keep them sharp and safe when not in use.

5. Does the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set come with any warranties?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a limited lifetime warranty on all items included in the Big Decision to Make (Kinda Long) set. This means that if any item becomes defective or breaks under normal use, it will be replaced free of charge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
heat123
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat