• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking a 12" (Non-Skillet) Cake

In summary, a baking core is a cone-shaped object that is inserted into the middle of a cake pan that is larger than 10" so that all of the cake cooks at the same pace. It is helpful for ensuring a proper rise in the cake, and can be found at specialty stores.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
I know there are some great bakers out there, so I have a few questions!

Has anyone used a baking core while baking a 12" (or bigger) cake?

I'm making a large cake for a baby shower, and last night practiced it in my 12" skillet as I'm waiting for the real cake pans I ordered to arrive. Not too surprisingly the middle of the cake didn't rise as well as it does when I normally make this recipe (in a 9" size). Hopefully using a proper cake pan will help, but I'm going to try using a baking core as well, just in case.

Has anyone used a baking core before? Any advice? It seems that it should be pretty straightforward, but I'm starting to get a little nervous about this cake now!!

Also, does anyone know if I can get a baking core at Joann's or Hobby Lobby, or will I need to go to a specialty store. I know where there is one, but it's a lot further away. I'm also trying to avoid unnecessary trips out to kid-unfriendly stores! (Hobby Lobby + 3 yr old DS = A NIGHTMARE for me!). I guess I should probably call before making the trip out...

I haven't seen baking cores at JoAnn, but I haven't looked specifically for one, either.

I have a baking core, used it with my 10 inch baking pan. Got it at either JoAnn's or Michael's. It was pretty straight forward, it's got directions with it. The core did end up being a bit taller than the rest of the cake, but that's taken care of when you level it all off.

Thanks NooraK! Hopefully my Joanns has it. I just remembered that my DH has tomorrow off work, so maybe I can sneak out without any kiddos in tow. Now that would be a treat!

A baking core is an almost cone looking thing that you would place in the middle of a cake pan that is larger than 10" and fill with cake batter so that all of the cake cooks at the same pace. Without one, as AnnieBee mentioned, the center of the cake doesn't rise as well, or doesn't cook thoroughly, because heat is only being conducted from the bottom of the pan. The core conducts the heat from the bottom up into the center of the cake. The reason for filling the core, is so that you have a piece of cake to plug up the hole that will be created in the center of the cake.

Decorator Preferred® Bakeware Heating Core - Wilton

Your cakes are very beautiful. when I bake a large cake, I just turn my flower nail upside down and use it instead of a baking core. I can't remember if I am calling it the proper name, but it is the nail that you use when making roses or other flowers on. Mine is an old Wilton #13 and it is about 2" wide. I use it whn I make my roses. Hope this helps! Just make sure that you grease it too. I just turn the cake over when done and take it out. Only a little hole is left.

Good Luck!

Thanks you! I'll add a picture to my album of this one when it is done!

The flower nail is a great idea, I have a couple so I can use one if I can't get hold of a baking core.

I was at the Hobby Lobby in Jenison yesterday, and I saw one with the Wilton Baking stuff.

That's great - I'm just about to head out there with DD, thanks Becky!

What type of pan should I use to bake a 12" cake?

The best pan to use for baking a 12" cake is a standard 12-inch round cake pan. This will ensure that your cake bakes evenly and has the perfect shape for decorating.

How much batter do I need for a 12" cake?

The amount of batter needed for a 12" cake will depend on the recipe you are using. However, as a general rule, a 12" cake will require about double the amount of batter needed for an 8" cake.

Do I need to adjust the baking time for a 12" cake?

Yes, you will need to adjust the baking time for a 12" cake. Since it is a larger cake, it will take longer to bake. Generally, a 12" cake will take about 5-10 minutes longer than an 8" cake. It is important to keep an eye on the cake and use a toothpick to test for doneness.

How do I prevent my 12" cake from sticking to the pan?

To prevent your 12" cake from sticking to the pan, it is important to properly grease and flour the pan before adding the batter. You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for extra insurance. Once the cake is done baking, let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.

Can I use a cake mix to make a 12" cake?

Yes, you can use a cake mix to make a 12" cake. However, you will need to adjust the ingredients according to the package instructions for a larger cake size. You may also need to adjust the baking time. It is always best to follow the instructions on the cake mix box for best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Barry Carlton
  • fikibiff
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
MissChef
  • esavvymom