• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can You Handle Rude Behavior from Potential Clients?

In summary, the conversation is about a consultant's experience at a bazaar where she offered a door prize in exchange for email addresses for her monthly newsletter. One woman who entered the drawing also expressed interest in booking a party, but has been avoiding the consultant's calls and even hung up on her when she did answer. The consultant and others in the conversation share similar experiences with people who say they are interested in hosting a party but then back out or avoid communication. They discuss different strategies for dealing with this and express frustration with rude and immature behavior. One consultant also shares her experience with a host who cancelled her party after showing initial interest, causing the consultant to doubt if the host had ever started inviting guests.
Chef_TK
Please tell me that I am not that only one this has happened to. I did a bazaar in November, while there I was doing a door prize at the end of the weekend. In order to enter the contest I had them fill out the survey drawing slip. I told them that if they gave me their email that I would add them to my monthly newsletter.

So this one girl comes up and fills it out, she also said she would like to book a party and to call her after the holidays. Great, so I called her in Jan, and she said that she had to talk to the girls at work and to call her back at the end of Jan for a end of Feb show. So I have call her Monday, at 5pm, no answer, I try back at 8pm (she is young with no kids so I didn't think it was too late) she tells me she is busy and to call her Tuesday after 4pm. I do that no answer

Now here is the kicker. I just called her at 5:30pm, and she answers. I say "Hi, can I speak to Mary (not the real name)? She said hold on let me get her. Now I know it was her, but whatever. She then hangs up on me! WTH, is she 5!!! So I call back and her husband answers and he says that Mary isn't there. I just said fine, I won't be calling her again, thanks.

I just think that it's rude and immature the way she handled it. If she didn't want to do a PC party, be mature enough to tell me so. Needless to say I don't plan on calling her again. lol

I have a few people like that...who only answer when I call from work or my boyfriend's phone...but if I call from my phone with my name on the call display, they're never home!

Alot of people say they will have a party when entering a drawing, because they think it helps their chances of winning.

Her way of handling it was very immature though.

I didn't think of that Becky, that she just didn't it to win. But in her case it didn't work, she didn't win the doorprize. lol (ok that's mean, but my pregnancy hormones, have me currently upset with her)

I had that happen once and she was really excited at the show. Her husband told me that she wasn't interested so I don't even know for SURE if she changed her mind or what. I tell people at shows that they should mark if the *think* they are interested in hosting a show. That just tells me to follow up with them. If they change their mind, that's fine! I do that too...so it's allowed! I also leave messages to that affect. If you've changed your mind, I would appreciate if you'd let me know so that I don't keep calling.It doesn't happen often that it's overt. Sometimes, it seems like it, but then I'll have a VERY happy person that appreciates that I didn't give up on them. Their lives can be crazy and PC is NOT their first priority. They don't think about it being annoying to us (or in this case rude). I LIKE hearing NO. I'd rather a yes, but no is better than an insincere maybe!

When I do drawings at fairs and bazaar's, I let people know they are entering a drawing for a FREE cooking show. That has helped me tremendously with people saying that want to have a show, hoping that will help their chances at winning a product and not really wanting to have a show.

The first fair I did that at I had only about 20 or so slips, but I got 14 bookings. I'll take it!

Last edited:
vent!That is terrible! How do people get along when they are so rude!

I am having a problem with a host right now. I did a show for her in Nov. She loved the Jan special so she booked from herself for a Jan 11 show.

I gave her the host pack and invitations back at the original show. I called her in the very beginning of Jan to get her recipe choices and see how the responses were coming along. When I verified the time that I would arrive and the show would start, she responded in a way that made me doubt she had even started inviting anyone. When I called 2 days before to get guest count, she cancelled the show. OK, no problem. I was expecting it so I was pretty nice about it.

I asked if she wanted to re-schedule. She said YES. She wanted to try to get it in during January for the special, but she was having a hard time with the dates. So I told her if she had the show on Feb 1st I could still give her January specials and she should start collecting orders prior to her show. (I know I know...)

So I have been calling her since the 16th (4x since then) and have only been getting her machine. She will not call back! This last time I called (Monday), I left a message and told her I needed to get her recipe choices so I could provide her with a grocery list. I also told her if something had come up and she couldn't do the show, that was fine, I just really needed to know.

Now it is 2 days before again and I do not know if she is having the show! It is over an hour away. I would need to leave directly from work on Friday to do the show. So I really need to know so I can pack the stuff the night before! UGH!

To top it off, DH and I are having 12-14 people over Saturday night, I have a cluster meeting on Saturday so I could REALLY use Friday night to get ready. But since I *think* I have a show - I have been trying to get everything ready all week long driving myself crazy. If I just knew right now that I wouldn't have a show on Friday, I could plan accordingly. We all have lives too!
VENT OVER! Sigh. Thanks for listening.

But, yes, people can be rude. At least you know not waste any more calls on this person.

Chef_TK said:
I didn't think of that Becky, that she just didn't it to win. But in her case it didn't work, she didn't win the doorprize. lol (ok that's mean, but my pregnancy hormones, have me currently upset with her)

I think you have every right to be upset (pregnant or not!). Whatever her reason for saying she was interested - it would have been alot less drama to just say "no thanks" than to string you along and act like a child.

Been there, maybe you saw my post from this week titled DEAD BEAT HOSTS.

LOL

I feel your pain!

kam said:
So I have been calling her since the 16th (4x since then) and have only been getting her machine. She will not call back! This last time I called (Monday), I left a message and told her I needed to get her recipe choices so I could provide her with a grocery list. I also told her if something had come up and she couldn't do the show, that was fine, I just really needed to know.

Now it is 2 days before again and I do not know if she is having the show! It is over an hour away. I would need to leave directly from work on Friday to do the show. So I really need to know so I can pack the stuff the night before! UGH!

To top it off, DH and I are having 12-14 people over Saturday night, I have a cluster meeting on Saturday so I could REALLY use Friday night to get ready. But since I *think* I have a show - I have been trying to get everything ready all week long driving myself crazy. If I just knew right now that I wouldn't have a show on Friday, I could plan accordingly. We all have lives too!
VENT OVER! Sigh. Thanks for listening.

But, yes, people can be rude. At least you know not waste any more calls on this person.

You could do what several people do with MIA hosts - call her Thursday night and tell her that unless you hear otherwise you will be there Friday night at "X" time, ready for her show - and you are excited and just know there is going to be a ton of people ready for fun! I bet you get a call right back! :eek::rolleyes:

I thank people that tell me NO. Quick wasting both of our time and just say no! I have a life to and don't want to spend hours trying to track people down. I have a lady from last March who wanted to host a show. We talked about a couple different months, never set a date because she wanted to co-host with a friend. Yeah, never has booked a show. Will answer my calls every couple of month telling me to check back, now is not a good time. Just say NOOOOO!!!!!!

Jules711 said:
Sometimes, it seems like it, but then I'll have a VERY happy person that appreciates that I didn't give up on them. Their lives can be crazy and PC is NOT their first priority. They don't think about it being annoying to us (or in this case rude). I LIKE hearing NO. I'd rather a yes, but no is better than an insincere maybe!

YES! I just had a recruit lead that I thought was avoiding me but I thought, "Darnit she said she wanted to do it so I'm going to keep calling her until she tells me to bug off" sure enough she was SO HAPPY when we finally spoke. She's been crazy busy and meaning to call but PC was not her #1 right now. She's hosting a show and will be signing then! SO worth it to keep calling. I know some people feel that that is disrespectful of your time, but honestly...it's my job to call them, not theirs to call me.

I have a guy that expressed interest in the opportunity almost 3 years ago. He said it wasn't the right time but to keep him apprised of specials. So...every few months when PC had a recruiting special I'd e-mail him, and he'd respond back saying to keep him on but still not ready. When the forged cutlery recruiting special came out earlier this month, I e-mailed him again. He responded back right away that he is no longer interested in the opportunity at all, life was too busy, doesn't get to see his wife, etc., but maybe in 25 years when he retired.

For about a minute I was really irritated, but that passed really quickly as I realized his honesty meant so much more than stringing me along.

I e-mailed him back and thanked him for his "no". I told him I appreciated his honesty and asked if he still wanted to be on my e-newsletter list. I also told him I put it on my schedule to contact him in 25 years.:D

He responded back and thanked me for the laugh and yes, wanted to be on the e-newsletter. He said he just didn't want me to waste my time on him. LOL!

Anyway, why can't they all just be like that? Just be honest!

dianevill said:
I have a guy that expressed interest in the opportunity almost 3 years ago. He said it wasn't the right time but to keep him apprised of specials. So...every few months when PC had a recruiting special I'd e-mail him, and he'd respond back saying to keep him on but still not ready. When the forged cutlery recruiting special came out earlier this month, I e-mailed him again. He responded back right away that he is no longer interested in the opportunity at all, life was too busy, doesn't get to see his wife, etc., but maybe in 25 years when he retired.

For about a minute I was really irritated, but that passed really quickly as I realized his honesty meant so much more than stringing me along.

I e-mailed him back and thanked him for his "no". I told him I appreciated his honesty and asked if he still wanted to be on my e-newsletter list. I also told him I put it on my schedule to contact him in 25 years.:D

He responded back and thanked me for the laugh and yes, wanted to be on the e-newsletter. He said he just didn't want me to waste my time on him. LOL!

Anyway, why can't they all just be like that? Just be honest!

Who knows, by keeping him on your newsletter list, he may call back at some point!

That's very true. You never know when someone's life takes a twist!

ChefJoyJ said:
You could do what several people do with MIA hosts - call her Thursday night and tell her that unless you hear otherwise you will be there Friday night at "X" time, ready for her show - and you are excited and just know there is going to be a ton of people ready for fun! I bet you get a call right back! :eek::rolleyes:

But what if she still doesn't call??? I am really afraid she just won't be there. If this show was close to my house it would be no problem - but I work 40 min from home and this show is 45 minutes on the other side. So it would take atleast 2 hrs for me to go there, find her not home and then drive home. Has anyone else ever shown up and had no one home???

I just left her a message...I told her I was planning on being at her house at 6pm on Friday, but I did not know what recipes she wanted me to make and I needed to give her the ingredient list. I also mentioned that there is some question about the weather (wintery mix expected and she lives on a mountain - real back roads). So I am hoping that gives her an easy out without having to admit she does not want to do a show.

I have had several hosts who are sneaking behind their husband about booking a show. They talk to me if they are alone but act aloof if their husband is there. Weird, but true.

kam said:
But what if she still doesn't call??? I am really afraid she just won't be there. If this show was close to my house it would be no problem - but I work 40 min from home and this show is 45 minutes on the other side. So it would take atleast 2 hrs for me to go there, find her not home and then drive home. Has anyone else ever shown up and had no one home???

I just left her a message...I told her I was planning on being at her house at 6pm on Friday, but I did not know what recipes she wanted me to make and I needed to give her the ingredient list. I also mentioned that there is some question about the weather (wintery mix expected and she lives on a mountain - real back roads). So I am hoping that gives her an easy out without having to admit she does not want to do a show.

I didn't realize you were that far away! :eek: I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you should just call tomorrow, if you don't hear from her tonight, and just tell her that unless she calls you by "X" time, then you'll have to assume the show is cancelled, b/c you haven't spoken to her since (whenever you last spoke) and you haven't finalized anything, including the menu...so as much as you were looking forward to a fun cooking show with her and her friends...and you just knew it was going to be fun...but you're going to have to assume it's cancelled unless she calls to tell you otherwise. Close with telling her you hope to hear from her tonight b/c you were looking forward to it. (or something positive)

Veterans - how this sound? Good idea? Not a good idea? I'm new, so still fine-tuning these things.

ChefJoyJ said:
I didn't realize you were that far away! :eek: I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe you should just call tomorrow, if you don't hear from her tonight, and just tell her that unless she calls you by "X" time, then you'll have to assume the show is cancelled, b/c you haven't spoken to her since (whenever you last spoke) and you haven't finalized anything, including the menu...so as much as you were looking forward to a fun cooking show with her and her friends...and you just knew it was going to be fun...but you're going to have to assume it's cancelled unless she calls to tell you otherwise. Close with telling her you hope to hear from her tonight b/c you were looking forward to it. (or something positive)

Veterans - how this sound? Good idea? Not a good idea? I'm new, so still fine-tuning these things.

DH is pressuring me to cancel. Especially with the chance of bad weather. Even if it doesn't snow - and only rains, by the time I would leave the show the roads would probably be icy.
Thank you for providing me with some positive wording. I think I will leave the message with your wording. I may also borrow someone else's cell phone to give her a call since my home phone and cell phone would show my name on caller ID.

It is just so frustrating since she has had a show - and SHE wanted to do another one right away.

Good call on the cell phone - she may pick up right away if it's another number. If you're going to do that, then perhaps wait until she is home? Then there's a better chance of you talking to a live person and getting a definitive answer one way or another. :)

Good luck and let us know what happens! :)

Kam - here's what I do to those that haven't called me back and I'm figuring that they are cancelling but don't have the decency to call me back and it's worked every single time. This is the message that I leave ('cuz we KNOW they won't pick up the phone):
"Hey "Heather", it's Andrea with Pampered Chef! You must be one busy lady because you haven't been able to return my calls. I just wanted to let you know that I am so excited about your show tomorrow night! And to make things easier for you, I'll pick out a recipe and get the ingredients and then you can just pay me back at your show. I'll also do mapquest to get directions to your house. I'll see you at 6:15 tomorrow night!"
And by golly, about an hour or LESS later, I'm getting a call from them. Oh, I'm so sorry, I've been meaning to call you....blah, blah, blah. But, at least I do hear from them!!!! Those little weanies!!!!!!! :p

Andrea - I suggested a similar call and I think she tried it, but she still hadn't heard from her host! :eek: I mean, how hard is it to pick up the phone - either to answer or to just say now is not a good time to host, I need to cancel? :rolleyes:

Hopefully she'll call her back today! :)

c00p said:
Kam - here's what I do to those that haven't called me back and I'm figuring that they are cancelling but don't have the decency to call me back and it's worked every single time. This is the message that I leave ('cuz we KNOW they won't pick up the phone):
"Hey "Heather", it's Andrea with Pampered Chef! You must be one busy lady because you haven't been able to return my calls. I just wanted to let you know that I am so excited about your show tomorrow night! And to make things easier for you, I'll pick out a recipe and get the ingredients and then you can just pay me back at your show. I'll also do mapquest to get directions to your house. I'll see you at 6:15 tomorrow night!"
And by golly, about an hour or LESS later, I'm getting a call from them. Oh, I'm so sorry, I've been meaning to call you....blah, blah, blah. But, at least I do hear from them!!!! Those little weanies!!!!!!! :p

I left the message last night that I was planning on being at her house at 6pm on Friday. But I did not offer to buy the groceries. I told her I needed to find out her recipe choices so she would have time to go to the grocery store to pick up the needed items. I also mentioned the possible inclement weather to GIVE HER AN EASY OUT!!! Still no return call!

And I know I am using the right number. This is the same number I used when she hosted in Nov. And we talked plenty then.

I am sooo afraid she will just not be there. No skin off her back if I show up and no one is home... If this show was closer to home I would definitely do it and show up.

kam said:
I left the message last night that I was planning on being at her house at 6pm on Friday. But I did not offer to buy the groceries. I told her I needed to find out her recipe choices so she would have time to go to the grocery store to pick up the needed items. I also mentioned the possible inclement weather to GIVE HER AN EASY OUT!!! Still no return call!

And I know I am using the right number. This is the same number I used when she hosted in Nov. And we talked plenty then.

I am sooo afraid she will just not be there. No skin off her back if I show up and no one is home... If this show was closer to home I would definitely do it and show up.

Just throwing this out there - but did you ever think that she might not be home? What if she is out of town or something?

ChefBeckyD said:
Just throwing this out there - but did you ever think that she might not be home? What if she is out of town or something?

Good question Becky, I hadn't thought of that either. Well, that would stink for kam too - to drive over an hour in possibly inclement weather to a house where no one is home. If it was a family emergency though, PC would be the furthest thing from her mind.

(although, I know I would have at least realized that my party was coming up and quickly got off an email or phone call to cancel, but that's my conscientiousness catching up with me)

It just seems to me if she is a past host, there would be less of the flakiness factor - because there would be more of a relationship. She wouldn't be blowing off someone & something unknown, she would be blowing off HER PC lady! So, I just have to wonder if there is something more going on....

True, I hadn't thought of that...

ETA - she did say that the lady was kinda "flaky" (my words, not hers) at the beg. of Jan - cancelled and rescheduled her show b/c the invites hadn't been sent. As a past host, she should know invites need to be sent. So...makes me wonder if she just didn't get them out and is feeling guilty about cancelling or rescheduling again.

Last edited:
ChefJoyJ said:
True, I hadn't thought of that...

ETA - she did say that the lady was kinda "flaky" (my words, not hers) at the beg. of Jan - cancelled and rescheduled her show b/c the invites hadn't been sent. As a past host, she should know invites need to be sent. So...makes me wonder if she just didn't get them out and is feeling guilty about cancelling or rescheduling again.

That's what I figured - she was feeling guilty about this being her second cancellation. I don't know if her being out of town is valid since I started leaving messages on 1/16 (for a 2/1 show).

BUT.....DH just called and SHE CALLED ME BACK AND LEFT A MESSAGE!!! Yea! She knows I work FT, so I am sure that is why she called at 11am. She said she is sorry that she has not had a chance to return any of my calls but she will need to cancel her show! She will call me in 2 weeks to re-schedule. (She said that twice).

OK, I am SO GLAD that she called - but come on - why wait until the DAY BEFORE to cancel??? Do people think we NO LIVES?? I am having a get together at my house Saturday night and I have been killing myself all week trying to prep as much as I can since I ASSUMED I WAS BUSY FRIDAY NIGHT! I am glad I have Friday night available now, but I would have like to have known earlier. Sigh.

I know we all go through this, and I know this will not be my last host that does this to me...but maybe I will be a little less frustrated next time! (I hope :) )

Thanks for all the ideas - and I am glad I was not the one who had to call HER to cancel!!

I'm glad she called you back! Stinks it was to cancel, but now you know and you can relax Friday evening, instead of cleaning and getting stuff done, since you've been doing most of it this week anyway! :)

So, are you going to let her back on your calendar?

ChefJoyJ said:
I'm glad she called you back! Stinks it was to cancel, but now you know and you can relax Friday evening, instead of cleaning and getting stuff done, since you've been doing most of it this week anyway!
Yes, so true!

pamperedlinda said:
So, are you going to let her back on your calendar?

I am wondering this also...
Part of me thinks I should return her call: "Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know that you need to cancel your show. I look forward to hearing from you in 2 weeks to re-schedule." I feel that I should let her know I got her message.

But part of me wants to do nothing and just wait to see if she ever calls me back.

But either way, I will not be calling in 2 weeks for a re-schedule. I will let her do that. I guess if she calls, I will let her re-schedule. But I may just mention that while cancellations do occur, I really need to know atleast a week before the show.

How does everyone else handle this?? I know that many have 3 strikes - but this host only has 2 right now...

I had a host reschedule on me 4 times - all the night before the show. She kept saying she wanted to have the show and she really wanted to reschedule AGAIN. I said, "it sounds like things are a bit hectic for you right now. Why don't I send you another catalog and some more order forms and we can do a catalog show?" She never called me back. But at least I didn't say "no way" but I did make it clear I didn't want to schedule another cooking show with her.

kam said:
How does everyone else handle this?? I know that many have 3 strikes - but this host only has 2 right now...

I just play it by ear. If I think someone is giving me the runaround I just don't call them back. I am NOT going to waste my time.

In fact, I even had a past host who wasn't the most pleasant person to work with who wanted to do another show. I told her I thought it was in our best interest not to work with one another ever again. I'm sorry but I have little patience for those type of people.

dianevill said:

Sounds like the wife and he need to pair up and do it together as a team. One of them sign, but they both work the biz. My husband - aside from making the calls and doing the shows, is very much part of my biz. If the man wants to do it, I bet the wife would go along and help with setting up, cleaning up, etc...it would be great time together and making money at the same time!

1. Why did you ask for people's email addresses at the bazaar?

I asked for people's email addresses at the bazaar as a way to add them to my monthly newsletter. This allows me to keep in touch with potential customers and inform them about promotions, new products, and upcoming events.

2. How did the potential party host initially express interest in booking a party?

The potential party host expressed interest in booking a party by filling out the survey drawing slip at the bazaar and specifically mentioning that she would like to book a party. She also asked me to call her after the holidays to discuss further.

3. What happened when you tried to call the potential party host?

When I tried to call the potential party host, she initially told me to call her at a specific time to discuss booking a party. However, when I called at the designated time, she did not answer. I tried calling again later that evening and the next day, but she did not answer or return my calls.

4. How did the potential party host's behavior become rude and immature?

The potential party host's behavior became rude and immature when she answered the phone, pretended to be someone else, and then hung up on me when I asked to speak with her. This behavior showed a lack of respect and maturity in handling the situation.

5. Will you continue to pursue booking a party with this potential host?

No, I have decided not to continue pursuing booking a party with this potential host. Her behavior was unprofessional and disrespectful, and I do not wish to work with someone who acts in this manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• beepampered
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • linojackie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • Bill Faber