• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aRecipe for Susan - Curried Sweet Potato Latkes

In summary, to make Curried Sweet Potato Latkes, grate and squeeze out excess liquid from 2 large sweet potatoes and 1 onion. Mix with 2 eggs, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp curry powder, and 1 tsp salt. Fry spoonfuls in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. You can use regular potatoes instead, but may need to adjust flour. You can make ahead and reheat in the oven, or freeze uncooked for up to 3 months. Serve with toppings or as a side dish or appetizer.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Susan -

Don't know if you make Latkes during the Holidays, but I just found this in my Taste of Home magazine and tehy cook pretty good!

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 10 min/batch
Yield: 24 latkes

1/2 cup all-purpose flours
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
4 cups grated peeled sweet potatoes
oil for frying

In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in eggs and milk until blended. Add sweet potatoes, toss to coat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.

hey there janet - thanks so much!! these look great and i can write off all the calories by saying i'm getting lots of beta carotene LOL

seriously, it's very sweet of you to think of me on this first night of hanukah :)

Hi Susan,Thanks for sharing this recipe! I've actually never tried making latkes before, but I'm definitely going to give this one a try. The addition of curry powder and cumin sounds really interesting and I'm sure it adds a great flavor to the sweet potatoes. Do you have any tips or tricks for making the perfect latkes? I'm always looking for new recipes to try during the holidays. Thanks again for sharing!

1. How do I make the Curried Sweet Potato Latkes?

To make the Curried Sweet Potato Latkes, you will need 2 large sweet potatoes, 1 onion, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp salt, and oil for frying. First, grate the sweet potatoes and onion, then squeeze out any excess liquid. Mix in the eggs, flour, curry powder, and salt. Heat oil in a pan and drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan, flattening them with a spatula. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and serve warm.

2. Can I use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes?

Yes, you can substitute regular potatoes for sweet potatoes in this recipe. However, the flavor and texture will be slightly different. You may also need to adjust the amount of flour used to get the right consistency for the latkes.

3. Can I make these latkes ahead of time and reheat them?

Yes, you can make the latkes ahead of time and reheat them in the oven or toaster oven. Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.

4. Can I freeze the Curried Sweet Potato Latkes?

Yes, you can freeze the uncooked latkes for up to 3 months. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to cook, defrost in the fridge overnight before frying.

5. What can I serve with the Curried Sweet Potato Latkes?

These latkes can be served as a side dish or as an appetizer. They pair well with a variety of toppings, such as sour cream, applesauce, or chutney. You can also serve them with a side salad for a complete meal.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
janezapchef
Replies