• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Your Kitchen Shears Still Sharp After 8 Years of Use?

In summary,The host says that her $15 self-sharpening scissors have lasted for eight years, but she recommends selling them to buy the new black ones. Someone else recommends cutting aluminum foil with scissors to sharpen the scissors.
amyry
I know they are "self-sharpening" but do they eventually go dull? I have a host who has had a pair for 8 years and she feels they are dull-any ideas on how to get them sharp again or should I sell her the new black ones?:)

Sell her the new ones. 8 years is plenty of use that she got out of her $15, she should be able to part with another $15...

I have heard of cutting aluminum foil with scissors in general to sharpen them, but I am not sure it would work.

gilliandanielle said:
I have heard of cutting aluminum foil with scissors in general to sharpen them, but I am not sure it would work.

I cross sell The can opener & shears with EVERY demo. Maybe by me cutting through the lid from the can, thats how mine stay sharp.....:rolleyes:

Cut through sandpaper. It's a great way to sharpen your shears.

Ginger428 said:
I cross sell The can opener & shears with EVERY demo. Maybe by me cutting through the lid from the can, thats how mine stay sharp.....:rolleyes:
What can do you open if there aren't any canned ingredients in your demo? I would love to show the can opener and shears, but rarely used canned stuff.

gilliandanielle said:
What can do you open if there aren't any canned ingredients in your demo? I would love to show the can opener and shears, but rarely used canned stuff.

Someone else (Sorry, not sure of your name) mentioned to keep cans that you open at home or shows...and demo by opening the bottom of the can!

You might also want to check that the rivet that holds the shears together is nice and tight. If it's too loose, they won't self sharpen properly.

gilliandanielle said:

I get these real little cans of black olives & they go on sale alot, like 5 for a 1.00. There is always someone that likes olives...;)

Oh, that's a good idea!! I never thought about olives just for snacking...

I will definately have to try that can idea!! That sounds so neat!! Do you think our new kitchen sheers can do that as well?

I only have the new shears and when I tried it it worked fine :)

gilliandanielle said:
Oh, that's a good idea!! I never thought about olives just for snacking...

Also what I do, is when its time to hand out the folders & pens, I get really cheap pens from Staples that are TOTALLY sealed!!! Since I know I have their attention, cuz they are waiting for the pens....I just cut away with my Shears....;) ;) ;)

The scissors cut through the can :eek: . I never knew that. Dang it I wouldve bought a pair of scissors :mad: . I cant stop adding to my wish list.

I agree that 8 years is long enough to keep a pair of scissors. Go ahead and spend the $15 again. If she really likes the design of the old ones, make sure she orders before the 28th.

Related to Are Your Kitchen Shears Still Sharp After 8 Years of Use?

1. How often should I sharpen my kitchen shears?

It is recommended to sharpen your kitchen shears every 6 months to maintain their sharpness and effectiveness.

2. Can I use a regular knife sharpener to sharpen my kitchen shears?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular knife sharpener on your kitchen shears as they have a different blade angle and require a specialized sharpener.

3. How do I know when my shears need to be sharpened?

If you notice your kitchen shears are not cutting through food as easily as before or are tearing instead of cleanly cutting, it is time to sharpen them.

4. What is the best way to sharpen kitchen shears?

The best way to sharpen kitchen shears is by using a specialized kitchen shear sharpener or taking them to a professional sharpening service.

5. Can I sharpen serrated kitchen shears?

Yes, there are specialized sharpeners that can sharpen serrated kitchen shears. It is important to use the correct sharpener to avoid damaging the shears.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies
Views
Staci
  • sarah824
  • Products and Tips
Replies