• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are You Crafty/Or Do Other Things Your Grandma Did?

In summary, Lisa's grandma taught her how to crochet when she was 9, and she has been making crocheted blankets for her husband ever since.

Are you crafty - can you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
janetupnorth
Gold Member
After the responses to my one thread, I'm amazed how many of us aren't really that crafty so I'm going to make a survey and see what we can do...just for fun!

I wish I knew how to do some of those things. My grandmother didn't sew or quilt or any of those things. She was too busy working the farm and raising 8 kids. She did teach me how to fish and make apple turnovers.

My grandma did all kinds of things, quilt, sew, needlepoint, crochet, etc.
I do none of these...although sometimes I think I would like to learn how to knit..

The only thing I EVER did was latchhook! LOL
And I usually gave up halfway through, I don't think I ever finished one!

What's Tat?

I sew, making jewelery, christmas decorations, candles.

I also have made homemade bath products like bubble bath, shampoo, and lip balms etc.

I love all types of crafting, and want to learn quilting and crocheting and I did know a long long time ago how to tat, but I think I've lost that.

I'm the mom the teachers are happy to have my kids as I come in and help them with craft station days or suggest things they can do that are on the cheap side, but don't look it.

Lisa

I got a book on tatting once but never got around to learning. I would love to though. I taught myself how to crochet from a book as well as several other crafts. My mother did no crafts and only cooked the basics but she was a great sewer - she made all of our clothes until we were in high school and she taught me. Her parents did needlework. My dad's mom did no crafts or sewing but she was an excellent cook. She taught me how to bake and be creative in the kitchen. I'm not sure where I got it but I love making things. My family would feel that I was getting by cheap when I gave them homemade gifts (even though I would sell the same things to others) and told me so. It didn't matter to them that it was all I could afford at the time. My sons ask me to make things for them. I have to do cross stitch samplers for each of my grandchildren, they each had to have one of the trees pictured on this post, and other things.

My sons are all artistic - drawing, painting, music...

Here's a pic of something I make. The backround is velvet, the tree is made from broken champagne bottles, it is lighted with Christmas lights and the ornaments are old jewelry.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I can some what sew! And I do cross stitch. I also made all the paper stuff for my wedding. Doesn't really fall into scrapbooking but I made the invites, RSVP cards, pew bows, guest favors, programs, card box, etc.

My mom does all that stuff - crochets, needlepoints, quilts, etc. She and my dad are both artistic. My mom was an art teacher for many years, and my dad carves wood.

I inherited NONE of their talents....I'm just a a bull---- artist (ok I write and do photography)

my mom & grandmothers both sew. so i grew up sewing alot of my own things too. ive recently started making my own work clothes from the "project runway" patterns. love quilting - but its often too time consuming & i dont usually have enough room for it. love crocheting - just finished a blanket for a friend of mine who is a freshman at the university of arizona & was feeling homesick. LOVE LOVE LOVE scrapbooking/cardmaking/stamping/etc. my aunts & i get together once a month for scrapping and once a year we go to a cabin for a weekend to scrap. our next weekend trip is coming up in feb & i just cant wait!

i can sew, cross stich, cook, bake, can, all that home ec kinda stuff! i took home ec in jr high and did sewing and food conservation and preservation projects in 4H club. hehe, got to raise and slaughter my own meat too, but that is another subject. i love that kind of stuff!(crafts)

I can crochet, my mom taught me when I was 9. She passed away on Oct 4th of this year, and we put one of her afghans in her casket.

After the funeral, my 27 year old said "it's getting a little cold, I sure could use a crocheted blanket..." to which I responed "what? do you know how long it takes to make one of those things???"

I started making one for him a few weeks ago and it will be under the tree for his Christmas gift this year. Hoping he will like it.

I will start one for each of my other 2 children after the new year (I can already hear the fighting starting now!)

I use to be able to crochet but can't remember now. It was only granny squares that I knew how to do but never liked the look of blankets made out of squares! Can't knit, use to do the latchhook kits but really, what do you do with them when you're done? I tole painted for many years and have to say I did some really nice work. But again, there's only so much that you have room for/can give as gifts and then I changed to more modern furnishings such as leather, glass, chrome, funky metal art etc and they just didn't go so I gave most away and kept a few of the Christmasy ones. As for baking, I'm just too tired! I'll make cookies occasionally, or brownies but otherwise Christmas is the only time I bake. HATE cooking LOL!!

I'm like Rennea, what's tat?

Tatting is kind of like crocheting, only with a thin thread (like doilies are made from) and with a hook that is like a very small latchhook. I am much too impatient for that! I will post a pic of the afghan when it's done....it's not like I have any shows to worry about this month -- plenty of time to crochet!!!!!

My grandma used to tat beautiful doilies - my aunt took them all though! :(My one cousin knows how to tat - taught by my grandma.I realized I forgot crossstiching - oh well, that can be other...

I tried to crochet, could get a very good line going but couldn't ever get up to the second line! I don't have time to do much now. I have a cross stitch pattern for my sister to do and it has sat around so long, it's all dirty and I'll need to start all over again (good thing I wasn't too far!). I did her first four kids' names from a Precious Moments alphabet, now i have to do the last two eventually also. The largest project that I did was a huge 12" x 12" fully filled pattern. It took over a year but I got it done. Now I just need to frame it. That was over 3 years ago!

janetupnorth said:
Are you crafty/or do other things your grandma did?
The only thing I do the same as my grandma did is keep my teeth in water at night.

No one in my family is a crafter what so ever. My MIL does love to do her hand quilting and is working on one now that she keeps saying she will never finish. She is 79 and said someone will just have to finish it when she is gone so we told her she couldn't leave this earth until it was done LOL I on the other hand love to do my latch hook. I do the big ones that are like two feet by 3 or 4 feet. I have several around the house and then give some as gifts when complete. I have a method to it when I am doing one so that if I want to make another one I just buy the canvas and yarn and the pattern is all written out for me to make it easier. I latch during the winter and put the rubber backing on during the summer because of the fumes I don't want to cause a carbon monoxide issue doing it in the house during the winter LOL

I used to sew, but I haven't done much in recent years. My grandma mostly ate, drank (she was a recovering alcoholic for the last several years of her life), and played cards. I do eat, so I suppose that's something we have in common. LOL!

I voted for the last two because of course I can cook (can't we all) but I've never been one to embrace it as an art.My mother and grandmother were known for their cooking, but it was the taste, not the visual, that went into family lore.

I'm the first member of my family to be known as a good cook. Grandma made great noodles, but other than that she wasn't good. My mom is, well, also not good.

I only cook/bake. It's the only crafty thing I do. I often say that I cook to release the artist in me. (I also do some creative writing - but that's not part of the list)
My maternal Grandma was an excellent seamstress and also crocheted well. But, she was just an average cook. My Dad's side of the family is all about cooking. Everyone - men and women alike - cooks. Food is the common denominator for that side of the family. It's what brings them together. I learned to cook watching them all in the kitchen, and it's why I am not afraid to try new recipes, or alter recipes at will. They all cook by sight and taste, and that is how I was taught to cook too.

When my brothers and I get together, our spouses all hang out someplace else, and we all end up in the kitchen, cooking.:D

Mother was a fabulous homemaker but wasn't into the needlework stuff. She wonders where I came from! I knit, embroider, and my favorite is quilting. When I was a teen, she didn't make me do many chores if I was involved in a project. That's what's wrong with my housekeeping now, I'm sure!! :) I love to bake, but "regular" cooking isn't my thing.

I bake and make a lot of jellies, I can sew but don't do it that often, I knit, but mostly just scarves, and I scrap book, tear up old tee shirts and make them into other things or cuter shirts and make/decorate adult hula hoops.

I started to crochet a baby blanket for DD when I was pregnant. I joked with DH that I was really making a scarf. She is 19 months now and I cut the yarn and she wears it and the matching hat I made. :p I love to scrap, but never have time anymore. Same with sewing and everything else, wish I could find the time.

My grandmother does plastic canvas and can cook (some of that southern comfort food) and sews, my mother also does needlepoint, sews (made us clothes our dolls clothes when we were younger) and cooks. My Aunt claims that my mother is a better cook than my grandmother. Hard to tell! I remember them canning and making jellies. Homemade pickles are the best!! I can do the basic sewing and I am pretty good at baking and cooking. I like to cook and bake and try new recipes on my family all the time. My husband is a good sport about it.

Funny about the teeth KG! My grandparents had that nightly routine too...but the solution always looked like alka seltzer instead of water.

I was an art teacher for 6 years before going in to administration. I don't knit nor crochet.. even though I have in the past.. but I do a lot of crafting.. I make jewelry, stained glass windows, mosaics with stained glass and tiles, scrapbook, paint watercolor pictures. I have made pottery and used to crossstitch, do batik.....um....I think that is all. Oh I do make several kinds of bees wax hand balms and lip balms.. called noneya beeswax. The jewelry I make is fresh water pearls.... tourquoise/coral.. and swarovski crystals. I am always doing something crafty.

I had to laugh when I saw this because my grandmother was NOT crafty at all.
If she was, then it was before my time.

I got sewing lessons at the sewing store and made a dress when I was in 5th grade. I don't sew much but over the years I have made costumes, pillow covers, curtains, skirts, aprons, etc.

In 5th and 6th grade I received oil painting art lessons because I drew well. Some are very good.

I cross-stitch, scrapbook, and sometimes even make cards. I have musical talent and my family were mostly tone-deaf.

I can jellies and such which I never saw her do but am sure she probably did it way back when or with her mother.

My grandmother baked bread and I have a good memory about that. I really like baking.

So, I guess I am not much like my grandmother, or family, at all. Oh well.

I make snowflake cutouts w/ my 4 yr old....:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I make snowflake cutouts w/ my 4 yr old....:D

That counts!

My sisters both subscribe to Family Fun magazine, and their kids are now into a project that was in a recent issue - homemade window clings. You "draw" with fabric paint on waxed paper or parchment paper, let it dry, and then peel them up. They'll stick to a window like the vinyl decorative clings. The article shows snowflakes made with glittery clear paint. (My nieces in WI are getting a bunch of fabric paint as part of their gifts from me and DH, so they can make some more.) That sounds like a project you could handle with your son. :)

chefann said:
That counts!

My sisters both subscribe to Family Fun magazine, and their kids are now into a project that was in a recent issue - homemade window clings. You "draw" with fabric paint on waxed paper or parchment paper, let it dry, and then peel them up. They'll stick to a window like the vinyl decorative clings. The article shows snowflakes made with glittery clear paint. (My nieces in WI are getting a bunch of fabric paint as part of their gifts from me and DH, so they can make some more.) That sounds like a project you could handle with your son. :)

This would require being able to draw with paint, correct?

I'm embarrassed to say this :eek: but I can't even draw stick figures very well. (seriously!)

I can do the snowflakes because that's just folding and cutting. Micah thinks I'm a genius!:D Maybe DH could do the drawing things with him - he's much better at that then I am.

BUT - here is something funny! I am helping plan DS's Christmas Party at school, and we've been emailing back and forth with ideas. I suggested making the applesauce/cinnamon ornaments for the kids to decorate, and everyone thought that was a great idea! HA! I came up with the craft project for my 4 yr olds party!:rolleyes:

I have a small unadvertised business called "Got you covered" and I crochet blankets and things. Its a lot of fun for me. My grandmother taught me when I was four (the basics, of course) and as I've gotten older, I've learned how to read patterns and expand my niche to more than blankets and dishrags. I just finished a shawl from one of my grandmother's oldest pattern books and it is absolutley beautiful! I'm very proud of it because I've never made a shawl before and thsi turned out very pretty. Made it with Chenille yarns and oh its so soft!! I almost don't want to sell it to the person I made it for. Anyways, I'm done tooting my own horn.

I love to crochet; its like second nature to me, but I can also tat, crossstitch, scrapbook, quilt and sew. I just dont have the time to do teh other things. I can watch a movie while I'm crocheting and not even pay attention to what I'm doing, whereas my other hobbies are not that lenient.

I'll post some pictures from my portfolio later on my profile page...

My mom can sew and crochet. She has tried to each me to crochet. I can read it all day long but I do not have the patience to learn it. If I can not be a pro in a few days, I am DONE!! I will only practice on so man potholders.

I have been doing painting crafts. Like turning Luke's hand print into different holiday items on a shirt. And small things like that but nothing major.

I am good at doing cards and invitations. My friends ask me to do theirs all the time for brithday parties and things.

The poll needs to be muptiple choice- it may be and I missed that it was of course, HA!

I just saw that it is Multiple choice but i did not see that when voting or I would have picked "other" as well as cooking/baking.

Of all the crafty things I can do, the only thing my grandma taught me was how to cook. I still use some of her recipes and they are family favorites. I learned the other things in home ec class.

http://http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2008/11/culinary-artist.html

I paint on bread. Not very common. Certainly not my granny's kind of craft either.

My neighbor lady started teaching me quilting when she was 90. I thought if I was going to ever learn, I'd better start before she got much older. She passed away 3 years ago and I can hold my own quilting now. Any of you wannabe quilters really can start at any age. It is soooo much fun. Take a class at your local quilt shop to get started. It will be a life-long obsession. And it is useful!

I can also crochet and cook and sew. That's about it.

Oh, and I don't know that either of my grandmothers did any crafts at all, and neither did my mom.

Stephaniecafe said:
http://http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2008/11/culinary-artist.html

I paint on bread. Not very common. Certainly not my granny's kind of craft either.
So do I!

My media are butter, margarine, mayonnaise, mustard, apple butter and sometimes, peanut butter and jelly.

I like to think of myself as crafty. I dont sew much have a hard time even keeping a button to stay on. I had made an apron and potholders in home ec when was in school, but took me almost 1 month to finish because I got frustrated.

All of my grandmothers sew. My grandfather taught me to quilt and I loved it (was about 10) but cant remeber how now. He also taught me to cook(pies) his mother was a excellent cook and baker.

I love design and made all arraingments for my older sisters wedding and helped with all crafting with my little sis wedding. I do scrapbooking, stamping and on a whim what I feel like--my latest project is making a cafe style pleated draw shade for the kitchen window.

I tend to dabble in a lot of things, but I'm by no means an expert in anything. I know how to knit, crochet, and sew. I am more of a baker than a cook. I enjoy scrapbooking and have tried my hand at jewelry making. I tend to get on a kick for a bit, but my excitement usually fizzles out before I finish the project.

My Gramma was 65 when she came to live with us and I was only 14. She constantly was crocheting 'gordas' (spanish for beanies/caps/hats) and my parents were always laughing saying that was all she knew how to do. She taught me that single and double crochet stitch and I've been crocheting ever since. (I'm 42 now and gramma's been gone for many years) So my mom sees all the scarfs and blankets I've made over the years and wondered how I knew how to crochet. I said, 'gramma taught me'. Really? she said with surprise in her voice. 'Yup' I said, with pride that my gramma taught me something that my mom couldn't. So now I've taught my 19 year old and she does it better than me. So now I only crochet gordas![/COLOR]

I love to crossstitch, but my eyes are getting so bad, it is hard to see to do it, but I would love to pick it up again. I love to bake.

Related to Are You Crafty/Or Do Other Things Your Grandma Did?

1. What kind of crafts can I make with Pampered Chef products?

Pampered Chef offers a variety of products that can be used for crafting projects, such as cookie cutters for making ornaments, stoneware for painting, and kitchen tools for creating DIY home decor. Our products are versatile and can be used for a wide range of crafts.

2. Can you provide some specific craft ideas using Pampered Chef products?

Absolutely! You can use our food chopper to make homemade potpourri, our baking stones to create personalized coasters, and our mini loaf pans to make candles. These are just a few examples, but the possibilities are endless with our products.

3. I'm not very crafty, can I still use Pampered Chef products for DIY projects?

Definitely! Our products are designed for both experienced crafters and beginners. We have step-by-step tutorials and videos on our website to help you create beautiful crafts using our products. Plus, many of our products are easy to use and require no special skills or techniques.

4. Do you have any kid-friendly crafts using Pampered Chef products?

Yes, we have many crafts that are perfect for kids! Our cookie cutters can be used for making fun shapes with playdough, our food chopper can be used for cutting up fruit for a colorful fruit skewer, and our decorating tools are great for creating edible art with icing. Visit our website for more kid-friendly craft ideas.

5. Are there any limitations on what I can do with Pampered Chef products for crafting?

As long as you are using our products in a safe and responsible manner, there are no limitations on what you can create with them. We encourage creativity and love seeing the unique ways our customers use our products for crafting. However, please be sure to follow all safety instructions and guidelines when using our products for any DIY projects.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol
Replies
Views
KRISTI'SCOOKING
  • smspamperedchef
  • General Chat
Replies