• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone in or Familiar With the Dc Area?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's husband interviewing for his dream job in Fairfax, VA. The speaker is concerned about the cost of housing and the possibility of leaving her family behind. Suggestions for more affordable areas to live in, such as Alexandria and Arlington, are given by others in the conversation. The speaker also shares their experience of commuting to Northern Virginia and their love for the DC area.
yummybytes
Silver Member
Hi everyone -- I'm pulling my hair out over this. :( My husband in in the process of interviewing for his DREAM job. Unfortunatley, I have a feeling its' not going to pay well, but I don't want to deny him his dream without getting my facts straight first.

I looked at the cost of housing in the DC area (the job would be in Fairfax and he doesnt mind commuting and it's INSANE like 300k plus for a standard 3 bedroom home. Are there any areas that are semi reasonable and not a slum town that we should be looking at? He wouldn't mind an hour-hour and a half commute. I don't need to be in the city or anything like that.

This last week or so has been horrible. I'm so on the fence about this job. I lost my dad in January and live across the street from my mom. To leave her would be so hard for me. DC is only 4 hours away, but ... and this being Father's day week is making it even harder on me. I just miss him so much.

((((((((((((((Jenn)))))))))))))))

You could look into Alexandria or Arlington. They are on the outskirts of DC, but pricy as well. You could also look into practically any Northern VA location....Leesburg, Sterling, Herndon, Chantilly, Fairfax City itself, Tysons Corner, Warrenton.

With the way the housing market is right now, you could probably find a good deal. Plus if you ever want to visit DC, they have the Metro that has stops in many of these places.

I live in Fredericksburg and we have people that commute to Northern Virginia and DC everyday. It could sometimes take up to 2 hours or more. Before I got my local job, I used to commute to Herndon everyday. It sometimes got tedious but the pay was worth it.

We moved to the DC area in July 2006 from SC. It has taken me a lot of time to adjust to the area. We live in Loudoun Cty in South Riding. I love the area that we live in. We are 45 miles west of DC. My husband commutes to DC which is about an hour (depending on weather & day of week) drive.

Hugs to you. I know how hard it is to leave family. You can email me if you want any information.

We lived in the DC area for almost 4 years. We lived on the MD side though. We lived in Landover right next to a metro, so we took the metro all the time and it really saved on gas. I lived in MD and worked in DC. I miss the DC area so much and would love to move back.

1. What are some must-visit tourist attractions in the DC area?

There are many popular tourist attractions in DC, including the National Mall, the Smithsonian Museums, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument.

2. What is the best way to get around the DC area?

The most convenient way to get around DC is by using the metro system, which has stops near all major attractions. You can also use ride-sharing services like Uber or Lyft, or take a taxi. Walking is also a great option, especially for exploring the National Mall.

3. What are some recommended restaurants in the DC area?

DC has a vibrant food scene with a variety of cuisines to choose from. Some popular restaurants include Founding Farmers, Rose's Luxury, and Ben's Chili Bowl. If you're looking for a quick bite, try one of the many food trucks located throughout the city.

4. What is the weather like in the DC area?

The DC area experiences all four seasons, with hot and humid summers and cold winters. Spring and fall are pleasant with mild temperatures. It's always a good idea to check the weather forecast before your visit and dress accordingly.

5. What are some fun activities for families in the DC area?

Families visiting DC can enjoy a variety of activities, such as visiting the National Zoo, exploring the interactive exhibits at the National Children's Museum, or taking a tour of the Capitol Building. There are also many parks and playgrounds throughout the city for kids to play and run around.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• J.Corley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KimmyDarling
  • tmseiling
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tmseiling
Replies