• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Around the Dc Area Have Advice?

in summary, the city has a lot to offer. The cost of living is high, but worth it in terms of opportunities. The traffic is bad, but manageable with proper planning. The schools are excellent. Diversity is abundant.
J.Corley
My dh is considering a job in the DC area and I am terrified we won't be able to afford to live there.
Any suggestions on life arond that city, where to live, cost of renting there, schools, and just general cost of living.

TIA everyone!

Housing is expensive! Most people around me commute to DC, and I'm over an hour south, and that's without traffic. However, the salaries tend to be alot higher in DC than in my area, so that's why people tough it out. I know there are other cheffers that are closer, so they may be able to give you a better insight.

Now we aren't against a commute if it makes our housing situtation better. Any tips on where to head outward towards? In general what would you estmate cost for housing in you area?

J.Corley said:
Now we aren't against a commute if it makes our housing situtation better. Any tips on where to head outward towards? In general what would you estmate cost for housing in you area?

I think I read somewhere recently that the average housing price is in the $300ish area. I know my DH knows the answer to your question, I'll ask him later when he gets home.

when I lived there I was in Alexandria VA. the traffic was so tough---I worked in the city---the traffic was the worst I ever dealt with---

amy07 said:
I think I read somewhere recently that the average housing price is in the $300ish area. I know my DH knows the answer to your question, I'll ask him later when he gets home.
oh, I wanted to add that is in my area, so the further north you go so does the price

And Morfia, traffic in Alexandria is still awful!

I live here and am a former Realtor in the area. The average home price is around $500k. It is one of the most expensive cities in the country to live, unfortunately.

And traffic is horrible, pretty much 24/7.

J.Corley said:
My dh is considering a job in the DC area and I am terrified we won't be able to afford to live there.
Any suggestions on life arond that city, where to live, cost of renting there, schools, and just general cost of living.

TIA everyone!

To answer your other questions, Fairfax County, Virginia has the best public schools in the country, according to the most recent reports I've read.

Cost of renting depends on how big you need, location, etc. The cost of living is outrageous.

Okay, people seemed to have covered the housing and traffic (and I agree all the way, the traffic is worse than around Atlanta, GA). As an example, what may take 20 minutes w/o traffic will take 1.5 hours with. Seriously. There is the Metro system, so if you can find a place within walking distace of the station or a bus stop that is much better. Keep in mind, though, that people drive from West Virginia to DC every day, and all the people in between.

The good stuff, though? Free museums, free museums, free museums. Incredible variety of food and restaurants. Metro system that is pretty good. Lots of free usic and festivals in the parks. School system in NoVa is great, but high pressure. Keep that in mind, lots of overacheivers in the area. Great diversity in terms of populations from all over the world.

I moved from Reston in Fairfax County to St. Pete, FL. More expensive in St. Pete (honestly!) but much better traffic.

Robin

Jennifer, I suggest taking a look at http://www.Realtor.com and/or http://www.BestPlaces.net to compare the area to where you live now, just to give you a ball park idea of the cost of living here is.

Kim thanks for info, I have to say after hearing all the posts so far I have to ask the question
Why would you WANT to live there?

How is it possible?

Oh and Kim my upline is Pasty McGovern too!

I love the DC area!We moved near DC last Feb...cost of living is outrageous (compared to Columbia, SC), but I absolutely LOVE it here! The traffic is the only reason I wouldn't want to live here permanently. Will your DH be working in DC...what job will he have? (I'm trying to ask if he is military). Please feel free to email me [email protected] and I'll answer questions as best I can...you can find an afford housing anywhere it just depends if you want a yard or lots of square footage.

J.Corley said:
Kim thanks for info, I have to say after hearing all the posts so far I have to ask the question
Why would you WANT to live there?

How is it possible?

Oh and Kim my upline is Pasty McGovern too!

Cool about Patsy! Let's be sure to meet at Conference, k?

There are many reasons to live here, but just as many not to. I moved here from Atlanta almost 12 years ago, and it felt like home as soon as I got here, but if I had to make the decision again, I very probably wouldn't, because it really is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. It is also really cold in the winter, compared to what I'm used to, but I just load up on warm clothes & try to keep my complaints about it to a minimum.

The expense is tough-- I mean, we just work really hard, and try not to think about how much more affordable it would be to live somewhere else.

Feel free to send me a PM anytime with questions!

Related to Anyone Around the Dc Area Have Advice?

1. How can I find a Pampered Chef consultant in the DC area?

You can easily find a consultant in the DC area by using the "Find a Consultant" feature on our website. Simply enter your zip code or city and state, and a list of nearby consultants will be displayed.

2. Is it possible to attend a Pampered Chef cooking demonstration or party in the DC area?

Yes, there are many consultants in the DC area who offer cooking demonstrations and parties. You can contact a consultant directly or attend one of our events listed on our website.

3. Are there any upcoming Pampered Chef events or promotions in the DC area?

We regularly hold events and promotions in the DC area. Check our website or social media pages for the latest updates and information on upcoming events and promotions.

4. Can I host a Pampered Chef party in my home in the DC area?

Absolutely! Hosting a Pampered Chef party is a fun and easy way to earn free products and discounts. Simply contact a consultant in the DC area to schedule a party and start earning rewards.

5. How can I become a Pampered Chef consultant in the DC area?

If you are interested in becoming a consultant in the DC area, you can sign up on our website or contact a current consultant for more information. Our consultants receive extensive training and support to help them succeed in their business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• yummybytes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DMB75
  • Gina M
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
debswork
  • jcsmilez