• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Someone Steal Your Products at Your Booth?

In summary, some people suggest that having fewer items on display and setting up your booth in a way that makes it difficult for people to steal from it is a good idea. Another suggestion is to put signs in front of your items explaining what they are.
mkcook
Gold Member
I just started PC in Nov and this Saturday will be my first Booth. I'm nervous enough as it is. Will the benefits out weigh the cost of the booth?

My husband then tells me in the mist of my worry about the Saturday booth to be prepared, something will be stolen! How do you advert this from happening? What do you do when you see someone trying to steal?

Set your booth up so that they have to come in to your booth--I usually set mine up in a "U" shape. And just keep a real sharp eye.

I have never had a problem. I just keep my eye on my stuff

I've heard that it can be an issue, for this reason just be careful about small items and cookbooks that tend to sprout legs easier. The biggest issue I ever recall was when I set some Season's Bests out that I intended to sell, I think people thought they were free. I had a friend who once had someone try to walk away with her scrapers, she caught up with him and said, "Oh, I am sorry sir, those are just for display. They are wonderful and I would be happy to order them for you if you like." HTH

It also helps to put out fewer items, then you have less to keep track of. I try to display just the kit items and maybe a couple of the really awesome new things. That's it. If customers want to see other things, I have a couple of catalogs split apart and in page protectors as my "table copies."

The only things I've had stolen are cookbooks (at a Bridal Fair!). I think people think they're "free", like the catalogs you have out in a stack, so try to avoid putting out a stack of cookbooks. You may even want to put stickers on them that say something like "Ask me how to order this product!", so they know that it's not "cash & carry" stuff.

At the last booth I did, the other PC booth had the Festive Desserts Cookbook stolen. They came by and let us know so we could keep an eye on our stuff.

I've never had an issue that I know of. I think having signs helps and yes avoid a stack of anything without a price or sign explaining it.

hmmm might sound dumb but whats a booth? and where do you do this booth thingy at? lol some one help im so confused.

I've never had anything stolen from a booth. Like Ann, I don't put out a ton, so I have less to keep track of.

armywife_consultant said:
hmmm might sound dumb but whats a booth? and where do you do this booth thingy at? lol some one help im so confused.

Some craft fairs and similar events are open to direct sales reps. It can be a good place to get contact info and bookings. Same with bridal expos, although those can be pricey.

I have had to do the occasional:
"Oh I'm sorry ma'am those are for display only."

People have this mind set at certain events that they can come to every table to get something free or enter a raffle for free but usually I have not had good experiences in booking shows from places like this. I'm sure a wedding booth is different and fairs or places where people are expected to buy stuff.

I agree with keeping only a small amount of items that are easily carried away on the table. And if you want you can always tie things to your stuff like balloons or something colorful like I have seen with pens when people are trying to keep them from walking off.

Debbie :D

I did 7 booths last fall.. and had no problem.. I kept my display simple. :)

My director set up a booth for a home show and the consultants paid a portion of the booth fee to work certain shifts. On one shift, a utility knife was stolen and the sheath was left behind. I was really bothered that someone was walking around with a knife and more so that it wasn't in a protective cover. We contacted the police working security to inform them but I wouldn't advise having a knife in your booth.
And setting up a U shape is a great idea to keep an eye on your things.

I didn't display any knives at the shows I did.. fearing someone would take it for something other in the kitchen

I have done probably 50 booths in my 2 years selling thus far, and don't recall anything being taken. I do a large county fair and the booths are fairly small so I keep my eyes alert all the time! I do display the knives, but they are in the back of the display and always taken down at nite if it's a multiple day event. It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open and alert at all times.

- Don't bring any little stuff. The big stuff is less likely to disappear, yes but also is more eye-catchy and pricey so people will want to host a show to get it cheaper or free.
- Make your booth inverted (the u-shape mentioned earlier) so you can welcome them in...you see them go in, you see them go out.
- If you are passing out anything (I pass out recipe cards with my info on them), keep this in your apron pocket or somewhere. Stacks of anything on a table look free.
- Offer a raffle to win a free cooking show. They get their free fix and you get bookings. By free, you supply the ingredients and pay for invitation postage.
- DO NOT BRING KNIVESExtra booth advice:
- Donate a gift certificate for the event to raffle off. This encourages people to stop buy your booth to dream about what they will buy if/when they win. Plus, if you donate a personal GC that is only redeemable through you, the winner has to get in touch with you = Guaranteed Contact!
- Get there early, set up and spend the extra time talking with other vendors. From vendors at my last booth: many orders and one booking that led to one recruit lead & the event is interested in stocking their community kitchen with PC stuff!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! :thumbup: I just called today to make sure I would have the 3 tables I requested. Long story short, instead of 1 booth space - I have 3! :eek: I love the location - it's on the corner so it's the first thing peple see as they enter the building, they have to walk past it to go to the main exhibt area and walk past it again to go to the free seminars. But with it on the corner it's an "L" shape area that I will be in. My husband will be there to help and I think my mom and mom-in-law will come help too! Just wasn't expecting such a big area. I don't won't to let them down and look small in the area so I have lots of work to do! :yuck:

I'll take pictures and let you know how it goes.

Good luck w/your booth! So exciting to see others from Arkansas on here!!

how do you find out about doing a booth? i wouldnt even know who to call. sounds interesting i would love to give it a try.

armywife_consultant said:
how do you find out about doing a booth? i wouldnt even know who to call. sounds interesting i would love to give it a try.

A couple of options...
Ask your director what Booths that they have done, and if they have any they are doing in the future.

Google your area and look for events in your area.

Good Luck.

mkcook said:
I just started PC in Nov and this Saturday will be my first Booth. I'm nervous enough as it is. Will the benefits out weigh the cost of the booth?

My husband then tells me in the mist of my worry about the Saturday booth to be prepared, something will be stolen! How do you advert this from happening? What do you do when you see someone trying to steal?

I'm doing a multi day (Sat & Sun) Home show in two weeks, and was wondering the same thing. I'm not allowed to break anything down until Sun @ 5pm which is going to be crazy since my cluster mtg is an hour away at 6:30 and I have to pick up my potential recruit on the way. Enough digressing, anyway, what do you do for multi day events? Do you leave the tables up, and displays and just pack up the product and reset it the next day?

I had people picking up Season's Best cookbooks and starting to walk off until I put a sign on them that said they were $1.
I'm sure they didn't realize they were not free.Most folks are honest. I've never had anything stolen at a booth. The Silpada lady next to me has, though. We do a lot of the same fairs.edit - depends on the security at the event. Most inside fairs I leave the setup there, as only a security guard is walking around when it's closed.
Outside fairs, I pack it all up.

ShellBeach said:
edit - depends on the security at the event. Most inside fairs I leave the setup there, as only a security guard is walking around when it's closed.
Outside fairs, I pack it all up.

Thanks, then I won't pack it up for this one.

Most fairs that are 2 days, I put easily-grabbed items (read: small) into a box and stash that under the table. Then I put a covering over the rest of the display, so that if someone wants to take something, it takes a few seconds to move the cloth out of the way.

Related to Anyone Have Someone Steal Your Products at Your Booth?

1. How can I prevent my products from being stolen at my booth?

To prevent theft at your booth, make sure to always have someone present at your booth at all times. Additionally, consider investing in a lockable display case or using security tags on your products.

2. What should I do if I catch someone stealing my products?

If you catch someone stealing your products, remain calm and approach them politely. Let them know that you saw them taking something and ask them to return it. If they refuse, do not confront them further and instead contact event security or the police.

3. How can I keep track of my inventory to know if anything was stolen?

It's important to keep track of your inventory at all times, especially during events. Consider using a barcode or inventory tracking system to help you keep track of your products and quickly identify if anything is missing.

4. Can I press charges if someone steals from my booth?

Yes, you can press charges if someone steals from your booth. However, it's important to involve the event organizers and security first and let them handle the situation. You should also have proof of the theft, such as video footage or eyewitness accounts, to support your case.

5. What steps should I take to secure my products after an event?

After an event, make sure to securely pack up your products and store them in a safe place. Consider using locks or alarms on your storage area to further protect your products. It's also a good idea to take inventory and check for any missing items once you're back in your own space.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bunksc
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • DonnaYork
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies