• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Any Idea How Much It Costs to Mail One of the Season's

In summary, it costs $1.79 to mail a Season's Best Cookbook using the retired kitchen scale that PC used to sell.
jenniferlynne
Anyone have any idea how much it costs to mail one of the Season's Best Cookbooks? I'm so tired of running to the post office to have everything weighed. I thought someone might know. Thanks!

Why don't you buy a postage scale? It's a lifesaver, especially when a trip to the PO means dragging a crabby toddler along! Then you can buy and print your postage online via usps.gov.

Love it!

That sounds like a fabulous idea. I'm often dragging two crabby toddlers to the post office! Is a postage scale expensive?

Dawn Trudell
Independent Kitchen Consultant
Fort Wayne, IN
www.pamperedchef.biz/dawntrudell

I paid 88 cents to send a Season's best to NY, and I'm in CA.

You can get a simple 5# scale from Office Max for $20. Or you can watch on eBay and get a larger scale for about $30-35 total (winning bid+shipping costs).

I have a question for those mailing books. Do you just mail the book or put it in an envelope? I always wondered why we couldn't just mail like the catalogs I get in the mail. Also are they considered media mail?

I use the retired kitchen scale that PC used to sell! It has been right so far~! :p

I know some consultants that swear by www.stamps.com. I tried it for a while and received a VERY nice postal scale free during the trial period. If you are making alot of trips to the post office, using stamps.com can pay for itself. (There is a monthly fee). The site has alot of nice features. I stopped using it because trips to the PO aren't a big deal for me. (My "crabbly toddlers" are now 10 and 15!) I just popped over to the website....they are currently offering free postage, free digital scale, free supply kit, and a 4 week trial. Might be worth a try.

paydaymom said:
I have a question for those mailing books. Do you just mail the book or put it in an envelope? I always wondered why we couldn't just mail like the catalogs I get in the mail. Also are they considered media mail?

I don't think they are considered media mail. From my understanding, media mail is Video tapes, audio tapes etc. But they are considered BOUND PRINTED MATTER. This is what our catalogs are classified as.

If you mail your host packs like I do-because of the Crabby Toddler and Baby -3 years and 6 months- you can send your host packs as BOUND PRINTED MATTER as long as 90% of your weight is catalogs. It costs me $1.79 to send a pack with 3-8 catalogs in it! Not too bad!! But, there is a weight requirement for BOUND PRINTED MATTER, so I don't know if 1 Season's Best would qualify. And I paid 60 cents for mailing the last one I did!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I know some consultants that swear by www.stamps.com. I tried it for a while and received a VERY nice postal scale free during the trial period. If you are making alot of trips to the post office, using stamps.com can pay for itself. (There is a monthly fee). The site has alot of nice features. I stopped using it because trips to the PO aren't a big deal for me. (My "crabbly toddlers" are now 10 and 15!) I just popped over to the website....they are currently offering free postage, free digital scale, free supply kit, and a 4 week trial. Might be worth a try.
I've always wanted to try stamps.com. How much was the monthly fee? I think it'll likely be worth it! I swear I go at least every other day and I've got the crabby toddlers with me (almost 4 and 1), although I try to go when the older one is in preschool. I got a free trial thing in the mail a LONG time ago, but never followed through on it. I'd love to know more about the monthly fee. And what do you do, just put it in your own mailbox to send it? The only other bummer is our mail seems to come so late now! It used to be by 10 am, but now it's more like 3 pm.

I also have crabby toddlers (ages 5,3 and 17 months) and I hate going to the post office. Florida has this new law that you can't put any package that weighs over 1 lb in your mailbox, it has to officially be dropped off at the post office and hand-stamped. It drives me crazy so tomorrow I'm taking all of my Nov and Dec host packets and receipts their so hopefully it will all be done for the next 2 months. Not that I'm not wanting anymore bookings. :p

I had been mailing my packets bound matter, which is a lot cheeper. I was told however that if you include invitations, or even a letter that it no longer qualifies for the discounted rate. Hopefully everyone elses post offices are quite as picky.

Stamps.comI just signed up for it yesterday. As someone mentioned before, there's a special going on right now. Four week trial, $25 free postage, a free scale, and free supplies. The monthly fee is $15.95. I'm looking forward to using it, and already had to call tech support for an issue. I was on hold for about 4 minutes. The gentleman who helped me was very nice and professional. I'm looking forward to using this service!

Good luck!
Diane

Stamps.comI just checked out stamps.com. The fee is $15.99/month. Seems like a lot to me. :confused: I don't think that I'd save too much this.

Yeah, that's a bummer. I was hoping it would be cheaper than that. Well, I guess it could be counted as a business expense. Hmmmm....I'll have to think about it!

My PO clerk told me I couldn't send my packets by "cheap" mail...:( He said if there's anything at all in it that's not catalogs (flyers, note to host, etc) it has to be 1st class, which is $3.85 if I'm lucky and don't try to send too much...

I used to send my packets via "media mail" but then they said that if there are post cards in there it doesn't qualify and later they added that catalogs can't be sent media because there are prices in them.

I now send them Parcel Post unless first class or priority is really close to the same price or she needs the packet really soon.

I used to hand out packets at the shows but so often the date is in different months or something else makes them unique to each other so I stopped doing that. I just started a new system where I give catalogs that night and mail the rest of the packet in a 6"x9" envelope. Postage is less for that size envelope. Then the only larger packets I need to mail are those that I book outside of shows.

The post office I use gave me a stack of envelopes to use. It doesn't matter how much you cram in them it is $3.85. If it is over a pound, then I have to have it post marked. When I was sending out hostess packages in the brown envelopes, I wouldn't send as many items because of the price. Now I can send whatever I want for the same price.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon

DZmom said:
I just checked out stamps.com. The fee is $15.99/month. Seems like a lot to me. :confused: I don't think that I'd save too much this.

This is why I stopped using it. I couldn't justify the cost. If you are making alot of runs to the PO or have to deal with small children, it might be worth the expense once you figure in the cost of gas and time saved. It is a tax write off too so that might help.

Yep, the Priority Mail flat rate envelope is my friend. I send all my host packets that way when I have to mail them. Go to the PO and take a bunch of envelopes home. Then when you have to mail out a packet, you can go to www.usps.gov and use click-n-ship to print a label and postage! Then schedule a carrier pick up and you don't even have to leave the house!

Stamps are going upI was watching Regis and Kelly this morning and Regis mentioned the stamps are going up to $.39 he did not say when. So I will be watching what I mail and try to get away with the cheepest way possible.

On click and ship can you just print priority and express mail. What do you print your priority mail labels on? Trying to figure this out. I saw where I could order the supplies for free online but didn't know if I needed their label or how would I apply one I printed on regular paper. Also is it extra for the pickup?

Last edited:
DebbieJ said:
Yep, the Priority Mail flat rate envelope is my friend. I send all my host packets that way when I have to mail them. Go to the PO and take a bunch of envelopes home. Then when you have to mail out a packet, you can go to www.usps.gov and use click-n-ship to print a label and postage! Then schedule a carrier pick up and you don't even have to leave the house!
Oh I like this!! That's exactly what I need. Do you print it on paper and tape it on or do you have to use special labels? Does the regular mail carrier pick it up? I'm assuming it's not extra to do it this way, right? How quickly do they come pick it up? THat's the only reason I keep going to the PO because once i have a packet ready, I can just go over there.

I just got info on click and ship in the mail the other day. It said that you can just print the lable out on plain paper. Then when you are ready for pick up just notify usps online at usps.com/pickup. They will be out to pick up the next day. And it is free of charge for pick up. I'm haven't try it yet, but it sure will save extra gas and time than running to the PO.

Jennie

Click and shipThis service is perfect for the flat rate mail envelopes, plus you get free delivery confirmation if you do it on-line.
I just print the label out on regular printer paper and then affix to the flat rate envelope with tape (packing tape is better, but scotch tape is okay, I guess if you cover all of the edges...). I use this service frequently and simply print out the information on my printer paper...no cost for labels! USPS walks you through it on their website.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to try it. I'll need to get a stack of those priority mail envelopes next time I'm at the post office. :)

Like others already said, I just print on regular paper and then tape the label on. I schedule the pick up for the next day, because I'm usually doing these things late at night after my son is asleep. Then I put it out in the mailbox and my regular carrier picks it up. I love it!

May I ask a dumb question? Why does one have to schedule a pickup if you have regular mail delivery? Wouldn't they pick them up anyway?

PickupAll of the click and ship's that I've done automatically scheduled the pickup. I've never scheduled a pickup manually. I talked to the post lady and she said as long as it's not a really large package not to worry about scheduling a pickup. That the website would automatically schedule to pick it up. It asks you for the pickup date when you are filling out the info.

Bound Printed Matter. My post office considers my Host Packets to be bound since I put them in a 2pocket folder with the 3prong binder and sheet protectors.

My problem is the PO never has the flat rate envelopes in stock because everyone is stockpiling. My host packets seem to fall just under $3.85 so I just send them priority anyway. 1st class is no guarantee. I just sent a 1st class to a host who I gave half a packet at a fair. I sent it last week and she just got it yesterday. It usually takes a day :confused: Anyway, I know I will be using click n ship once I can find the envelopes. Thanks for all the mailing tips :)

Go usps.com and order you some flat rate envelopes. THey are completely free

Thanks! I totally didn't know you could do that. I am checking it out right now.

That was so easy! I just ordered my flat rate envelopes, priortiy mail stickers, and confirmation forms. All for free!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
SusanJust wanted you to know about postage. I have worked for USPS and Pampered Chef for 8 years! You can mail show packets out under Book Rate. But depending where they are being mailed to, it may be just as cheap to send Priority Mail. Sometimes it is $1 different. And I have always felt that when the host is getting a "Priority Mail" from me will make her/him feel that she/he is a priority to me!!! Book rate will not give them that feeling. Besides postage is tax deductible for our business.

You can order envelopes thru PC for the Season's Best and they can be mailed for around 87 cents.

Ask your postal carrier for 'stamps by mail' envelopes and you will not have to run to the post office!!! And another hint, if you treat your carrier good, they may just take that package for you!!! You can also go online at www.usps.com and request a pick up.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Shari in TX
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Shari in TX
  • Chefgirl2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies