• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Any Experience With Pku?

In summary, PKU is a genetic disorder that affects the body's ability to break down an amino acid called phenylalanine. It is typically diagnosed through newborn screening tests or genetic testing and may present symptoms such as developmental delays, intellectual disability, seizures, skin rashes, and behavioral problems. Treatment for PKU involves a strict low-protein diet and the use of specially formulated medical foods, with medications also being prescribed to manage phenylalanine levels. While there is currently no cure for PKU, proper management and treatment can allow individuals to live healthy and fulfilling lives.
pamperedape
One of our dearest friends (actually she's like a mom to us) just had twin grandbabies. Her daughter and her hubby tried for over nine years to concieve, and finally did so with IVF. The pregnancy was horrible - the babies were almost born at 21 weeks! They made it to 34, were born at 5 and 6 pounds and so everyone thought things were great. Not so. The baby boy (Brady) has PKU. I am wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom I could pass along. They could really use prayers - they are all so upset.

No experiences, but just with a quick lookup, I found some information: PHENYLKETONURIA (PKU) - it looks like since it was caught early, he can maintain a healthy life through altering his diet. I know they test all newborns for PKU now, and this is why - to catch it early enough to avoid issues as they get older.

I looked this up in one of my nursing books and it says that it occurs in 1 out of every 16,000 births in the US. Just make sure that she checks EVERYTHING that she feeds that baby, and if she plans on breastfeeding, she will more than likely need to be on a PKU free diet also!! Hope this helps!

1. What is PKU?

PKU stands for Phenylketonuria, which is a genetic disorder where the body cannot properly break down an amino acid called phenylalanine.

2. How is PKU diagnosed?

PKU is typically diagnosed through newborn screening tests or genetic testing. Symptoms may also prompt further testing.

3. What are the symptoms of PKU?

Symptoms of PKU may include developmental delays, intellectual disability, seizures, skin rashes, and behavioral problems.

4. How is PKU treated?

PKU is typically managed through a strict low-protein diet and the use of specially formulated medical foods. Medications may also be prescribed to help with managing phenylalanine levels.

5. Can PKU be cured?

At this time, there is no cure for PKU. However, with proper management and treatment, individuals with PKU can lead healthy and fulfilling lives.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedTammy
  • ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ahammons
  • pamperedbecky
  • General Chat
Replies