• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Going to Wave 2 From Philly Area?

In summary, Becky is from Reading, and is going to conference for the first time this year. She is trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to get to conference. She is from the Philadelphia area, and Southwest is her preferred airline. The cheapest non-stop flight she can find is $251, but she is wondering why a non-stop train takes 27 hours while a train with stops takes 19 hours total. Jean from the Philly, New Jersey area is friends with Becky's recruiter, and she may be able to help her find cheaper tickets.
jbachen
I am trying to figure out a way to go to Conference economically, and was thinking maybe I could drive. I think it is about 12 hours from me. It would cost about the same to drive as it would to fly, unless I get someone to split expenses with... My recruiter is not sure if she is going yet, so I figured I would ask on here... anyone traveling to conference from South Jersey/Philly area and want to split gas costs? Or does anyone want to jump in along the way?

Thanks!

If choosing to drive, be sure to factor in the cost of parking... it's VERY expensive to park overnight in Chicago. We paid $55 a night a few years ago. So you'll need to factor in at least $150 for parking when comparing... good luck!

My upline had found awesome prices so i went looking this morning. She said $145 round trip, cheapest i found on any of the cheapo sites was $352. She said it was through southwest, went to there webiste and found one way for about $70 each way. Check out the individual airlines.

OK, it looks like I can fly for between $200 and $250... No luck with the Southwest specials - none flew out of cities anywhere close to me. Gas I am figuring - 1500 mile round trip; my car gets 30 miles to the gallon, so it should take 50 gallons, at $3 a gallon, that's $150. Even plus $150 to park, $300 split between 2 or, preferably, 3 people is going to be cheaper than flying...

Have you looked into taking the train?

finley1991 said:
If choosing to drive, be sure to factor in the cost of parking... it's VERY expensive to park overnight in Chicago. We paid $55 a night a few years ago. So you'll need to factor in at least $150 for parking when comparing... good luck!
That's a very good point...parking fees are horrendous, especially right at the hotels. I know some people have found lots that are close to the hotel that are cheaper. This year I'm hoping to take the train from the suburbs so we don't have to worry about parking. I took a train my first year, but have driven the rest just because of timing of everything and having to hook up with people to drive them there. This is my 6th conference and I can't wait!

Hm, I could go Amtrak for $80... but I am wondering why a non-stop train takes 27 hours while a train with stops take 19 hours total...

Jean there is a group of us from the Philly, New Jersey area that go all the time. Who is your recruiter? maybe I know her.
Last year we left from newark tickets were $100 less than phila.
The year before ticket were $180. the cheapest ever.
From Phila is always around $200. Just have to check everyday.

Kodeysmom said:
My upline had found awesome prices so i went looking this morning. She said $145 round trip, cheapest i found on any of the cheapo sites was $352. She said it was through southwest, went to there webiste and found one way for about $70 each way. Check out the individual airlines.
We always fly with Southwest:thumbup: We usually get the one way tickets; sometimes they have internet deals.

I am from Reading. About an hour from Philly. I am assuming I am wave 2 because my conf dates are July 14th-16th. I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to get to conference. This will be my first one, so I am really inexperienced. So far, the cheapest non-stop flight i can find is $251

Becky0216,
I am from Allentown. I too am going to conference for the first time. We are going at the same time! My director was going to look into getting tickets at a group rate. I took Amtrak to Chicago a couple of times, BUT I don't think I am going to do it for conference.

Help hotel? Only two of us are going this year. We can't afford the hotels that PC has. Does anyone know of one that is within walking distance of last year's hotels that is affordable, so we can still take the shuttles to McCormick?

There's also a hotel attached to McCormick; someone here posted that they stayed there last year & it wasn't bad in price.

mamidu,
Where about in allentown are you from? I just moved here from Allentown. I would love to have some people to meet while I am out there so I don't feel so alone. Our cluster is also trying to do group rates, but I don't really know them either.

lockhartkitchen said:
Help hotel? Only two of us are going this year. We can't afford the hotels that PC has. Does anyone know of one that is within walking distance of last year's hotels that is affordable, so we can still take the shuttles to McCormick?
You can find a couple other people to share your room - that would make it more affordable. On here, people will start looking for open spaces any time now!

Becky0216 said:
mamidu,
Where about in allentown are you from? I just moved here from Allentown. I would love to have some people to meet while I am out there so I don't feel so alone. Our cluster is also trying to do group rates, but I don't really know them either.

Becky0216,
I live on the east side of Allentown. Who's cluster are you in? I just got an e-mail from my director today and she has already made her reservations. And she encourages us to reserve EARLY and to share rooms because of the price. I don't really know anyone in my cluster so I am hoping I can find someone to share a room with.

I am in a cluster from Philly area, so not so close to you. My director already got reservations also. She is waiting for cheaper air still though. I used to live off Emmaus Ave. in Allentown, how far are you from there?
I will be looking to room with someone too, but have to make my final decision to go first.

Becky0216 said:
I am in a cluster from Philly area, so not so close to you. My director already got reservations also. She is waiting for cheaper air still though. I used to live off Emmaus Ave. in Allentown, how far are you from there?
I will be looking to room with someone too, but have to make my final decision to go first.

Wow! Where at off Emmaus Ave? I used to live over there! Almost right on South Mountain, right behind the Turkey Hill. I now live almost in Bethlehem. I have been looking at flights out of Philly for myself. :eek: I am not sure yet where I am going to fly out of, I guess where ever I can get the cheapest tickets.
I am excited to go to conference. But since it is my first time I'm kind of not sure where to start with making reservations, how to get around, etc.

I am right there with ya. I used to live up the hill from Turkey hill. In the town hoses up there. So real close to where you were. Looks light Philly will be the cheapest flight for me. So far like 250 bucks. I am hoping that goes down a bit.
How long ago did you live there? Do you have kids?

Becky0216 said:
I am right there with ya. I used to live up the hill from Turkey hill. In the town hoses up there. So real close to where you were. Looks light Philly will be the cheapest flight for me. So far like 250 bucks. I am hoping that goes down a bit.
How long ago did you live there? Do you have kids?

Oh, it's been since 1994! My parents bought a townhouse on Huron St. I graduated from Allen HS, moved into the apartments right behind Turkey Hill for about 3 yrs and my now DH and I bought this house on the east side. And once again I am wanting to move. DH isn't too thrilled with the idea!

I found tickets for $226.00 out of Philly!

Wow, I just sold my house on Huron St. Thats crazy. I wonder if I knew your parents. I was at 2864

226, flying into where?

Becky0216 said:
226, flying into where?
Flying into O'Hare!
My DH said hopefully an airport and no buildings!
I'm the only one in my family who is NOT afraid to fly!

We lived at the end of the circle. There is a funny story about the house my parents lived in. When I met my DH, I showed his family where my family lived. Because his grandfather once lived on Huron St. Come to find out, it was the same house! Small world!

wow, thats crazy. We just sold our house there in Sept. It was a pretty quiet cul-de-sac though. I am sure I saw your parents a few times then.

Well, let me know if you decide to go to conference!

I will let you know. I figure I will make up my mind this weekend. See how my show goes. If it goes well, then its worth it, but if not, I have to decide if PC will work for me. I love PC but If I don't start getting bookings from shows, I will be dead in the water.
So expect to hear from me soon:)

How long have you been doing PC? I started in January and have already run into problems getting shows. I did a Home Expo and got leads from that, but that hasn't gone very well either, but I am going to keep trying. Of course, on the other hand, I haven't done too much with my business in the past 2 weeks. Between my kids, school, dance, storm damage, etc. I am setting more time aside now for me to spend time with my business. I want to go to conference to get more ideas and give me more motivation!

Work your business every day, ladies! Otherwise, you won't have a business to come back to! Someone wise told me that WAY back, and it's SO true!Sorry, I'm from PA but I'm in Wave 3 - my ED is from MI. Who is your ED?

I know that need to work my business everyday! I DO wear my PC sweatshirt everywhere I go and carry my catalog tote. I get more, I know someone who sells PC more than anything!
It's bad when my DH even says something about me not spending much time on PC. He will regret that remark now! I have spent more time on my business this past week.
As far as my ED. I am not sure who it is. I was told at our last cluster meeting that we were wave 2.

I have only been doing PC Since Feb. so I am brand new also. I have had 8 shows submitted so far, but that was all friends that threw shows together for me. Now I am running out of shows on the books. I work on my business EVERY day, mostly at night when kiddos are asleep. I carry my tote everywhere and wear a pin. I do get alot of interest, but so far none has gone too far.

as for ED, I also don't know.

Carry your calendar with you, know your next 2 dates that you are open, and when someone says they are "interested", ask them "what month", and then whip out your calendar and show them the dates you have open for that month. That always gets bookings on my calendar - people are visual and like to have a calendar in front of them to set the date. HTH!

Becky,
You are doing better than I am! I just finally qualified!:sing: I have exhausted family and friends and I am now working on friends of friends. I have a couple people who want to have a show but can't pick a date. I do the "let's schedule it and you can change it if necessary" but I always get the "I'll get back to you" How many times can you ask before you sound desperate or stop asking? I am going to start making round two on my leads from the home expo.
I had a recruit that decided not to sell and backed out but still wants to do a show but cannot commit to a date. I know she wants to have a show b/c her DH even called me to let me know that she wants to do one. But, every time I ask her, she has to check her schedule and never gets back to me. I would love to do a show for her b/c she knows a lot of people. Some one told me to schedule her show with her DH. I'm not sure what I want to do with her.:rolleyes:

I would schedule it with DH at that pont. If he is calling to tell you, I would ask him what dates they have available. :) That stinks she backed out of recruiting. I am in a situation right now that someone expressed tons of interest in recruiting and the following day seemed like I was hassling her. You never know with people.
I am only doing as well as I am because of my family and a really lucky 1,000 dollar show from my Hubbys work. I have a feeling my lucks run out. I have already had 4 cancellations and I am in the beginning of my 90 days. One was for this weekend. And I have another host that I just can't reach.

What about pampering a business? I keep hearing about that a lot on here, and I am thinking of doing it myself...I only started in October, but I have been pretty lucky that most of my shows have had at least one booking from outside my friend's circle, so I am very slowly building beyond my friends. But I am going to conference! I really want to make this work!! I hope you ladies decide to stick with it, as well!!

Hey, when I registered today it gave me the option to park at HO and take a bus to the conference. Has anyone who drives done this? It would be cheaper than parking for three night...

Becky,
I think I am going to contact her DH and see what he says. I talk to him almost everyday! I wish my DH had a job where I could get orders like that for me. He is self employed, installing pool tables. What I should do is buy him some PC shirts and make him wear them!
Jean,
I've heard of Pampering a business, but not sure on how to go about it. I have read some of the posts here. Do you just show up at an office and drop off and recipe, books and OOF's?

Related to Anyone Going to Wave 2 From Philly Area?

1. What is the best way to attend Conference from the Philly area?

The most economical way to attend Conference from the Philly area would be to carpool with other Consultants or split the cost of gas with someone else driving. Flying may also be an option, but it may be more expensive.

2. How long is the drive from the Philly area to Conference?

The drive from the Philly area to Conference is approximately 12 hours. However, this may vary depending on traffic and route taken.

3. Is it cheaper to drive or fly to Conference?

It may be cheaper to drive to Conference, especially if you split the cost of gas with someone else. However, it is always best to compare prices and consider other factors such as time and convenience.

4. Is anyone from the South Jersey/Philly area planning to attend Conference?

We cannot say for certain if anyone from the South Jersey/Philly area is planning to attend Conference. We recommend reaching out to other Consultants in your area or checking the Pampered Chef community page for updates.

5. Can I split gas costs with someone else driving to Conference?

Yes, you can definitely split gas costs with someone else driving to Conference. We recommend connecting with other Consultants in your area to make arrangements and split expenses.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
pclinskie