• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Ever Been on a Walk to Emmaus???

In summary, a group of individuals were discussing their experiences with the Walk to Emmaus, a Christian retreat designed to deepen one's relationship with Christ. One person had finally been able to sponsor their sister after waiting for 17 years. The conversation also touched on the town of Emmaus in Pennsylvania and its connection to the retreat, as well as the different pronunciations of the town's name.
nicki25
Silver Member
I finally got the pleasure of sponsoring my sister after waiting 17 years for her to go on her walk this past weekend and was just wondering if anyone else out there had been through a walk to emmaus???

Gee, in another thread, we were just talking about Mick Emmaus.

I don't know what that is, could you explain Nicki? What is it for? TIA

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Gee, in another thread, we were just talking about Mick Emmaus.

There's an Emmaus in PA... which is funny cuz there's a state road sign that has it misspelled too.. with only one m but it really has two.

lkprescott said:
There's an Emmaus in PA... which is funny cuz there's a state road sign that has it misspelled too.. with only one m but it really has two.
Only one in Pennsylvania? I think I have several in my kitchen.

I just set traps when I can't count on the cats to catch Emmaus.

nicki25 said:
I finally got the pleasure of sponsoring my sister after waiting 17 years for her to go on her walk this past weekend and was just wondering if anyone else out there had been through a walk to emmaus???

I have been on a Walk. I've also sponsored someone. It's an amazing experience designed to help you develop a deeper walk with Christ. The Walk to Emmaus is connected with the Methodist church. My son went on a something similar through another denomination.

Wow! Such a small town to be mentioned here, or anywhere for that matter. I live about 15 minutes from Emmaus. My Dr. and Vet are both in Emmaus. I was unaware of the walk.

nicki25 said:
Anyone ever been on a Walk to Emmaus???
I just looked at a map - for me to walk to Emmaus would be one long walk!

raebates said:
I have been on a Walk. I've also sponsored someone. It's an amazing experience designed to help you develop a deeper walk with Christ. The Walk to Emmaus is connected with the Methodist church. My son went on a something similar through another denomination.

It is a similar to a christian retreat. It takes place all over the US. Mostly in Methodist churches but anyone is welcome to attend. You don't actually walk anywhere. That is just what it is called.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Only one in Pennsylvania? I think I have several in my kitchen.

I just set traps when I can't count on the cats to catch Emmaus.

See and that's the trouble with outta towners... *shakes head*

It's pronounced Ee-may-is

DH tried calling it E-mos or E-mouse and got quickly assimilated with that and many other pronunciations around here... *giggle*

mamidu said:
Wow! Such a small town to be mentioned here, or anywhere for that matter. I live about 15 minutes from Emmaus. My Dr. and Vet are both in Emmaus. I was unaware of the walk.

I'm about 20 minutes south of there... well, kinda sorta in that PA sort of way south. My tattoist used to have a shop there...

I was unaware too... googled about it and then started wondering if that's how that town was named. Hrmmm...

nicki25 said:
It is a similar to a christian retreat. It takes place all over the US. Mostly in Methodist churches but anyone is welcome to attend. You don't actually walk anywhere. That is just what it is called.

Gotcha... that's something I couldn't ascertain... saw plenty of info on how it's done and such but wasn't sure where the walk came in.

lkprescott said:
See and that's the trouble with outta towners... *shakes head*

It's pronounced Ee-may-is

DH tried calling it E-mos or E-mouse and got quickly assimilated with that and many other pronunciations around here... *giggle*
Yeah, I found out you don't know how to pronounce Lancaster, either. :p

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yeah, I found out you don't know how to pronounce Lancaster, either. :p

I know how to say it, I'm a born and raised PAer... 10th generation.. at least... it's outta towners who don't say it right... like fingernails on a chalkboard. LOL..

We know the feeling here...like when we watch a broadcast of Badger football game. When the Badgers went to the Rose Bowl in 1994, for the first time in 31 years, Bob Griese continued to call the team the WESconsin BAD-grrs. To this day, most sportscasters pronounce the name of the state Wesconsin, like there was an Easconsin, Northconsin or Southconsin.Ah, but the visual gag of Mick Emmaus and catching Emmaus was just toooooo tempting to pass.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
We know the feeling here...like when we watch a broadcast of Badger football game. When the Badgers went to the Rose Bowl in 1994, for the first time in 31 years, Bob Griese continued to call the team the WESconsin BAD-grrs. To this day, most sportscasters pronounce the name of the state Wesconsin, like there was an Easconsin, Northconsin or Southconsin.

Ah, but the visual gag of Mick Emmaus and catching Emmaus was just toooooo tempting to pass.

LOL... I know there's always debate on saying other places like Nevada too and well, there's plenty of places around here that are hard to pronounce and some, have influenced how they're spelled.. in the long run. A town around here used to have an s in it... but enough folks mispronounced it without the s and well, gone it went.

Like Nevada, Iowa? (Nah-VAY-dah.)Pennsylvania has so many fun places, like Indiana. (We don't need to read about Intercourse again, either.) Indiana, Pennsylvania is the hometown of James Stewart, but it is also home to Indiana University of Pennsylvania. A friend of mine teaches there, and it's always fun to quote a professor from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, because people who have never heard of it wrinkle up their faces like they just bit into a lemmon.

The Walk to Emmasus is similar to the Cursillo = Short Course in Christian Living weekend retreat. It is a time to step aside from our busy lives, and
focus on growing in our relationship with Jesus Christ, through those who have made the retreat giving it forward to new retreatants. There are witness talks and quiet times; shared meals and prayer experiences. It is a powerful experience that you find yourself recommending to others who want to grow in their faith. There is a companion program known as Residents Encounter Christ for inmates. Some of the men have said that they had never experience such unconditional love and acceptance as they did on that REC weekend. The guards found that it made a tremendous difference in the lives of the prisoners who participated. They became model prisoners and recruited others to take advantage of the next opportunity to attend the program.

lkprescott said:
I know how to say it, I'm a born and raised PAer... 10th generation.. at least... it's outta towners who don't say it right... like fingernails on a chalkboard. LOL..

I'm from SW PA, but have family near Lancaster. I know how to pronounce it, and must agree that others definitely don't. When I talk about going there to friends down here the don't even recognize what city I mean. LoL

The last time I heard a native pronounce Lancaster, I thought she sneezed.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Like Nevada, Iowa? (Nah-VAY-dah.)

Pennsylvania has so many fun places, like Indiana. (We don't need to read about Intercourse again, either.)

Indiana, Pennsylvania is the hometown of James Stewart, but it is also home to Indiana University of Pennsylvania. A friend of mine teaches there, and it's always fun to quote a professor from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, because people who have never heard of it wrinkle up their faces like they just bit into a lemmon.

LOL.. yeah, Central PA is chock full of :blushing: interesting names... Blue Ball, Paradise, Bird in Hand :rolleyes: ... then there's the funky ones named after NA language... like Bryn Mawr and Conshohocken... then the just plain funky like Mars and if you like Indiana PA try Wyoming PA.... tis true. and you can tell who has the PA Dutch accent yet when they pronounce East Stroudsburg... LOL

nicki25 said:
sorrytext.gif
Here, poor Nicki tries to start a serious thread, and we pretty well wreck it. Well, I started it, anyway.

Mick Emmaus was just more than I could pass up. :angel:

Related to Anyone Ever Been on a Walk to Emmaus???

1. What is the Walk to Emmaus?

The Walk to Emmaus is a spiritual retreat program for Christians of all denominations. It is designed to deepen one's faith and relationship with God through a series of talks, small group discussions, and worship.

2. Who can attend the Walk to Emmaus?

The Walk to Emmaus is open to all Christians, regardless of age, gender, or denomination. However, participants must be at least 18 years old and have a desire to grow in their faith.

3. How long does the Walk to Emmaus last?

The Walk to Emmaus is a three-day retreat, usually held over a weekend. The program begins on Thursday evening and ends on Sunday afternoon.

4. What happens during the Walk to Emmaus?

During the Walk to Emmaus, participants will engage in a series of talks, small group discussions, and worship. There will also be time for personal reflection and prayer. The program is designed to help participants grow in their faith and develop a deeper understanding of God's love and grace.

5. Is the Walk to Emmaus affiliated with a specific church or denomination?

The Walk to Emmaus is an interdenominational program and is not affiliated with a specific church or denomination. It is open to all Christians who have a desire to grow in their faith and deepen their relationship with God.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Ish
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies