• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Else Not Have a Microwave?

S
slingmommy
I'm not a big fan of microwaves and I don't own one myself. I know there are PC products specifically for the microwave but I'm not going to focus on those in my shows since I don't have a way to test out how they work first at home. Are there any other Consultants who don't own a microwave? If so, how does it affect your business? Thanks.
Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a microwave, and use it all the time, but I did go to a show once where the host didn't have one. Fortunately, I could use my saute pan for the chocolate I was going to melt, but it was generally inconvenient.

A lot of my customers love the micro-cakes and easy things like that, and I have sold a lot of rice cookers because of it. Perhaps you will sell a lot of cookware though! Good Luck!

I've got a microwave oven with a turntable, but the motor that turns the table burned out. A new motor costs more than an entire microwave oven, so I make do with it - but the microwave cake recipes for the rice cooker don't turn out.I hate to say this (not really) but in this day and age, I don't see how you can get along without one.

I've had one for so long that I can't imagine life without it! I probably use mine at least twice a day.

I hate to say this (not really) but in this day and age said:
I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to adjust to life without it. I had one for years but have been doing without one for quite some time now and I don't even notice. The only thing I miss is having a digital clock in the kitchen. :)

I don't think I could melt butter without my atom smasher because I don't remember how.I'm in a hotel room right now (Indianapolis) that has a microwave and I'm getting spoiled. I can eat right here in my room (I hate dining out for a number of reasons) and now I wonder how I'm going to get along in hotel rooms without a microwave!

There was a day when I had a microwave b/c it was built into the kitchen of the apt that I rented. Then I moved into a house with a dated kitchen, no microwave. That was all I wanted for Christmas, and my parents got me one. Here it is 10 years later... It's such a convenience... I know that people can get along without them, but I know that I would be a real loss. There was a day before microwaves and stoves, and ovens... but I can't imagine my life without them. We will be doing a complete kitchen overhaul in the next few years - we are still planning it out now and saving money. I figure that I will be without a kitchen for about 2 months. I will cook for my family using the microwave, George Foreman, electric skillet and a toaster oven.... and our backyard grill has a burner too.... so I should be set... but not having a microwave?? I can't imagine!! I definitely see where someone could get by without it, but not me! ;)

If you have George Forman cooking for you, why do you need a kitchen?Or is George not as good as Emeril?

I can't go more than one waking hour without using my microwave!! God bless you for ever TRYING to live without it!!

BTW- Microwave lovers- I am addicted to the new Birdseye Steamfresh veggies! You buy them frozen, then put the whole bag (specially designed) in the micro for 4-5 mins, and it makes PERFECT steamed veggies! I buy them 5-10 bags at a time!

I do own a microwave - and use it for quick jobs, but I am very much opposed to cooking in the microwave - personally,I feel the quality of the food prepared is far inferior to traditional cooking methods! But I know I am in a minority there! I rarely use one for my demo (only in Sept when I feature Mom's Apple Crisp!). I have made the micro-cakes everyone raves about, and also been at shows where they were served - and every time all I can think is "Eeeewww!":eek:
I think we live in a fast food society, and some people have forgotten what real, made from scratch, food tastes like, and so are willing to settle for what is convenient.
I like to show people at my shows that cooking can be fun and easy(er) when you have the right tools - and I manage to do that w/o using the microwave!

That being said - I sell a ton of micro-cookers, and I never even bring them to my shows!

And please - those of you who love using the micro - please don't jump all over me:rolleyes: I didn't mean this post as a slam to you - I just wanted Melissa to know that there are others out there who aren't big fans of the microwave!

ChefBeckyD said:
I do own a microwave - and use it for quick jobs, but I am very much opposed to cooking in the microwave - personally,I feel the quality of the food prepared is far inferior to traditional cooking methods! But I know I am in a minority there! I rarely use one for my demo (only in Sept when I feature Mom's Apple Crisp!). I have made the micro-cakes everyone raves about, and also been at shows where they were served - and every time all I can think is "Eeeewww!":eek:
I think we live in a fast food society, and some people have forgotten what real, made from scratch, food tastes like, and so are willing to settle for what is convenient.
I like to show people at my shows that cooking can be fun and easy(er) when you have the right tools - and I manage to do that w/o using the microwave!

That being said - I sell a ton of micro-cookers, and I never even bring them to my shows!

And please - those of you who love using the micro - please don't jump all over me:rolleyes: I didn't mean this post as a slam to you - I just wanted Melissa to know that there are others out there who aren't big fans of the microwave!

Then do you make the Quick Apple Crisp instead...it is made in the oven. I have made & had both of them & I personally think the 1 in the oven ( quick apple crisp ) is FAR BETTER!!;)

Ginger428 said:
Then do you make the Quick Apple Crisp instead...it is made in the oven. I have made & had both of them & I personally think the 1 in the oven ( quick apple crisp ) is FAR BETTER!!;)
It probably is - and I think vinyl sounds better than digital.

You have to consider your market - most everyone who attends your show has a microwave and will be far more impressed with the ease of using the atom smasher to make a great dessert than the oven.

This is not intended as a dig or a slam, either, it's just true: don't tell the group that you don't like the microwave and never use it. That's about the same as wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey in downtown Chicago. (Not that I'd know about doing that or anything.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's about the same as wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey in downtown Chicago. (Not that I'd know about doing that or anything.)
So fill us in on how many things you got thrown at you and how many people yelled at you, lol.

[hijack]
Actually, it's kinda fun to be an agitator. The Bear/Packer rivalry is actually fun - I think both sides enjoy aggitating the other!I'm in Indianapolis this weekend and I just came from the Indy Packer Backer club - watching the game in a big restaurant/sports bar. It got kinda quiet in the second quarter and the rest of the game was pretty painful to watch but I was sure impressed with the size of the group.And, of course, sharing a last name with the local hero isn't too bad. I'm wearing a number 18 jersey right now so I can get a free milkshake at Steak 'n' Shake.
[/hijack]

ChefBeckyD said:

You feel very similarly to the way I do. I like things as natural as possible. I am a total organic freak. I make my own cleansers, toothpaste, etc. I know that PC isn't on that frequency and I'm totally cool with that. I know that my family lives a lot differently than most, and I have no problem teaching people how to cook using recipes that I probably wouldn't use in my own home. I don't feel our way is "better" just "different". And I'm all for showing people who love their mircowaves ways to make their lives even easier by using them. I just won't be able to test the recipes first at home! I will not be bringing up the organic lifestyle in my shows because I know it isn't everyones cup of tea and doesn't have diddly to do with PC.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It probably is - and I think vinyl sounds better than digital.

You have to consider your market - most everyone who attends your show has a microwave and will be far more impressed with the ease of using the atom smasher to make a great dessert than the oven.

This is not intended as a dig or a slam, either, it's just true: don't tell the group that you don't like the microwave and never use it. That's about the same as wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey in downtown Chicago. (Not that I'd know about doing that or anything.)

I would never mention that I don't own a microwave in my shows. I know most people love theirs and I'm definitely a total freak in this department!

slingmommy said:
You feel very similarly to the way I do. I like things as natural as possible. I am a total organic freak. I make my own cleansers, toothpaste, etc. I know that PC isn't on that frequency and I'm totally cool with that. I know that my family lives a lot differently than most, and I have no problem teaching people how to cook using recipes that I probably wouldn't use in my own home. I don't feel our way is "better" just "different". And I'm all for showing people who love their mircowaves ways to make their lives even easier by using them. I just won't be able to test the recipes first at home! I will not be bringing up the organic lifestyle in my shows because I know it isn't everyones cup of tea and doesn't have diddly to do with PC.

Melissa - we are on the same page :D Although I don't make my own toothpaste:rolleyes: I don't talk about the way we eat at shows either - and like I said, I sell a ton of micro-cookers (they are in my top 10 items!), and also believe it is a lifestyle choice that we have made -totally understanding that we are in a minority! I do tend to choose recipes to demo that use more whole foods (vs. convenience foods), and people at my shows love getting tips on using fresh fruits & veggies......I have found that often people don't use them because they aren't sure how or have never had them etc......and love being given ideas on how they can be incorporated into their diets in a simpleway! And with all the press lately about childhood obesity and diabetes, and how diet affects learning, people are actually very receptive to new ideas for cooking! It isn't something I cram down their throats, it's more just simple tips that I give......I hear alot of "I never knew that!", and "Oh, so that's how you do that!", and other comments along that line. Don't be afraid to share what you know - and don't underestimate people! Most people love to learn, and love new ideas - and what you know could help you stand out and make your shows different from every other PC show they've been to!

They are so convenient that I have 2 of them. One built in and one on counter top (smaller). That way, IF I ever get any bookings with no appliances, I have my own to take with me. I also found a electric burner (NIP...never opened), at a yard sale for $1.00. So now I really am a show to go. LOL
Valky

Oh...my toaster oven comes in handy too!
Valky

Last edited:
ChefBeckyD said:
Melissa - we are on the same page :D Although I don't make my own toothpaste:rolleyes: I don't talk about the way we eat at shows either - and like I said, I sell a ton of micro-cookers (they are in my top 10 items!), and also believe it is a lifestyle choice that we have made -totally understanding that we are in a minority! I do tend to choose recipes to demo that use more whole foods (vs. convenience foods), and people at my shows love getting tips on using fresh fruits & veggies......I have found that often people don't use them because they aren't sure how or have never had them etc......and love being given ideas on how they can be incorporated into their diets in a simpleway! And with all the press lately about childhood obesity and diabetes, and how diet affects learning, people are actually very receptive to new ideas for cooking! It isn't something I cram down their throats, it's more just simple tips that I give......I hear alot of "I never knew that!", and "Oh, so that's how you do that!", and other comments along that line. Don't be afraid to share what you know - and don't underestimate people! Most people love to learn, and love new ideas - and what you know could help you stand out and make your shows different from every other PC show they've been to!

Very good points! I haven't even practiced a show at home yet so I haven't figured out just what I'm going to say. I like your ideas about helpful hints in regard to whole foods, choosing veggies etc. I'm sure you're right that people are more receptive to things than I give them credit for. Living in "the land of fruits and nuts" I should defintely be aware that people are open to those kinds of suggestions and incorporate them in a natural way into my shows. Thanks!

slingmommy said:
I know that my family lives a lot differently than most, and I have no problem teaching people how to cook using recipes that I probably wouldn't use in my own home. I don't feel our way is "better" just "different". And I'm all for showing people who love their mircowaves ways to make their lives even easier by using them. I just won't be able to test the recipes first at home! I will not be bringing up the organic lifestyle in my shows because I know it isn't everyones cup of tea and doesn't have diddly to do with PC.

I don't think organic lifestyles are all that different. Almost eveyone I know and everyone I meet is either all natural or organic or heading in that direction. I know that most people are not fully organic, most people these days seem to want to learn about healthier lifestyles and no one wants their kids eating processed crap so I don't think you should worry about not bringing up the way you eat or don't eat! These days people are very receptive to this lifestyle and want to learn more. Just don't talk down to people or act like you are high and mighty because of the way you eat.

I was thinking the same thing Jessica.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. You've really given me a lot to think about. I love this board! Even before I've started working on my first show I have a lot creative input and helpful ideas as to how to get started. This is great!

I do have a microwave, although it is ancient. I rarely use it except for warming something up or making microwave popcorn. I'm not a big microwave fan in general and almost always do everything on my stove or in the oven. Even when warming things up, I will opt for the oven if I can, but sometimes it's just more time-saving to use the microwave. I actually had a show last month when I was talking about hte prep bowl omelets where someone went on a rant about microwaves being dangerous...hmmm...lol. Guess it's because I live in crazy CA. Organic food is definitely on the uprise here and you can always be a "hippie" in CA and it's totally fine... I still do a lot of eco-friendly cleansers and stuff, but I haven't made my own toothpaste and laundry detergent. :) BUT.... I was a slingin mama too! :)

PoseyMom said:
I do have a microwave, although it is ancient. I rarely use it except for warming something up or making microwave popcorn. I'm not a big microwave fan in general and almost always do everything on my stove or in the oven. Even when warming things up, I will opt for the oven if I can, but sometimes it's just more time-saving to use the microwave. I actually had a show last month when I was talking about hte prep bowl omelets where someone went on a rant about microwaves being dangerous...hmmm...lol. Guess it's because I live in crazy CA. Organic food is definitely on the uprise here and you can always be a "hippie" in CA and it's totally fine... I still do a lot of eco-friendly cleansers and stuff, but I haven't made my own toothpaste and laundry detergent. :) BUT.... I was a slingin mama too! :)

I would definitely qualify as a CA hippie. My mother revels in calling me that since I moved here over a decade ago. Glad to see another slingin mama! I'm heavy into the Attachment Parent lifestyle. Though my little one is not so little anymore and I regularly have to see a chiropractor from carrying him in the sling!

I was/am very AP. I don't know what you call it when they are 14, 10 and 4!

ChefJesssica said:
I don't think organic lifestyles are all that different. Almost eveyone I know and everyone I meet is either all natural or organic or heading in that direction. I know that most people are not fully organic, most people these days seem to want to learn about healthier lifestyles and no one wants their kids eating processed crap so I don't think you should worry about not bringing up the way you eat or don't eat! These days people are very receptive to this lifestyle and want to learn more. Just don't talk down to people or act like you are high and mighty because of the way you eat.

I think it really depends on where you live......other than my immediate family, I know of only 2 other families that even try to eat naturally or organically! One of those is my friend w/ breast cancer, and she is on an organic diet as part of her alternative treatment. Some of her friends and family wanted to organize meals for her family, but had NO IDEA how to cook for her - so they just give me money for groceries, and have me do the cooking. I have to travel to 3 different grocery stores and the (only one) local health food store to get what I need to cook for her (I do this anyway for my family too) oh, and visit a local farm for organic chicken, cheese, etc.... It is a HUGE commitment to lead an organic lifestyle here - I am looked on w/ suspicion, and made fun of - people will actually ask me if the food I made is organic - because they don't want to eat any of that "health food crap"! (and I'm a trained chef!) It is never an issue of me acting "high and mighty" about the way that I eat - in fact, I try never to mention the way that I eat, because of the way that I am ridiculed! That is why I just try to offer tips about eating healthier, and using fresh ingredients.
I have called and emailed Whole Foods Market (natural grocery store very big in other parts of the country) to see if they would consider putting one here, and have been told several times that because of the demographics, they don't see putting one of their stores here in the forseeable future! How sad is that! (and my state is listed as one of the most obese in the nation!)

PoseyMom said:
I was/am very AP. I don't know what you call it when they are 14, 10 and 4!

It's still AP. Especially, I'm sure, for the 4 year old. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I think it really depends on where you live......other than my immediate family, I know of only 2 other families that even try to eat naturally or organically! One of those is my friend w/ breast cancer, and she is on an organic diet as part of her alternative treatment. Some of her friends and family wanted to organize meals for her family, but had NO IDEA how to cook for her - so they just give me money for groceries, and have me do the cooking. I have to travel to 3 different grocery stores and the (only one) local health food store to get what I need to cook for her (I do this anyway for my family too) oh, and visit a local farm for organic chicken, cheese, etc.... It is a HUGE commitment to lead an organic lifestyle here - I am looked on w/ suspicion, and made fun of - people will actually ask me if the food I made is organic - because they don't want to eat any of that "health food crap"! (and I'm a trained chef!) It is never an issue of me acting "high and mighty" about the way that I eat - in fact, I try never to mention the way that I eat, because of the way that I am ridiculed! That is why I just try to offer tips about eating healthier, and using fresh ingredients.
I have called and emailed Whole Foods Market (natural grocery store very big in other parts of the country) to see if they would consider putting one here, and have been told several times that because of the demographics, they don't see putting one of their stores here in the forseeable future! How sad is that! (and my state is listed as one of the most obese in the nation!)
Ugh, that is a huge bummer! I practically LIVE at Whole Foods. They know me, and my kids, by our first names because we're in there 3 times a week. It would be so much harder to do what you're doing. I commend you for making such an effort! I know so many people here who live the organic lifestyle. In fact I'm so used to it that I'm shocked when I see someone who doesn't. I'm pretty much surrounded by like minded people. The benefits of living in the land of "avocado heads"!

A friend sent me this yesterday!:eek: Can anyone verify if this is true? I'm too lazy to check for myself. :p

I wouldn't even know where to check. I got this email from a friend of mine yesterday. IT was alarming but I wasn't sure how to take it. Is it a hoax or is it real?

FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT

Prepared By: William P. Kopp
A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10- 77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a
Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven
From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical
studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our
kitchens.
Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long
term - permanent brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the
brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products
created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by
continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term,
permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or
altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body
absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals
when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths
[tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in
America.

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to
increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system
deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional
instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet? After you throw out your
microwave you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for
most and is nearly as quick.

Debbie :D

There is definitely a lot of scary stuff about microwaves out there, but I think most of it is just that...scare tactics. However, I got rid of my microwave because of only one thing - warming human milk (breastmilk) in the microwave changes it's chemical make up and can take away some of the nutritive properties. I figure if it can do that to breastmilk then it probably isn't too good for any other food as well. I tossed it and never looked back. *shrug*

ChefBeckyD said:

Wow! I cannot believe you are actually ridiculed for eating healthy. I feel like people I know are ridiculed for not eating organically! I guess I figured everyone these days was eating organic or atleast attempting to. About half of what we eat is organic, we try to eat well, but we don't always. That is so sad that you have to try so hard to eat organically. It is pretty easy in my part of Texas. They sell organic foods in the regular grocery store, but we also have Central Market and Whole Foods. I guess I figured it was like this everywhere. Good luck to you!

DebbieSAChef said:
:eek: Can anyone verify if this is true? I'm too lazy to check for myself. :p

I wouldn't even know where to check. I got this email from a friend of mine yesterday. IT was alarming but I wasn't sure how to take it. Is it a hoax or is it real?

FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT

Prepared By: William P. Kopp
A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10- 77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a
Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven
From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical
studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our
kitchens.
Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long
term - permanent brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the
brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products
created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by
continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term,
permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or
altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body
absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals
when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths
[tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in
America.

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to
increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system
deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional
instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet? After you throw out your
microwave you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for
most and is nearly as quick.

Debbie :D

I wouldn't be too surprised if this were true. I have heard that cooking your veggies in a microwave takes away the minerals and vitamins. I hadnt heard it does this to breast milk but it makes sense! Slingmommy, I think all you should do is stay away from those microwave recipies. There is nothing wrong with avoiding the products and recipies you dont care for.

Cooking veggies on a stovetop also takes out vitamins and minerals. Antime you boil veggies you are doing exactly the same thing. There are many hazards in todays society. Antibiotics that are often over prescribed kill the much needed antibodies in your system. The xrays that you are given at the dentist, dr's, hospitals are also a hazard. The list goes on forever so unless you are ready to live life in a plastic bubble (and the plastic could probably be some sort of health risk too) then you just have to decide for yourself. My mother lives in constant fear of 'WHAT IF" Something that I refuse to do.

Valky

yummy4tummy said:
Cooking veggies on a stovetop also takes out vitamins and minerals. Antime you boil veggies you are doing exactly the same thing. There are many hazards in todays society. Antibiotics that are often over prescribed kill the much needed antibodies in your system. The xrays that you are given at the dentist, dr's, hospitals are also a hazard. The list goes on forever so unless you are ready to live life in a plastic bubble (and the plastic could probably be some sort of health risk too) then you just have to decide for yourself. My mother lives in constant fear of 'WHAT IF" Something that I refuse to do.

Valky

AMEN!!!
Also, just because you eat organic DOES NOT mean you are eating healthy...ALOT of organic stuff is loaded with fat & or sugar etc....Also what I find is people that eat organic tend to come off as if they are better than others...I.E. they have some kind of Co Op organic fruit & veggie thing that people were looking to get us to join. 1 of the women in charge ( all 400lbs. of her:rolleyes: ) will put us down for not eating properly...or a couple of others that ( at the time I was still smoking ) put us down & tell us we are hurting their lungs ( as they toke away on thier doobies!:rolleyes: ) Bottom line is EVERYONE has a vice & we all have to learn to just be ok with everyone else!!;)
1 last thing..if ever you get weird Email saying WHATEVER!!! go to www.snopes.com it might help.

Ginger428 said:
AMEN!!!
Also, just because you eat organic DOES NOT mean you are eating healthy...ALOT of organic stuff is loaded with fat & or sugar etc....Also what I find is people that eat organic tend to come off as if they are better than others...I.E. they have some kind of Co Op organic fruit & veggie thing that people were looking to get us to join. 1 of the women in charge ( all 400lbs. of her:rolleyes: ) will put us down for not eating properly...or a couple of others that ( at the time I was still smoking ) put us down & tell us we are hurting their lungs ( as they toke away on thier doobies!:rolleyes: ) Bottom line is EVERYONE has a vice & we all have to learn to just be ok with everyone else!!;)
1 last thing..if ever you get weird Email saying WHATEVER!!! go to www.snopes.com it might help.

I certainly hope that you don't feel I came off that way. I don't think I'm "better than others". And I am not trying to get anyone to join anything. Co-op or otherwise.

slingmommy said:
I certainly hope that you don't feel I came off that way. I don't think I'm "better than others". And I am not trying to get anyone to join anything. Co-op or otherwise.

I didn't think you came off that way.

slingmommy said:

I don't think you came off that way at all.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• koima
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • melaniehay22
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
melaniehay22
  • chefnene