• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Another At-Home-Party Consultant Said...

In summary, the consultant told the hostess that if the host ever wanted to make more money, they should come work for her at a better company. The hostess was rude back and said that she would never say anything like that to someone. The consultant said that some people like PC and some people don't. Some people love cooking and some people don't. Some people like to see their product at their neighbor's house and some people don't. The hostess said that she loves to cook and that's why she likes PC, but she doesn't like decorations or jewelry. The hostess also said that she has been doing parties for the neighbor for 15 years and she's never been a big fan of the
redsoxgirl
I went to a home decorating party last night and one of the ladies asked me how PC was going (it was off to the side and everyone was chatting so it wasn't like she yelled it in the middle of the show or anything) and the consultant heard her. She asked why I decided on PC and I tolf her I love cooking and I love the products and that I owend so much of it I figured I should sell it!

So alter in the night, it was the host, her 2 daughters (who are like little sisters to me), the consultant and me. The consultant says to me as I'm leaving "Lindsay - if you ever decide you want to make 40%, just let me know and you can come to work with me at the better company!"

How rude!! I would never say anything like that to someone!!!

And - if I'm not mistaken, this company makes their consultants pay for the host specials - I don't have to do that! And - people like our stuff better so :p

You should had said "well Mary, when you decide you want to get paid to eat and party - Let me know and you can come work with me at the best company"

LOL!

I guess it would all depend on her tone... I dream she was joking! If not she was totally rude..... :thumbdown:

I could have signed up to sell Marykay or something and make a better % but you can't sell what you don't love.....

Sometimes people just don't think... let it roll!

People don't always take into consideration with those higher commissions, like you said they may have to pay for host gifts etc....and people do have to sell what works best for them.
For me it's PC.....I'm having a Home Interiors party this weekend for a friend that does a PC party for me every year; so I figure I can do one for her now. Plus I need some of her stuff! But, some of my friends are saying "sorry, I would just prefer to buy PC!" LOL! What I figure with PC is....every one cooks (at least a little!), so PC is more of a necessity; whereas decorationg stuff or jewelry are splurges. (for me anyway)

Well if you knew me, I would have went right to her and siad you know Mary I think that is quite rude of you to say that. And I would have walked out. HOW DARE some people!

Some people are just rude. There's nothing you can do to change them.

I'd take lower commission with a better company any day! My aunt makes 50% with her jewelry business but she has to pay for alot more things out of pocket.

wadesgirl said:
I'd take lower commission with a better company any day! My aunt makes 50% with her jewelry business but she has to pay for alot more things out of pocket.
I also would be willing to bet that her show average and monthly average are lower than the PC average.

She's been doing parties for my neighbor for like 15 years and I've never been a big fan of hers (she's not very smart to be honest), so it didn't really surprise me that she'd say something like that!

And I know some people like it, but I'm so not religious and they have a lot of God-related things in there. I would totally not feel comfortable selling that stuff at all!

I love "selling" something that people call me up and NEED. Or having my husband come home and saying...how much is that b/c I think this guy at work needs one (b/c of my DH, I had over $200 in orders from the two women in the office). He came home asking for a catalog b/c he was talking about PC with them. I don't believe he'd be doing that with jewelry or home decor :). Personally, when it come to decorating my home or myself, I don't want to see it at my neighbor's house and that's what happens with that stuff. Now kitchen stuff, that's fun to see b/c it's "OH I have that and LOVE it!!".You do have to have a love for your product and PC isn't for everyone I'm sure. I cook more now so this is better for my family. Not having to pay for my specials or credit card charges and being able to USE all of my products is great. You can't really do that with all companies.Oh and we have super opportunities to earn the new products as they come out. Not all companies do. It would actually be really neat to see a comparison, commission schedules, pay for host/guest specials, pay for credit card costs, earn free product, new consultant incentives, etc.

With the economy doing what it's doing, people are splitting their needs and wants list. Eating out is a luxury- an expensive one! Our tools are on the "need" list to save money by not eating out!

Who knows what some people are thinking. I probably would not have had a witty comeback. I probably would have said something like, "Thanks, I'll think about it."

I'm sold! How do I sign up? LOL!

I wouldn't worry about it...most people recognize digs like that as rude and uncalled for.I don't tell a nurse, "Hey, when you think of coming to a more intellectual professional like engineering, give me a call." That would be rude!!!! ...and each job has its own challenges. Trust me, I don't envy the 16 year old kid giving me my order at McDonalds because I KNOW they have to deal with horrible customers some days. I am glad to see them working - who cares what the job is - you are working and I am not paying your welfare! So, to tell someone to switch DS companies in that manner is very unprofessional. Brush it off, don't worry about it, don't respond and you'll win in the end. :)

a lot depends on the tone. when i meet another ds person at a show, i take the attitude that we are all in the same biz and i ask how they are doing and if they are having fun, and we talk about how great ds is in general. sometimes i will jokingly say "if you ever get tired of (skincare, jewelry, candles) i'd love to have you on MY team!" that usually gets a laugh.

if someone had said that to me, i would have just laughed it off, which is a very effective way to decline without getting all offended.

I debated between PC and another company a few of my friends run and the first thing they said to me was "Well, we make 50% of our sales which means since your catalog show was $600 you would have made $300" Little do they know its not ABOUT the $ for me, its about I LOVE TO COOK I LOVE the products and so does A LOT of others. The stuff they sell you can find at Target, Walmart, Kohls etc for 1/2 or 3/4's of the price they sell it for. One of my friends is still pretty upset with me, but I'm not really caring too much!

With me being in military housing there are a LOT of other DS reps living all around me. Luckily we all have an unspoken agreement not to ride on each other about our own companies. We just know that we're all happy doing our own thing. I do ask questions sometimes about their requirements, and they do the same to me, but we never say anything rude about the other companies. I think that is distasteful.

I agree, that was rude. I had a Mary Kay Director do kind of the same thing to me. She said she was interested in hosting a PC show and then in the same breath tried to recruit me over to MK. She was really overbearing and said "why would you want to work so hard when you can do MK and make 50% of what you sell?" Umm, hello, I wasn't even wearing makeup and it was at a bridal faire. You'd think if I wore makeup it would be to an event like that! She was so rude about PC I would never, ever sign up under her even if I were interested in MK!!

janetupnorth said:
I wouldn't worry about it...most people recognize digs like that as rude and uncalled for.

I don't tell a nurse, "Hey, when you think of coming to a more intellectual professional like engineering, give me a call." That would be rude!!!! ...and each job has its own challenges. Trust me, I don't envy the 16 year old kid giving me my order at McDonalds because I KNOW they have to deal with horrible customers some days. I am glad to see them working - who cares what the job is - you are working and I am not paying your welfare! So, to tell someone to switch DS companies in that manner is very unprofessional. Brush it off, don't worry about it, don't respond and you'll win in the end. :)

Totally agree. Plus, if I want to EAT at McD's, then someone has to WORK there.

cookin to the top said:
With the economy doing what it's doing, people are splitting their needs and wants list. Eating out is a luxury- an expensive one! Our tools are on the "need" list to save money by not eating out!

That's exactly why I am happy to be with PC and not another company. I have met so many other DS people here in Michigan who are really struggling. People just can't justify spending $50 on a pair of earrings, or $45 on a vase, or $40 on skin products when they are struggling to make the car/house payment. Whereas, come to a PC party, and almost everyone can afford a mini serving spatula, a garlic press, a can opener.. things they will use everyday. And they don't feel guilty about buying them.

I can't imagine being with anyone else right now. Plus.. sure you can make 50% on some companies, but that's only if you can sell all that YOU buy. Not me, no inventory for me.

redsoxgirl said:
I went to a home decorating party last night and one of the ladies asked me how PC was going (it was off to the side and everyone was chatting so it wasn't like she yelled it in the middle of the show or anything) and the consultant heard her. She asked why I decided on PC and I tolf her I love cooking and I love the products and that I owend so much of it I figured I should sell it!

So alter in the night, it was the host, her 2 daughters (who are like little sisters to me), the consultant and me. The consultant says to me as I'm leaving "Lindsay - if you ever decide you want to make 40%, just let me know and you can come to work with me at the better company!"

How rude!! I would never say anything like that to someone!!!

And - if I'm not mistaken, this company makes their consultants pay for the host specials - I don't have to do that! And - people like our stuff better so :p

Better company? Ugh... oh the fun responses one can think of in response. For me the easiest response would be the truth.. "I'm not a natural salesman, I can only sell what I believe in, regardless of commission % and well, PC is just such a thing I CAN sell". There's more to life than commission... and well, what we offer our hosts, just can't be beat by ANY other DSA that I could see anyway. That is just as important to me, than any ol' commission %.

PamperChefCarol said:
I can't imagine being with anyone else right now. Plus.. sure you can make 50% on some companies, but that's only if you can sell all that YOU buy. Not me, no inventory for me.
That is so true! I regularly read another site aimed at consultants and former consultants of another DS company, and it's full of inventory horror stories! It's also one of the 50% commission companies, but again, that's IF you sell it all, IF you maintain a large enough ordering schedule to keep a 50% discount yourself, and consultants are responsible for all host benefits. No thank you!

Jules711 said:
I love "selling" something that people call me up and NEED. Or having my husband come home and saying...how much is that b/c I think this guy at work needs one (b/c of my DH, I had over $200 in orders from the two women in the office). He came home asking for a catalog b/c he was talking about PC with them. I don't believe he'd be doing that with jewelry or home decor :).

I love it!! Last summer my boyfriend sold tons of the corn cob nobs for me just by saying how great they are to his other farmer friends and family. Then he got started on how great the mix n chop is. He hasn't gotten excited over anything else since so I guess that means that i should have him cook dinner a couple of times and use a new tool.

jbarnhill said:
I love it!! Last summer my boyfriend sold tons of the corn cob nobs for me just by saying how great they are to his other farmer friends and family. Then he got started on how great the mix n chop is. He hasn't gotten excited over anything else since so I guess that means that i should have him cook dinner a couple of times and use a new tool.
Hee Hee - I think you should make sure it's the UM, or the Food Chopper, or something like that - think of the commission on those!

I have a friend who sells Home Interiors, and while yes...she does make more commission wise that I do selling PC, she has WAY more out of pocket expenses and literally a whole walk in closet full of inventory. She has to pay out of pocket for all of her hostesses benefits, and she has such a hard time getting rid of inventory unless she marks it down to cost, so she ends up making NO profit whatsoever on any of the inventory

ChefBeckyD said:
Hee Hee - I think you should make sure it's the UM, or the Food Chopper, or something like that - think of the commission on those!

I was thinking forged cutlery and cookware! ;)

janetupnorth said:
I was thinking forged cutlery and cookware! ;)

I was thinking June Bookings!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I was thinking June Bookings!:D

Oh, yeah! I'll give you that one! Of course, I always seem to sell the knives and cookware at 1/2 off or 60% off and don't make commission on them. :(

Related to Another At-Home-Party Consultant Said...

1. Can I switch to a different consultant if I have already booked a party with another consultant?

No, once you have booked a party with a consultant, that consultant will be the one to host your party. However, you can always reach out to another consultant for future parties or to purchase products.

2. What if I have already attended a party with another consultant?

If you have already attended a party with another consultant, you are still welcome to book a party with a different consultant. Each consultant has their own unique style and product offerings, so you may still have a great experience with a different consultant.

3. Can I use my host rewards from another consultant's party with a different consultant?

No, host rewards are only applicable to the consultant hosting the party. If you would like to use your rewards with a different consultant, you will need to host a party with that specific consultant.

4. Can I combine orders from multiple consultants to reach a higher host reward level?

No, each party and host rewards are specific to the consultant hosting the party. Orders cannot be combined across different consultants.

5. Will I receive the same discounts and promotions if I book a party with a different consultant?

Each consultant may have their own unique promotions and discounts for their parties. It is best to check with the consultant you plan on hosting a party with to see what promotions they currently have available.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
darlinclem
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • flemings99
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies