• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant anE-Bay Vent but Not What You Think...

In summary, the speaker has been managing E-bay listings for their employer for 4 years, but has noticed changes and increasing fees. They try to keep prices low, but have recently been surprised by the high listing fees and additional charges at closing. They have also had a negative experience with trying to include PayPal fees in their listings. Other participants in the conversation also share their frustrations with E-bay fees and suggest alternative platforms like Craigslist.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, I personally take care of all E-bay listings for my FT employer...I've done this for about 4 years now.

Anyway, I've watched E-bay change and prices go up so I mainly just have things in the "store" to reduce costs.

We keep our E-bay prices low - same as on our internet site, once in awhile there are a twinge lower.

We plan on keeping it that way!

Anyway, I just went to put some Flea & Tick Items on auction to get some visibility because it is that season and I really hate to see people on E-bay buying the overseas fake crap from some guy out there making a scam out of it...basically peddling the cheap fake stuff. So, I go to put some store listings on auction...

I about DIED at the current listing fees...

It costs $2.50 to list ONE $50.00 item with a subtitle...
Then, you get charged another $3.07 at closing for that same item.

For a $50 item, E-bay just took 11% of the item selling price for themselves...not to mention Paypal fees.

I sometimes wonder how there is STILL so much stuff out on E-bay...or why people think they are getting a bargain with most sellers. :rolleyes:

YIKES! :grumpy: :eek:

I tried to add the paypal fees into my listing the other day and they removed my listing b/c of it and send a notice to all that had bidded that I had VIOLATED the policies and it was being removed. I took the wording out and relisted it but had no bids of course b/c they made me look like a horrible person! I had no idea I could not add the fees back! I emailed them about it too. And I had good bids on the first time.

Isn't it ridiculous? That's part of the reason I haven't sold anything on eBay in a year or so. (I also think that storefront listings are higher than non-store items.)Of course, some sellers get around it by hiking their shipping fees, since eBay doesn't charge fees on those.

Interesting. I recently bought some books (out of print cute Alice In Bibleland kids books) and they were a good price. I ended up with some doubles so was thinking of selling them (though I've never sold on Ebay) and now I'm thinking maybe not?? I used to buy more but that was kid clothes and it's just harder at this age now that she has to try ON clothes! It was so much easier buying by month/year.

chefann said:
Isn't it ridiculous? That's part of the reason I haven't sold anything on eBay in a year or so. (I also think that storefront listings are higher than non-store items.)

Of course, some sellers get around it by hiking their shipping fees, since eBay doesn't charge fees on those.

True, but awhile ago they started cracking down on those too...

It's sad...

Wow - this is interesting - especially since I just started selling again after 1 year off of selling stuff ( not PC - don't worry!!) I have recently re-decorated many rooms in my house and am getting rid of a basket company stuff that I used to collect, kids things that they have outgrown etc.

I have and always stated that they read all shipping and handling information before bidding - I do charge a bit for handling - since its for gas, packing materials and well, ya some of the charges. BUT I do start my auctions at prices that I am willing to part with the items for - not less and hope that it will go up - I might start taking that into perspective as well - thanks for the information!

The rates were actually changed a bit ago, not RIGHT now...I think within the last year it was though. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time, but it really hurts many people and I KNOW E-bay is still making their money!

A couple of months ago there was an Ebay boycott advertised all over the place, asking everyone to not buy or list anything on Ebay for a couple of days, in protest of the sky rocketing fees. I guess it didn't work very well...:rolleyes:

I haven't sold on ebay in a couple of years because their prices are outrages (not including what paypal charges). It's just not worth it to me.

I've been using Craig's list locally for selling some items and it's going really pretty good. NO FEES a'tall!!! :)

Jules711 said:
Interesting. I recently bought some books (out of print cute Alice In Bibleland kids books) and they were a good price. I ended up with some doubles so was thinking of selling them (though I've never sold on Ebay) and now I'm thinking maybe not?? I used to buy more but that was kid clothes and it's just harder at this age now that she has to try ON clothes! It was so much easier buying by month/year.

First of all, let me say that I adore the Alice in Bible books. I bought a complete set at a garage sale a few years ago. The kids love the rhyme!!!

As far as reselling, try Half.com. They are a division of ebay, but deal only with books, dvds, cds, etc. You SET a price in your listing...it's not an auction. Once someone buys, you send it out. Half.com sets the shipping price, and it's always been fair.

I've sold and bought through half.com and have always been very happy with it. It's been a while since I sold, so I don't know what their current fees are, but it's worthc checking out!!!

HTH...SIID!!!

Okay...duh moment here...

I clicked on a "similar link" thread at the bottom of another thread, and didn't pay attention to the date. SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!

I'll have to pay better attention to that!!!!:eek:

nikked said:
Okay...duh moment here...

I clicked on a "similar link" thread at the bottom of another thread, and didn't pay attention to the date. SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!

I'll have to pay better attention to that!!!!:eek:

Funny! I popped on tonight and did a double-take at this...thinking...man, that was MONTHS ago! :)

Well I missed it the first time around - or at least I don't rememeber it. So no worries:)!

I just sold about $100 worth of products (not PC) and had to pay about $15 total in fees including PayPal. That is crazy!

their fees just keep going up and up. And I think I heard somewhere that pretty soon the only payment option for buyers is going to be paypal, no more money orders or checks! Grrr!! I was getting rid of books, old clothes, and other random bits on there but I think I'm going to have to find a cheaper way. It's too bad.

1. What is an E-Bay vent?

An E-Bay vent is a term used to describe a situation where a person is frustrated or disappointed with a purchase they made on E-Bay. It can also refer to venting about a negative experience with a seller or buyer on the platform.

2. How can I avoid having an E-Bay vent?

To avoid having an E-Bay vent, it is important to thoroughly research the seller before making a purchase. Read reviews, check their return policy, and ask any questions you may have before buying. It is also important to carefully read the product description and view all photos to ensure you are getting what you expect.

3. Can I return an item on E-Bay if I am unhappy with it?

Yes, most sellers on E-Bay have a return policy in place. If you are unhappy with your purchase, reach out to the seller first to see if they offer returns. If not, you can open a case with E-Bay's resolution center to try and get a refund.

4. What should I do if I have a negative experience with a seller on E-Bay?

If you have a negative experience with a seller on E-Bay, first try to communicate with them to resolve the issue. If that is not successful, you can leave feedback for the seller and open a case with E-Bay's resolution center. E-Bay also has a customer service team that can assist with any issues.

5. Are there any tips for buying on E-Bay to avoid having an E-Bay vent?

Yes, some tips for buying on E-Bay include checking the seller's feedback rating, reading reviews, and using secure payment methods. It is also important to be cautious of deals that seem too good to be true and to ask questions before making a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefkristin
  • RMDave
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
aried
Replies
Views
rlombas