• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread Starter

In summary, Friendship Bread is a starter that is made with 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. After receiving the starter or making it on day one, it is mashed twice a day for three days. On the fifth day, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk is added and the mixture is mashed, let out air, and transferred to a larger bag if necessary. On day six and seven, the mixture is mashed twice a day and let out air twice a day. On day 8 and 9, nothing is done to the mixture. On day 10, the mixture is finished by adding 1 cup of oil, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 small box of vanilla pudding, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 1 cup of walnuts (optional), 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 cup of flour before baking in a bundt pan or two loaf pans at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. The remaining portion of the mix is divided into three portions to be shared with friends. Do not use a metal spoon or pan when dealing with the starter.
Well, I was given a starter, but I imagine it's the same as Janet's since you add sugar, flour, and milk in equal parts. So it's basically like a sourdough starter, and mine probably doesn't get as much of that great starter flavor as Janet's!

Geekgirl69 said:
I would think not because most bread machines are metal inside and you shouldn't bake it in metal.

Good point. Ah well, I guess it will be worth the extra effort. :)

Thanks!! I need to make a new starter since mine spilled all over the counter!

I bake all of mine in metal.

I know you shouldn't store in metal or mix in metal, but I hadn't heard not to bake in metal.

I wouldn't think you could make it in the bread machine (or wouldn't want to) because it is a quick bread made from batter, not from dough.

Am I ruining my bread by putting it in metal? I mean, it's pretty amazing now (if i do say so), so if it could be better - wowza!

You should be able to bake it in metal. You just don't want it to sit in metal while it ferments. The acids from the started would pull the metal into it.However, metals have greatly changed since then so you'd PROBABLY be safe...

merego said:
I had never heard of this and my neighbor gave it to me on Saturday, It does not go in the fridge which made me nervous since it has milk and it does have a funny look to it in the bag, but she brought me over a piece she made from her bag and it is DELICIOUS!!!!! :)
I know what you mean; the first time I had this I was worried, but it turned out yummy. Oh, & it doesn't smell good either, by the time it's about ready to bake! The gas it releases is:yuck:

Baking in metal
KateD said:
I bake all of mine in metal.

I know you shouldn't store in metal or mix in metal, but I hadn't heard not to bake in metal.

I wouldn't think you could make it in the bread machine (or wouldn't want to) because it is a quick bread made from batter, not from dough.

Am I ruining my bread by putting it in metal? I mean, it's pretty amazing now (if i do say so), so if it could be better - wowza!

I had been told not to bake it in metal. I used to bake it in glass loaf pans but my first PC purchase were the stone ones and in my opinion far superior to the glass.

I'm making my own starter and I'm on Day 7. It looks really runny. Is is supposed to be runny? :confused:

Oh pickles! I keep forgetting to start mine! I was going to start it, but after deciding to wait so it would be ready on a Sunday I forgot... Can someone remind me to start it this this coming Wednesday?!! The flour and sugar are still sitting in the bag all ready to go...

Hmmm, I wonder if this would work well baked in the mini-fluted that i just got on Saturday (I :love: it already)?? I could make some cinnamony, add a few choc-chips to some, and maybe make part of it orangey... Yum!!

And then I'll weigh-in the next day, LOL! :) Hopefully my youth group kids will eat alot! (Shouldn't be a problem :D).

ETA: I am such a ding-bat - The right day to start would be FRIDAY, not Wed. Just figured that out while brushing my teeth... G'night everyone!

Last edited:
rebeccastt said:
I'm making my own starter and I'm on Day 7. It looks really runny. Is is supposed to be runny? :confused:

Mine was always pretty runny...

AnnieBee said:
Oh pickles! I keep forgetting to start mine! I was going to start it, but after deciding to wait so it would be ready on a Sunday I forgot... Can someone remind me to start it this this coming Wednesday?!! The flour and sugar are still sitting in the bag all ready to go...

Hmmm, I wonder if this would work well baked in the mini-fluted that i just got on Saturday (I :love: it already)?? I could make some cinnamony, add a few choc-chips to some, and maybe make part of it orangey... Yum!!

And then I'll weigh-in the next day, LOL! :) Hopefully my youth group kids will eat alot! (Shouldn't be a problem :D).

ETA: I am such a ding-bat - The right day to start would be FRIDAY, not Wed. Just figured that out while brushing my teeth... G'night everyone!

Ooh, I LOVE that idea!! I might just try it! Although, I have the mini loaf pan, too, which I haven't used yet, so I might use that as well... decisions, decisions.

We are making ours tomorrow. My 3 1/2 yr old DS is is so excited about it, he has been the one to mash and add ingredients.

Well, I guess this will be the thread that never dies... just like the starter...

Anyway, I actually remembered to make my starter this morning! Woo-hoo! Now I just have to remember to squish it everyday. I can't wait to actually be able to bake this - Yum :)

Thanks again Janet for the recipe - and where are you? Haven't heard too much from you these last couple of days, I hope all is well and you are just busy.

AnnieBee said:
Well, I guess this will be the thread that never dies... just like the starter...

Anyway, I actually remembered to make my starter this morning! Woo-hoo! Now I just have to remember to squish it everyday. I can't wait to actually be able to bake this - Yum :)

Thanks again Janet for the recipe - and where are you? Haven't heard too much from you these last couple of days, I hope all is well and you are just busy.

Yes, busy - lots of meetings and projects I was working on at work, couldn't take breaks or even lunch one day since I was busy.

I'm off work today and packing now to go to an Instructor Teaching Course tonight in the Milwaukee area.

Wow Janet, that does sound busy. Hope you have a safe trip and a great weekend.

PS I'm just loving squishing up my goop - I figure you can't over squish it. Or can you...? :)

GeorgiaPeach said:
"Let air out" is the polite way to say "BURP" it!!
my recipe says to keep a 1 inch gap open on the bag so I have done that. yesterday was day 6, I added my ingrediants, stirred it and it is sitting on my counter with the 1 inch gap in the bag, is that correct?:confused:

merego said:
my recipe says to keep a 1 inch gap open on the bag so I have done that. yesterday was day 6, I added my ingrediants, stirred it and it is sitting on my counter with the 1 inch gap in the bag, is that correct?:confused:
If you leave it like that...make sure no one dumps it over! If you close it up, you can just burp it so the bag doesn't get too full of gases.

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm a Friendship Bread Failure!:eek:

I've had starter given to me several times - and I always forget to do the steps daily.....Don't even know what it tastes like, because I've never been given the bread, just the starter. I finally end up throwing it away, after finding it in the back of the refrigerator, and wondering what it is.....

Hmmmm, maybe if someone really wanted to pass some friendship my way - they would just bake me a loaf of the bread instead!:blushing:

I'm with you!!! I've always heard of the bread, never made it or really wanted to!! LOL It sounds like a lot of steps that I know I'd forget!

Help! My starter is on Day 6, and it has not really produced much gas, certainly not enough to need "burping". It has been chilly here, and we keep our house on the cool side, so I guess that might be the problem. Do you think I should give it an extra day in case it is just being a bit "slow" (ie bake on day 11 instead of day 10)?

On another note, last night I added the extra cups of milk, sugar and flour. I had to turn around to open a new bag of flour, and when I looked back, my bag had started to "slouch" and leak over the counter and off the edge. Only instead of going on the floor, my "lasy susan" corner cabinet was open (so I could get out the flour etc) and so the start was dripping into my TOASTER!!! :yuck: :cry: That was fun to clean up. I am letting it dry out thoroughly before I use it again... Thankfully I didn't lose too much starter, so I'm going to keep going with it. It will be a minor miracle if this actually turns out... :)

AnnieBee said:
Help! My starter is on Day 6, and it has not really produced much gas, certainly not enough to need "burping". It has been chilly here, and we keep our house on the cool side, so I guess that might be the problem. Do you think I should give it an extra day in case it is just being a bit "slow" (ie bake on day 11 instead of day 10)?

On another note, last night I added the extra cups of milk, sugar and flour. I had to turn around to open a new bag of flour, and when I looked back, my bag had started to "slouch" and leak over the counter and off the edge. Only instead of going on the floor, my "lasy susan" corner cabinet was open (so I could get out the flour etc) and so the start was dripping into my TOASTER!!! :yuck: :cry: That was fun to clean up. I am letting it dry out thoroughly before I use it again... Thankfully I didn't lose too much starter, so I'm going to keep going with it. It will be a minor miracle if this actually turns out... :)

You could always add a little bit of yeast to it.

i have done this a few times and never had it turn out bad. Mine did not have much gas or anything this time around and it was still wonderful. I would go ahead and bake on day 10.

OK, so I made the Cinnamon Bread last week (with applesauce instead of vegetable oil, because I had no vegetable oil in the house and I figured it would be healthier anyway), and my family devoured it!! They loved it!!And now I am on Day 6 of the starter I kept for myself from that batch, and I am curious as to whether or not there are any basic breads that can be made from this recipe, and how good they are? I know, I could google it and find lots of recipes, I am sure, but I would rather get input from all of you to be sure I get a good recipe. TIA!

Okay what a darn cool website!! check out the homepage too. They have some fun stuff for the real die hard sourdough makers! Thank you!!

New to Amish Friendship Bread, could this be cooked in the new crown mold? The entire thing? or just 1/2 of the recipe? TIA

I don't see why not...I would use the entire recipe, not just half.

Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but do you refrigerate? I've heard yes and no. TIA

bump bump!

pamperedmomto3 said:
Ok, I'm sure this is a stupid question, but do you refrigerate? I've heard yes and no. TIA

I never have....refrigerating would kill the yeast.

pamperedmomto3 said:

I have kept my bread starter going now for about 2 years....I've never put it in the refrigerator and it is VERY forgiving. If you miss a day, 2, 3 --I've gone as long as 4 days without doing anything to it:eek: and it turns out great everytime!!! I just pick back up where I left off. Good luck with yours...we have enjoyed ours. My kids have a muffin almost every moring and I make mini muffins for DH and my youngest son's lunch everyday.

I really do apologize for being ignorant on this subject but the recipe listed here doesn't say anything about yeast. 1 c milk, 1 c flour, 1 cup sugar. Should I add yeast as well? TIA

pamperedmomto3 said:
I really do apologize for being ignorant on this subject but the recipe listed here doesn't say anything about yeast. 1 c milk, 1 c flour, 1 cup sugar. Should I add yeast as well? TIA

I've never used yeast in mine.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg