• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread Starter

In summary, Friendship Bread is a starter that is made with 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. After receiving the starter or making it on day one, it is mashed twice a day for three days. On the fifth day, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk is added and the mixture is mashed, let out air, and transferred to a larger bag if necessary. On day six and seven, the mixture is mashed twice a day and let out air twice a day. On day 8 and 9, nothing is done to the mixture. On day 10, the mixture is finished by adding 1 cup of oil, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 small box of vanilla pudding, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 1 cup of walnuts (optional), 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1 cup of flour before baking in a bundt pan or two loaf pans at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. The remaining portion of the mix is divided into three portions to be shared with friends. Do not use a metal spoon or pan when dealing with the starter.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
There are many variants to this, but here is mine:per request:Starter:
1 c. plain flour
1 c. sugar
1 c milkDay 1: Receive starter (or make own).
Day 2: Mush in bag, twice a day.
Day 3: Mush in bag, twice a day.
Day 4: Mush in bag, twice a day.
Day 5: Add 1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, 1 c. milk and mush, let air out, transfer to larger bag if you didn't start with a big one. :)
Day 6: Mush in bag, let air out TWO times a day.
Day 7: Mush in bag, let air out TWO times a day.
Day 8 & 9: Do nothing.Day 10 (Baking day): Add 1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar and 1 c. milkTake out three 1 c. portions of the mix and put into containers for 3 friends.In remaining portion, add 1 c. oil, 1 c. sugar, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 small box vanilla pudding, 2 tsp. vanilla, 1 c. walnuts (optional), 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 cup flour.Grease/flour bundt pan (fluted pan) or 2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.Optional icing: 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 c. pwd sugar, 4 tsp. hot milk.

Last edited:
MMmmmm....Janet, thank you! I LOVE Friendship bread but never knew how to make the starter. It's been probably 15 years since I've made this. I kept mine going for so long one time that my husband joked that I was going to lose all my friends but giving them so many "friendship" starters :)

I've got a fabulous coffee cake recipe for the starter with a crumbly topping , it doesn't use the pudding mix. I'll have to see if I can find it and post it as a variation.

Guess what I'm making tomorrow :D My husband is NOT going to be happy :eek:

GeorgiaPeach said:
MMmmmm....Janet, thank you! I LOVE Friendship bread but never knew how to make the starter. It's been probably 15 years since I've made this. I kept mine going for so long one time that my husband joked that I was going to lose all my friends but giving them so many "friendship" starters :)

I've got a fabulous coffee cake recipe for the starter with a crumbly topping , it doesn't use the pudding mix. I'll have to see if I can find it and post it as a variation.

Won't he be happy with the cooked results? ;)

Hee hee....my husband just walked in the room and I said, "Guess what? Someone just posted on Chef Success how to make the starter for Friendship bread!!" He groaned (yes, he actually closed his eyes and groaned!) and said, "Okay, you can make the starter as long as you promise to give it ALL away!!"

Hmm....let me think about it....NO!! :D He'll forget about it when he gets the coffee cake in 10 days!

GeorgiaPeach said:
Hee hee....my husband just walked in the room and I said, "Guess what? Someone just posted on Chef Success how to make the starter for Friendship bread!!" He groaned (yes, he actually closed his eyes and groaned!) and said, "Okay, you can make the starter as long as you promise to give it ALL away!!"

Hmm....let me think about it....NO!! :D He'll forget about it when he gets the coffee cake in 10 days!

Too funny!

:D

Don't forget...do NOT use a metal spoon or metal pan when messing with the starter!

Actually, when I add to the bag, I just mush it to mix it. But, on the last day, when you add stuff and then dish it out into new starter bags, be sure you aren't doing that in anything metal!

GeorgiaPeach said:

Please, please post this! Sounds yummy!

Thanks Janet - I actually just pitched my last starter that I had in my freezer (it had been there too long) and was wondering how to get it started again. This stuff tastes awesome! And is so easy to make.

Oh, I haven't had this in years. It is so good. We're going on spring break next week so guess I'll start this when we get back.

Thanks Janet! I'll ask DH if he wants me to make some.

I'm a Friendship Bread Failure!:eek:

I've had starter given to me several times - and I always forget to do the steps daily.....Don't even know what it tastes like, because I've never been given the bread, just the starter. I finally end up throwing it away, after finding it in the back of the refrigerator, and wondering what it is.....

Hmmmm, maybe if someone really wanted to pass some friendship my way - they would just bake me a loaf of the bread instead!:blushing:

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm a Friendship Bread Failure!:eek:

I've had starter given to me several times - and I always forget to do the steps daily.....Don't even know what it tastes like, because I've never been given the bread, just the starter. I finally end up throwing it away, after finding it in the back of the refrigerator, and wondering what it is.....

Hmmmm, maybe if someone really wanted to pass some friendship my way - they would just bake me a loaf of the bread instead!:blushing:
Hey Becky! How are ya'?
I didn't think you were supposed to put the bread mix in the frig.

Yes, do you refrigerate the starter? How big of a bag should I put it in to start so that I don't have to transfer it? How do you remember what day you are on (I can easily see myself forgetting which day it was)?

I was wondering about that - does the mix go in the fridge??

You can refrigerated the starter if your not going to use it for a while..... at least the recipe that I have lets you do that but I am not sure if all the starter recipes are like that or not.

Putting it in the fridge greatly slows down the natural action of the yeast so it is possible to store it in the fridge (in bakeries it is called the "retarder"). I store my various starters in the fridge( apple, raisin, whole wheat, and white) and haven't had a problem. Just return to the day you left off, as long as it isn't longer than 2 or three weeks.

Thanks for posting this recipe! This is one I didn't have-- and I do agree about giving out the loaves along with a bag of starter-- made in our mini loaf pans it would be fabulous!!

My mom just gave me a starter, I haven't had this bread in years. I love love love this bread. My mom said she uses apple sauce in there sometimes.

pamperedalf said:
My mom just gave me a starter, I haven't had this bread in years. I love love love this bread. My mom said she uses apple sauce in there sometimes.

Applesauce sounds yumm. It would help it to stay moist longer too... I was thinking of throwing in some frozen blackberries and orange zest...

God gosh their goes my diet!!! LOL

This is yummy! I did this about this time last year...

rebeccastt said:
Yes, do you refrigerate the starter? How big of a bag should I put it in to start so that I don't have to transfer it? How do you remember what day you are on (I can easily see myself forgetting which day it was)?
To not forget the day's: you can just write on the bag the date that you started:)

JAE said:
Hey Becky! How are ya'?
I didn't think you were supposed to put the bread mix in the frig.

I usually end up throwing it in there, because I can't remember if I've done the steps right or not - and that is supposed to keep it longer....but then I forget when I've thrown it into the refrigerator - and I don't trust it, plus, I don't remember what my next step should be.

I guess I like my quick breads to be just that - quick!
I tell people all the time that I am a COOK, not a BAKER. I love to cook - love creating meals and recipes with what I have on hand. Baking on the other hand requires much more precision, and accurate measuring and ingredients. That's not so much fun for me. I do it because I have to for my family (they love homemade baked goods), but if you notice - even my show demos revolve more around cooking than baking. I rarely do Dessert Shows, and when I do, they aren't as much fun for me.

rebeccastt said:
Put it into a gallon bag...that leaves room to add stuff, and room for the gas that it puts off to expand without it "blowing!"

Since I baked my bread yesterday, I made 3 bags of starters and wrote on the bag "Friendship Bread Starter Day One 3-31-08" so *I* won't forget what day I am on, plus...if you give away one of your starters they will know what day it's on!

No fridge, it's supposed to be on the counter. Sounds weird especially since you put milk in it but it will be okay.

OK, so maybe I am slow, but I want to get this right... From what I am reading you are supposed to keep it on the counter. Unless you want to store it for longer, in which case you can put it in the fridge. However, if you do put it in the fridge, it pauses the day number you are on until you take it out. Right?So, for example, if you put it into the fridge on Day 3 and take it out a week later, you would be on Day 4 when you take it out. Am I close?P.S. What about freezing the starters?

jbachen said:
OK, so maybe I am slow, but I want to get this right... From what I am reading you are supposed to keep it on the counter. Unless you want to store it for longer, in which case you can put it in the fridge. However, if you do put it in the fridge, it pauses the day number you are on until you take it out. Right?

So, for example, if you put it into the fridge on Day 3 and take it out a week later, you would be on Day 4 when you take it out. Am I close?

P.S. What about freezing the starters?

Yes...

I always keep it out on the counter.

The bags always spill on me...well, not me literally but ALL over my counters! I use a tupperware bowl or a covered glass bowl. Instead of mushing I stir with a bamboo spoon.

When I give out my starters I include four post cards that have the starter directions (with blank spots to write which day you start, add, and make) on the front, and the bread recipe and my PC contact info on the back.

When the person gives out their starters, they are giving out my PC information. I included that they can get a pdf copy of the recipe by emailing me, which prints four to a page, so that the recipe - and my info - are passed on again!

And I make a mix of sugar, cinnamon, and dash of cloves to dust the pans with and sprinkle on top. No, it doesn't sell "our" sprinkles, but it tastes AWESOME, especially on the pan-side crusts. Yummy!

Wow! What a really cool idea! How fun! I think I might just do this sometime this week! Thanks for the recipe and all the extra tips from everyone else!;) :thumbup: :)

KateD said:
When I give out my starters I include four post cards that have the starter directions (with blank spots to write which day you start, add, and make) on the front, and the bread recipe and my PC contact info on the back.

When the person gives out their starters, they are giving out my PC information. I included that they can get a pdf copy of the recipe by emailing me, which prints four to a page, so that the recipe - and my info - are passed on again!

Would you mind sharing this?

I'm going to try this right now. I still feel unsure of a few of the details, but I really don't have anything to lose! :D

Kate, that is really an awesome idea! I was actually thinking about getting this going and giving starters to my hosts at shows. I am just not sure how tough it would be to get timing right... Although I suppose I could just stockpile starters in the fridge or freezer...

Quick question for Janet! Day 10 - is it supposed to say add 1cup of flour, sugar and milk? Because it says flour, sugar and flour...

I almost started this today (the flour and sugar are in a bag as we speak) but I'm going to wait a couple of days so it will be ready to bake on a Sunday for my Church youth group. I really need to not bake so much just for me and my family... :)

This sounds so good, I can't wait to try it.

when it says "let air out", how long to u do that?

AnnieBee said:
Quick question for Janet! Day 10 - is it supposed to say add 1cup of flour, sugar and milk? Because it says flour, sugar and flour...

I almost started this today (the flour and sugar are in a bag as we speak) but I'm going to wait a couple of days so it will be ready to bake on a Sunday for my Church youth group. I really need to not bake so much just for me and my family... :)

This sounds so good, I can't wait to try it.

Oops! I was tired last night...yes, I will go fix it!!!!

{*mandy*} said:
when it says "let air out", how long to u do that?

"Let air out" is the polite way to say "BURP" it!!

GeorgiaPeach said:
"Let air out" is the polite way to say "BURP" it!!

Good description!

Basically as it is sitting, the bag will fill with air...you need to let the air out so your bag doesn't burst! :)

ok, that totally makes sense now.
thanks

I am so mad! :mad: I can't find my coffee cake recipe for the starter bread. I think I threw it out since I didn't know how to make the starter! I'm going to keep looking but just did a google search and found this on Wikipedia...."Amish Friendship Bread is a type of sourdough starter that is often shared in a manner similar to a chain letter."

Chain letter?? That makes it sound so....dirty :) If you've read my above posts, you'll understand why my husband just died laughing when I read this to him:rolleyes:

GeorgiaPeach said:
I am so mad! :mad: I can't find my coffee cake recipe for the starter bread. I think I threw it out since I didn't know how to make the starter! I'm going to keep looking but just did a google search and found this on Wikipedia...."Amish Friendship Bread is a type of sourdough starter that is often shared in a manner similar to a chain letter."

Chain letter?? That makes it sound so....dirty :) If you've read my above posts, you'll understand why my husband just died laughing when I read this to him:rolleyes:

Funny, yes, it is basically like a chain letter...hence why guys hate to see it around but I like it once in awhile. That's why I have the starter...I can make my own. Then if I want, I can just cook it all at the end too!

...and here is a variant that uses yeast in the starter so you can bake sooner...Ingredients:
***Starter***
1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
2 cups Warm Water -- (110 degrees)
1 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
***To Make Bread***
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Flour
3 Eggs
1 small Vanilla Pudding Mix -- Instant
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 cup Milk
***Cinnamon Sugar***
1 cup Sugar
2 tablespoons CinnamonDirections:For Starter: Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a deep glass or plastic container. Stir in remaining warm water, flour and sugar.Beat until smooth. Cover. (A large glass jar or bowl with a tight fitting lid works best for this, but a 1/2 gallon zip baggie can also be used).Because your first batch of starter contains fresh yeast, you can skip the next set of directions and go directly to the instructions for splitting your start.Do not refrigerate! Do not stir with a metal spoon! The starter requires 10 days for fermentation.Day 1- Begin or receive starter Day 2- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 3- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 4- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 5- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk Day 6- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 7- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 8- Do Nothing Day 9- Do Nothing Day 10- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milkPut 1 cup of starter in each of three containers. Give 2 away to friends and keep one. This will begin their Day 1.For Bread: You will have about 1 cup of batter left (besides the 1 cup you have saved for yourself). To the remaining batter add vegetable oil, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, milk, vanilla pudding mix, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until well blended. Add one cup raisins, chocolate chips or nuts, if desired.Grease 2 loaf pans well, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, coating bottom well. Turn batter into pans, and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar onto tops of loaves. Bake at 325F degrees for one hour.This recipe for Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Bread serves/makes 5 cups

Here are the postcards I use, as a Word file. I have preprinted postcard stock that I use, so there are large margins on the front. Since it's a word file, it will probably be a bit wonky for my headline font!

My recipe is a tiny bit different from Janet's, and I had to infuse a little of my personality in the recipe! :)

I hope this works - my first file post!!

Attachments

• Amish Friendship Bread-Pg1.doc
    25 KB · Views: 367
  • Amish Friendship Bread-Pg2.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 460
I got starter bread on Friday and forgot about it until today. I was supposed to add the 1c flour, 1c sugar, & 1c milk on Friday, but obviously didn't, so I did so today, except I had no milk, so I used evaporated milk. I then went to "mush" it and someone opened the bag :grumpy: (I know for a fact that I zipped it up) & I spilled it all over the counter. :yuck: I guess that in 4 days I will just bake it & hope that it works...:cry: If not, I'll just start over I guess!! Thank God for Janet!! :sing:

When I called my Saturday host on Friday, she told me that she had some starters and asked me if I wanted one, so of course I took her up on it. I am so excited! It has been a number of years since I have had one.

Maybe I am just lazy, but I am curious as to whether or not you can bake this in a bread machine? My guess would be not, but I am still curious... Anyone ever tried it?

jbachen said:
Maybe I am just lazy, but I am curious as to whether or not you can bake this in a bread machine? My guess would be not, but I am still curious... Anyone ever tried it?

Not sure because it comes out more cakey than bread. But hey you could try. And let us know.

Last edited:
I had never heard of this and my neighbor gave it to me on Saturday, It does not go in the fridge which made me nervous since it has milk and it does have a funny look to it in the bag, but she brought me over a piece she made from her bag and it is DELICIOUS!!!!! :)

jbachen said:

I would think not because most bread machines are metal inside and you shouldn't bake it in metal.

Also...Janet I have the starter version that uses the yeast with the cup of sugar, flour and milk and I still do the ten day version. Comes out awesome. If I haven't had family over for a while and want to convince them to show up that's how I get them here.

KateD, which starter recipe do you use?

<h2>1. How do I make the Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread starter?</h2><p>To make the starter, you will need 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Combine these ingredients in a large plastic bag or container and mix well.</p><h2>2. How often do I need to "mush" the starter?</h2><p>During the first 4 days, you will need to "mush" the starter twice a day. After adding more ingredients on day 5, you will only need to "mush" it once a day for the remaining days.</p><h2>3. What do I need to add on day 5?</h2><p>On day 5, you will need to add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk to the starter. You will also need to "mush" the starter and transfer it to a larger bag or container if necessary.</p><h2>4. Can I add nuts or other ingredients to the bread?</h2><p>Yes, you can add 1 cup of chopped walnuts or other ingredients like raisins or chocolate chips to the bread mixture on baking day. Just make sure to adjust the other ingredients accordingly.</p><h2>5. How long does the Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread take to bake?</h2><p>The bread should bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a fluted pan or two loaf pans for baking. You can also make a simple icing with vanilla, powdered sugar, and hot milk to drizzle over the bread after it has cooled.</p>

1. How do I make the Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread starter?

To make the starter, you will need 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Combine these ingredients in a large plastic bag or container and mix well.

2. How often do I need to "mush" the starter?

During the first 4 days, you will need to "mush" the starter twice a day. After adding more ingredients on day 5, you will only need to "mush" it once a day for the remaining days.

3. What do I need to add on day 5?

On day 5, you will need to add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk to the starter. You will also need to "mush" the starter and transfer it to a larger bag or container if necessary.

4. Can I add nuts or other ingredients to the bread?

Yes, you can add 1 cup of chopped walnuts or other ingredients like raisins or chocolate chips to the bread mixture on baking day. Just make sure to adjust the other ingredients accordingly.

5. How long does the Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread take to bake?

The bread should bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a fluted pan or two loaf pans for baking. You can also make a simple icing with vanilla, powdered sugar, and hot milk to drizzle over the bread after it has cooled.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies