• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice on Ditching a Host...(Kind of Long)

In summary, the speaker is frustrated with a potential host who continuously reschedules and cancels a show, and has not done anything for a catalog show in the past two months. They are looking for advice on how to politely tell the host that they no longer want to work with them, while still keeping the door open for future business. Others suggest waiting for the host to call and ending the conversation politely, or setting a minimum order amount for the show. Some also mention the possibility of the host surprising the speaker with a successful show.
mpkegley
I have a "potential" host who booked a show from her sister's back in March. She scheduled for April, rescheduled for May, rescheduled for June, rescheduled for July and then finally in July decided to just do a catalog show. Every month it is something, "My daughter moved in with me," "I just moved," " house isn't ready". Pretty legit reasons, but waits until the day before the show and when I call her, she cancels. So she has "supposedly" been doing this catalog show for the last 2 months. Everytime I call her, "I haven't gotten around to it, I have been sick" or something else. I have sent her catalogs on multiple times along with order forms, host/guest special flyers every month, etc. (She lives more than an hour away.) I have spent enough time on this lady already for her not to respect me or my time. I told her 2 weeks ago that I would call her in 2 weeks and that is tomorrow. I want a tactful way to tell her "See Ya," because I know from the past 6 months that she is going to give me another excuse as to why she has not done anything for her catalog show. I don't want to be rude, because her family and friends have been great hosts/customers and don't want to step on anyone's toes. I just think that she is not a motivated person and she is never going to do anything. Sorry this is so long, but I could use some advice. Thanks. Hey, maybe she will surprise me and has lots of orders waiting for me.

I know this goes against what we know about good host coaching and follow up but maybe you could tell her when she has enough orders for a qualified show to give you a call. You really want to help her earn host special, etc. and she just needs $150 in outside orders - that way it allows her to work on her own schedule.

Or maybe just point her to your website to allow her to remain a good customer -s he can still get product but totally on her schedule. Maybe incentive for accumulated online individual orders instead?

That way you have left the door open but not disappointed when you do followup that she hasn't done her piece. And you haven't burned a bridge. You don't look like a heel to her friends and family and have really made an attempt at a win-win situation.

How about just waiting for her to call you.... obviously it's not a priority to her, so why waste your time any longer

I think you should call her tomorrow since you said you would. If she still gives you the too busy because (insert excuse here) say "I totally understand. You sound like you have a lot on your plate right now. You have my contact information, why don't you give me a call when things calm down for you and you are ready." I'm willing to bet that she will be just as relieved as you will be.

sfdavis918 said:
I think you should call her tomorrow since you said you would. If she still gives you the too busy because (insert excuse here) say "I totally understand. You sound like you have a lot on your plate right now. You have my contact information, why don't you give me a call when things calm down for you and you are ready." I'm willing to bet that she will be just as relieved as you will be.
That's exactly what I would say.

BethCooks4U said:
That's exactly what I would say.

Me too! I love it when someone says what I would have....saves me having to type it all out :D

That is what I would say too....... I am not sure if their is a tactful way of saying see ya... however you can also choose not to do business with her again......if she wants to book a show at a later date...... or what have you.. I have heard of people firing their customers before.... becasue of rudeness... to bad we cant' do what beauticians and doctors do if you don't call within in 24 hrs of your apt or show ect..... to charge them... but that would be kind of hard for us.... and might give direct sales a bad name....LOL

She could always surprise you also. I had a catalog show abd the host would tell me she was working on orders then she never answered her phone. This was in Nov then in Feb out of the blue she calls me and told me she wanted to give me some orders so you never know

I agree with what others have said, let her off the hook gently. And if she ever wants to do a kitchen show with you in the future, I would ask her to get you a guest list BEFORE you even talk dates. Then you can control your own calendar and send out the invites, so if she is cancelling at the last minute she'll be explaining that to all of her friends and family and not just to you.

I was curious to see if you had updated yet on your phone call to this lady tonight. What happened?

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what happens when I call her tonight. I am really hoping that she surprises me, but we will see. I also tried to motivate her by telling her last month that her niece went online and placed an order for her show, thinking that would give her a push to get more orders, but it didn't. Her niece is a friend of mine, so I have to keep letting her know what is going on every time I talk to her aunt. Luckily, she doesn't mind about how long it has taken. Anyway, I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

I agree with everyone else- just let her go easily. However, I would remind her tonight that September is the last month in which her show can benefit her sister (as the past host) and see if that motivates her. If the sister wants cookware for 60% off, you might let her know as well and maybe she would help you give this girl a push!

I agree with everyone else! I had something kinda like this from a woman I met in May at my fair booth. well I called her she said she wanted to have a show. call me at this time so I did, same answer not now call then. so finally after 3 months of calling in a couple of weeks i told her that whenever she was available to that I wasn't harrassing her and she knew when she would be available. she emailed me a couple of weeks ago and said she was ready, still don't have a date set but hopefully soon!

susan g said:
I agree with everyone else- just let her go easily. However, I would remind her tonight that September is the last month in which her show can benefit her sister (as the past host) and see if that motivates her. If the sister wants cookware for 60% off, you might let her know as well and maybe she would help you give this girl a push!

I already tried that, I told her that 2 weeks ago. I let her know that we would have to close this show out this month so that her sister would get the cookware at 60% off too and she said "well, okay. I will try." We will see if that motivated her into getting her show together.

Inconsiderate hostsWe all have dealt with them one way or another. So sorry you had to deal with someone like this. Some people just don't understand that this is our business and wasting our time is not nice!!

"Well sorry you couldn't get a catalog or cooking show together. I wish it would have worked out for you. I understand that life sometimes just doesn't allow us to do the things we would like. Well when you are ready to get some orders together or to have your own show call or email me and I'll see if we can schedule something. Thank you."

And since she is prone to cancel the day before, you know you don't want business with her so politely tell her you are booked for whatever month she may want. If she wants to do a catalog show, encourage her to collect orders online. Tell her you don't have extra catalogs to send her. She'll get the hint or she'll leave you alone. If she is serious she will get some orders and payments for you and you will be able to tell she is serious. If she persistently pursues you. But I doubt it. Some people just don't get motivated, no matter what!!! :eek:

Debbie :D

Okay, just talked to the host. She said that she has not gotten around to getting orders, but she really wants the cookware. So, I explained again that she only needs $120 more in orders to get the cookware 60% off and her sister can order that host special too. So, long story short, she is going to see several people at a birthday party on Sun, so she will take the catalogs and get some orders then and hopefully she would be able to close the show. I told her I would call her on Monday (this is the last call I am going to make - I have decided) and we would see how she did. I hope she at least gets enough for a show, she was worrying about how much she had to get to be considered a show. We will see. Thanks for everyone's advice and I will see what she does this weekend and if she does nothing again, then I am done with this lady - she can call me from then on.

Don't forget that the sister's past-host order of the cookware will count toward the guest sales, too.

chefann said:
Don't forget that the sister's past-host order of the cookware will count toward the guest sales, too.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Depending on what cookware she wants that could be a show in itself! No commission of course but the show would be done and both the past and current host would be happy.

chefann said:

Yeah, I did tell her that. I actually kind of threw that at her to convince her to go ahead and get it together for her sister's sake. If I was her sister, I would want her to hurry up so that I could get cookware at 60% off. She had ordered cookware at her own show, so I know that she would love that deal.

She Called Me!!!I could not believe it! She called me before I got around to calling her. She had some questions because she had around $200 in orders and she was going over to her sisters house and wanted to ask about the cookware before she went! I am still in shock this morning. We are going to talk this evening and she is going to try to close this show out this weekend. Thanks everyone for your advice, I am glad that I didn't have to feel like I was being rude or anything and tell her to call me when she had her show ready.

That's great! Woo-hoo!

That sounds wonderful! I personally tell them after the 3rd cancellation that "Pampered Chef recommends you do a catalog show" They usually say okay and I never hear from them again. You have great patience! Way to Go!

Well, got my hopes up for nothing! When I called this lady to close out her show, she said "Well, I have a problem. My air conditioning went out and I have to get that fixed and I can't do this right now." So, since she told me that had like $200 in orders, I said "Well, don't you have some orders that you can turn in?" She said she will just wait and she will give me a call when she is ready. (So, silently in my head, I said "See ya.") I did tell her "that's fine, just give me a call." If I never hear from her again it will be too soon. I spent over 5 months and several host packets and etc on this lady. Maybe, she will at least call me by the end of October so she can still get the cookware (7 piece SS) that she wants. I was really looking forward to those POR points!! Oh well.

My radar is going up on this lady. I would email HO with what happened and that she said she had $200 in orders. What I don't want to happen is for her guests to call HO and say you ran away with the money when the host may be thinking of doing that right now. CYA!

cmdtrgd said:
My radar is going up on this lady. I would email HO with what happened and that she said she had $200 in orders. What I don't want to happen is for her guests to call HO and say you ran away with the money when the host may be thinking of doing that right now. CYA!

I had not thought of that! I will email them and let them know about that. Thanks!

[QUOTE=mpkegley My air conditioning went out and I have to get that fixed and I can't do this right now."

Just curious - how long into the year do you need to run your a/c down there? Even though it's 80 degrees here today in Illinois - we haven't had our air on at all - personally I would bag getting my air fixed at this point in the year (if that were me!)

1. How do I politely decline a host's party invitation?

It's important to be honest and direct with the host. You can thank them for the invitation and let them know that you appreciate the offer, but you are unable to attend at this time. Remember to be grateful for their invitation and express your regrets for not being able to join.

2. What if the host insists on me attending their party?

If the host continues to push for your attendance, kindly remind them that you have other obligations or prior commitments that prevent you from attending. You can also offer to support them in other ways, such as sharing their party information with your friends or placing an order through their party link.

3. Is it okay to decline a host's party more than once?

Absolutely. You are not obligated to attend every party you are invited to. If you have already declined the host's invitation once, it is perfectly acceptable to do so again if you are unable to attend. Just remember to be respectful and gracious in your response.

4. How can I politely explain why I am not interested in attending the party?

You can simply state that you are not interested in the products being offered at the party. You do not have to give a detailed explanation or make excuses. It's important to be honest and respectful in your response.

5. Could declining a host's party invitation affect our relationship?

It shouldn't. As long as you decline the invitation politely and respectfully, there should be no negative impact on your relationship with the host. Remember to thank them for the invitation and offer your support in other ways, such as sharing their party information with others or placing an order through their party link.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• alabama pc cons.
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
alabama pc cons.
  • AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • byrd1956