• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

21 Hours to Go and Losing It!!!!

In summary, Janet's first cooking show was a success. She had 4 bookings, and the final person was only able to book 1 because the previous consultant she was working with had booked another show. She is excited to start her new career as a professional cook.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Well, my first cooking show is 21 hours away...I was at home getting things ready in my tote...had some frozen chicken the I put under running water to thaw (since the chicken recall - wanted to be safe)...and then my mom called...well, by the time that was over I ran downstairs to get clothes ready for tomorrow and heard water rushing in my basement... :eek: ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, why mom had called - ditzy me forgot to turn off the water and it was running over the sink onto my floor and down to the basement. (Oh, and under the entire sink in the cabinet). I am normally not blonde (only when I was little, but it's been a week). If you are not laughing by now you should be - my poor hubby just spent 15 minutes helping me clean up a flood! God may have promised to never send a flood again, but don't count me out!

The good news is I'm rushing around getting ready for my first cooking show tomorrow night because my host has 5 outside orders already 2 people stopping tomorrow to hopefully place orders with her. 10 people coming for sure and more maybes...not too many strictly "nos" from the 40 people she invited. YEAH! I hope they are nice orders!

Whew...back to clean up a mess...hope the night gets back to a good note again...

Janet......

BREATHE!!!!!! You will do fine!! Sounds like your show is already off to a promising start!! Congrats!! :D

Thanks - and I was breathing, I think... Either that or I'm doing lemaze in case Nikki hasn't had that baby yet! LOL! Back upstairs to finish up...now that the tide has gone back... ...checking in later...

It's going to be o.k. and you will do great!!!

Ah...relaxing now...got all my folders ready (had to increase the number I was planning on taking)...at least I can use up all these Fall/Winter Catalogs and send some home with them to "dream" about all the PC products they want.

All my stuff is packed...door prizes ready...host gift ready...host packets for upcoming shows just in case I can book one for next week...it'd be rushing it but this one got thrown together in 1 1/2 weeks! :)

Only thing left to do is make the grocery list so I don't forget anything tomorrow when I pick up the food before the show. (Around here we do the shopping then make the hosts reimburse us unless there are 15 guests)...that way you get the right ingredients! No surprises! :)

Sorry to hear about your flood. I'm sure your show will go great tomorrow. Have fun!

Donna

I am waiting to see how your show went? Sorry about the flood!

Just relax!! You will be just fine! Just have fun and think about the $ you will be making lol:)

Good luck! I"m sure you'll do great:) (just don't turn on the water at your host's house, LOL!) Just kidding, had to make you smile! Have a great show & let us know how it goes!

I'm confident you'll do a great job! Let us know how you felt about it.

You will do great! You've got a plan, and have things packed. Usually I'm rushing around at the last minute, but that's just my personality......
Can't wait to hear how it goes!

update??let us know how it went. i can tell you are well prepared.

You will do great.... just relax and breath...... sorry about the flood!!

Well, Janet...
We're waiting to hear how it went....

Are you back yet Janet? How did it go????

Just got back - typing now...

Well, somehow between 1:30 p.m. when I talked to the host and 5:30 p.m. when I arrived the 12 yesses turned into only 4 that stayed (other than host). Orders are at 11 for only $260 total, but more should be coming. Of 5 people in the room, I have 3 bookings. (Two people were mom and daughter and will share a show). I would have had the final person booked, but she just booked an April show with a new consultant she met at church before she knew I started PC and doesn't want to cancel on her because she is counting on it being new. However, she will attend the show booked for March she said and book of that one for me and come to me. She felt bad and was apologetic, but she didn't know I was starting PC...I was so encouraged that she wanted to "be loyal" to me! :)

One other booking actually wants to do 2 shows this year. One is booked and the 2nd she will book off her own show.

Sales were less than I hoped, but bookings were awesome and that's what truly will matter in the long run.

Everyone had fun and I OBVIOUSLY sold the benefit of hosting WAY too much! :)

Not bad for my first show...realized the Aloha pizza tastes just as good if not better if you put the BBQ sauce on after it cooks rather than some before - LOL! Pampered not perfect! That's what I get for making a trifle too...

...but they were all friends and the food was downed fast.

The attendance was disappointing due to weather, I got stuck on the way in trying to get up the driveway and had to get pulled out, park the van then have my friends' husband drive me and my stuff up the hill. (He ended doing that for everyone because all would have gotten stuck!)

Way to go!!! All those bookings are awesome! Keep up the great work.:D

bummer about the sales total, but you ROCKED getting bookings! Fantastic!
I'm very happy for you. Without bookings, we'd be out of business! Sorry to hear of the bad weather though. 'tis winter in WI...you never know what'll happen!
good recipe tip, too...thanks for that! lol!!

Oh, and Chris, my husband told me to "break a leg" before the show and I told him I can't cook on crutches, you're supposed to "break an egg" - he thought that was funny - so thanks for that one!

...hope your area stays good - we're supposed to get hit VERY heavy tomorrow - they are actually closing a few schools already tonight! I hope it isn't too bad. A lady that used to work for me (until I changed positions) died of a heart attack yesterday (thankfully not at work - I just got done teaching 1st Aid/CPR to the supervisors and would NOT want to have to debrief after that) and I want to be able to get to her funeral.

pcchris said:
bummer about the sales total, but you ROCKED getting bookings! Fantastic!
I'm very happy for you. Without bookings, we'd be out of business! Sorry to hear of the bad weather though. 'tis winter in WI...you never know what'll happen!
good recipe tip, too...thanks for that! lol!!

My host is still making calls tomorrow to all those yesses turned nos to try and get orders so I'm not TOTALLY bummed yet. Trying to stay on the "high" from all the bookings. ...and I know the people well enough to know they won't cancel on me. :D

BTW, thanks guys for the support...it was so great to get home and log on my PC and see that you guys were wondering if I was back yet - you guys are AWESOME! :)

Thanks!

Congrats on a great 1st show! Trust me bookings are what mattered, I had a great 1st show as far as sales go, but only 1 booking, and it took me quite a while to get up to where I wanted to be... so YAY Janet! and it sounds like that host is a keeper... ahh to have a host actually call the people who didn't come... :)

Way to go Janet! Thanks for filling us in on how it went!
Aren't you relieved that your "first" show is behind you?!?!?!

Your going to have a successful business. I can tell already!! Congrats! :D

Awesome job on the bookings! I always feel even if the sales aren't high, as long as I get 1-2 bookings I'm happy:)

janetupnorth said:
My host is still making calls tomorrow to all those yesses turned nos to try and get orders so I'm not TOTALLY bummed yet. Trying to stay on the "high" from all the bookings. ...and I know the people well enough to know they won't cancel on me. :D

With that many people who couldn't make it at the last minute (due to weather, correct?) I am sure your show total will go way up! If they were intending on coming, they probably already had something in mind that they wanted to purchase.:) I always tell my hosts that outside orders can double their show total - and they often do!
My show from Tues...supposed to have 9-11, but had 3(and only 2 of those made a purchase!). Most cancelled AFTER I was already at the hosts setting up! She really wanted the pots & pans at 1/2 price, so as they called to cancel, she asked them if they wanted to place an order - she closed that night at almost $400, with her 1/2 price pans! (and she signed!)
So don't count out that $500 show yet Janet - this could still be it!

ChefBeckyD said:
With that many people who couldn't make it at the last minute (due to weather, correct?) I am sure your show total will go way up! If they were intending on coming, they probably already had something in mind that they wanted to purchase.:) I always tell my hosts that outside orders can double their show total - and they often do!
My show from Tues...supposed to have 9-11, but had 3(and only 2 of those made a purchase!). Most cancelled AFTER I was already at the hosts setting up! She really wanted the pots & pans at 1/2 price, so as they called to cancel, she asked them if they wanted to place an order - she closed that night at almost $400, with her 1/2 price pans! (and she signed!)
So don't count out that $500 show yet Janet - this could still be it!

Thanks - the absence was due to a mixture of weather coming and flu hitting everyone (or is that peanut butter and chicken)! :) I am still hoping I can pull a $500 show together by Sunday, at least a $400 maybe. I'm going to hit some leads up here at work that didn't order on my catalog show and see if they want their "last chance at 20% off the stoneware".

I also wanted to throw in here, that $260 is still not bad! I have know many who could barely get it to a qualifying show on their first time at it! Many have stayed with it and been a success at the business! You said that you promoted show booking WAY too much, no you didn't! Sounds like you did a perfect job at it! And keep it up! You'll really start to reep rewards from that as you go along. A lot is never too much when you are booking and recruiting!!!! I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm showing you an example by what I'm about to say....... I had a show on Tuesday and there were about 18 people there, 3 did not order and 4 are going to place an order by Friday (and I'm pretty confident with them because my cousin was the host and she use to be a consultant, so she knows how to get those orders!) anyway, the show is at $800 and of the 11 that ordered 6 scheduled shows and 1 that did not order scheduled a show and 1 more maybe! I worked booking like crazy that night and it paid off! And so you see that I"m not tooting my own horn, I did TERRIBLE on recruiting that night, don't think I mentioned it more than once! :eek: and NO ONE talked to me about it and I couldn't get anyone interested while taking their orders either!, I'm just going to have to work that angle at all those other shows!
I think you are going to do awesome at this business and just wait until the spring is going and people don't cancel cause of weather! By the way, overbook the summer!!!! Because that will be the next weather cancelled show to deal with, yes, they do cancel for weather that is "just too good!" People love the sunshine and love being with their family out in it! Just a little heads up!;)
So, again, great job and congrats!:D

Last edited:
Congratulations! I know the sales weren't what you'd hoped, but it was still a legit show. And, all those bookings--great!

...picked up an order today to bring the show up to $317! :)

Janet, you did great! It's the bookings that will keep your business going, so you are off to a great start!

Great job!! That is awesome on the bookings! :)

Related to 21 Hours to Go and Losing It!!!!

1. What should I do if I have frozen chicken for my cooking show, but want to be safe due to the recent chicken recall?

The best option would be to thaw the chicken using running water, as you did. This method is safe and effective for thawing frozen chicken. Just be sure to properly clean the sink and surrounding area after, to avoid any cross-contamination.

2. What should I do if I have a water emergency like you did during my cooking show preparations?

The most important thing is to stay calm and assess the situation. If possible, turn off the water source immediately to prevent any further flooding. Then, focus on cleaning up the mess and addressing any necessary repairs.

3. How many guests should I expect at my first cooking show?

It sounds like you have a great turnout for your first show! It's always a good idea to prepare for a few extra guests, just in case. Make sure you have enough product and materials for at least 10-15 people.

4. How many outside orders should I anticipate for my cooking show?

It varies for each show, but it's great that your host already has 5 outside orders! That's a good sign that the show will be successful. Be prepared for a few more orders to come in during the show as well.

5. How can I ensure that my first cooking show goes smoothly?

Make sure you have everything organized and prepared beforehand. Double check your materials and make sure you have enough product for potential orders. Stay calm and confident, and have fun with your guests! They will appreciate your enthusiasm and passion for Pampered Chef products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jean DeVries
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • pampchefrhondab