• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Pancakes Come Out Too Crispy in the Bar Pan

In summary, the author tried making pancakes in a bar pan and found that they came out too crispy. She suggests doubling the recipe and using parchment paper to help them rise evenly. She also recommends cooking the bacon at a lower temperature and using a quart size freezer bag to make the ziploc omelets.
mapiklfish
Silver Member
I have read some of the other threads about making pancakes in the bar pan. I tried it twice and they came out too crispy. I'm wondering what I did wrong. Some of the posts say they come out fluffy and better than in the pan but mine don't.:( Am I cooking them too long? Wrong temp? I think I saw 350 for the oven temp for about 20 min? Any suggestions? Would it help to cover the pan with foil? I do also have the day in the life of a bar pan that was posted.

Use more pancake batter to make a thicker pancake.

Try raising them to a higher rack in the oven. If you move them away from the oven element and make them a little thicker, then that should cut down on the crispiness.

Double it & Parchment PaperI always double a Bisquick batch for the large bar pan.

My AD suggested at our last meeting to use parchment paper. Helps things to rise more evenly (think brownies) and they come out of the pan much easier.

Haven't tried it yet, but totally makes sense. For me, even with the double batch, the "ends" still come out thin and crispy. It's only the middle part that I like.

HTH!

nikked said:
For me, even with the double batch, the "ends" still come out thin and crispy. It's only the middle part that I like.

HTH!

I don't feel quite as bad now knowing I'm not the only one. I'll have to keep practicing. I don't have any parchement paper or bisquick. I have a box of pancake mix and a buttermilk pancake recipe I usually use. I may be leaving them in too long also. I really do like the idea of a walkaway breakfast, especially in the winter. The oven would help warm up the house in the morning. I could see bacon/sausages on one stone and pancakes on another.

I have tried this once. I used to much batter and mine were very thick but they tasted good. My family inhaled them. I plan to try again with less batter.

Thanks for the parchment paper tip. I think that would work great.

mapiklfish said:
I don't feel quite as bad now knowing I'm not the only one. I'll have to keep practicing. I don't have any parchement paper or bisquick. I have a box of pancake mix and a buttermilk pancake recipe I usually use. I may be leaving them in too long also. I really do like the idea of a walkaway breakfast, especially in the winter. The oven would help warm up the house in the morning. I could see bacon/sausages on one stone and pancakes on another.

Although I swear by TPC's Parchment Paper, you can use any paper you can find in a store. BTW, did you know that you can order the Parchment Paper on our Supply Orders at a fraction of the cost? Item ER50, $3.75.

PANCAKES: I would try doubling a batch of whatever pancake mix you happen to have on hand. They all work basically the same way!

BACON: I actually own two bar pans just for this reason! Although the bacon does need to cook longer than the pancakes at the lower pancake temperature. What I do is put the bacon on the bottom rack on one side, the pancakes on the upper rack on the other side to allow for even heat distribution in the oven. Now, with the Ziploc Omelets on the stovetop, I can start our entire Sunday breakfast, go take a shower (or whatever) and bfast is done just like that!

ZIPLOCK OMELETS: BTW, I learned at my last cluster meeting (where we actually did the omelets) that you can put the bags in the water while it's COLD, then turn it on. It takes about twice as long, but if your doing the above pancakes and bacon, makes everything come out at about the same time.

Happy cooking!

Do you have a recipe for the ziploc omelets? Also are the oven temps 400 for bacon and 350 for pancakes? so, if you do both, you would bake them at 350?

Ziploc Omelets
mapiklfish said:
Do you have a recipe for the ziploc omelets? Also are the oven temps 400 for bacon and 350 for pancakes? so, if you do both, you would bake them at 350?

As far as bacon and pancakes go, yes, cook at 350. I put the lower rack (for the bacon) as far down as possible so it's right next the heat.

The Ziploc omelets are AWESOME. Really easy, and very hands on for a demo.

You must use QUART SIZE ZIPLOC FREEZER bags. Do not try to skimp and go cheaper.

Have each guest write their name on the bag with a Sharpie. Then, have them crack two eggs into the bag. Have someone who wants egg whites? Use the egg separator!

Instruct guests to close their bags (air is not an issue at this point), and either shake or squish (we squished and this worked well).

Then, have guests put in desired toppings, like: chopped bacon or ham, or crumbled sausage; cheese; green onion; mushrooms (fresh or sauteed); fresh tomatoes; fresh basil; fresh spinach (when it's okay again :eek: ); etc. Don't forget to think OUTSIDE the proverbial box!

Then, bags must be resealed, removing all air. You can kind of "roll" them from the bottom up to do this. Then, at the same time (or as close as possible), place all omelets into rolling boiling water. If you have a large show, the Roasting Pan over two burners works well for this.

Cook for 13 minutes (use timer, of course :D ). Or, if you're doing these at home, you can put them in cold water and bring to a boil together. They just take longer that way.

When they are done, they truly just SLIDE right out of the bag, and look like beautiful, perfect omelets. This was the part that amazed me the most!

I think that's everything. Anyone who has done these have any tips, suggestions, or additional information I forgot?

HTH!

I have a tip dont put more then 2 eggs in the pakage! It makes for a huge omlet and seems to take forever to cook.

I have a tip dont put more then 2 eggs in the pakage! It makes for a huge omlet and seems to take forever to cook.

Thanks for the help. I'll have to try the omelets, and i'll keep trying the pancakes.

OMG! That omelet "trick" would be so much fun at a brunch show or for cooking with kids. I'm tryin' it this weekend!!

I didn't try the omelets yet but I tried the pancakes again this morning. Rather than waste a double batch (someone suggested trying a double batch) I made a regular batch and put it in the small bar pan. I put them in at 350 for about 17 minutes. I tried 12 first, checked them and gave them another 5. They didn't "look" quite done (not brown) but I took them out anyway, cut them and they were done. They were really fluffy AND my son even liked them. I said I was experimenting with the pancakes, and he says, I can tell. He's 18. So, I would say they came out pretty good. I think they could have gone just a little bit longer. It seems when I let them get brown, they're overdone. So I'm wondering how you can tell they're done. Does the same method as a cake work, like a cake tester or toothpick? I wasn't sure until I cut them (with the pizza cutter of course) I think a double batch of pancake batter would probably be best for the regular bar pan, although I did have some left over from my mini one. I'm going to have to invest in another bar pan. :D For now, though, I can cook the bacon at night on the stone, then put it in a plastic container or bag and keep it in the fridge. Then all you have to do is heat it up for a minute or so in the microwave. I've done that before and it's like buying that precooked bacon in the store.

I'm really glad I came to the boards and asked about the pancakes. They really are good when they aren't overcooked. :eek:

I made a grilled cheese sandwich on the small bar pan today and it came out pretty good. I baked it at 425 for about 15 min. I'm wondering if 400 for a little longer would have been better. I just made the Tex Mex Chicken Melts the other night also and they turned out really good. I had some of the bread left over and some of the chicken mix. The chicken mix is just as good cold as little sandwhiches on the french breads as it is hot. I also took some of the little breads and made little pizzas out of them. A little pizza sauce, a pepperoni, cheese and onion. Baked them on the stone with the grilled cheese sandwich and they turned out great. You could probably make up the little pizzas and flash freeze them too.

1. Why do my pancakes come out too crispy in the bar pan?

There could be a few reasons why your pancakes are coming out too crispy in the bar pan. One possibility is that the pan is too hot, causing the pancakes to cook too quickly and become overdone. Another reason could be that the batter is too thin, which can result in crispy pancakes. Lastly, if you are using a non-stick pan, make sure to use a low to medium heat setting to prevent the pancakes from browning too quickly.

2. How can I prevent my pancakes from coming out too crispy in the bar pan?

To prevent your pancakes from coming out too crispy in the bar pan, make sure to heat the pan to the correct temperature before adding the batter. You can test the heat by sprinkling a few drops of water on the pan - if the drops sizzle and evaporate, the pan is ready. Additionally, make sure to use a thicker batter and adjust the heat setting accordingly to prevent overcooking.

3. Can I use the bar pan to make fluffy pancakes?

Yes, you can definitely use the bar pan to make fluffy pancakes. Just make sure to follow the tips mentioned above and adjust the heat setting accordingly. You can also try adding a little bit of baking powder to your pancake batter to make them even fluffier.

4. Should I use oil or butter in the bar pan when making pancakes?

It is recommended to use a small amount of oil or butter in the bar pan when making pancakes to prevent them from sticking. However, make sure to use a non-stick pan or spray the pan with cooking spray to avoid using too much oil or butter, which can result in crispy pancakes.

5. Can I use the bar pan to make other breakfast foods besides pancakes?

Yes, the bar pan can be used to make a variety of breakfast foods such as eggs, bacon, and even French toast. Just make sure to adjust the heat setting and use a non-stick pan or cooking spray to prevent the food from sticking. You can also try using parchment paper in the pan for easier clean-up.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kewaters
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • Renee Anderson
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
nikked
  • aubriakindle