• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Your Forged Cutlery Knives Showing Nicks? | Expert Insight

S
sl_ostertag
Has anyone noticed little nicks in your Forged Cutlery? A customer of mine brought it to my attention that he noticed little nick's in his knife blade (Chef Knife) and then I looked at mine and found the same nick's in my Utility knife! Any of you noticed the same??

Two things:

are they going into the dishwasher, or into a sink of dishes to clang up against something?

are you regularly honing them?

No dishwasher cleaning and yes honing them. I didn't notice any of the similar nick's on my other knives.

Hmmm, not sure what to tell you! I just looked VERY closely at my chef's knife and Santoku knife...there are tiny nicks in them...perhaps that just happens with use? I know mine are probably close to needing to be professionally sharpened.

That's what I am thinking too! My friend that is VERY careful with his knives (including PC and other quality ones) says the same. He thinks it is just the wear and tear of it. He explained that when we honed them we are exposing the softest part of the blades and that it is very likely that there could be little nick's in them.

The nicks mean it's time to sharpen them. If you use them often, sharpening will need to be done more often (but usually just once per year). Honing keeps the edge from folding over, sharpening evens out the nicks that occur during normal use. HTH!

I have had the same trouble with my forged cutlery. Mine also gets small rust looking spots on the blade. I think I figured out the reason for the rust spots - putting the clean knife into the case it there is any water on it. Baking soda works wonders on that. Bonita

Makes sense! Thanks!!!

I don't know. The first time I honed my Chef's knife it ripped up the blade. I had huge chunks missing. It look so bad I cannot take it to show. I had only used it once or twice before I honed it the first time.

For those of you needing sharpening I just learned that Byerly's and Lunds here in the twin cities offer free sharpening. 2 at a time and you leave them 24 or 48 hours or something then come pick them up. If you are in need of sharpening I would suggest checking out your local high-end grocery store - maybe they offer the same?

Yep, nicks mean it's time to sharpen. I had the same problem with the honer. I think I'm going to send it back. It has destroyed every knife I've put through it.

janezapchef said:
Yep, nicks mean it's time to sharpen. I had the same problem with the honer. I think I'm going to send it back. It has destroyed every knife I've put through it.

Don't put too much pressure on the knife as you hone it. It should make a faint 'ringing' sound as you run it through the honer and you really shouldn't use any more pressure than what the weigh of the blade exerts.

Light touch people, use a light touch!

janezapchef said:

the Honing Tool is only for PC knives. Have you been using other knives in it?

DebinIA said:
Don't put too much pressure on the knife as you hone it. It should make a faint 'ringing' sound as you run it through the honer and you really shouldn't use any more pressure than what the weigh of the blade exerts.

Light touch people, use a light touch!

Thank you...I never heard this before, but it makes sense!

Yes, thanks for the honing tip. No, I have never used any other knives in my honer.

I have the same problem with my knives. My chefs and uitility have gashes out of them. Mu knives are only 5 months old, so they shouldn't need to be sharpened yet. I hone them and I do it gently. So for me, I am unsure why I have these gashes. But I also don't feel like spending the money to send the knife back.

Thanks for the tip on the "ringing sound" you should hear when you hone, and, no, I've never put any knives other than PC in it. I've only put about 2 knives through at all because of the gashes taken out. I'll try another one today and see what happens.
Thanks,
Jane :)

Make sure your knife is clean before you hone it. If it's not, you can trap particles in the honing tool that will then mess up the blade.

Mine have been clean. I'm sending my honer back for sure!

No ... but is it my imagination, or does the blade look "warped" since I got my honing tool?

One more question on this... Will getting the knives sharpened "fix" the nicks taken out by the honer? Or, will I now need to send all my knives back too that were ruined by the thing?

The honer should not take out nicks. I would send them back. If you haven't had them a year. Professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years to maintain sharpness.

Last edited:
Okay, so what's going on? I'm just reading this thread now. Is something wrong with using the honer?!

I just got the PC honer today so i have not use that honer. But i have used other honers and they work fine (the kind that a like ours with the 2 ceramic bars.) Also someone said the the PC honer is only for PC knives. How is that, it's 2 ceramic bars just like any other honer. I grew up around knives had* (fix it from have) an Uncle that sharpened and fix them."Resistance during use indicates knife edge is dull and needs care. Hone routinely to keep the cutting edge in proper alignment for optimal performance. When honing alone is no longer sufficient, professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years to maintain sharpness." Thats right from the use and care.

SassyCook said:
I just got the PC honer today so i have not use that honer. But i have used other honers and they work fine (the kind that a like ours with the 2 ceramic bars.) Also someone said the the PC honer is only for PC knives. How is that, it's 2 ceramic bars just like any other honer. I grew up around knives had* (fix it from have) an Uncle that sharpened and fix them.

"Resistance during use indicates knife edge is dull and needs care. Hone routinely to keep the cutting edge in proper alignment for optimal performance. When honing alone is no longer sufficient, professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years to maintain sharpness." Thats right from the use and care.

Because the bars are set at the exact angle of the blade. Not all knife manufacturers use the same angle.

SassyCook said:
The honer should not take out nicks. I would send them back. If you haven't had them a year. Professionally sharpen no more than once every one to two years to maintain sharpness.

Even if I have had them a year, these are lifetime guarantee knives, and the honer has a 5 year guarantee. I haven't had them sharpened professionally yet, but I know the majority of the nicks came after I used the honer. I know because I actually paid attention to the knife edge after my first honer took giant chunks out of the first knife I used. At any rate, I'll be calling HO tomorrow about all this, so, I'll let you know what I find out.

DebbieJ said:
Because the bars are set at the exact angle of the blade. Not all knife manufacturers use the same angle.
That's True.

1. What are "nicks" in forged cutlery knives?

"Nicks" in forged cutlery knives refer to small indentations or cuts in the blade of the knife. They can vary in size and depth and can affect the sharpness and overall usability of the knife.

2. How do nicks occur in forged cutlery knives?

Nicks in forged cutlery knives can occur for a variety of reasons, such as accidentally hitting a hard surface while cutting, improper storage, or using the knife on a surface that is too hard or rough.

3. Are nicks in forged cutlery knives common?

Yes, nicks in forged cutlery knives are fairly common, especially with regular use. They are a natural and expected occurrence in any knife, but can be minimized with proper care and maintenance.

4. Can nicks in forged cutlery knives be fixed?

It is possible to fix small nicks in forged cutlery knives by using a honing steel or sharpening stone to smooth out the blade. However, deep or large nicks may require professional sharpening or even blade replacement.

5. How can I prevent nicks in my forged cutlery knives?

To prevent nicks in your forged cutlery knives, it is important to use them on appropriate cutting surfaces, such as a wooden or plastic cutting board. Avoid using them on hard surfaces like ceramic or glass. Proper storage, regular honing, and avoiding excessive force while cutting can also help prevent nicks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• salthechef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lauraP2000
  • kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
Replies