• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Saving My Forged Cutlery from Rust Spots!

In summary, someone used my utility knife at my last show and there are rust spots on it. I'm not sure how to get rid of them.
erin.tpc
OK. I earned the Forged Cutlery when I qualified in my first 30 days. So, I like to bring the Santoku or Chef's Knife with me to shows for guests to use. At my last show we made the Cheeseburger Salad. I remember the Santoku being used for sure. Well...I guess someone also used my Utility Knife to cut tomatoes, put the sleeve back on & put it back in my Turn About!!! I had no idea. I took it out last night to use with dinner & there was dried tomato over it!!! So after washing it is covered in rust spots! :cry: Does anyone know how to get rid of them? My DH said to call HO, but I'm not sure if they would send a new one just because of rust spots. Use & Care says "Wash knife immediately after use." Any ideas?

yikes. i am sorry! i dont know what to tell you! hope someone has an answer for you!

Oh bummer!
If you have our Stainless cleaner, try that. Or try Bar Keepers Friend or Cameo.

If you have our stainless cleaner it is very likely to remove those spots. If not, call your director and borrow some of hers or try bar keepers friend. If that doesn't work call HO and tell them what happened. They will likely replace it but may give you more solutions to get the "rust" off.

eeek. This happened to me once when a over-helpful host thought it would be kind to PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER! So when I realized it, it was too late and by the time I got around to going through my dishes the next day there were already rust spots on there! My grandmother took something and rubbed it on the blade, i think it is supposed to take away scratches, and it worked like a charm. Not sure what it was but I will ask and try to get back to you!

I got home from a late party one night, and being preggo, decided my hubby could carry in my kit the next day.... well when I got the knife out to clean, I about freaked!!!! I soaked it for a bit and just scrubbed each spot with my washrag and they all came out pretty well. I would imagine with the SS cleaner or the others recommended, it will probably clean them right up.

Good thing you check and wash all your tools before your next show! Could you imagine pulling it out at a show. :eek:

It's a lesson for everyone! Check everything. I do wash everything because I don't know who touched what while I'm busy elsewhere but I know some people don't think to do that.

I've used Bar Keepers friend on mine and it takes the spot right off.

I've used our SS cleaner and it works beautifully!:thumbup: :)

BIG vote for the cleaner! I use that on my knives all the time. Its great!!!!!!

If all else fails, PM ChefAnn...she knows how to fix everything! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
If all else fails, PM ChefAnn...she knows how to fix everything! :)
Oh so true!

Wow! I guess I need to start being more careful. There have been nights I get home from a show and leave my stuff in the car or on the counter to clean later. (I know, gross, but there have been times I didn't get home till 11). I haven't ever had a problem with knife or anything else. After this I'll definitely start being more cautious!

It's the acid that's bad for the knives. If someone slices a loaf of plain bread and puts the knife back in the holder, it'll be OK. (A little crumby, but OK.) But the acid reacts to the steel. If you do like me, and typically take dished home from shows dirty, at least rinse your knives off and wipe with a cloth before you take them home.

I've heard you can cut an onion with a rusty knife to get the rust off. Did send one of my self sharpening knives back to PC for rust and they sent me a replacement.

BethCooks4U said:
Good thing you check and wash all your tools before your next show! Could you imagine pulling it out at a show. :eek:

It's a lesson for everyone! Check everything. I do wash everything because I don't know who touched what while I'm busy elsewhere but I know some people don't think to do that.

That is so me...I actually ENCOURAGE my guests to look at the stuff in my TTA and mention that I wash it all when I get home anyway AND before a show so they don't feel bad touching it. This was before "interactive shows" were the thing. I want my customers to get their hands on the tools and want to use them. They aren't made to sit and look pretty, they are to be used.

...most of our stuff is dishwasher safe so it isn't too bad filling the dishwasher after a show to clean things up...

On the knives, stainless cleaner should work fine.

erin.tpc, it has a lifetime guarantee. Send it back if you're not happy with it.

I've never had a knife (PC or other brand) get ruined from it setting without washing for several hours or even overnight.

1. How can I prevent rust spots from forming on my forged cutlery?

To prevent rust spots from forming on your forged cutlery, make sure to dry them thoroughly after every use and store them in a dry place. Avoid leaving them in water for extended periods of time and do not put them in the dishwasher.

2. What should I do if I notice rust spots on my forged cutlery?

If you notice rust spots on your forged cutlery, use a mild abrasive cleaner and a non-abrasive sponge to gently scrub the affected area. Rinse and dry thoroughly. If the rust spots are stubborn, you can also try using a mixture of lemon juice and salt to remove them.

3. Can I use steel wool or a metal brush to remove rust spots from my forged cutlery?

No, using steel wool or a metal brush can scratch and damage the surface of your forged cutlery. It is best to use a mild abrasive cleaner and a non-abrasive sponge to remove rust spots.

4. Is it safe to use my forged cutlery after removing rust spots?

Yes, as long as you have thoroughly cleaned and dried your forged cutlery after removing the rust spots, it is safe to use. However, if the rust spots were deep and have caused pitting on the surface of the cutlery, it is best to replace them.

5. How often should I clean and maintain my forged cutlery to prevent rust spots?

It is recommended to clean and dry your forged cutlery after every use and to store them in a dry place. Additionally, it is a good idea to give them a deep clean and polish every few months to keep them in top condition.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • missi.robbins
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
PC_CPR
  • babywings76