• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Forged Cutlery- Rusting Not Covered Under Warranty?

rust on my utility knife AND stainless steel bowls! I use our stainless cleaner and just recently went to one of my hosts house and wiped the rust spots off her knife.
kdangel518
Gold Member
I had a guest at my show last week who brought in her 5" Utility Knife because it had rust spots on the blade. Of course I said I would call HO and speak with them about getting it replaced. I just got off the phone with the Solutions Center and they informed me that rusting is not covered under our mfg's warranty for the forged cutlery, that it is caused by either the knife being submerged in water or not being dried properly or promptly enough (which I understand, but I find it odd that I am neither the fastest knife washer nor drier but none of my forged cutlery, some of which is 5 years old, has rust spots...)

At any rate, does anyone know if we actually have something in writing I can send to the customer?

I am going to explain to her that it's a limited lifetime warranty and rusting is not covered, I know she can remove the rust spots with a paste made of baking soda and water, and will encourage her not to soak her knives and to ensure they dry quickly. If she wants to replace it I'll offer her 10% off or something, but it would be great if I had something in writing to back myself up in case she asks. Thanks!

Well, basically the product use and care states that the's the way to care for the knife and it probably says on there that the warranty is only valid if the use and care is followed (or something to that affect). An easier thing to try before the paste is Mr. Clean magic erasers. I use those and they work amazing!

A stainless steel cleaner (ours or another brand) will also take the stains off.

Since rust is the oxidation of iron caused by contact with water, the only way rust could appear on the knives is if they were exposed to water for a prolonged time. This means rusting would occur if the knives were not cared for properly, and that's why rusting isn't covered by the Guarantee.

The "rusting" is likely caused by her water and the minerals in it. it's likely not true rust, but the deposits left by the minerals after the water evaporates.I used to live in a house with well water and would get "rust" on my knives all the time. A little stainless cleaner or barkeepers friend takes it right off. Now that we live in a house with city water, I never have the spots.

Pretty odd, but the only knives from the collection that have rust spots are my utility ones too. I have two and BOTH have spots!

I've also had rust on my utility knife AND stainless steel bowls. I use our stainless cleaner and just recently went to one of my hosts house and wiped the rust spots off her knife. I let guests know they need to hand wash and dry immediately now..

I haven't had any problems with mine, but I wash and dry them and then have them sit out on the counter (waaaaay bacK) to air dry before I put them back in the block.

Several of my knives have rust spots. I'm not that concerned about them (should I be?). They knives still seem to work okay.

Chef Kearns said:
Several of my knives have rust spots. I'm not that concerned about them (should I be?). They knives still seem to work okay.

Just a little extra flavor.

AJPratt said:
Just a little extra flavor.

It will put hair on your chest too!!!

I have had some rusting now and again, but stainless steel cleaner like "Cameo" or "Bar Keeper's Friend" sprinkled on it with a damp "Dobie" scrubber takes it right off and won't scratch them. The "Dobie" scrubber are those yellow sponge things with the nylon net covering. I should own stock in them!!:chef:

My own PC knives, that I clean and dry after each use, has "the spots" that look like rust. I have had a few people come up to me at my weekly booth and tell me about their "spots". They are upset and I understand. I tell them I have "spots" and I blame our city water/well water. I always direct them to the home office regardless.

So I guess I have dalmation knives. HA! HA!

I like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser idea. I will have to try that one.

I just had one of my customers tell me about one of her forged cutlery rusting, but she had left it in water for a bit. I have had mine for a couple years and usually put them in the dishwasher (I know I'm not supposed to) and have had no rusting at all.

I've actually had several customers of mine tell me they've had rusting. After having this happen several times, I talked to the product person at HO and she said she had no solution:( ...however, in each case, ALL of my requests for exchanges have been honored by HO (I called once and 3 other times my customers called).

In any event, here's what I have found as a common thread in all the customers...they were either put in the dishwasher or they were put back in their case/block without being dried properly. Interestingly, those that didn't have the block, had no idea that the plastic case they come in can be pulled apart to clean. When I showed them that they could pull them apart and then deeply dry them, they were surprised and more agreeable that it was "user" error. But I did learn that I need to do a better job in my product explanation when talking about the forged cutlery. Now I explain about the no dishwasher factor and the drying issue as I talk about the knives. Lesson learned:)

Baking soda paste!

ChefKelebel said:
In any event, here's what I have found as a common thread in all the Interestingly, those that didn't have the block, had no idea that the plastic case they come in can be pulled apart to clean. When I showed them that they could pull them apart and then deeply dry them, they were surprised and more agreeable that it was "user" error. But I did learn that I need to do a better job in my product explanation when talking about the forged cutlery. Now I explain about the no dishwasher factor and the drying issue as I talk about the knives. Lesson learned:)

I did not know the knife cases could be taken apart!! I will have to check that out. You do mean the Forged Cutlery, right?

ChefKelebel said:
But I did learn that I need to do a better job in my product explanation when talking about the forged cutlery. Now I explain about the no dishwasher factor and the drying issue as I talk about the knives. Lesson learned:)

I try to cover these kinds of things at check-out, and again on my out-of-the-box calls. I find that customers may not be paying attention to what I'm saying during my demo, because they might not choose to buy it until later in the show.

No offense to her, but she probably put it in the dishwasher which she's not supposed to do! Yeah, have her try out the baking soda paste and Mr Clean magic erasers. Hope she doesn't get mad about the warranty thing and you lose a customer. :(

Deb: Yep, it's the Forged Cutlery. Those black plastic covers come apart and they snap back into place too. Very nice. I'll try those magic erasers (I love them for just about every clean up job).

:)

ChefKelebel said:
I've actually had several customers of mine tell me they've had rusting. After having this happen several times, I talked to the product person at HO and she said she had no solution:( ...however, in each case, ALL of my requests for exchanges have been honored by HO (I called once and 3 other times my customers called).

We might want to be careful about this since we saw where abusing the lifetime warranty got us with the cookware! If knives are immediately washed and dried, then they WILL NOT rust. So the only way rust will occur is if they are not following the product's use and care which technically voids the warranties. If I had a customer come up to me about rust spots I would go over use and care and then suggest the many remedies mentioned here (stainless cleaner, bar keeper's friend, magic eraser, baking soda) and then let them know that because the warranty does not cover user error that's all you can do. I leave mine in the dishdrainer all the time and have occasionally gotten a tiny rust spot - even if they do get a rust spot it's probably not that noticeable unless they've been repeatedly ignoring the care instructions and I would have them live with it

Show a use and care card at every show and state that our guaranteee is fantastic and each product comes with a card like this with specific instructions on use and care and the length of the guarantee which is 1 year to lifetime depending on the item. Also point out that many have a recipe - that gets them looking.

If you say more than that they don't hear it. That short statement covers all products.

I've never thought to show a UCC. I'll have to do that from now on.

DessertDivaFL said:
My own PC knives, that I clean and dry after each use, has "the spots" that look like rust. I have had a few people come up to me at my weekly booth and tell me about their "spots". They are upset and I understand. I tell them I have "spots" and I blame our city water/well water. I always direct them to the home office regardless.

So I guess I have dalmation knives. HA! HA!

I like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser idea. I will have to try that one.

I think the DessertDiva is on target! Rust is a chemical change, I don't think one can one actually wipe off rust--even with Mr Clean!?

Maybe in some cases it is the minerals in the water building up on the blades. This makes more sense to me, and if there is a lot of iron in your water, it will look like rust.

I haven't seen the knives in question, so I'm just talking out of my hat, but....

Marghi

BlueMoon said:
I think the DessertDiva is on target! Rust is a chemical change, I don't think one can one actually wipe off rust--even with Mr Clean!?

Maybe in some cases it is the minerals in the water building up on the blades. This makes more sense to me, and if there is a lot of iron in your water, it will look like rust.

I haven't seen the knives in question, so I'm just talking out of my hat, but....

Marghi

Marghi,
Rust is a chemical change (iron oxide), but since it does not have similar properties to the steel, it can be flaked off. So, you could clean off the rust, either chemically (I dont' know about Mr. Clean, per se) or mechanically (ie sand it off). Your knife will be a few grams lighter afterwards. :)
After the rust is cleaned off, the knife should work just fine. Sharpening is a good idea to get rid of any rust on the honed edge.

Whether it's rust or not, I can't say. But I can testify to magic erasers working on 99% of the spots that my knives had. I think there is one spot on one of my knives that didn't come off with it. I don't know how or why but it works most of the time!

I wash and immediately dry my knives (with the PC micro fiber towels) and they have rust spots. Usually slicing through an onion then washing and drying the knife will also remove the rust spots.

salt + lemon juice will also remove rust.

BethCooks4U said:
Show a use and care card at every show and state that our guaranteee is fantastic and each product comes with a card like this with specific instructions on use and care and the length of the guarantee which is 1 year to lifetime depending on the item. Also point out that many have a recipe - that gets them looking.

If you say more than that they don't hear it. That short statement covers all products.

That is the white folded paper that comes with each thing, correct?

lindseystar said:
That is the white folded paper that comes with each thing, correct?

yep! i always bring one to shows, doesn't matter what item. And I tell people, "Your warranty lasts for x years - as long as you follow these simple directions." Then we pass around the item it's for as I read off the Use & Care guidelines. Usually I use a knife or if I just got something new I'll use that because my care card is still with the product and not in the drawer at home with the others.

1. What does "forged cutlery" mean?

"Forged cutlery" refers to knives that are made by heating and shaping a single piece of metal into the desired shape. This process creates a stronger and more durable knife compared to those that are stamped or pressed.

2. Is rusting covered under the warranty for forged cutlery?

No, unfortunately rusting is not covered under the warranty for forged cutlery. This is because rust is a natural occurrence that can happen to any metal, and is not a result of a defect in the product.

3. How can I prevent my forged cutlery from rusting?

To prevent rusting, it is important to properly care for your knives by hand washing them and immediately drying them after use. Avoid leaving them in damp or humid environments, and make sure they are completely dry before storing them.

4. What should I do if my forged cutlery does rust?

If your forged cutlery does rust, you can try using a rust remover or a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda to gently scrub the rust away. However, please note that this may affect the appearance or sharpness of the knife and is not covered under the warranty.

5. How long is the warranty for forged cutlery?

The warranty for forged cutlery varies by product, but it typically ranges from 1-10 years. Please check the specific product's warranty information for more details.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• erin.tpc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kspry
  • PCSarahjm
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Nep2nfly