• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Yoga: A Challenging (and Aching!) Experience

In summary, Linda found yoga to be very challenging and not as good as she thought it would be. She found Pilates to be more user-friendly and easier to follow. She also found that yoga helps with posture and feels good mentally and physically.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I had DH add me to his gym membership last month. Since then I've been trying out different group exercize classes. So far so good. They have reinforced the fact that I am uncoordinated and out of shape. Well, today I decided that I'd do a yoga class - afterall, there is no running, jumping, stepping, dancing, and it isn't fast-paced - thought I'd give myself a break and take it easy today. OMG :eek: ! I ache from every part of my body (my hair aches!)! It was so hard. There are definately positions that no human body was meant to be in. And get this, the instructor was a guy....and he was really good! I still can't believe a guy can do some of those positions either.

Anyhow, do any of ya'll do yoga? Why? No really, how do you like it. Does it get easier? I'm still debating on doing another class....ever.

From what I hear that is suppose to be one of the best things you can do for your body. My friend does it & loves it. My time frame doesn't allow it though :(

ROFL, Linda your so funny!! And yes it does get easier. It's really great for you mind and body. After a few classes you'll really notice a difference.

Yes it doe get easier! I loved it when I did it consistentlyfor 2.5 years. I think it toned my body!
Unfortunately my instructor left the gym to which I followed her around but now I cannot do it with her new schedule she offers. :( It really depends on the instructor too, I tried about 6 or so before this particular one and didn't care for it!

Hey, Boo-Boo! Let's go steal Linda's pic-a-nic basket!http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Yogi-portrait.jpg

I have tried a few times and I am not the steady. I am a very clumsy person, but I have some friends that love it! I actually tried it when I was pregnant too, because they said it would help calm me and help out for the birth. Couldn't do it!

It does get easier - and it can be good for your business! I noticed Merrill has a disproportionately large selection of yoga wear and accessories (ok, read that as they have some, since my "only works out in the den" self would rather have more shirt styles! :))Back to yoga - it totally helps your posture the more you do it, and while I don't think it's so much of a fat burning thing for me, I FEEL better when I do it!

Personally, I like Pilates. IMO, yoga is too "touchy feely" (for lack of a better description). When I've done it at the gym, it wasn't quite so "emotional", I really did like the work out. On DVD/video, it was just weird.

JAE said:
Personally, I like Pilates. IMO, yoga is too "touchy feely" (for lack of a better description). When I've done it at the gym, it wasn't quite so "emotional", I really did like the work out. On DVD/video, it was just weird.
They have a Centergy class that I like. From what I've een told, it's a cross between yoga & pilates. It's a little easier and it has some ab workouts.

Bob from the Biggest Loser always talks about how "you're only as old as your spine is flexible." Totally makes sense. Example: My husband was a pro skateboarder about ten years ago, still skates, rides his bike everyday to work, could run a few miles if he had to....but.....can't touch his toes to save his life. I try and get him to stretch everyday. It really makes a difference. I get annoyed doing yoga, because I don't feel like I'm doing anything...that is until the next day:)I would try doing it for two weeks, then see how you feel.

I LOVE yoga!! It's amazing and very therapeutic for your mind, body and soul. I used to do vinyasa flow level II, which was TOUGH, but I loved it. I sweat more doing that than I ever did in a regular gym, that's for sure!! Now that I'm back to work, I can only handle the hatha version (a little gentler, but still a good workout). Keep it up - it gets easier, and your body gets used to the poses and you'll be able to do things you never imagined possible. Keep us posted! :)

I am doing the yoga booty ballet videos and loving them!!

I absolutely love yoga! Our new gym just opened on Thursday, and they have yoga classes a few times a week. I can't wait to go!

I've been wanting to take a class at my gym, which is all ladies btw, but didnt know where to begin--since I am out of shape and really a beginner. I actually think we have beginners yoga. I might try it out. I hear it is supposed to be great for you.

Hey at least we're at the gym right?? :)

I absolutely LOVE yoga! I was hit by a drunk driver and was told I would never be able to run, walk up stairs, or lift anything over 20lbs. After all kinds of pt (which hurt and didnt work), pool tharapy, and massage tharapy, I finally started doing yoga and within 6 months i could finally tie my own shoes! I can now do all of the things the docs told me I wouldnt be able to do. I dont attend a class or watch videos regularly (sometimes i catch Namaste Yoga on fit tv). But I do simple yoga moves everyday for about a half hour while my baby sleeps. I feel great after because its my own time to get intouch with myself (brain and body). I also feel it if I skip a day or two. Sorry for such a long post, but I do believe it has saved my body.

Great story Clarissa and congratulations on your accomplishments! I plan to keep going - for now.

1. What are some ways to alleviate muscle soreness after a challenging yoga session?

Some ways to alleviate muscle soreness after a challenging yoga session include taking a warm bath with Epsom salt, using a foam roller or massage ball to target specific areas, practicing gentle stretches, and using a topical pain reliever such as arnica gel.

2. How often should I practice challenging yoga?

It is recommended to practice challenging yoga 2-3 times a week to allow for proper rest and recovery between sessions. It is important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard, as this can lead to injury.

3. Can I modify challenging yoga poses?

Yes, modifications are always available in yoga to make the practice more accessible. If a pose feels too challenging or causes pain, you can use props such as blocks or straps to make it easier, and work your way up to the full expression of the pose.

4. How can I prevent injuries during a challenging yoga class?

To prevent injuries during a challenging yoga class, it is important to listen to your body and not push yourself beyond your limits. It is also helpful to have a qualified instructor who can guide you through proper alignment and modifications. Proper warm-up and cool-down, as well as adequate rest and hydration, are also key in injury prevention.

5. What are some benefits of practicing challenging yoga?

Some benefits of practicing challenging yoga include increased strength, flexibility, and balance, improved mental focus and clarity, and stress relief. It can also help to prevent injuries and improve overall physical and mental well-being.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies