• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Witness! (Warning: Images May Be Disturbing)

car 3 times about 5 years ago. He fell asleep at the wheel due to misdiagnosed mono, on the day of one of Louisville, KY's biggest events....Thunder Over Louisville. Somehow there were few vehicles out driving at the time and he walked away with a scratch on his shoulder! There must have been angels in the car that day too! Last year in Washington State they passed a law regarding not tying down your load after two or three people were injured within a week, because of loads not being tied down.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I was on my way home from Upnorth yesterday afternoon and right after merging into heavy traffic on US 41 in Grand Chute, Wisconsin, an SUV that was just feet from my front bumper swerved to miss a piece of lumber that was in traffic. I walked back and grabbed that *&^#! board and tossed it into the emergency lane, against the barricade. (It was a pressure treated 2x2 that still had the barcode sticker on it - some moron must have been headed home from Home Cheapo and didn't have his load secured. THIS was the result!)

Someone had hit the board; it was standing on end and dancing in the traffic. The SUV swerved to miss it, so did I. But the driver of the SUV overcorrected and went into a skid. He then overcorrected the skid and bounced the truck off the concrete barrier, spun again and rolled over on to the top, sliding into the concrete barrier.

The debris field was huge and I was just able to avoid hitting the front bumper of the SUV that popped off when it hit the barrier the first time.

As I was talking to the 911 operator, the passenger crawled out of the passenger window and screamed that someone was trapped inside. By the time I had my car out of traffic, there were about a dozen people swarming around the vehicle, trying to get to the trapped occupant.

Within minutes, the site was swarming with first responders and police officers.

There is nothing more sickening than the sound of squaling tires, crunching metal, breaking plastic and crashing glass. I feel fortunate to have kept my vehicle out of the accident and more fortunate to have not been injured. While I was filling out my statement, this is what the scene became:

IM005632.jpg

IM005635.jpg

IM005637.jpg

IM005634.jpg

IM005633.jpg

The guys in the blue jumpsuits were the pilots and EMTs from here:

IM005636.jpg

As the responders were reloading equipment, I walked up to one and said, "You guys are fantastic." He just shrugged and said, "We're just doing the job we're trained to do." I chuckled and said, "Maybe, but we never get to tell you how much we appreciate you." He just mumbled, "Thanks" and went back to work.

This is all that made the local media, at least, that I found:

Appleton Post-Crescent said:
Man injured in rollover accident on U.S. 41
Motorists heading home for the weekend Friday found delays along U.S. 41 after a sport utility vehicle rolled over in the southbound lanes near State 15.

Authorities and emergency personnel were called to the scene at 5:30 p.m. Friday on report of the crash. Benjamin J. Cordle, 24, of De Pere, was trapped in the vehicle after it rolled and landed on its hood along the highway's left shoulder.

A passenger in the SUV told police that Cordle swerved the vehicle to avoid a piece of lumber within the lane of traffic. Grand Chute firefighters used the Jaws of Life to remove Cordle from the vehicle. He was taken by ambulance to Neenah's Theda Clark Medical Center for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

The passenger wasn't injured.

The State Patrol continues to investigate the crash.

Grand Chute police and the Outagamie County Sheriff's Department also assisted at the scene.

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070825/APC0101/708250608.

WOW KG glad you are ok, instead of being at the wrong place at the wrong time I think God sent you there to be a guardian angel for those families.

Wow KG - glad you're safe and not much more happened.

...thanks for the pics - it is interesting to see other department's stabilization equipment.

And thanks for thanking the department - that was great - he probably mumbled because he was humbled by your compliments - we don't hear them all that often! I'm sure he'll share the compliments with the others later!

WOW!!!!! It's amazing that it wasn't worse than that, and that the people in the SUV are walking away with few injuries! Glad you are OK! My brother flipped a car 3 times about 5 years ago. He fell asleep at the wheel due to misdiagnosed mono, on the day of one of Louisville, KY's biggest events....Thunder Over Louisville. Somehow there were few vehicles out driving at the time and he walked away with a scratch on his shoulder! There must have been angels in the car that day too!

WOW KG! I'm glad that you are okay.

Last year in Washington State they passed a law regarding not tying down your load after two or three people were injured within a week, because of loads not being tied down.

Again, glad that you are okay!

MamaChef said:
WOW!!!!! It's amazing that it wasn't worse than that, and that the people in the SUV are walking away with few injuries! Glad you are OK!

My brother flipped a car 3 times about 5 years ago. He fell asleep at the wheel due to misdiagnosed mono, on the day of one of Louisville, KY's biggest events....Thunder Over Louisville. Somehow there were few vehicles out driving at the time and he walked away with a scratch on his shoulder! There must have been angels in the car that day too!

I saw Thunder Over Louisville in 2000 from Joe's Crab Shack...awesome show!!!! I could never afford those seats myself today!

Glad your brother was o.k.!

Thank God that you and everyone else are OK. I praise God for that!

Wow, scary situation!! Glad you were there to help!!

Glad you're okay, KG. I know you're on the road a lot. It's good to know that you stay alert while you're out there. You know how we worry.

Do you remember the defensive driving PSA's that always told you to "...look out for the other guy..."?I drive offensively - I'm the other guy you have to look out for.

Glad you're ok KG!

Thank God no one was killed! I always shudder when I pass a truck with an open bed and stuff moving around in it or a car with a mattress flapping in the wind.

Once I was following a truck and a hand saw fell off. We were in heavy traffic and I couldn't swerve without hitting someone so I ran over it, turned into the next drive and as I did that the saw disloged from beneith the car. The truck had also stopped and picked up the saw and sped off while I was looking to see if I had damage. It had made the floor under the driver (where I put my feet) bow up.

When I took it to the dealer to have it fixed and checked out he said if it had hit just a few inches over it would have probably cut the fuel line and the car might have exploded.

Angels watch over us all!:angel:

Glad you are Okay KG.

Back in the late 80's I was driving home about 1:00 AM on a highway and there was 3 large metal ladders in the road that I had no choice but to hit because I couldn't get out of the lane I was in. I was able to slow down and I was not hurt but my poor car was. I was able to pull over to the brake down lane a man from an 18 wheeler came over to see if I was okay. I then had to stay there for help (no cell phones or Onstar in those days). I was lucky that a police car saw me on the other side of the highway and came by and drove me home.

I hope and pray that everyone involved with the accident will be okay.

Your story gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes... I was in an accident where my car was hit by a semi 2 years ago (driving from AZ to MN, accident in Nebraska)... by the grace of God, he just skimmed my car and we landed 3 feet from a huge piece of rebar that would have torn my car up! This semi ended up in 3 pieces in a side of a hill! All thanks to some idiot who missed his exit, saw a emergency unit uturn place in the road, decided he was going to back up and turn around, instead of going to the next exit, all of this in a place where construction was going on and there was dust, so visibility was low... somehow, all 4 of us involved walked away with nothing more than some scrapes and cuts (the semi driver) and the idiot walked away with nothing more than a ruined pair of pants (he peed them!) and me and my cousin with a fear of semi-trucks! (However I have to say this semi driver was amazing! He angled to hit the car so it spun out of the road into the middle area, and didn't hit, but, the side of my car! An amazing, amazing driver, if I have ever seen one!) The interesting thing is, 15 minutes prior to this, we were filling up gas in my tank, and I found my rosary and cross that I normally always have hanging from my review mirror (my mom had taken them down as she hates stuff in the mirror and we had just driven 1,000 miles together), and we hung them both back up... then boom, this happens! That was definitely God watching down! Sorry to hijak KG, but your story just brought be back to that place...

No problem with hijacking - I think related stories are good to hear. You couldn't tell the story if it had been worse. ;)I just figure that God has had plenty of opportunities to take me in the last several years, so I know that my work here isn't done yet.There must be thousands of people left on my list to annoy before I get called home.

Wow, scary!! Glad that you are ok!

When I was in college I had a large 2x4 fall off of a pick-up truck in front of me. The board was bouncing all over the road in a head over heels type of fashion. I just knew it was coming right through my windshield - but by the grace of God it hit the road right in front of me then bounced completely over my little car. Scared the daylights out of me though!

KG, I'm so thankful you're OK. God was with all of you! And those EMTs are angels!

Whewwww!!Glad you are ok KG!

I am glad you thanked the emergency crews for doing such a great job. I really appreciate them and whenever I can pick up the tab for a police officer, firemen, or EMT I do.

Debbie :D

Holy cow! KG I am so glad that you are OK, as well as everyone else! Angels were watching over that span of highway!!

Holy Toledo! I am glad to hear you are ok!!! There is a reason why your still hear!!! :) :angel:

No, it wasn't in Toledo, it was near Appleton. ;)I spent enough time in Toledo in the last year, thanks.

Wow! Thank God you and the others are all okay.

Wonder what the guy who lost the piece of lumber's thinkin'........:rolleyes:

PChefPEI said:
Wow! Thank God you and the others are all okay.

Wonder what the guy who lost the piece of lumber's thinkin'........:rolleyes:

Probably that no one finds him so he doesn't get into any trouble...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
No problem with hijacking - I think related stories are good to hear. You couldn't tell the story if it had been worse. ;)

I just figure that God has had plenty of opportunities to take me in the last several years, so I know that my work here isn't done yet.

There must be thousands of people left on my list to annoy before I get called home.

God has a purpose for all of us... Glad to know you found yours!:D

katie0128 said:
Probably that no one finds him so he doesn't get into any trouble...

My husband hit a boulder in the road once... yes, a big rock the size of a stove. They never did find who dropped it. Totalled his car, thank GOD he was fine.

But I'm sure that wherever THAT guy is, he's grateful he "got lucky" and didn't get caught.... I hope they find this guy.

KG...so glad that everyone was ok. Heaven isn't ready for you yet!:angel:

jenniferp417 said:
My husband hit a boulder in the road once... yes, a big rock the size of a stove. They never did find who dropped it. Totalled his car, thank GOD he was fine.

But I'm sure that wherever THAT guy is, he's grateful he "got lucky" and didn't get caught.... I hope they find this guy.

My DH hit a cement goose... was in the middle of a major road about 2a... bent the front axle, tore off the front bumper... but no injury to DH. Still was funny when he would tell people that his car got goosed!

Ann, The Kat Lady says, "Assuming that is where you're going to go at the time."Isn't it great to be loved?

KG, you are loved...

I'm so glad to hear you weren't physically involved with the wreck. This place, and this world, wouldnt be the same without ya!!

And, the guy who dropped the board might not even have known it fell off...just a thought.

KG - glad to hear that you are okay! Yikes!!!! That is very scary!

pcchris said:
KG, you are loved...

I'm so glad to hear you weren't physically involved with the wreck. This place, and this world, wouldn't be the same without ya!!

And, the guy who dropped the board might not even have known it fell off...just a thought.
Awww, you're just saying that because I'm a Bridge Hunter. :love:

You're right about the moron who dropped the piece of lumber. Remember Ann making this post? When is comes to loading lumber, some people need a proctologist to find their heads.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/car.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Do you remember the defensive driving PSA's that always told you to "...look out for the other guy..."?

I drive offensively - I'm the other guy you have to look out for.

I have no doubt. :D

Geez KG! I'm glad to hear that you're Okay!! What a day!!

Any word on the 24 year old?

dropped lumber...
pcchris said:
KG, you are loved...

I'm so glad to hear you weren't physically involved with the wreck. This place, and this world, wouldnt be the same without ya!!

I about posted the same thing, but thought someone else may have as well, so this time instead of posting my thoughts immediately; I've learned to continue reading the posts then commenting :)

I"m sure glad everyone involved is ok too.

and it's GREAT that KG and I believe SA?Deb? complimented the EMS or pick up their tabs :)

Liz

KG,
So glad that you're ok and you were very aware of what was going on around you! Take good care of yourself!:)

OMG! I am so glad you made out okay! That was an extreme close one.

PampMomof3 said:
Geez KG! I'm glad to hear that you're Okay!! What a day!!

Any word on the 24 year old?
Thank you, everyone.

There was no other news released about Mr. Cordle. I assume that he was treated and released.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Do you remember the defensive driving PSA's that always told you to "...look out for the other guy..."?

I drive offensively - I'm the other guy you have to look out for.

Sense of Humor intact! :) Glad to hear you made it out of that okay, it's pretty bad when they have to bring in the jaws of life. Thanks for the pix and presence to thank the EMS. Classy guy!

Aww, shucks. TY.

KG, glad you are OK.

1. What happened during the accident on US 41 in Grand Chute, Wisconsin?

A piece of lumber fell off a vehicle and caused a chain reaction. An SUV swerved to avoid it, causing another car to swerve and roll over, resulting in a debris field and a trapped driver.

2. Was anyone injured in the accident?

Yes, the driver of the SUV was trapped and had to be rescued by firefighters. He was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

3. Who responded to the scene of the accident?

First responders and police officers were on site shortly after the accident occurred. The Grand Chute firefighters used the Jaws of Life to rescue the trapped driver.

4. How did the responders handle the situation?

The responders quickly assessed the situation and worked together to rescue the trapped driver and clear the debris from the accident. They were praised for their professionalism and quick actions.

5. Was there any media coverage of the accident?

Yes, the accident was reported in the local media and investigated by the State Patrol. The article mentioned the involvement of multiple agencies, including the Grand Chute police and Outagamie County Sheriff's Department.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• starrmarie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
  • pamperedpals
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Back