• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Windows Vista: Pros & Cons for New Desktop Buyers

In summary, In general, people seem to like Vista, but there are some complaints about it. The main pro is that it is more user-friendly than XP, but the con is that it is more expensive.
Shawnna
Gold Member
I am thinking about buying a new desktop. Everything I have seen now has the new Windows Vista program on it. I love XP and have not heard anything good about Vista. So, for those of you who have the new software can you tell me the pros and cons of it. I have been thinking about just having one built and putting XP on it, but would rather just go buy one already put together...its cheaper and less hassle.

Also, I was told their was a new Wordprocessing software on the new computers. Anyone know about that? No being really computer software savvy myself, I hate to learn new programs.

Any help would be appreciated.

There's a new version of Word that came out last year. It does the same things as older versions, but Microsoft changed menus and things. So it's not a matter of learning a whole new program, but learning how to do things that you already know how to do.

Shawnna said:
I am thinking about buying a new desktop. Everything I have seen now has the new Windows Vista program on it. I love XP and have not heard anything good about Vista. So, for those of you who have the new software can you tell me the pros and cons of it. I have been thinking about just having one built and putting XP on it, but would rather just go buy one already put together...its cheaper and less hassle.

Also, I was told their was a new Wordprocessing software on the new computers. Anyone know about that? No being really computer software savvy myself, I hate to learn new programs.

I have Vista and I like it. It's really pretty much the same. They just moved some things around and made things look a bit different. It took no time to adjust.

As far as wordprocessing software, the computer I got came with (I think it was) Works. My dh deleted it and installed Office 2000 Professional because as he says, so many don't have works so sharing docs would be difficult. He uses Office 2007 and likes it a lot. There are new features and a new look. I didn't get it because we had licenses for 3 copies of 2000 that we weren't using.

Shawnna said:

DH is a Microsoft man (and is an IT professional by day and night) and tries out every new product when it comes out. He's given up on Vista and gone back to XP on his machine, fed up with the number of things that simply wouldn't play nice with it. To him the aggravation wasn't worth keeping the extra fluff. He was actually surprised that MS let it go out in prime time as he saw it more as still in beta mode... I wouldn't let him put Vista on my machine. I had enough nightmares with the ME experiment we had years ago... I stick with what I like and know to be solid and good... to me that was 2000 sp2 and;is now XP... Here's a pretty telling article: http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3712951

Do your research.. google Vista and see what kind of things you'll need to know. We found that a lot of DH's drivers just didn't work and no updates or patches worked either - that really hobbled his ability to use his computer which is like part of his body. LOL... I think it was a bad move on MS's part to have Vista only on new products with no choice of XP.

Course we have friends that have glowing things to say about Linux... Dell will be offering Ubuntu (the current Linux OS) preloaded on one of its laptops but... a little patience for those in the U.S. apparently. http://www.linux.org/news/2008/01/24/0003.html

you can still get a great deal on XP machines from Dell (desktop only)

I just bought a new desktop, has Vista. I was not thrilled, but have used it for few days now and it seems okay. Works with all the programs I use so far, including P3.Robin

etteluap70PC said:
you can still get a great deal on XP machines from Dell (desktop only)

You can still get XP laptops from Dell too. Or at least you could in Dec when I got mine. I got XP b/c I had heard of so many bugs with Vista. The Dell rep agreed wtih my choice as well.

Mine has the Works Suite on it and I love it - no problems at all with it or with sharing my docs, so far anyway.

I like Vista. It looks slightly different but that's the only difference that I have noticed. I haven't had any problems with it.

My DH got me a laptop for Christmas and it came with Vista. I haven't had any problems with it. We have a friend that works at Microsoft, so she was able to get the Office 2007 suite for me for $50. I love it. Just have to get use to the way they have the toolbars and menus set up.

I had heard about the drivers not working with Vista...and seems like there was a problem with Vista and P3. I don't mind the new software, but I want the other products I have to work correctly with it. As far as ordering from Dell...I don't know. I had problems with them when I bought my last one...they didn't install the correct CD/DVD recorder...only a player...and they wouldn't change it. Then they tried to charge me a lot of money for paying it off in full instead of finishing the monthly payments. And, the Dells I see in the stores have Vista on them. At my last job all of our computers were Dell and we were always having problems with them. But, our computer guy loved Dell so we had to purchase from them. I think Dells are over-rated and over-priced. I think I may have to make a trip to Best Buy.

I have not had any problems surface with Vista and P3...yet. Not to say it may not happen. We did have issues when we tried to downgrade to XP; it would not recognize some of my drivers. We went back to Vista.I think the new computers out have components not recognized (easily) by XP. You can probably find the drivers online, with some searching.Mine is a Gateway, be the way. I like them.Robin

i MISS xp!! i had vista in my laptop and i have problems all the time with compatability issues! i just got a new palm pilot last night with wireless and everything and that's not even compatible with vista yet so i have to do everything on my PC upstairs that still has XP on it. vista doesn't seem worth it to me, i wish i would have stuck with xp. you live, you learn!

I HATE VISTA!!! I have had so many compatability issues with it!! Just my two cents, lol.

I haven't had any problems with Vista. Mine works fine with P3 (always asks if I want to allow it which is a little annoying), but for the most part it's been fine. I got my laptop last March when it first came out, so I had a few problems then. None since though.

Related to Windows Vista: Pros & Cons for New Desktop Buyers

1. What are the main advantages of purchasing a desktop with Windows Vista?

The main advantages of choosing a desktop with Windows Vista are its improved security features, enhanced user interface, and increased compatibility with newer software and devices. It also offers a more stable and reliable operating system compared to its predecessor, Windows XP.

2. Are there any downsides to using Windows Vista on a new desktop?

One of the main downsides of Windows Vista is its higher system requirements, which can make it difficult to run on older or lower-spec computers. It also has a steeper learning curve compared to previous versions of Windows, which may be challenging for some users.

3. How does Windows Vista compare to other operating systems?

Windows Vista offers a more user-friendly interface and improved security compared to its predecessor, Windows XP. However, it may not be as lightweight and customizable as other operating systems, such as Linux. It also has a smaller market share compared to Windows 10, which is the current version of Windows.

4. Can I upgrade from Windows XP to Vista on my current desktop?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista, but it may not be a smooth transition. It is recommended to check your computer's compatibility with Vista and backup important files before attempting the upgrade. It may also be more cost-effective to purchase a new desktop with Vista already installed.

5. Are there any additional costs associated with using Windows Vista?

Aside from the initial purchase of a desktop with Windows Vista, there may be additional costs for software or hardware upgrades to ensure compatibility. Additionally, some features, such as Windows Media Center, may require a separate purchase. However, regular updates and support for Windows Vista are no longer available, so it may be more cost-effective to upgrade to a newer version of Windows in the long run.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • schel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebinIA
  • Karen