1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: New Computer's Software Question

1. schel

schel Advanced Member

Hello!
    Santa was good to us this Christmas!! I, my son, and our family recieved a electronic upgrade in our home this season.

Anyways, we got 2 laptops, and a new desktop. The microsoft works program is only a 60 day trial. So... my question is does anyone know if I can just buy one microsoft works 2007 software and install it on all 3 computers? Or do I have to buy 3. Will it work to only buy one? We are not using it for anything else other than home use.

Thanks for help!
    Michelle

Jan 2, 2010
  2. urbnk8

urbnk8 Member

Most Microsoft programs are good for 3 computers/installations. But if you try to put it on more than 3, it will not let you.

Jan 2, 2010
  3. schel

schel Advanced Member

Thank you for the info. This helps me out.
    Schel

Jan 2, 2010
  4. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

It should say on the box when you go to get it how many licenses it gives you. Our Student and Teacher edition had three licenses.

Jan 2, 2010
  5. Melissa78

Melissa78 Veteran Member Gold Member

Not sure if its just a typo or not but I would HIGHLY recommend that you invest in MS Office (Word) not works. Works usually comes preinstalled and is virtually the bare bones of word processing. You may run into formatting issues when trying to use anyone's Word files.

My student edition of MS Office has 3 installs but I do believe it just depends on if you 'register' them or not...Not too sure on that but I believe that's how they track the licensing.

Jan 2, 2010
  6. Usafwife10

Usafwife10 Novice Member

I completly agree with Melissa 78 about getting MS Office not works!!! Especially if your son is in school, works is not compatable with what is on school computers he would not be able to work on something at home and open it up at school. Go with MS Office that comes with 3 installs!!

Jan 2, 2010
  7. crystalscookingnow

crystalscookingnow Senior Member Gold Member

The Student/Teacher edition is great for this. The other versions are way more expensive compared to S/T. We had to buy the prof. version for our home business (not PC) and it was $485. :(

8. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

I tried using Works for a few months and found that not only could I not always share documents with others but that I could not even open some of the ones I created! If you get even one on-line upgrade, it could mess up work you have already created! It is considered "unstable" by most networks guys. So basically, it is not worth the time, trouble or money. Besides, you can write off the MS Word or Office Suite program on your taxes as a business expense so if you have the money, do that instead.

Jan 2, 2010
  9. Gina M

Gina M Veteran Member Gold Member

Also if you want a better deal on Word - go to amazon.com - I got it for half the price that they wanted on their web site.

Jan 3, 2010
  10. PampChefJoy

PampChefJoy Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2010
  11. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

I agree that Works is not worth the money and is very limiting! I prefer Office. I've never tried the student/teacher version.

Jan 3, 2010
  12. DebinIA

DebinIA Member Gold Member

You could also download OpenOffice. It is a free/shareware program that opens and runs all Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. You can also file share and people who only have Office will be able to open your files. It looks just like Office. It is all that is installed on the computers at my children's school b/c it is so much more cost effective for schools. Check it out... OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite It is owned by Sun Microsystems.

Jan 3, 2010
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted