• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Is It so Scary to Pick up the Phone? It Really Doesn't Need to Be!

In summary, the conversation discussed the fear of making phone calls and how it can be overcome. The speaker shared their own experience and mentioned resources that have helped them. The overall message was to not let fear stop us from making important calls, as not everyone will be annoyed and we may be missing out on opportunities if we don't try. The key is to be consistent and remember that the ones who say no are just missing out on something special. It was also suggested to ask if it's a bad time to call instead of asking how the person is doing.
esavvymom
Staff member
So, I am one of those, like most of us, who hates the phone! I get so scared by what the person on the other end will say...I've had a few rotten-human-beings on the other end, and it isn't a pleasant feeling- as you all know.

But today, I just made two customer calls....Not really customer CARE calls per se...one was to get payment info from an online order, and the other was to ask the lady if she'd like to save an additional $10 by having the order ship to me (I am doing my own Anniversary Sale Catalog Show).

Both were very pleasant and nice, and it just makes me wonder- what are we so afraid of? I'm going to bookmark this thread for MYSELF- because in a week, i"ll have to remind myself of this. ;)

Moral of this thread? Don't let one bad apple spoil the entire bushel!

GOOD POINTS Bobbi! Phone fear is something that I am currently in the process of overcoming as well!

Recently read Carpe Phonum by Tammy Stanley- GREAT BOOK!

Also doing Step Up Your Business and listened to the recorded training Phone Courage on Consultant's Corner. It was GREAT!

Being consistent in phone calls is the key for me- don't let it slide! That's when the gremlins start talking and making you afraid again!

I'm getting MUCH better on the phone myself. Of course, it's always easiest to call the people who say it's okay to call.

I guess the thing to remember is that not everyone will be annoyed by our calls. We just have to remember to tell ourselves that the ones who get annoyed are the ones missing out on something special.

I have found it's always best to say "Is this a bad time to call?" instead of "How are you?" Most times, they will say no EVEN if it is a bad time. Sometimes, they will be honest, and you just ask them when they'll be available to talk to you.

As my up-line director said, you have to weed through the No's to get to the Yes's.

Hello there!I completely understand your fear of making phone calls, as I used to feel the same way. But as you experienced today, sometimes those calls can actually turn out to be pleasant and productive. It's important to remember that not every person on the other end of the phone is going to be unpleasant.I'm glad you were able to successfully make those two customer calls today. It's always a great feeling when we can save our customers some money or help them with their orders. And it's even better when the calls go smoothly and we have positive interactions with our customers.I think the moral of this thread is definitely something we should all remember - don't let one bad experience discourage us from making necessary phone calls. Thank you for sharing your experience and reminding us to not let one bad apple spoil the entire bushel. Keep up the great work!

1. Why do some people find it so scary to pick up the phone?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may find it scary to pick up the phone. Some may have social anxiety or fear of talking to strangers, while others may have had negative experiences in the past with phone calls. Additionally, the fear of saying the wrong thing or not knowing what to say can also contribute to this fear.

2. Is it normal to feel anxious about making or receiving phone calls?

Yes, it is normal to feel anxious about making or receiving phone calls. Many people experience some level of anxiety when it comes to phone conversations, especially with people they don't know well. This fear is often rooted in a fear of judgment or rejection.

3. How can I overcome my fear of picking up the phone?

One of the best ways to overcome a fear of picking up the phone is to practice and desensitize yourself to it. Start by making small, low-pressure calls to friends or family members. Gradually work your way up to more challenging calls. It may also be helpful to remind yourself that most people are understanding and won't judge you for small mistakes on the phone.

4. Are there any benefits to picking up the phone instead of texting or emailing?

Yes, there are several benefits to picking up the phone instead of relying solely on texting or emailing. Phone calls allow for more natural and personal communication, as tone of voice and inflection can convey meaning that may be lost in written messages. Phone calls also allow for faster resolution of issues or questions, as they allow for immediate back-and-forth conversation.

5. How can I make picking up the phone less scary?

One way to make picking up the phone less scary is to have a script or outline prepared beforehand if you know you will be making an important or nerve-wracking call. This can help you feel more confident and prepared. It may also be helpful to remind yourself of the potential benefits of the call, such as getting important information or strengthening a relationship.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Deb Bixler
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • kcmckay