• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Is the Phone so Scary, Here's What I Did

would you like to come and cook for me and my group of friends?" 3. If they have booked already: " Great! We have a few openings left, what are your cooking plans for February?"
cewcooks
Today I made six live contacts 2 were actually in person, the other on the phone and the whole time I felt so nervous and after no success I feel so discouraged I even had my script written down inside my notebook, which I thought was really good, but maybe not.. let me know what you think..

Hi ( ) this is ( ) from pc, how are you this evening! good. the reason for my call this evening is to see if you are aware of our host specials for Feb and March, most said no so then I briefly told them what the specials are and that they could get free products by letting me come and cook for them, Does that sound like something you would be interested in?

All my replies lately have been, I have enought pc stuff and don't need anymore....

what are your thoughts..

When people say they don't need any more PC stuff, I feel like saying, "So if I gave you a $90 Gift Certificate, would you turn it down?" Seriously! Even if their kitchen is fully stocked, wouldn't a fun night of food and friends be something they'd be interested in? Maybe their friends would love to learn how to make some great new recipes or have been needing to buy something from PC but don't have a consultant?I don't know what I'd say, exactly...but those are just some gut reaction thoughts I get when people say that. :D

Remind them that new products are coming out in March and would they like to "prebook" a show for March? Making it sound like you've had a lot of interest & that your calendar is filling up might be good too ... :)

First of all...congratulations for making the calls! In the fall getting a yes is much easier.

Here is a sample script from Tammy Stanley. I highly recommend her website and her CD's as well. Her book, Carpe Phonum (Seize the Phone) will really help too.

Hello, is ______ there? Hello, ______, this is _______with The Pampered Chef. Did I catch you at a bad time?

(answer most likely will be..."No you caught me at a good time.")

Good. I am giving you a quick call today because I want all of my preferred customers to see my wonderful kitchen collection this season.

Naturally as one of my hostesses, you are entitled to our fabulous hostess program, but this month you are also entitles to 50% more free Pampered Chef products than usual, plus 60% off one of our bamboo combinations just for hosting in January. Would you like to take advantage fo this time-sensative offer, get some free Pampered Chef products , and be one of my January hostesses?

If the answer is no, Tammy has a sequence of wording to keep this conversation going with hopes of this person being an interested customer, but hopefully, a host! (sorry I couldn't offer more...I am literally falling asleep!)

baychef said:
First of all...congratulations for making the calls! In the fall getting a yes is much easier.

Here is a sample script from Tammy Stanley. I highly recommend her website and her CD's as well. Her book, Carpe Phonum (Seize the Phone) will really help too.

Hello, is ______ there? Hello, ______, this is _______with The Pampered Chef. Did I catch you at a bad time?

(answer most likely will be..."No you caught me at a good time.")

Good. I am giving you a quick call today because I want all of my preferred customers to see my wonderful kitchen collection this season.

Naturally as one of my hostesses, you are entitled to our fabulous hostess program, but this month you are also entitles to 50% more free Pampered Chef products than usual, plus 60% off one of our bamboo combinations just for hosting in January. Would you like to take advantage fo this time-sensative offer, get some free Pampered Chef products , and be one of my January hostesses?

If the answer is no, Tammy has a sequence of wording to keep this conversation going with hopes of this person being an interested customer, but hopefully, a host! (sorry I couldn't offer more...I am literally falling asleep!)

THIS is EXACTLY what you need to be saying when you make those calls!!!!
TS completely ROCKS!!

LOL! I was just re-listening to the Jumpstart Your Business teleseminar. She does rock!!

Instead of "Does that sound like something you would be interested in?" My conversation assumes they are going to schedule a show, so I say: 1. If they've already had a show in the past; "I know you had so much fun at your show last year. How does February look for you?" 2. If never booked. I say close to the same as the original post, but " February 4 and 5 are my next available dates. Does one of those days work for you?" I go on to my second week if needed. If a cooking show is not something they want, I talk about the catalog show. Gotta go! Need to do my own phone calls now.

No, DO NOT back them into a corner! We are trained to say, "X and X are my best dates, which one works for you" and it backfires because AT NO TIME did they even say they wanted to host a show and you're almost forcing them into it. If they do agree, they will cancel, not get you a guest list, get their phone disconnected, etc.

Di_Can_Cook said:
No, DO NOT back them into a corner! We are trained to say, "X and X are my best dates, which one works for you" and it backfires because AT NO TIME did they even say they wanted to host a show and you're almost forcing them into it. If they do agree, they will cancel, not get you a guest list, get their phone disconnected, etc.
This is exactly what Tammy said in a seminar I was able to go to (LIVE) this week (so cool!). But she said you don't want to push them into a corner, they will only resist. Talk to them adult-to-adult, not parent-child. By giving them choices instead of asking whether they want to do this first, is parent-child. After they express they ARE interested, then you can say "I usually do shows on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Would one of those work for you?" (Put in whatever days you work....). Then when they tell you "Saturdays would work". THEN you can say what dates you have available.Anne's (Baychef) script is spot on. Once you've heard the REASON for this script, it SO makes sense. http://www.tammystanley.com/tele-workshops/jump_start_your_business_training_1_1.html they'll give you a taste of some of her stuff...plus explore her articles on her website. Understanding the psychology makes a difference. (And thanks Anne for sharing your script! I needed to write mine to make calls this week. )

Di_Can_Cook said:

Hmmm, Di, you wouldn't be speaking from experience, would you? haha

Sort of .. even though I used Tammy's script and it STILL backfired!

cewcooks said:
Today I made six live contacts 2 were actually in person, the other on the phone and the whole time I felt so nervous and after no success I feel so discouraged I even had my script written down inside my notebook, which I thought was really good, but maybe not.. let me know what you think..

Hi ( ) this is ( ) from pc, how are you this evening! good. the reason for my call this evening is to see if you are aware of our host specials for Feb and March, most said no so then I briefly told them what the specials are and that they could get free products by letting me come and cook for them, Does that sound like something you would be interested in?

All my replies lately have been, I have enought pc stuff and don't need anymore....

what are your thoughts..

When I do make my calls, I first ask if they have a moment,(being considerate of their time) if they say yes they do, I ask how they are and how is the family (yadda yadda) if I know her, if I don't I still ask for permission and tell her that we had met @ ________ and I saw that she had showed interested in hosting a show and I would love to come and cook for you and your friends. Is there a day that is good for you? Tuesday are good for you? Great I have February 2nd available, will that work for you?
If not, I give her the following Tuesday and usually that is what they go for.

If it was someone I don't know, that well, if at a show I tell them thank you for attending susie's cooking show? I had a wonderful time and hope that you did too! What did you like most about the show? I usually get a response getting together with friends and enjoying each others company, then I say wouldn't it be nice if we could do that once every month? Usually they say that would be great, so I then in turn say well you know, if you book a cooking show in February, Susie is also going to get the same host special as you will. And I tell her benefits of hosting a show and the bonus would be to see her friends again. And they usually book a show.

There are times they do say no, and that is okay because you don't know what is going on on the other side of the phone. Ask for permission if you could follow up in a month or two to see if she would be available then. I always get a yes! I then put them in my calendar six weeks ahead and call them, and they know that I am going to call.

Sorry to be long winded, but hope it helped.

Some wonderful advice here, just wanted to add what many of you know already. Really, the more calls you make the easier it gets. It just feels scary when you are first starting, or if you let too much time go between calling session. :)MORE importantly I wanted to say that you want to get them saying yes, off the bat, not no, so the conversation has a positive tone... For example, rather than,
Are you busy? Answer=No,try
Is this a good time to chat for a minute?
Answer usually, YES, more positive tone.

I remember listening to a training tape where the speaker said she would be "honored" to do a show for them. I need to re-introduce that word to my vocabulary.

:p
babywings76 said:
When people say they don't need any more PC stuff, I feel like saying, "So if I gave you a $90 Gift Certificate, would you turn it down?" Seriously! Even if their kitchen is fully stocked, wouldn't a fun night of food and friends be something they'd be interested in? Maybe their friends would love to learn how to make some great new recipes or have been needing to buy something from PC but don't have a consultant?

I don't know what I'd say, exactly...but those are just some gut reaction thoughts I get when people say that. :D

Just relax and talk to them like their your new bff. You need to make them feel comfortable talking to you. I always talk a few mins. about their day or weather something before I throw out there why I am calling, otherwise it just comes across as a cold call. Good Luck....

sherylscooking said:

Just relax and talk to them like their your new bff. You need to make them feel comfortable talking to you. I always talk a few mins. about their day or weather something before I throw out there why I am calling, otherwise it just comes across as a cold call. Good Luck....

That can also backfire...when a seller calls me and says "How are you" or chit-chats...unless it IS someone I KNOW, to me, I'm just thinking.. "What do you want? Don't waste my time." Tammy actually encourages you to get to the point in the first 30 seconds...and THEN if you want to chat- go for it! It will seem more genuine, then pretending to care (even if you mean it...they won't believe it), and then say "Oh, by the way..do you want to book a show or order something" .

BUT I know that what works for one person will not always work for someone else- so I'm not saying anyone else s method is wrong! I'm all for trying things out and see what works for you..and sometimes it won't ALWAYS work for you...it depends on the customer too. But I wanted to at least throw out that alternative view.

Thanks for the ideas!
Really need to get over my phone-a-phobia!

I'm just getting over my phone-procrastination-cold call phobias too and after a few calls, it really does get easier (it helped that the first two people I called booked shows without a blink:)
But...don't be afraid of someone says "no thanks" right off the bat, I learned if I said something like, "ok, no problem, if nows not a good time, then would it be alright if I called in a month or two to check in? Maybe then would be a better time." So far, everyone that was a "no" said, "of course, no problem". And it then occurred to me that it didn't matter if someone said "no", I still got an invitation for a follow up call and potential bookings!

Just remember, "no" can also mean, "not right now, maybe later".

Good luck, I'm off to make some calls!

I am having SO much trouble making phone contacts. I seriously HATE to talk on the phone more than anything..I've pretty much avoided it my entire life as much as possible! Up until now I was successfully handling my business with little phone contact, but now I know that I need to do it. I only have 2 shows for February, and I really need to step it up.
I talked myself into making at least one phone call last night. I called a woman who had placed an outside order for one of my previous shows. She basically laughed in my face..well I guess not in my face, but you know what I mean. I felt really embarrassed, but I tried again with someone else tonight and used one of the scripts posted above. The lady I called was eating dinner and seemed kind of annoyed. I know that it's nothing personal against me, but I just hate to bother people!
I can't figure out when a good time to call is. I'm home most of the day because I'm taking all night classes, so I'd like to make calls then, but it seems like most of my customers work 9-5 jobs. I feel like there IS no right time to call.
Ugh! I don't know. I guess I just needed to vent. I really need to keep at it. Maybe if I wait until Saturday to make calls things will go over a little better.

I make my phone calls as a friend and not as a PC consultant. I just say hi this is Bobby, how are you and go from there. I try not to make it sound like I'm calling for PC.
If I know the person from outside of PC I talk about that first.

I do most of my contacting in person. It's easier for me.

1. Why is the phone so scary?

Many people find the phone intimidating because it requires them to have immediate and direct communication with another person, without the ability to carefully craft their message or take time to think about their response.

2. What can I do to overcome my fear of using the phone?

The best way to overcome your fear of using the phone is to practice and become more comfortable with it. Start by making small calls to friends or family members, and gradually work your way up to more important or professional calls. You can also try rehearsing what you want to say beforehand and taking deep breaths to calm your nerves.

3. How can I make phone calls less intimidating?

One way to make phone calls less intimidating is to have a script or talking points written down before making the call. This can help you stay on track and feel more confident in what you're saying. You can also try making the call in a quiet and comfortable environment, and remember to speak slowly and clearly.

4. What are some tips for effective phone communication?

Some tips for effective phone communication include speaking clearly and confidently, actively listening to the other person, and using a friendly and professional tone. It can also be helpful to have a pen and paper handy to take notes and jot down important information during the call.

5. How can Pampered Chef help me with my fear of using the phone?

Pampered Chef offers training and support for its consultants, including tips on how to effectively communicate with customers and make phone calls less intimidating. They also offer a supportive community of consultants who can share their own experiences and advice on using the phone for business purposes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
MHPampered
  • Flamingo
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kcmckay