• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why Did Dishwashing Turn Knife Handles Gray?

In summary, the host received the Knife Block Set as her Host Bonus, and quickly unboxed them and ran them through the dishwasher. The handles on the knives became gray after the dishwasher cycle. The host is advised to try vinegar or a stainless steel cleaner to see if that helps.
NooraK
Gold Member
A February host got the Knife Block Kit as her Host Bonus item. She got them home, un-boxed them and promptly ran them through the dishwasher. :eek:

She understands that this is not covered by the Guarantee. The knives are fine functionally, but she says the handles are now a gray color. The water for her house comes from a spring, so while she doesn't have hard water issues, I'm sure there are still some minerals in the water. Another thought I had is that maybe the detergent had something to do with it.

I advised her to try vinegar or maybe a stainless steel cleaner to see if that helps.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Wipe them gently with a wet microfiber cloth. It should shine them right up.
Mine does that as well. It's most likely that she needs to put Jet-Dry in her dishwasher and/or have her dishwasher pipes cleaned. Most people don't know this, but to keep your dishes "sparkly" you need to have the rubber piping for your dishwasher cleaned at least once a year otherwise you can change detergents as many times as you like and your dishes still won't ever be as clean as you like. But Jet-Dry does help a little.
It's a problem with her dishwasher, not her knives.

That, and the knives aren't dishwasher safe to begin with.

She does have a brand new dishwasher, she just moved in to the house and re-did her kitchen.

They aren't DW safe? I'll have to read that again, I thought just the cases weren't.

My husband put one of the steak knives in the dw and the handle became grey. I rubbed a little olive oil on it and then washed it. You can't tell which one it is now.

No the knives are not DW safe! :eek:

No high quality cutlery should go into the dishwasher. Neither should the non-stick cookware.

I knew about the cookware but WOW! I'll have to remember that about the knives! I don't know what I read that made me think they were, I do read the product info on everything I get, I must've misread it.

Thanks!

My daughter has the earlier Professional Cookware, and puts it in her dishwasher. I was
horrified when I saw the condition of the outside of the pans. They have lost the dark
finish and have a ratty gray color to them. I was ashamed to admit they were PC. However, it was her choice, and certainly not a warranty issue.

Shelby and every one else, you must make sure you are paying attention and KNOW the does and don'ts of the products you sell! If you tell a customer it is OK to do something with the product and something goes wrong and then they try to return it and the Home Office says the warranty is void because the item can not be used or cared for in the way they did, it will either cost you money to replace the item if you want to keep that customer or if not, you will probably loose a customer. Noorak now has a customer with a $300 plus piece of garbage. But Noorak also covered her behind because she told the customer they were not to be put in the dishwasher.

I'd recommend she polish them up and not bother with a warranty issue.I've resorted to dishwashing my utility knife ONLY when it was used to cut something gross and never had a problem.I once had a customer call HO about her forged knife and I will NEVER do it again. They asked her how she washe dit and she said she hand-washed and dripped dry. Warranty voided! She's supposed to dry it immediately! I told her to try HO's trick for baking soda and water and if that didn't take her rust spots away I'd process an adjustment on my own knife on her behalf! It must have worked!

I don't think the knives are now garbage. They don't look good, but one run in the dishwasher isn't going to render forged stainless steel useless.

When I worked at a restaurant (granted it was IKEA and I was just a cashier), the chefs said not to put them in the dishwasher because it dulls the blade. I asked some of my co-workers at lunch today, whether it was common knowledge that cutlery like that shouldn't go in the dishwasher, because I honestly wasn't sure if it was just me. They all agreed that they would know not to put it in the dishwasher.

I have to make sure that I do a better job at my Full Service Checkout too. My Hospitality Director makes a point to talk about any of the higher maintenance products with the guest on an individual basis when the order is taken. For example, she'll give some pointers about using the kitchen spritzer if someone orders it, or make sure they know how to use it. I'll have to make sure I cover that at check out, because it's never a guarantee that I'll get them on the phone during my Big MACs or talk to them before they use their products with my Out of the Box calls.

Di - thank goodness it worked! I have made that mistake myself in leaving out something. The hard part is that we don't want to go through all the product use and care instructions at a show! So I ALWAYS carry a use and Care Card with me and I make sure I tell everyone sitting there what these are and that they MUST read them completely. I tell them if a product is not used or taken care of the way the card says it needs to be, that it will void the warranty and I would hate to have them stuck with something they can not return or use.

I have had customers ask me about putting knives in the dishwasher many times, and my response is always (in a humorous yet "educational" tone), "Well, I don't know about you, but if I'm going to spend a decent amount of money on knives or cookware, I'm also going to protect their quality by taking the time to handwash them...." It seems to make sense to the people I've said it to.

In my understanding that when you put a knife in a dishwasher the soap and the hot water, the extended time spent in there, plus the hard water (if any) makes the conditions so bad that it can deteriorate the material itself. It might not be apparent at firts, and it might not rust, but the quality is ruined. The knife needs more sharpening and will not keep it's sharpness as long. I do stress this important information at EVERY party. Also this is a great time to talk about the non stick cookware as well. I tell them the any knife should never go to the dishwasher. Except cheaper steak and butter knives. And i am quite shocked that is not obvious to everyone. I know how it goes because my SIL is still putting her kniwes in the DW.

Mine have all gone through the DW from the family washing the dishes, even after "snapping" at them many times. Mine are all gray. I'll try some of the suggestions though. I emphasize the no DW rule at all my shows.

I found this explanation at http://www.chefschoice.com/tips_myth_all.html
There were quite a few explanations of knife myths here.

Washing sharp knives in the dishwasher can be hazardous to the knife, the dishwasher and the cook! It is too easy to reach into a dishwasher and get a nasty cut. Sharp knives can knick plastic-coated wire shelves and other utensils. The force of the water can dull knife-edges by pushing them against shelves or utensils. The combination of hot water and the chemicals in dishwasher detergent can leave stains on stainless steel cutlery that comes in contact with silver or silver-plated flatware or copper. (These stains don't effect the knife's performance)

None of the metal alloys used in knives are truly "stain-free" or "stainless." Most are stain-resistant. Stainless steel knives should never be soaked for lengthy periods or put in high-concentration bleach solutions or salt water. Primarily for safety reasons, stainless steel knives should not be washed in the dishwasher. A stainless knife placed in contact with a metal pan or utensil can pick up a stain due to the chemical reaction of the two metal items in combination with hot water and dishwasher detergent. Such stains do not affect performance

chefcharity said:
I found this explanation at http://www.chefschoice.com/tips_myth_all.html
There were quite a few explanations of knife myths here.

Washing sharp knives in the dishwasher can be hazardous to the knife, the dishwasher and the cook! It is too easy to reach into a dishwasher and get a nasty cut. Sharp knives can knick plastic-coated wire shelves and other utensils. The force of the water can dull knife-edges by pushing them against shelves or utensils. The combination of hot water and the chemicals in dishwasher detergent can leave stains on stainless steel cutlery that comes in contact with silver or silver-plated flatware or copper. (These stains don't effect the knife's performance)

None of the metal alloys used in knives are truly "stain-free" or "stainless." Most are stain-resistant. Stainless steel knives should never be soaked for lengthy periods or put in high-concentration bleach solutions or salt water. Primarily for safety reasons, stainless steel knives should not be washed in the dishwasher. A stainless knife placed in contact with a metal pan or utensil can pick up a stain due to the chemical reaction of the two metal items in combination with hot water and dishwasher detergent. Such stains do not affect performance

In other words, one run through the dishwasher doesn't render them useless, but continued dishwasher use can make the knives deteriorate faster than they should. :D

sklay723 said:
I have had customers ask me about putting knives in the dishwasher many times, and my response is always (in a humorous yet "educational" tone), "Well, I don't know about you, but if I'm going to spend a decent amount of money on knives or cookware, I'm also going to protect their quality by taking the time to handwash them...." It seems to make sense to the people I've said it to.

I say something similar. It disarms them immediately.

Related to Why Did Dishwashing Turn Knife Handles Gray?

1. What does "forged" mean when referring to cutlery?

Forged cutlery is made by heating a solid piece of steel and then shaping it into a knife blade using a hammer or press. This process creates a stronger and more durable blade compared to cutlery that is stamped from a sheet of steel.

2. Are the gray handles on Pampered Chef forged cutlery made of a different material?

No, the gray handles on our forged cutlery are made of the same high-quality material as the rest of the knife. The color is simply a result of the forging process and does not affect the performance or durability of the knife.

3. Will the gray handle fade or chip over time?

No, the gray handle is made with a durable resin that is heat and impact resistant. It will not fade or chip with regular use and proper care.

4. Are the gray handles on Pampered Chef forged cutlery dishwasher safe?

Yes, our forged cutlery is dishwasher safe, including the gray handles. However, we recommend hand washing to prolong the life of the knife and maintain its sharpness.

5. Can I purchase replacement gray handles for my Pampered Chef forged cutlery?

Yes, we offer replacement handles for our forged cutlery. You can purchase them through our website or by contacting our customer service team.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • vanscootin
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies