• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's the Rule of Thumb for Avoiding Dark Photos on Sunny Days?

In summary, the sun should always be behind the camera to get clear pictures of your family. If you don't know how to make the adjustments for back lighting, the simple rule of thumb is the sun should always be behind the camera. Shooting into the sun will result in the subject being dark. Also, never shoot into a window or doorway where the light behind the window or door is bright.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Okay I have a fairly decent camera that I paid good money for but I suck at photography. All I'm asking for is clear pictures of my family. It looks great on the screen, I take the pic and it comes back all dark because of shadows. So my question is what is the rule of thumb? Is the sun supposed to be behind the photographer or the subject? I can never remember and must be doing the same thing over and over because the darn pictures are dark at their faces and sunny all around them.

We leave on a mini vacation tomorrow for 5 days and I want to get it right this time!!!!! :cry::cry:

If you don't know how to make the adjustments for what is called "back lighting" then the simple rule of thumb is the sun should always be behind the camera. Shooting into the sun will result in the subject being dark. Also, never shoot into a window or doorway where the light behind the window or door is bright. That's called "backlighting" and the camera will adjust for that light, making everything in front of it very dark.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
If you don't know how to make the adjustments for what is called "back lighting" then the simple rule of thumb is the sun should always be behind the camera. Shooting into the sun will result in the subject being dark.

Also, never shoot into a window or doorway where the light behind the window or door is bright. That's called "backlighting" and the camera will adjust for that light, making everything in front of it very dark.

LOL...I know nothing except point and click :rolleyes: but thank you soooo much KG that's exactly what I needed to know - sun behind the camera not the subject! Woohoo, I'm gonna take some pictures, I'm gonna take some pictures, I'm gonna take some pictures ..... and HOPEFULLY they'll turn out! :sing:

BTW, the proper time to practice with your camera before you leave on vacation tomorrow is about two weeks ago.That said, you might try this website that offers some basic camera knowledge.

I always remember that rule cuz everytime my mom took pictures of us outside...I can remember my eyes watering from having the sun in my face! So...remember to keep whoever you are taking the picture of "uncomfortable" like my brother and I had to be!! lol

If you can find open shade, that is the best place to shoot. Under a big shady tree, in the shade of a tall building, etc. If you are shooting in the sun, you can have the sun anywhere, but if you are shooting into the sun, turn on your flash (you should be able manually override the auto flash and make it go), so that the flash fills in the faces even though the sun is in the background. You can also have the sun to your side but depending on where the sun it, you might up with dark shadows on half the face/body.

Backlighting can actually make for some very stunning and powerful images... such as a beach at sunset. Where are you going on vacation?

PampChefJoy said:
If you can find open shade, that is the best place to shoot. Under a big shady tree, in the shade of a tall building, etc. If you are shooting in the sun, you can have the sun anywhere, but if you are shooting into the sun, turn on your flash (you should be able manually override the auto flash and make it go), so that the flash fills in the faces even though the sun is in the background. You can also have the sun to your side but depending on where the sun it, you might up with dark shadows on half the face/body.

Backlighting can actually make for some very stunning and powerful images... such as a beach at sunset. Where are you going on vacation?

Wow so much to learn/remember! Thanks Joy I'm going to print this thread out and practice/study, study, study.

We're heading to Lake George NY. We go every year to this wonderful campground. Quiet lake, lazy river, in the woods, with the mountains in the background. Then of course to appease the children we'll spend one day at Six Flags. It's about 6 - 7 hours from our place here in south eastern Ontario.

Sounds lovely! You should be able to find lots of open shade in the woods (watch out for dappled sunlight though). What kind of camera do you have? Does it have manual settings?

LOL I have NO idea. We had a Canon something or other that broke on us and DH just bought one two days ago and spent good money on it. It's an early anniversary present to us since our 15th anniversary is this upcoming Thursday. However he's taken it to my son's last day at goalie camp an hour a way from here. I DO know it has manual settings though since DH was talking about those last night.

Like Joy said, if you do have shadows on their faces, force the flash on.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
the simple rule of thumb is the sun should always be behind the camera. Shooting into the sun will result in the subject being dark. Also, never shoot into a window or doorway where the light behind the window or door is bright. That's called "backlighting" and the camera will adjust for that light, making everything in front of it very dark.
Yup these are good rules togo by, also invest in a good photo editor and use software to 'fake' the back lighting. Adobe Lightroom is great and cheap, I thnk even free, picasa is another good one from Google..then there's the heavy duty Photoshop, which is the one use. good luck.:)

There is probably not enough time to give you a crash course in manual settings, but definitely see how you can force the flash on... if it's an SLR (40D, Rebel XTi or XSi), then there is a little button on the side with a little lightning bolt -- push that to pop the flash up.

If you have a point and shoot, like an Elph or Powershot, then you have to go into menu and cycle through until you see the lightning bolt option... make sure it's not on "auto" but on the lightning bolt. Auto will turn it off in sunlight.

PampChefJoy said:
There is probably not enough time to give you a crash course in manual settings, but definitely see how you can force the flash on... if it's an SLR (40D, Rebel XTi or XSi), then there is a little button on the side with a little lightning bolt -- push that to pop the flash up.

If you have a point and shoot, like an Elph or Powershot, then you have to go into menu and cycle through until you see the lightning bolt option... make sure it's not on "auto" but on the lightning bolt. Auto will turn it off in sunlight.

Woohoo! Even I understand that! I think I need to let DH drive a little tomorrow so I can play/practice. Usually I drive (control thing) and he sleeps but he may just have to help out tomorrow. Thanks Joy! Back to packing I go..

Related to What's the Rule of Thumb for Avoiding Dark Photos on Sunny Days?

1. How do I take better photos with my phone?

There are a few tips to keep in mind when taking photos with your phone. First, make sure your lens is clean and free of smudges. Then, adjust the exposure and focus by tapping on the screen before taking the photo. Utilize natural lighting and avoid using the flash whenever possible. Lastly, try different angles and compositions to add interest to your photos.

2. What is the best camera for beginners?

There are many great options for beginner photographers, but some popular choices include the Canon EOS Rebel series and the Nikon D3500. These cameras have user-friendly interfaces and offer good image quality for their price range. It's also important to consider what type of photography you will be doing to determine the best fit for you.

3. How can I improve my composition in photos?

Composition is a key element in creating visually appealing photos. Some tips for improving composition include utilizing the rule of thirds, framing your subject, and paying attention to leading lines and symmetry. Practice and experimentation are also important in finding your own unique style.

4. What are some essential accessories for photographers?

Some essential accessories for photographers include a tripod for stability, extra batteries and memory cards, a lens cleaning kit, and a camera bag for storage and protection. Depending on the type of photography you do, you may also want to invest in additional lenses or lighting equipment.

5. How can I protect my photos from being stolen online?

Unfortunately, online photo theft is a common issue for photographers. To protect your photos, you can add a watermark or copyright symbol to your images, adjust your privacy settings on social media platforms, and use a reverse image search tool to monitor where your photos are being used. It's also a good idea to include a copyright notice on your website or in the metadata of your photos.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy