• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Paris Hilton Sentenced to 45 Days in Jail for Probation Violation

In summary, despite being a celebrity, Paris Hilton was sentenced to 45 days in jail for violating probation by driving with a suspended license. She will not be able to serve her time through alternative methods or choose which jail she will go to. Her mother was upset with the judge's decision and her lawyer plans to appeal. Hilton will be living in a small cell and will have limited privileges as a high-profile inmate. There is concern that her release from jail will bring more media attention and she is not seen as a good role model for young people.
Kathytnt
Now That's Hot - I know I may be a terrible person but I am pleased that the justice system is not giving the spoiled brat of the Hilton clan a free ride. She has thumbed her nose at them and had plenty of time and opportunity to follow the simple rules of her probation and wouldn't do what she was suppose to do. I guess I am just tired of this celebrity types having every advantage and abusine the system. Unfortunately there are a lot of young kids that look up to them for some unknown reason.

-------------

By DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 21 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Paris Hilton worked as a farmer and maid on her TV show "The Simple Life." Now she's facing a real-life hardship in her latest role: jail inmate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hilton, who parlayed her name and relentless partying into worldwide notoriety, was sentenced Friday to 45 days in county jail for violating probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case by driving with a suspended license.

As an inmate, she might have to spend most of her day in a cell smaller than her closet — her only luxury escape a short period to shower, watch TV, exercise or talk on the phone.

"I'm very sorry and from now on I'm going to pay complete attention to everything. I'm sorry and I did not do it on purpose at all," Hilton, 26, told a judge before the sentencing.

Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer, saying "there's no doubt she knew her license had been suspended," ordered that Hilton report to a women's jail in suburban Lynwood by June 5.

The judge's ruling did not allow any work release, furloughs, use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail. Nor could Hilton pay to serve time in a jail of her choice, as some are allowed.

Hilton left the courtroom with her parents, Kathy and Rick, and headed straight to their car. She looked forward and didn't speak to a crush of reporters and photographers shouting questions at her.

Her mother was visibly upset.

"This is pathetic and disgusting, a waste of taxpayer money with all this nonsense. This is a joke," Kathy Hilton said of the judge's decision.

Defense attorney Howard Weitzman said he would appeal.

"I'm shocked, I'm surprised and really disheartened in the system that I've worked in for close to 40 years," Weitzman said.

He said the sentence was "uncalled for, inappropriate and bordered on the ludicrous."

"I think she's singled out because of who she is," Weitzman said.

City attorney spokesman Nick Velasquez said that the judge's ruling "sends a clear message that in the city of Los Angeles, no one is above the law."

Hilton pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. Police said she appeared intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. She had a blood-alcohol level of .08 percent, the level at which an adult driver is in violation of the law.

She was sentenced to 36 months probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

Two other traffic stops and failure to enroll in a mandated alcohol education program landed her back in court.

Should she report to the Century Regional Detention Center, Hilton will be living in a one- or two-person cell as a high-profile inmate, segregated from the general population for her own safety.

Her cell would be spartan: 12-by-8 feet with a toilet, sink and a window 6 inches wide, said Capt. Alice Scott, who oversees the 2,200-inmate facility she describes as "a very nice place."

Hilton can expect to receive three low-sodium meals a day, with dinner the only hot meal.

Inmates in segregation are allowed outside their cells for at least an hour each day to shower, watch television in the day room, participate in outdoor recreation or talk on the telephone, Scott said. There are a bank of phones that use prepaid phone cards — cellular telephones and Blackberries aren't allowed.

She was ordered to report to the jail by the set date — or face 90 days behind bars.

Last edited:
I'm with ya, Kathy! The law in this country is supposed to apply to everyone...regardless of your social status. I'm impressed that this judge stood his ground and sentenced the princess to her fair punishment. The sad thing is, is that when she gets out, all the media attention will be on her again. Paris Hilton is not a good role model for today's youth, IMHO. I don't know why she is even in the public eye - I mean, seriously...what exactly does she do? Just because her last name is Hilton, is no reason for her to be able to break the law. I hope she learns something from all this. (I doubt it, but maybe) Just my 2 cents!

I think the saddest, and most shocking thing is that she is 26 yrs old!!! I know that there are so many just right here on this board who are that age and younger who are leading productive, rewarding lives - some single, some married, some raising children....all working and giving back. And I think of all those in the military who are that age and younger who face harm everyday, with courage and a sense of purpose.....It's sad to think that someone who has had every opportunity is still, at that age, acting like a juvenile delinquent! I guess it goes to prove that money isn't everything!

Priceless................................

Unfortunately this generation of 'Stars' doesn't seem to have the philanthropic soul that the older generation of celebs. I use the term 'Star' loosely because so many of these new celebs doesn't really have any talent except personal PR

There is now a petition that over 900 people have signed to send to Gov. Arnold get Paris pardoned for her unjustified and cruel punishment. If someone sees the opposite petition please let me know.

-----

Here is the petition

The Honorable Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Paris Whitney Hilton is an American celebrity and socialite. She is an heiress to a share of the Hilton Hotel fortune, as well as to the real estate fortune of her father Richard Hilton. She provides hope for young people all over the U.S. and the world. She provides beauty and excitement to (most of) our otherwise mundane lives.

Hilton is notable for her leading roles on the FOX reality series The Simple Life and in the remake of the Vincent Price horror classic "House of Wax". In addition to her work as an actress, she has achieved some recognition as a model, celebrity spokesperson, singer, and writer.

As most of America now knows, Ms. Hilton was just charged in a Los Angeles court with DUI and sentenced to 45 days in Century Regional Detention Facility in California beginning on or before June 5, 2007.

We, the American public who support Paris, are shocked, dismayed and appalled by how Paris has been the person to be used as an example that Drunk Driving is wrong. We do not support drunk driving or DUI charges. Paris should have been sober. But she shouldn't go to jail, either.

As depicted on Friday night's episode "Nancy Grace" on Headline News (May 4, 2007), countless celebrities have been "slapped on the wrist" for similar incidents recently. Nick Nolte, Mel Gibson, Tracy Morgan, Wynonna Judd, to name a few, were arrested and never did a day in jail after their initial arrests for drunk driving /DUI /DWI charges. Rappers Busta Rhymes and Eve still walk free after both being arrested for the same charges as Ms. Hilton just this past week. Brandy's California Highway accident, although no proof of DUI was evidenced in her accident, resulting in the death of a young wife and mother in California, yet Brandy walks free as of today, never doing any time and A WOMAN HAS BEEN KILLED most likely due to her reckless driving!

Yet, Paris Hilton did not hurt, injure, or kill anyone or anything, and yet she must do jail time.

This petition is to ask Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to pardon Paris Hilton for her mistake. Please allow her to her return to her career and life. Everyone makes mistakes. She didn't hurt or kill anyone, and she has learned her lesson. She is sincere, apologetic, and full of regret for her actions as she explained tearfully to the Judge handling her case in court yesterday.She is distraught and understandably afraid.

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT to save our Paris from ending up at the Century Regional Detention Facility! Please sign to tell The Honorable Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of the State of California, to think about the welfare of this young woman who has made a mortal error and deserves a second chance like so many others in our great nation have been served with after a mistake they have made . If the late Former President Gerald Ford could find it in his heart to pardon the late Former President Richard Nixon after his mistake(s), we undeniably support Paris Hilton being pardoned for her honest mistake as well, and we hope and expect The Governor will understand and grant this unusual but important request in good faith to Ms. Paris Whitney Hilton.

There are some good points in here, but give me a break! If Paris Hilton gives our young people hope, we're in big trouble. LOL!

I think Paris Hilton is trash. Money or not. She has no class and sends the women's movement back 200 years with her antics and general lack of respect for herself. If young people want a mentor they should look to Maya Angelou, Susan B Anthony, Eleanor Roosevelt or many of the other women in history who set a much better example.

I think Mrs. Hilton would feel differently if someonein her family was hit by a drunk driver. I understand people make mistakes and should be forgiven, but my Dad was hit by a drunk driver. He survived but it was a long road of recovery. The other driver (the drunk) was killed and his son was left mentally disabled. Then the family had the nerve to try and sue my Dad.

I don't think Paris should be set as an example but she has had ample opportunity and been caught DUI twice. She has been walking around without begin put in jail just like the others. I am sure the other trials have not been completed. It's nothing person about Paris - I am tired of ALL celebrities getting a slap on the wrist. Most at least TRY to show up to court on time and do the things the court asks them to. She signs thing she doesn't even read. HELLO EARTH TO PARIS You never sign a document that you don't understand. Her mother talks about how unfair it is BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! You raised the world's biggest, most thoughtless, self-centered spoiled brat.

I think it's sad that she's looked up to by so many young people. What is there to look up to?? Nothing in my opinion.

I'm teaching my girls to be smart, strong and independent and she's teaching the youth of america to be a dumb, socialite who smiles and flirts or flashes and gets away with anything.

She's lucky in all these incidents that she didn't hurt anyone.

As a person who lost someone very very close to me, just over a month before my wedding 9 years ago, it's sick what DUI offenders of EVERY kind get away with!!

She made a big deal of saying she couldn't be held responsible, as her personal assistant told her it was ok, well she is 26, didn't see listen to the judge the first time??

She doesn't open her mail or pay her bills, so WHY does she drive her own car?? She should hire someone to do that, as she doesn't do anything for herself, but get into trouble.

Sorry, it just ticks me off when as someone else mentioned here, they know people her age who are working and trying to make something of their lives and then we've got Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie's of the world and THEY are glamorized!! That's what's wrong with this world, people focus on popular things not moral things!!

Getting off my soapbox now.

Lisa

The worse part of her "gee, I don't deserve this" act is that she didn't have the form signed by her explained well enough! Well, in my opinion, ignorance of the law is no justification for not getting punished for something you do. Too bad the judge didn't do like that other judge did...make Paris wear a sign, with her crime on it. Can you see her standing on a Beverly Hills Street, (like that other person who stole from Wal-Mart had to), with a sign that said, "I'm a bad driverf"? Only, would it say, "I didn't read the instructions"?

Trish in Texas
Ind. Consultant

Not only was Paris Hilton driving drunk but she was driving with a suspened license, AND she was on probation for a previous arrest of drunk driving. This was not the first time she was pulled over for being drunk and driving. She isn't innocent she just thinks we are all idiots.

Chef_2_Four said:
Not only was Paris Hilton driving drunk but she was driving with a suspened license, AND she was on probation for a previous arrest of drunk driving. This was not the first time she was pulled over for being drunk and driving. She isn't innocent she just thinks we are all idiots.
Right! Hey, let's be honest... with the way the laws are (at least in NJ anyway), we could all go out to dinner, have two glasses of wine and be considered legally drunk. One time, sure its serious, and you all know how I feel but I can almost understand, but a few times... c'mon... check into rehad already.

Let's start a petition for The Governator to uphold the sentance and not to pardon her.

I'm pleased to see this spoiled brat do something real for the first time in her life. She's an opportunist -- she should take advantage of this time to make herself look better.

Heck -- I used to HATE Martha, but she did her time, and she's more real to me now. Now I actually somewhat enjoy watching her and have a certain level of respect for her. Of course she actually has talent, has worked hard and is a very smart business woman.

Paris is just a socialite that makes the world prettier for us unbeautiful people apparantly. WHATEVER -- she's a BIRDGRIL!

You're right, Jennifer!

And Martha I think has softened a bit after her ordeal. I think people can relate to her more now because we know she isn't perfect. I do love her simple, classic style and some of those recipes! Did you know that everyday Martha herself cleans out her horse stables and chicken coops? Amazing.

Anne, When you said that Martha cleans out her own stalls, I had a mental image of Paris cleaning stalls, and laughed. I can see her standing there in designer riding gear, pointing at somebody she hired, telling them what to do, but can not even imagine her doing it herself.

If this were anyone else, she would have already done her jail time. If she were to harm someone, there would be a public outcry that something should have been done to stop her. No, she didn't actually hurt anyone this time, but she was breaking the law in such a way that it put other people's lives in jeopardy. The slack she was given was due to her celebrity. The sentence is just. She needs to stop whining, pull up her big girl (size 0?) panties, and deal with it.

Well if she is late for her next court date the jail time doubles - Memo to Paris don't irritate the judge

1. What was Paris Hilton sentenced for?

Paris Hilton was sentenced to 45 days in jail for violating her probation. She had previously been arrested for driving under the influence and was required to complete probation, which she failed to do.

2. How long will Paris Hilton be in jail?

Paris Hilton was sentenced to 45 days in jail, but due to overcrowding in the prison system, she was released after only 23 days.

3. Was this Paris Hilton's first time going to jail?

No, this was not Paris Hilton's first time going to jail. She had previously served a short sentence in 2007 for violating her probation from the DUI charge.

4. Will Paris Hilton serve her entire sentence in jail?

No, Paris Hilton was released early due to overcrowding in the prison system. She served a little over half of her 45-day sentence.

5. What impact did Paris Hilton's sentence have on her career?

Paris Hilton's sentence did not have a major impact on her career. She continued to work and make public appearances after her release from jail. However, she did face some negative backlash and criticism from the media and the public.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
krzymomof4
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies