• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why is Paris Hilton's 3 week jail sentence making headlines again?

In summary, Paris Hilton started her 3 week sentence for parol violation today. She will probably turn it into a reality TV shows.
jrstephens
Remind me why I care that Paris Hilton started her 3 week sentence for parol violation today! When is the last time you heard of a real person getting three weeks! Come on – she will probably turn it into a reality TV shows. I bet she ain’t got to Big Bertha in the cell with her!!!! Enough coverage already! And poor thing what she turned herself in AFTER attending the MTV Awards or some kind of awards anyway.

My thoughts exactly! I've had enough of her and reality tv shows in general and the "stars" they have created!

The quote on heard on the radio from her went something like this, "I could go to the 'pay' jail but decided not too. I've been in the media so much and look so bad for wanting special attention, I decided to serve my time in the Los Angelese???? county jail." So she just might be next to Big Bertha. Ha.

Since when do criminals get to decide themselves which jail they serve their time in? That is just stupid!

katie0128 said:
Since when do criminals get to decide themselves which jail they serve their time in? That is just stupid!
They don't... she is blowing hot air. It is up to the judge not to the convict.

The judge already ruled that she goes to a REGULAR jail. BUT she's in the special cells - not in with the general population.

Crazy attention-grabbing woman. :mad:

She probably even took her dog!

Actually, she could have paid to go to another jail. There is a choice available in California.

Hope she learned a lesson, but I see a "made for TV" movie and a book in her future....any ideas for Titles???

She could have gone to a 'pay' jail if she had not ticked off the judge. Celebs and special folks can pay room and board ($85 a day) to go to a jail in a smaller town. It's what Zsa Zsa and soem other did but since Paris kept violating her probation and showing up late for court that option had been taken away already.

I like reality shows like American Idol where there is some talent involved and my other favorite is Biggest Loser It helps motivate me on my diet although I know I cannot possibly lose as much weight as those folk do each week. Wish is was back on right now - I need encouragement!

Why is it that some people think they are above pay for their crimes???? She committed a crime/crimes. She should have thought about jail before she did the crime. PLEEEEEEEEEEEAS! I wish the media would not even cover this type of "news".

OMGoodness I just heard a report on what her schedule is..waht time she has to get up, what time she eats her three meals. Do I Care? There was nothing said about hard labor, but these with the air conditioned cells and gymns these days there is no hard labor for criminals anymore.

Janice ---

Movie title..."Paris does Prison" Only kidding:) Sorry...I couldn't resist!

beepampered said:
The quote on heard on the radio from her went something like this, "I could go to the 'pay' jail but decided not too. I've been in the media so much and look so bad for wanting special attention, I decided to serve my time in the Los Angelese???? county jail." So she just might be next to Big Bertha. Ha.
I wish! But she's not! She's in a special unit that is just for actors, police officers, gov't officials and the such. The 'SPECIAL' class! Give me a break!
I read that she's in a cell by herself too. So basically she's been grounded! :eek: :rolleyes: We're harder on our own kids when they are grounded! NO TV, no phone, no fun. She get's to watch tv for an hour, or use the phone, that's when she'll take her shower and get outside time and activities. My kids don't get to go out to play when their grounded either!
Whatever!:mad:

Kathytnt said:
She could have gone to a 'pay' jail if she had not ticked off the judge. Celebs and special folks can pay room and board ($85 a day) to go to a jail in a smaller town. It's what Zsa Zsa and soem other did but since Paris kept violating her probation and showing up late for court that option had been taken away already.

I like reality shows like American Idol where there is some talent involved and my other favorite is Biggest Loser It helps motivate me on my diet although I know I cannot possibly lose as much weight as those folk do each week. Wish is was back on right now - I need encouragement!
There's a health thread on here, and I love that kind of thing. I'll be here to encourage you because it keeps me accountable as I encourage others to live healthier.

jrstephens said:
OMGoodness I just heard a report on what her schedule is..waht time she has to get up, what time she eats her three meals. Do I Care? There was nothing said about hard labor, but these with the air conditioned cells and gymns these days there is no hard labor for criminals anymore.
Paris Hilton is such a spoiled child, BUT don't you think it would be better for tax payers not to have to pay for her stay in prison? Couldn't she have been put on some degrading and humbling community service duty and house arrest and have to pay a HUGE fine? I know she is humiliated and scared about jail, and it is probably awful, but community service would have not cost tax payers money, and it could have saved money for the community if she was made to clean up jail cells or something.

jwpamp said:
Actually, she could have paid to go to another jail. There is a choice available in California.

Hope she learned a lesson, but I see a "made for TV" movie and a book in her future....any ideas for Titles???

No, not yet on titles, but she'll probably have some charity to help the poor immates update their living conditions to Hilton style...

...makes me wish more and more my request for the Sheraton would go through so I don't have to stay at the Hilton...

JAE said:
Paris Hilton is such a spoiled child, BUT don't you think it would be better for tax payers not to have to pay for her stay in prison? Couldn't she have been put on some degrading and humbling community service duty and house arrest and have to pay a HUGE fine? I know she is humiliated and scared about jail, and it is probably awful, but community service would have not cost tax payers money, and it could have saved money for the community if she was made to clean up jail cells or something.

Cleaning toilets sounds good to me - outdoor ones for everyone to see! Personally, I do not think she is humiliated by the jail time. I think it is all a big joke to her and just more press time too. People like her are not humiliated by much of anything in my opinion - unless it is having to go without makeup, wear no-name brand clothes and drive a beat up car!!! As rich as she is I do not think the huge fine would have affected her either, but it would help the community to have more money in the banks.

jwpamp said:
............ but I see a "made for TV" movie and a book in her future....any ideas for Titles???

From Hilton to Bertha.

Flip the Jail - Hilton Style

What they don't have infiimaries to take care of health issues - I guess she gets back to her blackberry and cell phones and parties

LOS ANGELES - Paris Hilton was released from a Los Angeles County jail early Thursday because of an unspecified medical problem and will fulfill the remainder of her sentence for probation violation in home confinement, a sheriff's spokesman said.

The 26-year-old hotel heiress was sent home shortly after 2 a.m. wearing an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet, sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

Hilton was sentenced to 45 days for violating her probation in a reckless driving case, but had been expected to serve 23 days in jail because of state rules allowing shorter sentences for good behavior.

She ended up spending three full days at the all-women's facility in Lynwood, but because she checked in late Sunday and left early Thursday, authorities credited her with five days of time served. She'll be confined to her Hollywood Hills home for 40 days.

"I can't specifically talk about the medical situation other than to say that yes, it played a part in this," Whitmore said.

Hutton didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Thursday. Nor did her publicist, Elliot Mintz.

Whitmore refused to answer questions from reporters when asked if the medical condition was physical or psychological. He said it was not a staph infection. The jail provided Hilton with a pamphlet on the skin infection when she checked in.

The conditions of Hilton's home confinement were not immediately disclosed. Whitmore referred all questions to the L.A. County Probation Department. Messages left for the person handling media calls weren't immediately returned.

Hilton had surrendered to authorities with little fanfare late Sunday after a surprise appearance at the MTV Movie Awards, where she worked the red carpet in a strapless designer gown.

"I am trying to be strong right now," she told reporters at the time. "I'm ready to face my sentence. Even though this is a really hard time, I have my family, my friends and my fans to support me, and that's really helpful."

Hilton was housed in the "special needs" unit of the 13-year-old jail, separate from most of its 2,200 inmates. The unit contains 12 two-person cells reserved for police officers, public officials, celebrities and other high-profile inmates. She didn't have a cellmate.

Hilton's lawyer, Richard A. Hutton, said Monday after his client's first night in jail that she was doing well under the circumstances.

"She's using this time to reflect on her life, to see what she can do to make the world better and hopefully, in my opinion, to change the attitudes that exist about her among many people," Hutton said after visiting Hilton.

When Hilton was sentenced May 4, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ruled she would not be allowed any work release, furloughs or use of an alternative jail or electronic monitoring in lieu of jail.

Whitmore said Thursday that Sauer "was consulted and he was advised."

Officers arrested Hilton in Hollywood on Sept. 7. In January, she pleaded no contest to the reckless-driving charge and was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

She was pulled over by California Highway Patrol on Jan. 15. Officers informed Hilton she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging she was not to drive. She then was pulled over by sheriff's deputies on Feb. 27, at which time she was charged with violating probation.

Excuse my French but this is SUCH BULLSHIT. Just cause she is a rich celebrity she does not have to abide by the same laws as the rest of us?!?!!? INSANE.

I read somewhere yesterday that she could be heard sobbing all day and night the first two days she was there. That is probably her "health issue", she is under psychological distress.

Of course, how many other THOUSANDS of new inmates do the exact same thing? I doubt they are being released with an ankle bracelet.

She's supposed to be on house arrest for the next 40 days. Wonder how long until we see her out and about and when questioned she'll say that she wasn't aware that she couldn't go out!

What I would really love to happen is that everybody stops caring about her while she'd under house arrest and we never have to hear about her again. Ever.

but, alas, we live in a less than perfect world.

She just needs to pull up her big girl panties and deal with the consequences of her actions and go back to jail!

Ann R.

Did you see Letterman last night? He had on Nicole Ritchie... apparently SHE has gotten into some trouble (big surprise, huh?) that might involve jail time was well. But of course, in a well scripted response, she accepts responsbility for her actions and whatever consequenses comes with that... WHATEVER!

I will be the first to admit that I think all of this is whacko. However, when I heard that she was indeed going to jail I found myself praying for her and hoping that she will take the quiet time to relax and reflect. Of course she seems to be a spoiled brat to all of us but I really do think she has lost any touch with reality. Unfortunately she was released today so she did not have the common sense to stay in. You have to wonder really what goes on in her head. I would think that she would have realized in there that it was actually nice not have to deal with cell phones, paparazzi, friends, media, managers etc. I can not even imagine how chaotic her life is.

luvs2sellit said:
I will be the first to admit that I think all of this is whacko. However, when I heard that she was indeed going to jail I found myself praying for her and hoping that she will take the quiet time to relax and reflect. Of course she seems to be a spoiled brat to all of us but I really do think she has lost any touch with reality. Unfortunately she was released today so she did not have the common sense to stay in. You have to wonder really what goes on in her head. I would think that she would have realized in there that it was actually nice not have to deal with cell phones, paparazzi, friends, media, managers etc. I can not even imagine how chaotic her life is.

I agree....if she would have stayed it would have probably been LESS than the 23 days but now she is supposed :rolleyes: to be on house arrest for 40 days! Maybe she wasn't able to do the math :p and realize it'd be quicker to just stay in. I, too, would probably appreciate a little quiet time. She had said that this would be the first time she was ever alone. That in itself is sad.

I bet being under house arrest in her house is a real damper! No telling how many pools she's got. And I am sure her maid will be there to cook and clean. I heard them say on the radio "she would not be able to go to any parties" Poor thing! I am sure the party will come to her!!

She had said that this would be the first time she was ever alone. That in itself is sad.
I agree that is very sad.

I am just furious how this is all playing out. Can you imagine people who are convicted of similar crimes, I would like the Paris sentence please. LOL

No parties, yeah right. Her maid will be doing all the organizing, cleaning, and poor thing probably won't get paid any extra for all this extra work.

Puh-leeze!! Medical condition--what a bunch of bs!
I found myself empathisizing with her when she did, in fact, go to jail and also thought what a great time of soul searching this would be for her. She had even mentioned on the red carpet hours before she turned herself in that she was choosing to go to this jail to show people that she is not who people read about but that she is a good, normal person.
But now? She couldn't even handle 3 days in jail and has shown what she is truly made of. The word is out that, while PH may be at arm's length of couture and stylists, in reality she does not possess the inner strength and qualities needed to keep her chin up and sustain herself through a 'hard' time.

What a joke. I just heard this story on the news. Absolute joke. poor spoiled rotten little rich girl...she's learned nothing from all of this...only that if she cries and whines enough, she'll continue to get her own way. Makes me sick. 'nuff said.

Ahhhh....a new phrase arises from this craziness --

Pulling a Paris!

Ha!:rolleyes:

But remember this is the same state that lets people get away with murder (OJ - anyone?) - I can't believe this is actual news - I'd love to be under house arrest in her house:)

Latest update!Now the Judge that sentenced her has ordered her to court tomorrow morning! Seems that his original sentence specifically stated that she could not serve it under house arrest. They have received over 400 angry emails and phone calls. This saga just keeps going!!

The funny thing is there was a time (when my kids were little), that 23 days ALL BY MYSELF would have sounded like a great idea!! Not sure about the bologna sandwich for lunch....oh wait, when they were little that's what we ate :D or peanut butter!

And remind me why this stupidity is actually worth of air time and is referred to as "news"? I keep forgetting!

It's sad that someone like Paris Hilton, who has unlimited funds and gets LOTS of exposure (ha, no pun intended!), wastes her life on what I would consider "fluff". She could use her voice and raise awareness for worthy causes. If she can't think of any, I have two beautiful nephews with autism.

Autism affects 1 in 166 and receives $15 million in private funding.
Leukemia affects 1 in 25,000 and receives $310 million.

Come on, Paris. Put your money to better use than the latest fashions and paying fancy lawyers to get your butt out of jail!

(Stepping off of soapbox....good night!)

My son is borderline Aspergers and my husband's cousin's son does have Aspergers, so I know what you mean about funding...

I, too, have a nephew with a spectrum of autism - I totally agree - why so much publicity is wasted on these celebrities - I don't understand!

My sister gave me a blue puzzle piece pin (Autism Speaks). It came with a little card where I got the stats. It blew me away that autism research gets so little funding yet more children are affected by it. Sorry for the thread hijack but here's something to look at:

Leukemia affects 1 in 25,000/Funding $310 million.
Muscular Dystrophy affects 1 in 20,000/Funding $175 million.
Pediatric AIDS affects 1 in 8,000/Funding $394 million.
Juvenile Diabetes affects 1 in 500/Funding $130 million.
Autism affects 1 in 166/Funding $15 million.

More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than AIDS, diabetes, and cancer COMBINED! As much as Angelina Jolie irriates me :) at least she uses her celebrity to raise awareness for legitimate causes. There are even some celebs that I feel are volunteering just for the exposure but at least they are making an effort! PH seems to have only one cause....herself.

I'd like to know what Scooter Libby is going through. 3 days should have been enough for him.

Last edited:
And the story continues and she is sent back to jail - The Sheriff is jerk in my opinion and making things worse. I can't beleive I am saying this but now I am starting to feeling a bit sorry for Paris because it is looking like she is getting rough treatment (yo-yo) because the Sherriff and the Judge and proecutors have a difference of opinion.

---------------------

Paris Hilton was taken from a courtroom screaming and crying Friday seconds after a judge ordered her returned to jail to serve out her entire 45-day sentence for a parole violation in a reckless driving case.

"It's not right!" shouted the weeping Hilton. "Mom!" she called out to her mother in the audience.

Hilton, who was brought to court in handcuffs in a sheriff's car, came into the courtroom disheveled and weeping. Her hair was askew and she wore a gray fuzzy sweatshirt over slacks. She wore no makeup and she cried throughout the hearing.

Email This Story IM This Story Print This Story SPONSORED LINKS
Kyle Xy: He Is Not Alone
Tune-In Monday June 11th @ 8/7c on ABC Family.

ABCFamily.com
DISH - Official Site
Over 100 channels for $19.99. Get more with DISH Network.

www.dishnetwork.com
Save Money Now
Find Out About Special Deals, Coupons, Aucitons, Free Gifts and More.

www.Bargains.com/freetrial
Quick Easy Shop-Gifts Jewelry Electronic
Discount prices. Buy now & save. Thousands of items at reduced prices.

quickeasyshop.chaseorder.com
Her body also shook constantly as she dabbed at her eyes. Several times she turned to her parents, seated behind her in the courtroom, and mouthed, "I love you."

She had been brought to court in sheriff's custody today for a court hearing on her early release from jail after back-and-forth decisions on whether she could participate by telephone from her home.

Hilton, appearing to be in handcuffs, cried after she was placed into a black-and-white patrol car, which sped away from her home with lights flashing as news helicopters pursued, broadcasting live TV coverage.

The car carrying her disappeared into the courthouse's underground parking lot, avoiding a swarm of news media, and her parents then arrived.

In the hearing, which began at late morning, a judge was to listen to the city attorney's complaint that the county sheriff did not have the right to reassign her to electronically monitored home detention after only three days in jail for violating probation in a reckless driving case.

On Thursday, Superior Court Judge Michael T. Sauer ordered that Hilton be brought to Friday's hearing. But early Friday a court spokesman announced that she would be allowed to participate by telephone, which is common in misdemeanor cases. Then, in a reversal, the spokesman said the judge had ordered the Sheriff's Department to pick her up and bring her to court.

The frenzy began early Thursday when sheriff's officials released Hilton because of an undisclosed medical condition and sent her home under house arrest. She had been in jail for three days.

Hilton was fitted with an electronic monitoring ankle bracelet and was expected to finish her 45-day sentence for a reckless driving probation violation at her four-bedroom, three-bath home.

The decision by Sheriff Lee Baca to move Hilton chafed prosecutors and Sauer, who spelled out during sentencing that Hilton was not allowed to serve house detention.

Late Thursday, Sauer issued the order for Hilton to return to court after the city attorney filed a petition demanding that Hilton be returned to jail and to show cause why Baca shouldn't be held in contempt of court.

Baca does not have to be in court, and it was unclear who would represent the Sheriff's Department.

The move also was met with outrage from the sheriff's deputies union, members of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, civil rights leaders, defense attorneys and others.

"What transpired here is outrageous," county Supervisor Don Knabe told The Associated Press, adding he received more than 400 angry e-mails and hundreds more phone calls from around the country.

Hilton's return home "gives the impression of ... celebrity justice being handed out," he said.

Baca dismissed the criticism, saying the decision was made based on medical advice.

"It isn't wise to keep a person in jail with her problem over an extended period of time and let the problem get worse," Baca told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday.

"My message to those who don't like celebrities is that punishing celebrities more than the average American is not justice," Baca said.

California Attorney General Jerry Brown criticized the Sheriff's Department for letting Hilton out of jail, saying he believed she should serve out her sentence.

"It does hold up the system to ridicule when the powerful and the famous get special treatment," Brown told The Associated Press in an interview before testifying at a congressional hearing in Washington, D.C.

"I'm sure there's a lot of people who've seen their family members go to jail and have various ailments, physical and psychological, that didn't get them released," he said. "I'd say it's time for a course correction."

The Los Angeles County jail system is so overcrowded that attorneys and jail officials have said it is not unusual for nonviolent offenders like Hilton to be released after serving as little as 10 percent of their sentences.

In the hours after Hilton's release, it was a madcap scene outside her house in the hills above the Sunset Strip. As word spread that the 26-year-old poster child for bad celebrity behavior was back home, radio helicopter pilots who normally report on traffic conditions were dispatched to hover over her house and describe it to morning commuters. Paparazzi photographers on the ground quickly assembled outside its gates.

Shortly before noon, Hilton issued a statement through her attorney.

"I want to thank the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and staff of the Century Regional Detention Center for treating me fairly and professionally," she said. "I am going to serve the remaining 40 days of my sentence. I have learned a great deal from this ordeal and hope that others have learned from my mistakes."

Hilton's path to jail began Sept. 7, when she failed a sobriety test after police saw her weaving down a street in her Mercedes-Benz on what she said was a late-night run to a hamburger stand.

She pleaded no contest to reckless driving and was sentenced to 36 months' probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.

In the months that followed she was stopped twice by officers who discovered her driving on a suspended license. The second stop landed her in Sauer's courtroom, where he sentenced her to jail.

GeorgiaPeach said:
It's sad that someone like Paris Hilton, who has unlimited funds and gets LOTS of exposure (ha, no pun intended!), wastes her life on what I would consider "fluff". She could use her voice and raise awareness for worthy causes. If she can't think of any, I have two beautiful nephews with autism.

Autism affects 1 in 166 and receives $15 million in private funding.
Leukemia affects 1 in 25,000 and receives $310 million.

Come on, Paris. Put your money to better use than the latest fashions and paying fancy lawyers to get your butt out of jail!

(Stepping off of soapbox....good night!)

Amen!!
:::::applauding::::::

I don't feel bad for her at all. She should not have been driving with a suspended licence or while drinking. She could hae killed someone or herself driving while drunk. I lost a very close family friend to a drunk driver so I have no compasion for people who drink while driving.

She is 26 years old and knew what she was doing, I don't care if she is a celebrity or not she has to serve her sentence just like everyone else. There are a lot of inmates that have real medical problems and they don't get to go home with a monitor on she does not either.

Maybe when she gets out she will be a better person for serving her sentence. One can only pray.

Chef Michelle D said:
I don't feel bad for her at all. She should not have been driving with a suspended licence or while drinking. She could hae killed someone or herself driving while drunk. I lost a very close family friend to a drunk driver so I have no compasion for people who drink while driving.

She is 26 years old and knew what she was doing, I don't care if she is a celebrity or not she has to serve her sentence just like everyone else. There are a lot of inmates that have real medical problems and they don't get to go home with a monitor on she does not either.

Maybe when she gets out she will be a better person for serving her sentence. One can only pray.

I agree completely.

Oh I only meant that the sheriff seems to be actually making some political statement or something - I don't feel THAT sorry for Paris. She will probably be more famous after all this. Why is it exactly that she is famous?? What is her talent or contribution to society - I keep forgetting

I feel a little bit guilty for laughing *loudly* when I read she went back to jail in tears crying and calling for her mommy... but only a little bit.There are *so many* good things she could be doing. I wish she'd get a clue while in jail, I really do.

Paris Does the Pen - Title of her next reality series.Me? I prefer the Marriott!

Here is what I don't get...these girls(Paris, Linsey, Nicole) have more money than everybody else, but are too cheep to hire a driver (which I am sure they have at beckoned call) when they drink. Can anyone say Yellow Cab?

Related to Why is Paris Hilton's 3 week jail sentence making headlines again?

What is the reason for the renewed attention on Paris Hilton's 3 week jail sentence?

The media is covering Paris Hilton's jail sentence again because she recently turned herself in to serve her sentence for a violation of her parole. This has sparked renewed interest in her case and her time in jail.

Why should I care about Paris Hilton starting her 3 week sentence?

While Paris Hilton is a celebrity, her legal troubles and jail sentence are a reflection of the justice system and its treatment of individuals. Additionally, her actions and consequences may serve as a warning to others.

Is a 3 week sentence common for regular people?

No, a 3 week sentence is not a common length for regular people. Typically, sentences for parole violations vary depending on the severity of the violation and the individual's criminal history.

Will Paris Hilton turn her jail time into a reality TV show?

There is no confirmation that Paris Hilton will turn her jail time into a reality TV show. However, she did serve jail time in 2007 and was not allowed to film her experience for a show.

Why did Paris Hilton turn herself in after attending an awards show?

It is unclear why Paris Hilton waited until after attending an awards show to turn herself in for her jail sentence. Some speculate that she wanted to make a public appearance before beginning her sentence, while others believe it was a strategic move by her legal team.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kathytnt
  • krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Get_Pampered
  • Kitchen2u
  • General Chat
Replies