• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creative Uses for Ham Bone: Spring Recipes and More!

In summary, a ham bone can be used to make a flavorful broth that can be used in soups, stews, and casseroles. It can also be added to beans, collard greens, or rice for added flavor. The bone can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days before using it or frozen for later use. It can also be used to make stock in a slow cooker for a rich and flavorful result. While not vegetarian itself, a ham bone can be used to add flavor to vegetarian dishes by using the broth or stock created from it.
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
Hi all! I made a whole ham today (came out WONDERFUL, I will attach the recipe!)

Now I am wondering what to do with the bone. Many times I will make ham and bean soup, but that just feels like more of a winterish recipe. Any suggestions that are more spring type?

Otherwise, I may just throw it away and use the leftover ham in some potatoes and/or ham salad!

Attachments

• The Best Baked Ham in the World.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 350
Cook the ham bone like you would for ham and beans, then freeze the "soup." As a matter of fact, you can freeze the ham bone if you don't want to go to the trouble right now. If you wrap it really well several times in plastic, it will keep for several months. You can use it when the first cold snap hits.

I have a ham bone in my freezer now Yes all you need to do is make a soup .Start with water, onion, and the all your veggies with the Ham bone then add the beans ( yellow or green bean any will work ) let it cook all day on low , You can even do it in a Crock pot ..

I use mine for split pea soup. sorry , don't have a spring recipe. :)

I use it for Split Pea Soup, Lentil Soup, Lentils & Rice, Rice & Beans....

boil it in some water and use it for gumbo, use the broth in place of the canned broth

Thanks for the ideas!! I think I am going to freeze it till it gets cold again!

1. What is the best way to use a ham bone?

One of the most common ways to use a ham bone is to make a flavorful ham broth. Simply simmer the ham bone in water with vegetables and herbs for several hours to create a delicious base for soups, stews, and casseroles.

2. Can I use a ham bone for anything besides soup?

Yes, there are many other ways to use a ham bone. It can be added to beans or lentils for added flavor, used to make a hearty pot of collard greens, or even added to a pot of rice for a delicious side dish.

3. How long can I keep a ham bone in the fridge before using it?

A ham bone can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days before using it. If you won't be using it within that time frame, it is best to freeze it for later use.

4. Can I use a ham bone to make stock in a slow cooker?

Yes, a slow cooker is a great way to make ham stock from a ham bone. Simply place the ham bone in the slow cooker with water, vegetables, and herbs, and cook on low for 8-10 hours for a rich and flavorful stock.

5. Can I use a ham bone to make a vegetarian dish?

While a ham bone itself is not vegetarian, it can be used to add flavor to vegetarian dishes. Simply remove the bone before serving, and use the broth or stock created from it to add depth of flavor to vegetarian soups, stews, and casseroles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sih
  • CAPCnewbie