• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Does Everyone Do in There Spare Time? Does Anybody Have Any

In summary, the conversation was about different hobbies and talents that people have. Some of the hobbies mentioned were scrapbooking, making Christmas decorations and gifts, cooking, baking, sewing, making handmade cards, and photography. Other hobbies included reading, cross stitching, gardening, hiking, biking, camping, volunteering, and attending car shows. Some people also mentioned doing various crafts such as counted cross stitch, crochet, quilting, and jewelry making. It was also mentioned that some people don't have much spare time for hobbies due to other commitments.
rennea
Gold Member
What does everyone do in there spare time? Does anybody have any special talents. I know that Ann is mighty good with beads:)

A ton of people scrapbook but I could never get into it. Too much stuff lying around the house and too lazy to actually develop photos.

I make Christmas decorations every year. I also am pretty good at making gift tags and wrapping paper.

I really like to make my gifts~so I tend to make baskets with either cooking/baking themes(homemade jams, chocolates, candies, etc.) or
bath themes(homemade bubble bath, lip balm etc.)

I do sew but nothing special.

I have been looking for something creative to do with my time!!!

Naturally, I cook and bake. I crochet. I sew. I make handmade cards. I have done needlepoint but not for quite a long time. I just started making jewelry with my daughter.I'm like Martha Stewart, only without all her millions. And I don't do gardening. Plants see me and they shrivel in fear.

Aw, thanks for the compliment, Rennea. I've been working on my beading - just picked up Peyote stitch weaving this week. I'm still slow at it, but hope to get a little faster.I also crochet, and I've done some scrapbooking in the past.

I love to read. I also cross stitch but I don't have time for that much any more. I am an avid amatuer photographer when I have time also!

Does CS junkie count?

wadesgirl said:
I love to read. I also cross stitch but I don't have time for that much any more. I am an avid amatuer photographer when I have time also!

Does Chef Success junkie count?

You may be asking the wrong people that question!:D :p Of course it counts!

My first thought was "what spare time?" LOL

*I love to read - always have been an avid reader, and am teaching my son to be one too

*I cook - that really is my #1 hobby, and I collect recipes and cookbooks - I actually have some old, rare cookbooks that I treasure! (ones that tell you to bake in a slow oven, or moderate oven, that kind of thing)

* I garden - love to do this!

*Hiking, Biking, and Camping during warmer months

*Volunteering at my church

*And, by marriage, I have picked up a Car Show hobby.

I am with Becky on the "what spare time" thought.

maybe if I wasn't on Chef Success so much:rolleyes: :)

I do enjoy reading, but haven't been able to pick up a book in a while. I did purchase a starter kit for scrapbooking last year, but have only gotten a few pages done. I really do enjoy taking pictures, and want to capture the memories.

And of course, I do enjoy cooking.

I have all the supplies to scrapbook but have done very little.

I do tons of crafts: counted cross stitch, crochet, quilt, quilling, jewelry, I make this awesome Christmas tree with velvet, broken champange bottles, costume jewelry and lights (planning to make a non-Christmas version too). I've sold a lot of my stuff in the past but mostly now I just make it for family. I have done a ton of other things in the past too but there is just so much time in the day!

Oh, and I bake and cook too but I don't think of that as a hobby.

I also read but I'm obsessive - I can't pick up a book or a project without finishing it before putting it down.

wadesgirl said:

Does Chef Success junkie count?

Yes I guess it could be concidered a hobby right:D

Funny I never thought to concider until now that reading was a hobby. I love love love to read and try to read at least one book a week.

BethCooks4U said:
I have all the supplies to scrapbook but have done very little.

I do tons of crafts: counted cross stitch, crochet, quilt, quilling, jewelry, I make this awesome Christmas tree with velvet, broken champange bottles, costume jewelry and lights (planning to make a non-Christmas version too). I've sold a lot of my stuff in the past but mostly now I just make it for family. I have done a ton of other things in the past too but there is just so much time in the day!

Oh, and I bake and cook too but I don't think of that as a hobby.

I also read but I'm obsessive - I can't pick up a book or a project without finishing it before putting it down.

AKA:Martha:D

rennea said:
Yes I guess it could be concidered a hobby right:D

Funny I never thought to concider until now that reading was a hobby. I love love love to read and try to read at least one book a week.
I love to read, not alot of people I met read any more (DH hasn't picked up a single book in the 5 years we've been together). I always like to read before I go to bed and also on lazy Saturdays!

One of my other favorite hobbies is frisbee golf. It puts together the outdoors and excersize! Plus it's fun.

my hobbiesI love scrapbooking but haven't had much time lately to do it. I'll have extra time ths summer.

Helping my son with his Royal Ranger badges.

Volunteering at school.

Volunteering at church.

Collecting recipes, trying to perfect my baking and canning skills for competition and/or compliments.

Designing websites

I think I have been treating PC as a hobby too and that is where I have been having problems. I need to step it up and treat it as a job.

Umm...where to begin...Work Full-time
PC
Teach Red Cross Courses (CPR all levels, First Aid, Pet First Aid, I'm an Instructor Trainer for CPR all levels, First Aid and Pet First Aid, I'm doing my Lifeguard recertification next week and bridge-over to Lifeguard Instructor)
Fire Department (volunteer) - Firefighter and EMT-B and Department Secretary for the last 8 years
Help at Church - AWANA leader, sound
DH is full-time staff at a Christian Camp - I do medical registration for all the summer camps, occasionally lifeguard or help in the kitchen or serve banquets
Have two wonderful little kids with lots of fun activities like swimming, bike riding, swinging on the swingset, and piano
Play with our 2 dogs and cat
I play piano, organ, clarinet, F. Horn, trumpet, accordian, I have a flute, guitar and violin I putz with a little
I used to make my own Christmas cards, crochet a little and do crafts but with the above don't really have time for that.
Garden a bit except I just lost my tomatoes and peppers to a freeze the last 2 nights. :(
Hmm...like to cook...
Like to read...
Do a lot of computer work...Are you tired reading yet? I am! It's been a busy week...off to make dinner and get ready for a booth on Saturday - I have to set up tomorrow after work...

janetupnorth said:
Umm...where to begin...

Work Full-time
PC
Teach Red Cross Courses (CPR all levels, First Aid, Pet First Aid, I'm an Instructor Trainer for CPR all levels, First Aid and Pet First Aid, I'm doing my Lifeguard recertification next week and bridge-over to Lifeguard Instructor)
Fire Department (volunteer) - Firefighter and EMT-B and Department Secretary for the last 8 years
DH is full-time staff at a Christian Camp - I do medical registration for all the summer camps, occasionally lifeguard or help in the kitchen or serve banquets
Have two wonderful little kids with lots of fun activities like swimming, bike riding, swinging on the swingset, and piano
I play piano, organ, clarinet, F. Horn, trumpet, accordian, I have a flute, guitar and violin I putz with a little
I used to make my own Christmas cards, crochet a little and do crafts but with the above don't really have time for that.
Garden a bit except I just lost my tomatoes and peppers to a freeze the last 2 nights. :(
Hmm...like to cook...
Like to read...
Do a lot of computer work...

Are you tired reading yet? I am! It's been a busy week...off to make dinner and get ready for a booth on Saturday - I have to set up tomorrow after work...

Oh no Janet!:eek: :cry:

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh no Janet!:eek: :cry:

Yeah, that wasn't as bad as coming home to the fact that the bears came by today. Both feeders down - one bend up, broken and hanger missing...everything on the porch tossed about.

I only lost about $10 on all the plants luckily - my flowers and chives and cilantro was all inside.

My hanging tomato plants survived, just not the ones in the ground...

It's been a day...

I'm going to start another thread soon to make my list of what I'm taking for my booth Saturday at a craft fair - check in there and make sure I've covered my bases since I can't think clearly tonight!

~ I tried Scrapbooking (every time an expo hits our town) but am not consistent with it.
~Reading =when I have books to read lol. Just joined a club so hopefully I will have lots to read this summer!
~Walking
~Yoga
~Computer/email junkie
~school volunteering

Hmmmm...let's see......

~cross-stitch
~crochet
~tole painting
~card making
~reading
~girl scout leader
~school volunteer

there have been more and less at times.....

janetupnorth said:
Umm...where to begin...

Work Full-time
PC
Hmm...like to cook...
Like to read...
Do a lot of computer work...

Are you tired reading yet? I am! It's been a busy week...off to make dinner and get ready for a booth on Saturday - I have to set up tomorrow after work...

People who complain that they are toooo busy to do anything or never have any "free" time must really get on your nerves.

Here are some of my hobbies:

- Scrapbooking (I do it monthly with some neighbors, so it FORCES me to do it, and it's fun, too!)
- Yoga
- Golf (lately only on vacation)
- Tennis (see Golf)
- Go for walks and listen to music on my iPod
- Bake (I hate cooking - only do it as a necessity! LOL!)
- Cross Stitch or sewing (haven't done much lately, though)
- Shopping
- Dancing (with my girlfriends, of course!) ;)
- Surf internet gossip sites (a sick addiction!)
- Hang out here
- play with my kids!!

rennea said:
People who complain that they are toooo busy to do anything or never have any "free" time must really get on your nerves.

Nope, they just make me chuckle! :D

My level of each thing varies throughout the year/years, but that is my current list.

Sometimes I spend more time with the kids, sometimes more with PC, sometimes more with music...life has its seasons...

It's just good to try and enjoy each one and not worry too much (yeah right...).

I write, edit and produce http://highway16.xmradio.com. Which pays a little better than a hobby, but takes up way too much of my time.

I knit for our Prayer Shawl ministry at church. I like to think I'm a scrapbooker, but my stuff has been gathering dust over the past year. And I have a blogging addiction.

For you folks who want to scrapbook and can't get into it, have you ever tried digital scrapbooking?? I LOVE it, and all my pictures are digital anyway, so it makes it really easy. It does take an investment in a program (I use Adobe Photoshop Elements), but you can re-use any supplies you buy (by scanning them in); it's easier to clean up than paper, and there is no cutting out of little shapes and things (which drives me nuts.) I highly recommend it!! As for the rest, I love to bake, cook, read, sew, and we also do a medieval re-enactment group.

jbachen said:
...we also do a medieval re-enactment group.

Really? I recently joined a F&I reenacting group. Is this for a local ren-fair or do you travel?

janetupnorth said:
Umm...where to begin...

/QUOTE]

Hey, I (used to) play the french horn. Until playing it made my oldest DD cry (when she was a baby) LOL! I'd love to take lessons to get me back into shape, it has been years since I REALLY played.

I do love it though!

Would also love to take piano and/or violin lessons, did both as a kid, could probably manage a few squeaky scales on the violin! Probably would make my littlest DD cry though!!

Last edited:
AnnieBee said:
Hey, I (used to) play the french horn. Until playing it made my oldest DD cry (when she was a baby) LOL! I'd love to take lessons to get me back into shape, it has been years since I REALLY played.

I do love it though!

Would also love to take piano and/or violin lessons, did both as a kid, could probably manage a few squeaky scales on the violin! Probably would make my littlest DD cry though!!

It's amazing how many "ex" horn players I've run into in the last 10 years.
I still play publically at least twice a year with a brass group at church. Don't play as much in between anymore. I have a Holton Farkus Silver Double Horn that I've had for 20 years - love it!!!! I also have a mellophone at home (older style that looks like a F. Horn not a trumpet).

I wish I had time for hobbies and crafts...all of my time is spent on PC, my daughter's activities (marching band, BIG committment [a minmum of 15 hours a week), and MANY other community service things she does), Youth Director of our church, school volunteer (2x/wk), nursing home volunteer (2x/week), 4 committee chairs at our church(= at least 2 meetings a week)...not to mention taking my parents and 2 aunts on the errands they need to run (2-3x/week)...plus my sister broke her leg, recovering from surgery so I'm running her back and forth to dr. appts, making dinners, etc...then she had to go and break her toe on the OTHER foot yesterday! So when I get a chance to breath, I'm cleaning house and other things that need to get done around here.

Robyn's a senior in HS next year so, after she's off to college, I should have LOTS of time for hobbies...but until then, I'm spending as MUCH time as I can with her!

Last edited:
Civil war civilian reenactor (Winstontown Home)That hobby includes my other favorites: sewing (modern and historically correct), cooking, gardening, reading/research. Plus I get to use my vintage collection of assorted household items, and camp out from time to time.

myinnerchef said:
Really? I recently joined a F&I reenacting group. Is this for a local ren-fair or do you travel?
Mine is called the Society for Creative Anachronism (sca.org). It is not quite like a ren-fair because everyone participates. We have events sponsored by local groups and, if we wanted to travel up to a couple of hours, we could probably do an event every weekend, especially over the summer. You should definitely check it out!!ETA: The SCA covers about 600-1600 A.D. so if there is any time period in there that interests you, definitely go for it!

CookingwithMary said:
Civil war civilian reenactor (Winstontown Home)

I have always wanted to branch out into other time periods! I just haven't had enough time. At this point, my medieval garb needs tons of help, since I am always sewing for everyone else!:rolleyes:

I bought most of my costume but made the simpler parts (the apron and headscarf, for example). I suspect peasant garb didn't change much between 1600 and 1700. I'd probably fit right in. We may try out the ren-fair in Bristol this summer. I can make something for my girls to wear. I don't know what to do for the boys.

Add me to the listI work full time and have a DH and 8 year old DS with learning disability--so right now I'm using my long ago elementary school teaching degree in spare time. He takes karate lessons and will have a full day care summer schedule
But I also

*scrapbook---I just attended a stamp club group--9 months where we made cards
I also sometimes make scrapbooks for others as gifts. Recenly at a discount store I found 8X8 scrapbooks for $4.00.
I don't get to that enough lately.
*sew and quilt
*READ
*PC
and keep up with my volunteer firefighter/football referee/fulltime American Heart course educater hubby, too.

quiltchef said:
I work full time and have a DH and 8 year old DS with learning disability--so right now I'm using my long ago elementary school teaching degree in spare time. He takes karate lessons and will have a full day care summer schedule
But I also

*scrapbook---I just attended a stamp club group--9 months where we made cards
I also sometimes make scrapbooks for others as gifts. Recenly at a discount store I found 8X8 scrapbooks for $4.00.
I don't get to that enough lately.
*sew and quilt
*READ
*PC
and keep up with my volunteer firefighter/football referee/fulltime American Heart course educater hubby, too.

Take out the football referee and he'll fit right in with DH and I! :)

janetupnorth said:
It's amazing how many "ex" horn players I've run into in the last 10 years.
I still play publically at least twice a year with a brass group at church. Don't play as much in between anymore. I have a Holton Farkus Silver Double Horn that I've had for 20 years - love it!!!! I also have a mellophone at home (older style that looks like a F. Horn not a trumpet).

Janet, I also have a Holton silver double (not sure about the Farkus part!)!! I love mine too... so pretty! I got it when I was 17, in Madison, WI!! So I guess that means I've had it for about 16 years. Wow, almost half my life!

As for other hobbies, I love to cross-stitch, but don't find much time for it. Also I LOVE to read. I bake a lot and would like to garden more. Oh, and I love to do cake decorating :)

AnnieBee said:
Janet, I also have a Holton silver double (not sure about the Farkus part!)!! I love mine too... so pretty! I got it when I was 17, in Madison, WI!! So I guess that means I've had it for about 16 years. Wow, almost half my life!

As for other hobbies, I love to cross-stitch, but don't find much time for it. Also I LOVE to read. I bake a lot and would like to garden more. Oh, and I love to do cake decorating :)

What were you doing in Madison? My horn is from Kenosha, WI from a guy who played sax and horn in the Kenosha Symphony.

Yours probably is a Holton Farkus - that is the silver model...what bore size do you have H177, H179 or another? It should be engraved on the horn right near where you put the mouthpiece in.

Janet, it's a H179. As for why I was in Wisconsin...

When I was almost 3, my dad got a position as a math prof at UW Madison for 6 months, which turned into 2 years. Over the years he has gone back to work with old colleagues, and the summer of '92 He and My mom went for 2 or 3 months (I was in high school and stayed with friends for the last few week of school, my sisters were in college). Once school was out I spent the summer with them. We happened to go by this awesome huge music store, and I ended up trying out french horns. My teacher had said it was about time for me to be getting my own decent instrument (in England you can mostly borrow school instruments for lessons at school), and when we started to compare prices, it was so much cheaper than getting one back home, so we got it! I was lucky enough to have money from my grandmother that I could use, as my parents had paid for my sister's clarinet but weren't going to pay for a whole french horn for me!! I really wish I could play more... I miss being part of an orchestra. Once my kids are a bit older I will probably try to join our city orchestra (if they'll have me!!). We LOVE Madison, it is a beautiful and fun city to spend a summer in!

I love to read and hike, and just recently started bird watching. I never thought it would be something I would enjoy, but since we moved to an areas filled with trees, etc- we put up bird feeders, and are having a wonderful time with it. Today, I bought a bird bath, and 2 more feeders, to attract different birds. the sales person said that with gas prices going up, more people are staying home, and bird feeder sales is skyrocketing (HUH?)

rennea said:
What does everyone do in there spare time? Does anybody have any special talents. I know that Ann is mighty good with beads:)

A ton of people scrapbook but I could never get into it. Too much stuff lying around the house and too lazy to actually develop photos.

I make Christmas decorations every year. I also am pretty good at making gift tags and wrapping paper.

I really like to make my gifts~so I tend to make baskets with either cooking/baking themes(homemade jams, chocolates, candies, etc.) or
bath themes(homemade bubble bath, lip balm etc.)

I do sew but nothing special.

I have been looking for something creative to do with my time!!!

I make greeting cards and my company is called "Little Ray of Sunshine Greetings~ by Kristine" Some day I'll get off my gourd and post some pic's of the cards I make. :) I also cook and bake...

AnnieBee said:
Janet, it's a H179. As for why I was in Wisconsin...

When I was almost 3, my dad got a position as a math prof at UW Madison for 6 months, which turned into 2 years. Over the years he has gone back to work with old colleagues, and the summer of '92 He and My mom went for 2 or 3 months (I was in high school and stayed with friends for the last few week of school, my sisters were in college). Once school was out I spent the summer with them. We happened to go by this awesome huge music store, and I ended up trying out french horns. My teacher had said it was about time for me to be getting my own decent instrument (in England you can mostly borrow school instruments for lessons at school), and when we started to compare prices, it was so much cheaper than getting one back home, so we got it! I was lucky enough to have money from my grandmother that I could use, as my parents had paid for my sister's clarinet but weren't going to pay for a whole french horn for me!! I really wish I could play more... I miss being part of an orchestra. Once my kids are a bit older I will probably try to join our city orchestra (if they'll have me!!). We LOVE Madison, it is a beautiful and fun city to spend a summer in!

Awesome - I paid $900 for mine back in 1988 or 1989.

Summer of '92 - would have been in Madison if I had gone into Chemical Engineering like I wanted at UW-Madison - I ended up going to MSOE for Industrial Engineering instead...

Kitchen Diva said:
I make greeting cards and my company is called "Little Ray of Sunshine Greetings~ by Kristine" Some day I'll get off my gourd and post some pic's of the cards I make. :) I also cook and bake...
Kacey- if you are still looking for some extra money, why don't you open an Etsy shop and sell some of your cards?

janetupnorth said:
Yeah, that wasn't as bad as coming home to the fact that the bears came by today. Both feeders down - one bend up, broken and hanger missing...everything on the porch tossed about.

I only lost about $10 on all the plants luckily - my flowers and chives and cilantro was all inside.
My hanging tomato plants survived, just not the ones in the ground...

It's been a day...

I'm going to start another thread soon to make my list of what I'm taking for my booth Saturday at a craft fair - check in there and make sure I've covered my bases since I can't think clearly tonight!

You can have the cilantro I pulled out of my Chipolte Burrito this evening for supper... :)

chefann said:
Kacey- if you are still looking for some extra money, why don't you open an Etsy shop and sell some of your cards?
Would you be willing to help me? PM me or email me at [email protected]

Thanks Ann!:)

just sent you an email, Kacey!

chefann said:
just sent you an email, Kacey!
Thanks! I just replied! Whoo-hoo a project! Now I can stop writing poems about weeds. I mean herbs!

My hobbies are:

Shopping :)
Scrapbooking
I make my own cards and wrapping paper
baking
gardening

I want to learn how to sew, my mom used to make our barbie clothes, baby doll clothes etc.. when we were kids and I can't even sew on a button.

In my spare time, I:
make hula hoops
play with hula hoops
read
cut up t-shirts and make them into different things or cuter tops
sew
knit
digitally edit photos
bake
cook
play with my dog and try to train her

I love to scrapbook - been doing this for almost 11 years and have many albums to show for it. My kids love looking through them and it's a great keepsake for our entire family.

I am also an avid reader - each summer I join the library's reading program and read a ton of books (always light fluff it seems - although I do enjoy a large variety of genres). I figure I can get a free t-shirt for reading each summer and my kids do a reading program as well.

I love planning vacations - I don't know whether that's considered a hobby but I get a kick out of planning the itineraries of each of our annual vacations and scouting out cool places to see with my kids.

Love to watch movies - always have been a huge movie buff - ever since I was a kid and even worked in a theatre when I was in high school and college.

pampermejolene said:
In my spare time, I:
make hula hoops
play with hula hoops

read
cut up t-shirts and make them into different things or cuter tops
sew
knit
digitally edit photos
bake
cook
play with my dog and try to train her

I've seriously been thinking about getting a hula hoop - I tried one out at a Vendor thing I did at a Women's Gym - what a workout!

Related to What Does Everyone Do in There Spare Time? Does Anybody Have Any

What does everyone do in their spare time?

Many people enjoy hobbies such as scrapbooking, crafting, cooking, and sewing in their spare time.

Does anybody have any special talents?

Yes, some people at Pampered Chef have special talents such as beadwork, making Christmas decorations, creating gift tags and wrapping paper, and making homemade gifts like jams and bath products.

I know that Ann is mighty good with beads:)

That's great to hear! Many people find beadwork to be a fun and relaxing hobby.

What are some popular hobbies at Pampered Chef?

Some popular hobbies among our employees include scrapbooking, cooking, baking, and crafting.

Do you have any suggestions for a creative hobby?

If you're looking for a new creative hobby, you could try your hand at cooking or baking, making homemade gifts, or even learning a new craft like knitting or painting. It's always fun to discover new talents and hobbies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
thechefofnorthbend
  • blueberrylady
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Kitchen Diva