• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are some Italian-themed surprise party ideas?

In summary, Teresa is helping her brother-in-law plan a surprise birthday party for her sister and is having it at her house. She is thinking about some ideas for decorations, food, and drinks. She is also thinking about using stuffed olives, prosciutto, and cantaloupe slices wrapped around blanched asparagus spears.
ChefPaulaB
Okay, so I just found out that I am helping my brother-in-law plan a surprise birthday party for my sister! And I'm having it at my house... in other words, I'm doing everything and he's footing the bill... and I'm okay with that. My sister has always wanted to go to Italy so I'm thinking having an Italian theme, so I would love any ideas that anyone has for it... decorations, food, drinks, anything. I already have some ideas floating around... the dipping oils, of course! And maybe the profiteroles. I'm thinking all finger foods, not a sit down. Just guessing I'd say about 30-40 people, so I do not want to try to feed a full blown meal. And I'm thinking maybe one signature "Italian" drink and then have beer and wine. Keep it simple that way. Not coming up with much for decorations, need to do a little research. So, bring on the ideas! Please!!! TIA!!!

I'd do an antipasto platter,
plenty of assorted olives
and "deli type meats" & cheese
italian style peppersbruschettasIf you don't want to serve it in PC dishes find some old "crockery" type dishes or pretty martini glasses baskets lined with a pretty fabric filled with breasdsticks
an old empty chianti bottle they have those cool taper candles that drip different colors
lots of tealights and candles sitting around

I'm with Teresa. I'd especially use stuffed olives. You can buy them at a lot of places stuffed with anchovies, garlic, various cheeses (we love provolone), and almonds.If price isn't an issue, wrap some prosciutto around cantaloupe slices. You can also wrap it around blanched asparagus spears. Prosciutto is pricey, but delicious.

Love those ideas... the Chianti bottle with the candle sounds awesome... need to find some. Keep 'em comin!

Where would I find Chianti Bottles? Can you buy that wine somewhere (of course, I'd have to drink it :balloon:) or just the bottles? I was thinking about doing Paninis, only bite size... what do you think of that? Want something with a little substance when there is drinking... I've never made Paninis, I just ordered the grill pan and press, so I would have it, just not sure how difficult or time consuming they are. Any good recipes for those?

You might find something that would work at Hobby Lobby. Just let lots of wax drip down the sides for added panache.

oooh, love Hobby Lobby! Great excuse to go and spend a few hours! Just checked out the Robbie's Panini Show file... that sounds like a great demo! I can't wait to get my grill pan and press! Has anyone ever done that for a show? What other PC seasonings would you use in the mayo and mustard other than dill? It said something about sweet... don't get that...

well, at our house we drink it and save the bottle for outdoor parties... we have some with a "rattan" covering on the bottom part of the bottle and a twisty neck do you have a World Market?
the drippy candles are 2 per box at hobby lobby I usually stock up when they are 1/2 offyou could do food in hurricane candle holders too(do you have any old catalogs from taste of home entertaining or southern living they have good ideas on displaying things)the paninis would be good have everyone make their own (or a designated chef maybe a teen)

Teresa Lynn said:
well, at our house we drink it and save the bottle for outdoor parties... we have some with a "rattan" covering on the bottom part of the bottle and a twisty neck do you have a World Market?
the drippy candles are 2 per box at hobby lobby I usually stock up when they are 1/2 off

you could do food in hurricane candle holders too

(do you have any old catalogs from taste of home entertaining or southern living they have good ideas on displaying things)

the paninis would be good have everyone make their own (or a designated chef maybe a teen)

There is a World Market fairly close, I thought I'd try there first... I hope that they have some... and I am planning on going to Hobby Lobby so I can get the candles there. For the Panini's I was actually thinking that I'd make them up ahead and cut them into like finger size rather than whole sandwiches, and just have sitting out... I don't want to have to be working through the party, I want to have everything done and out and just enjoy the party. Do you think that they'd be good at room temp? I hope so, that's what I'm planning. And I think that I'm going to make a Peach Bellini punch (Champagne, Peach Schnapps and something else...) maybe do some ice cubes in the Silicone Floral thing to float in it...

There's a Chocolate Chip Cannoli Dip on CC that's really good. Tastes just like cannoli, but the shells don't get soggy from sitting. :)A coffee station with amaretto would be good, or cappuccinos, if you have access to an espresso machine.

ChefPaulaB said:
Okay, so I just found out that I am helping my brother-in-law plan a surprise birthday party for my sister! And I'm having it at my house... in other words, I'm doing everything and he's footing the bill... and I'm okay with that. My sister has always wanted to go to Italy so I'm thinking having an Italian theme, so I would love any ideas that anyone has for it... decorations, food, drinks, anything. I already have some ideas floating around... the dipping oils, of course! And maybe the profiteroles. I'm thinking all finger foods, not a sit down. Just guessing I'd say about 30-40 people, so I do not want to try to feed a full blown meal. And I'm thinking maybe one signature "Italian" drink and then have beer and wine. Keep it simple that way. Not coming up with much for decorations, need to do a little research. So, bring on the ideas! Please!!! TIA!!!

Have everyone fitted for cement block shoes. LOL... Kidding- I'm married to an Italian. People ask me all the time if I speak Italian, and I say, "Yes...Get in the trunk"... :D

ChefPaulaB said:
Where would I find Chianti Bottles? Can you buy that wine somewhere (of course, I'd have to drink it :balloon:) or just the bottles? I was thinking about doing Paninis, only bite size... what do you think of that? Want something with a little substance when there is drinking... I've never made Paninis, I just ordered the grill pan and press, so I would have it, just not sure how difficult or time consuming they are. Any good recipes for those?

There was a really good mini panini recipe that was either a part of the Italian Theme show we had a couple years ago, or it was in the SB when the Grill Press was brought into the product line - or both (sorry, I don't remember!) but I know you can still find it on CC. It was really good! I never made them for shows, but we made them at home quite a bit. In fact, hmmm, now I'm thinking that might be a recipe I need to pull out and dust off!

raebates said:
I'm with Teresa. I'd especially use stuffed olives. You can buy them at a lot of places stuffed with anchovies, garlic, various cheeses (we love provolone), and almonds.

If price isn't an issue, wrap some prosciutto around cantaloupe slices. You can also wrap it around blanched asparagus spears. Prosciutto is pricey, but delicious.

You can get it for a pretty good price at Costco, along with olives and mozzarella balls. You could marinate the mozz. balls with the olives, and some roasted peppers, and artichokes....make a really yummy Antipasto!

ChefBeckyD said:
There was a really good mini panini recipe that was either a part of the Italian Theme show we had a couple years ago, or it was in the SB when the Grill Press was brought into the product line - or both (sorry, I don't remember!) but I know you can still find it on CC. It was really good! I never made them for shows, but we made them at home quite a bit. In fact, hmmm, now I'm thinking that might be a recipe I need to pull out and dust off!

please share!

Kitchen Diva said:
please share!

Hey Chicky!

I was just about to email you.

I'll go find the recipe first - since you can't look it up on CC!

Okay - there were actually two different recipes - the Panini and the Caprese Mini Sandwiches.

Both are very good! (But it was the Portobello-Chicken Panini I was thinking of)

The Pampered Chef ®
Portobello-Chicken Panini
Recipe

1 tablespoon Basil Oil or olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 large portobello mushroom caps
2 slices (1/2 inch thick) large white onion
1 cup (4 ounces) grated Provolone cheese
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
8 slices (3/4 inch thick) Italian bread such as Vienna
1 cup shredded roasted chicken

1. In Prep Bowl; whisk together oil, vinegar, seasoning mix, salt, black pepper and garlic. Brush mushroom caps and onion slices with vinaigrette using Chef's Silicone Basting Brush.

2. Heat Grill Pan over medium heat 5 minutes. Place mushrooms and onion onto grid of pan; place Grill Press on top. Cook 4-6 minutes, turning once. Remove to Large Grooved Cutting Board. Thinly slice mushrooms on the bias using Santoku Knife. Cut onion slices in half; set aside.

3. Grate cheese using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Slice tomatoes using Ultimate Mandoline using v-shaped blade. To assemble sandwiches, generously spray one side of each bread slice with oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Arrange four bread slices oil side down on cutting board; top with half of the cheese. Arrange chicken, mushrooms, onion and tomatoes over cheese. Top with remaining cheese and remaining bread slices, oil side up.

4. Wipe Grill Pan with paper towel, if necessary; heat over medium-low heat 5 minutes. Place sandwiches on pan and place Grill Press over sandwiches. Cook 4-6 minutes, turning once using Jumbo Slotted Turner. Serve warm.

Yield: 4 sandwiches

Nutrients per serving: Calories 590, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Carbohydrate 73 g, Protein 29 g, Sodium 1340 mg, Fiber 5 g

Cook's Tip: Italian seasoning can be substituted for the Italian Seasoning Mix, if desired.

To make mini paninis, substitute half of a 16-ounce French baguette, cut into sixteen 1/2-inch-thick slices, for the Italian bread. Substitute six baby portobello mushroom caps for the large portobello mushrooms. Proceed as recipe directs; cut paninis in half with Bread Knife.

© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001
The Pampered Chef ®
Caprese Mini Sandwiches
Recipe

4 flat pita bread rounds (without pockets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Mix
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2-3 balls fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (about 8 ounces)
2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light balsamic salad dressing
4 cups mixed baby salad greens or spinach leaves

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place pita rounds on Large Round Stone; drizzle with oil, spreading evenly. Sprinkle evenly with seasoning mix. Coarsely grate Parmesan cheese over pita rounds using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove from oven.

2. Meanwhile, slice mozzarella cheese using Egg Slicer Plus® and slice tomatoes using Utility Knife; set aside. For pesto, place basil and walnuts on Cutting Board; finely chop together using Food Chopper. Combine basil mixture, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and salt in Classic Batter Bowl; mix well.

3. Turn over pita rounds on baking stone; drizzle with dressing, spreading evenly to edges. Using Crinkle Cutter, cut each round into six wedges. Remove half of the pita wedges to Cutting Board. Top each wedge with a small amount of the greens. Place one slice of mozzarella cheese over greens; top with pesto and one slice of tomato. Top with remaining pita wedges, cheese side up, forming 12 mini sandwiches. Secure with sandwich picks, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 12 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 150, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 13 g, Protein 7 g, Sodium 160 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: To toast walnuts, spread over bottom of Small Oval Baker. Microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted, stirring after each 30-second interval.

Allow walnuts to cool completely before finely chopping with the basil. This will help to maintain the bright color of this flavorful paste.

© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey Chicky!

I was just about to email you.

I'll go find the recipe first - since you can't look it up on CC!

I can, I'm just lazy...errr I mean sick. (cough, sniffle, cough). :)

Thanks guys, those sound great!

Teresa Lynn said:
the drippy candles are 2 per box at hobby lobby I usually stock up when they are 1/2 off

you could do food in hurricane candle holders too

(do you have any old catalogs from taste of home entertaining or southern living they have good ideas on displaying things)

the paninis would be good have everyone make their own (or a designated chef maybe a teen)

Well, I just spent the day shopping... Hobby Lobby, World Market, Michaels, Party Central... NOTHING!!! I couldn't find any of the cool Chianti bottles, full or empty (because I am so willing to take one for the team and drink the wine out of it, to get the empty bottle, but alas, I couldn't find one). I couldn't find the drippy candles... at least nothing that said drippy candles (or anything that sounded like them). There was basically nothing Italian... getting a little discouraged, I guess I need to just get more creative...... :cry:

when is the party?
I can mail you some I think they are $5 for a box of 2 I'm sure ours still have themdid you try a liquor store for the chianti? We always find it at world market

Teresa Lynn said:
when is the party?
I can mail you some I think they are $5 for a box of 2 I'm sure ours still have them

did you try a liquor store for the chianti? We always find it at world market

wow! That is so sweet of you to offer, but that's okay... actually after I posted I went to Amazon and they have them so I'll just order some from there. But again thank you so much! I guess I can just put them in regular wine bottles... it won't be quite as cool, but it'll still be good... so I guess I'd better get to drinking my wine! If you think of any other ideas, I'm still looking!

Some recipe ideas:

Sun-dried tomato pesto brie (though not the cheapest offering)
Cappucino Mousse Trifle (inexpensive and the bowl will add height to your food table)
Caprese Pizza or Spinach-Carbonara Pizza
Spinach-Artichoke Braid (I make this at my "evening in tuscany" shows; it's relatively inexpensive, goes a long way, and is liked even by folks who don't like the individual ingrediants.)

Whoo Hoooo!! I found the Chianti Bottle at Sam's Club of all places!!! Of course, it has wine in it, so I'll have to drink it... oh well, I'll take one for the team!!! I am so excited!!! Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! They sound great!

you got more than one I hope :) you know for a stunning visual effect....

I volunteer to help you drink the wine. :)
In the interest of helping out, of course!

chefann said:
I volunteer to help you drink the wine. :)
In the interest of helping out, of course!

Oh, you are soooo sweet! So giving & generous!! haha! I actually only bought one, DH was with me and thought that spending that much on a bottle of wine that I didn't even know if I liked was stupid, so I'll go back later this week and get another... I'm sure if I don't like it alone I can add something to it to make it drinkable... problem is I've had this headcold so I haven't even had a chance to try it yet... or I could put it in another container and serve it at the party! Now there's a thought... although, ;) It'll be much more fun to drink it myself! haha!

mmm.... I like chianti. It's best when you're in Italy, though. :) I have a great picture of all the "dead soldiers" from a party we had when my choir was there. It was the 4th of July after the Sept. 11 attacks, so we had to live it up. As the clock struck midnight and the calendar turned over to 7/4, we sang God Bless America on the balcony of the room where we were partying.

chefann said:
mmm.... I like chianti. It's best when you're in Italy, though. :) I have a great picture of all the "dead soldiers" from a party we had when my choir was there. It was the 4th of July after the Sept. 11 attacks, so we had to live it up. As the clock struck midnight and the calendar turned over to 7/4, we sang God Bless America on the balcony of the room where we were partying.

Wow! sounds very cool! What a great memory to have!!! Maybe someday I'll make it to Italy... may have to go with someone else, my DH doesn't seem to have any desire to go to any other country... I'll keep dreaming!

1. What are some ideas for Italian-themed decorations for a surprise party?

Some ideas for Italian-themed decorations could include hanging string lights in the colors of the Italian flag, setting up a table with a red and white checkered tablecloth, displaying Italian flags or banners, and using Italian-inspired centerpieces such as wine bottles with candles or bowls of fresh pasta.

2. What types of food should I serve at an Italian-themed surprise party?

For an Italian-themed surprise party, some popular food options could include various types of pasta such as spaghetti, penne, or lasagna, as well as dishes like chicken parmesan, pizza, and antipasto platters. Don't forget to include some classic Italian desserts like cannolis or tiramisu.

3. Do you have any recommendations for Italian-themed party favors?

Some ideas for Italian-themed party favors could include mini bottles of olive oil or balsamic vinegar, small bags of Italian candies or chocolates, or personalized pasta packages with a custom label or tag. You could also consider giving out small jars of homemade pasta sauce or Italian spices.

4. Should I have a dress code for the Italian-themed surprise party?

Having a dress code can add to the fun and authenticity of an Italian-themed surprise party. You could suggest that guests dress in colors of the Italian flag, wear Italian-inspired clothing such as gondolier hats or aprons, or even come dressed as their favorite Italian celebrity or character.

5. Are there any fun activities or games I can plan for an Italian-themed surprise party?

Yes, there are many fun activities and games that can be incorporated into an Italian-themed surprise party. Some ideas could include a pasta-making competition, a pizza-tossing contest, or a trivia game about Italian culture and history. You could also have a photo booth with Italian-themed props for guests to take pictures with.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sandilou
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
dana_jni
  • melissainohio
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
bsaxman
  • NewtoMom