• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies - Question??

next day. They were still really delicious and went over really well.They are the best right out of the oven, but still wonderful the next day. I made them for a booth that I did one time and cut them up into bite size pieces (I didn't stuff the rolos I just used the whole amount and cut them all into quarters and sprinkled them) and then served them the...next day. They were still really delicious and went over really well.
PamperedSD
I'm making this yummy dessert for the first time tonight. It will be my first test recipe with my mini kit tools. I am making it to test my "Pamper a Business" idea that I got from this great site. I'm doing it at my job to see how it goes over.

Here is my question - when I bought all the ingredients to make this I spent almost 16 bucks. In previous threads people list this as a great dessert to make for a "Pamper a Business" show. Any ideas on how to make this a little more affordable? :cry:

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place - I wasn't sure where to post it.
THANKS!
:chef:

Sorry no ideas on cutting the cost...but they are sooooo yummy.

If you have the silicone pans....why not make a simple cake mix & frost with a glaze. Wouldn't cost much more than the cake mix and could be left sitting out.

Cut them small--they are plenty rich.

To cut costs, buy nuts in bulk and store them in the freezer. The Rolos that come in a bag instead of rolls are also cheaper, although then you have to stand there and unwrap them all. If you can find the rolls of candy on sale and stock up, it will keep for quite a while. You can also use chopped pretzels in place of the nuts to reduce costs and make the brownies safe for people with nut allergies.

I stock up on brownie mix when it is on sale, buy off brand real choc. chips, buy cheap salted nuts, & buy caramel sauce topping (this has workrd so much better for me - you don't have to unroll & cut the caramel & it is just as cheap) I spend only $7 when I make mine by themselves, but sometimes I like to add vanilla icecream - yummy to my tummy!! :):)I'm one of these people when it is on sale I stock up, so this may not work for everyone & too, prices are different across the country.
They are definitely a crowd pleaser, I made them at a show a couple weeks ago & people who didn't even like brownies:eek: were amazed.

1234blessed said:
I stock up on brownie mix when it is on sale, buy off brand real choc. chips, buy cheap salted nuts, & buy caramel sauce topping (this has workrd so much better for me - you don't have to unroll & cut the caramel & it is just as cheap) I spend only $7 when I make mine by themselves, but sometimes I like to add vanilla icecream - yummy to my tummy!! :):)I'm one of these people when it is on sale I stock up, so this may not work for everyone & too, prices are different across the country.
They are definitely a crowd pleaser, I made them at a show a couple weeks ago & people who didn't even like brownies:eek: were amazed.

Have you done a taste comparison with the caramel sauce and the rolos? Because I love these with the rolos, can't imagine substituting them! :eek:

The caramel sauce also couldn't be inserted easily like most of the rolos are. (I need to pull my mind out of the gutter, because that sounds like something completely different.)

chefann said:
The caramel sauce also couldn't be inserted easily like most of the rolos are. (I need to pull my mind out of the gutter, because that sounds like something completely different.)

:blushing: hehehehe, I went there too!

Thank you for the suggestions. The rollos were on sale so I will go back and stock up! I'll also shop around for generic mix & chips to stock up and the nuts in bulk. I'm sure this will really help cut down on the costs!

Has anyone made these the night before and then served them? I did this but should I try reheating them at work today?

I use pretzels rather than nuts, you can find them a lot cheaper

PamperedSD said:
Thank you for the suggestions. The rollos were on sale so I will go back and stock up! I'll also shop around for generic mix & chips to stock up and the nuts in bulk. I'm sure this will really help cut down on the costs!

Has anyone made these the night before and then served them? I did this but should I try reheating them at work today?

They are the best right out of the oven, but still wonderful the next day. I made them for a booth that I did one time and cut them up into bite size pieces (I didn't stuff the rolos I just used the whole amount and cut them all into quarters and sprinkled them) and then served them the next day and everyone loved them! It also worked well because they were in the SB and when anyone wanted the recipe I sold them a SB, they went fast!

I've made these for a fair. One of the women who organized out booth decided that we would have samples for people, and this was one of the things she picked (we also had beer bread mini muffins). If you let them cool completely, you can cut them into 1" squares, and get 150 samples from a single pan. I think we skipped the inserted candy for those, since that would mean that some of the samples could be only candy. But anyhoo... they were served the day after they were baked, and were completely cool. Still a big hit!

Another suggestion for that, I put parchment paper in before I made them and then lifted them out onto the large cutting board and cut them using the pizza cutter and cut them diagonally, little fancier, can't remember how many I ended up with but I didn't run out all day, but the parchment paper made it a lot easier to do this!

Great idea with the parchment paper. I'm definitely doing that next time I make them. And thanks chefann for the cost saving tips.

Everytime I make these brownies I sell quite a few large bar pans. They are great b/c you can make them ahead of time and bring them to the show.

I tried the caramel brownies the other day and they were delicious. I used 2 packages of the costco brownie mix with choc chips and cooked it in the large bar pan. I was just wondering how long most of you cook them for. It seemed to take forever and were very hard to transfer to a plate. Any suggestions? I am doing this for a party Thurs.

ChefPaulaB said:
Another suggestion for that, I put parchment paper in before I made them and then lifted them out onto the large cutting board and cut them using the pizza cutter and cut them diagonally, little fancier, can't remember how many I ended up with but I didn't run out all day, but the parchment paper made it a lot easier to do this!
This may be a dumb question, but how do you use the parchment paper in your bar pan? I tried this once and just couldn't figure out how it was supposed to go. Do you just have it be large and oversized and smush the batter into the corners to hold it down, or do you cut 2 pieces, one going one direction, one going the other. I know I'm probably over-thinking this. But I struggled with the corners and getting the parchment paper to stay down. :rolleyes:

Use 1 piece, with the width of the roll (15") on the long measurement of the pan. You'll have 2 ends sticking up on those sides that will allow you to lift the brownie up. You can squish the corners down a little, but the batter usually holds it down.

Sounds pretty simple, I guess I'll have to try it again. :D

scavallero said:
I tried the caramel brownies the other day and they were delicious. I used 2 packages of the costco brownie mix with choc chips and cooked it in the large bar pan. I was just wondering how long most of you cook them for. It seemed to take forever and were very hard to transfer to a plate. Any suggestions? I am doing this for a party Thurs.

Does the directions call for 2 packages? I didn't think it did, that may have been your problem... too much batter.

ChefPaulaB said:
Does the directions call for 2 packages? I didn't think it did, that may have been your problem... too much batter.

The Costco Mix (if it's the Ghiradelli one I buy) is for an 8x8 pan, so if you want to make a 9x13, you are supposed to use 2. I'm not sure what the caramel brownies calls for...(don't like them, so I never make them!)

I can't remember the name of the candy, but instead of Rollos I use the kind of candy that is a ball of caramel covered in chocolate. They only cost $1 and work just as well. You can even cut them in half to make them stretch further.Love the caramel topping thing and will do this if I ever demo these at a show. Ditto for the pretzels, though I often buy the mixed nuts at a dollar store or use peanuts. As long as you don't get the Spanish kind, they are cheaper and just as effective.If I am pampering a business (and I have kind of given this a rest because it hasn't worked so well for me) I can just make regular brownies, maybe mixing in some chocolate. I'm sensitive to nut allergies (have a nephew who's allergic) so I tend not to like giving things with nuts if I don't know who's eating them

I did use the ghiradelli and it called for 2 packages for a 13x9 pan, 24 servings. They were the perfect thickness. I guess I will just cook them a little longer.

scavallero said:
I did use the ghiradelli and it called for 2 packages for a 13x9 pan, 24 servings. They were the perfect thickness. I guess I will just cook them a little longer.
I guess we're talking about 2 different recipes... sorry, or maybe I'm just not understanding...

ChefPaulaB said:
I guess we're talking about 2 different recipes... sorry, or maybe I'm just not understanding...

No - just different brownie mixes. The Costco brownie mix is packaged differently, so that you can make a small batch up to a VERY large batch (like for institutional use)

ChefBeckyD said:
No - just different brownie mixes. The Costco brownie mix is packaged differently, so that you can make a small batch up to a VERY large batch (like for institutional use)

Hmmm, okay, I think that I understand now, I thought it sounded like she was using a 9x13 pan instead of the large bar pan and that she was using 2 packages of 9x13 brownie mixes, and that would be wrong, I misunderstood... Sorry! I'll try to keep up next time! :balloon:

I just read through all of the posts again and I must've "skimmed" because I missed a lot of details there, I again apologize! I totally blew that one! No more skimming for me!!!:blushing:

It does sound sorta like that doesn't it?

It's just that with the Costco mix, if you want to make a 9X13 batch of brownies (which is what's called for in the WNC Brownie recipe) you have to use 2 packages of mix. One package makes an 8x8 batch.

I think they were probably too soft, because that is a really soft, fudgy brownie to begin with. When I make them, we usually end up having to eat them with a fork. After they've sat for a day or two - they are easier to pick up and eat.

I've had a problem doing this recipe with the Ghirardelli mix that's sold at Costco (and, I assume, other warehouse clubs). The chips in the mix make it completely over the top, and it's a softer texture brownie than the standard grocery store mixes. I've found that the basic store mixes (that make a 9x13 pan) work the best. In fact, with all the "gorping up" that's done to this recipe, it's not even worth the additional expense to get a name brand mix. Get the store brand and save yourself the money.

chefann said:
I've had a problem doing this recipe with the Ghirardelli mix that's sold at Costco (and, I assume, other warehouse clubs). The chips in the mix make it completely over the top, and it's a softer texture brownie than the standard grocery store mixes. I've found that the basic store mixes (that make a 9x13 pan) work the best. In fact, with all the "gorping up" that's done to this recipe, it's not even worth the additional expense to get a name brand mix. Get the store brand and save yourself the money.

Basically, the Ghirardelli brownies are just better than an avg. mix, and don't need any other "gorping".;)

Hmmm, I love brownies, now you all have me curious about these Ghiradelli brownies... We don't have a Costco, wonder if they have them at Sam's Club, going there today, will have to check. And all this talk about the WNCB is making me feel the need to make them... Good thing that I have 2 family reunions this weekend! I think this'll be my dessert for it, but I'm going to use the pretzels for them, my DS is allergic to peanuts, I've just kept him away from them in the past, but I think I'll try the pretzel option this time, sounds good! Thanks for reminding me of these! Now I don't have to sit and try to decide what to bring, these and Corn Bake!

I just made these today to pamper a business... HUGE hit!!
I used 1/2 of a 900 g package of a basic brownie mix, since the recipe calls for a 450 g package. On the brownie package, it says that amount would be used for an 8X8 pan, but that is the correct amount for the recipe. I found that with all the extra 'stuff' in this recipe, you wouldn't want the brownies to be any thicker. They are quite thin, but I think that's how they're supposed to be.
Someone mentioned serving these with ice cream... they would be AMAZING with ice cream!
In terms of keeping costs down - our dollar store sells pkgs of Rolos for $0.65 (the recipe uses 4 pkgs), containers of peanuts for $1, the brownie mix was $5.19 (which will make 2 recipes). I buy chocolate chips in bulk at Costco.
So my costs for one recipe was $6.20 plus the chocolate chips.
Not too bad - my commission from the pamper a business should easily cover that... I'm picking up my pan and the orders after work this afternoon.

I decided to use a med bar pan and 1 pkg ghiradelli bownie mix from costco (8x8) It fit perfect, what a great alternative to using those glass square pans where the sides always come out hard. Everyone was impressed. I used the pretzels instead of the nuts (Hostess did not like nuts) and it was delicious. Thanks for the tips.

if you are using regular brownie mix, I found Walmart has 13x9 brownie mix for $1 a box. That's as good or better than the best sale prices in our local grocery stores. I'm just going to start buying my show-food there! As much as I hate walmart, it does save me alot of money!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • lindsaym
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
lindsaym