• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warm Nutty Caramel Brownie Disaster!

In summary, the author tried the Chocolate Chip Sensation, but it was not a fan favorite. The texture was grainy and too sweet.
HeatherB
:cry:
But thanks goodness I made it at home for MY family before I did it at a show.
Its was super hard, Stuck to the pan and my dessert/chocolate loving husband didnt care for it... something about texture.
What a huge disaster. Now I have to call the Hostess and convince her to do something different for 20 people!! She wanted something chocolate and I think she even requested this recipe. :eek:
Is it any better in the sheet pain instead of the bar board?

I am having a minor meltdown here searching for recipes!! and wondering what I got myself into.

Not sure what to tell you - I've made this many times at shows in the large bar pan and it's always a hit. Serving it with vanilla ice cream seems to help as well - cuts the extreme richness of it.

I think the problem might be if you let it cool too long. Some of the ingredients get really hard if they are left in the pan too long.

I had a similar problem when I first made it. The first couple pieces I cut right away and then let it sit a while and I had to chisel them out.

We don't like this at all at our house - and we're all chocolate AND brownie lovers.

The extra brown sugar makes it grainy and teeth achingly too sweet. :yuck:

And they do get hard once they're cooled. Who wants a hard brownie?

Try the Chocolate Chip Sensation - I've made that in the bar pan. Just type in Chocolate Chip in the files section, and the recipe will come up. It's a WINNER!:thumbup:

OKay please excuse my stupidity but how do you manage to scrape it off the bar pan (instead of the pizza stone)with a knife.
This show is Friday, its midnight here now!!

ChefBeckyD said:
Who wants a hard brownie?

Ummm... I would very much like a hard brownie, thank you very much! :p:p:p:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

AJPratt said:
Ummm... I would very much like a hard brownie, thank you very much! :p:p:p:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

LOL - at my shows, when I'm talking about how well the stoneware bakes, I make a comment about how they won't have to eat the hard brownies around the edges anymore. Then I say "I know, I know - there are a couple moms in the group who are going to say 'But I LOVE the hard brownies around the edges'. I am here to tell you that No! You don't! The only reason you think you do is because you are the Mom, and so you give the nice soft chewy brownies to the rest of the family and eat the hard ones yourself - and it's just what you've gotten used to! I am here to liberate you from hard brownies!...and while I'm at it - the back is NOT your favorite piece of the chicken either!" :D:D:D

I dont know but these were H.A.R.D. And yes the texture was grainy. I sure would LOVE to do the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder but she is serving lasagna. And a chisel wasnt what I needed, more like a jack hammer!I may just do the dump cake. Which doesnt seem like its a showy recipe...but it just may be what I need for this crowd. She has said she has over 25 ppl coming! They all excited because they have not seen PC in the area in ages. YAY ME!I plan to concentrate more on the gift displays I have all set up for the craft fair the next morning. Then again I could be wrong taking it in this direction. I dunno ,I am going to bed now. Thank you for every ones help!!

HeatherB said:
I dont know but these were H.A.R.D. And yes the texture was grainy. I sure would LOVE to do the Loaded Baked Potato Chowder but she is serving lasagna.

And a chisel wasnt what I needed, more like a jack hammer!

I may just do the dump cake. Which doesnt seem like its a showy recipe...but it just may be what I need for this crowd. She has said she has over 25 ppl coming! They all excited because they have not seen PC in the area in ages. YAY ME!

I plan to concentrate more on the gift displays I have all set up for the craft fair the next morning. Then again I could be wrong taking it in this direction.

I dunno ,I am going to bed now.

Thank you for every ones help!!

Heather - did you see the post about trying the Chocolate Chip Sensation?

Look it up in the files section - it's fabulous!

I dont have a pizza stone

HeatherB said:
I dont have a pizza stone

you can do it in the bar pan. Anything you can do on a round stone, you can do in the bar pan...except make round pizza. It's actually much easier to cut into 20-25 pieces if it's in the bar pan.

ChefBeckyD said:
you can do it in the bar pan. Anything you can do on a round stone, you can do in the bar pan...except make round pizza. It's actually much easier to cut into 20-25 pieces if it's in the bar pan.

OKay please excuse my stupidity but how do you manage to scrape it off the bar pan (instead of the pizza stone)with a knife.

This show is Friday, its midnight here now. I am going to bed. Catch up in the morning.

HeatherB said:

This show is Friday, its midnight here now. I am going to bed. Catch up in the morning.

What do you mean - scrape it off the bar pan? I use the mini serving spatula and serve it off the bar pan. I'm not sure what you mean by scrape it off, and why would you use a knife?

When you make brownies in the bar pan, you have to watch the cooking time--it needs to be less due to the size of the pan. I've over-baked brownies many times in the bar pan because the batter is so much thinner. Also, the batter can be thick and sometimes I have a hard time making sure that I'm spreading it out super evenly. I've only made those brownies 3 times for shows and most people do like them, but they are super rich and I warn my host that she might want ice cream or a glass of milk to offer her guests. :)I use the pizza wheel to cut the brownies, and then the mini serving spatula to cut the edge part that the wheel can't reach and to dish them out.

Are you talking about the ones that stuck? You may have to "soak" it some to get it loose enough to scrap off!

ChefBeckyD said:
What do you mean - scrape it off the bar pan? I use the mini serving spatula and serve it off the bar pan. I'm not sure what you mean by scrape it off, and why would you use a knife?

I think what she is referring to is when you Carefully loosen cookie from Baking Stone using Serrated Bread Knife... I would think that wouldn't be neccessary if you are making it in the large bar pan, correct? I have a question about switching it to the bar pan though, do you have to double it or are the ingredients the same? And also, you spread the dough all the way to the edges or do you just make it a rectangle in the middle of the pan?

Chocolate Chip Sensation
(Delightful Desserts...pg 18)

1 (18 oz) pkg refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 pint (2 cups) cold half-and-half
1 (3.9 oz) pkg chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
1/4 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Shape cookie dough into a ball in center of Large Round Stone. Using lightly floured Baker's Roller, roll out dough to 12-inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Bake 12-15 minutes or until edge is set. (Cookie will be soft. Do not overbake). Cool 10 minutes. Carefully loosen cookie from Baking Stone using Serrated Bread Knife; cool completely on Baking Stone.

2. In Small Batter Bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until well blended; set aside. Pour half-and-half into Classic Batter Bowl; add pudding mix and whisk 2 minutes using Stainless Steel Whisk. Let stand 5 minutes until thickened.

3. Spread cream cheese mixture over thoroughly cooled cookie to within 1/2 inch of edge using Large Spreader. Spread pudding over cream cheese. Sprinkle with nuts. Cut into wedges using Slice 'N Serve. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Makes 16 servings.

Ahhh, I get it now!

I've done this recipe a lot in times past, and it's been a while since I actually paid close attention to the directions. :D

I just loosen it a bit around the edges with the mini serving spatula. When I make it, I use the same ratio of ingredients, and I spread it close to the edges, but not all the way...it will spread a little. It bakes a little quicker too - so 10-12 minutes and then check.

I second or third the Chocolate Chip Sensation! Great as a beginner recipe and DElicious!

I make Chocolate chip sensation in the large bar pan all the time. I use the large tube of cookie dough but the rest of the ingredients are the same. You don't have to worry about loosining it around the edges just use the mini serving spatula to serve. I also had a tub of cool whip on the top and then a grated chocolate bar.

wadesgirl said:
I make Chocolate chip sensation in the large bar pan all the time. I use the large tube of cookie dough but the rest of the ingredients are the same. You don't have to worry about loosining it around the edges just use the mini serving spatula to serve. I also had a tub of cool whip on the top and then a grated chocolate bar.

Do you mean the large TUB or tube??

The tube of refrigerated cookie dough is most likely what she meant. There are two sizes of chocolate chip 'tubes' by pillsbury. kind of looks like the tubes that ground sausage comes in.

Yes a tube. Pillsbury tube, by the frigerated biscuts. Like Crystal said there are two sizes. The small one works best on the round stone and the large one works best in the large bar pan.

Doesnt anyone here use parchment paper? I use it to line everything! Super easy cleanup and no stuck food. I use it to line the bar pan for brownies, the DCB to roast chicken, the list goes on and on and on. Theres no added fat from greasing the pan. I really like the way the stones cook and bake, but I really dont care if my stones are "seasoned". To me, its about heat distribution and the finished product of the FOOD, who cares what color the stone is? Parchment paper all the way, thats what I say. I buy mine for home in a huge roll from Costco, but when I do a show, I take the PC product with me. Just my $0.02 :)

HeatherB, I just wanted to check to make sure you used Rolos when you made your Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies. My friend misinterpreted the "milk chocolate covered chews" that the recipe calls for as the caramels that are used for caramel apples. Her brownies turned out to be a rock-solid mess, and when she brought me a chunk I could see what the problem was.

I wish they would put an asterisk at the bottom of the recipe with the note: "We used Rolos in this recipe" or something like that.

AZPampered Chef said:
HeatherB, I just wanted to check to make sure you used Rolos when you made your Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies. My friend misinterpreted the "milk chocolate covered chews" that the recipe calls for as the caramels that are used for caramel apples. Her brownies turned out to be a rock-solid mess, and when she brought me a chunk I could see what the problem was.

I wish they would put an asterisk at the bottom of the recipe with the note: "We used Rolos in this recipe" or something like that.

I did use the Rolo's. I think they just got too cold and then stuck for good. Which is not good for a new Consultant who doesnt work as fast.

CaribooMom said:
Doesnt anyone here use parchment paper? I use it to line everything! Super easy cleanup and no stuck food. I use it to line the bar pan for brownies, the DCB to roast chicken, the list goes on and on and on. Theres no added fat from greasing the pan. I really like the way the stones cook and bake, but I really dont care if my stones are "seasoned". To me, its about heat distribution and the finished product of the FOOD, who cares what color the stone is? Parchment paper all the way, thats what I say. I buy mine for home in a huge roll from Costco, but when I do a show, I take the PC product with me. Just my $0.02 :)

I use parchment when I am baking multiple pans of cookies - or if the recipe calls for it.

Other than that, I WANT my stones to be well seasoned. ;)

HeatherB said:
I did use the Rolo's. I think they just got too cold and then stuck for good. Which is not good for a new Consultant who doesnt work as fast.

I'm wondering if you just overcooked them, because every time I make them they are fabulous! And we eat them the next day and the next (if they last that long). I made them once for booth and I made them the day before and cut them up small and had them sitting out for people and they were just as chewey and moist as when I first took them out of the oven. WE love these, just don't make them very often because they are soooo rich and fattening!

Okay, just talked to the hostess and she agreed to the Autumn Apple Cherry Crisp. (insert huge sigh of relief here!!)I also talked to her about her guest list and she said she has 22 confirmed guests. (insert another panic attack here).My recruiter has offered to come with me several times so I took her up on it. She also said she would make a AACC in her baker and bring it with her. I think I am going to be okay! I feel very positive now. I actually feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster these past few days but I am sure I will just roll with the punches eventually!! Thank you everyone again, for your help!

Tube. A tub of cookie dough will over-fill the large bar pan.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - at my shows, when I'm talking about how well the stoneware bakes, I make a comment about how they won't have to eat the hard brownies around the edges anymore. Then I say "I know, I know - there are a couple moms in the group who are going to say 'But I LOVE the hard brownies around the edges'. I am here to tell you that No! You don't! The only reason you think you do is because you are the Mom, and so you give the nice soft chewy brownies to the rest of the family and eat the hard ones yourself - and it's just what you've gotten used to! I am here to liberate you from hard brownies!...and while I'm at it - the back is NOT your favorite piece of the chicken either!" :D:D:D

I think I am having an "aha" moment!

ChefPaulaB said:
I'm wondering if you just overcooked them, because every time I make them they are fabulous! And we eat them the next day and the next (if they last that long). I made them once for booth and I made them the day before and cut them up small and had them sitting out for people and they were just as chewey and moist as when I first took them out of the oven. WE love these, just don't make them very often because they are soooo rich and fattening!

When life is a little less stressful, try the brownies again, and maybe try Paula's advice about watching the cooking time. I've made these a number of times to pamper a business, and if I'm taking sweets along for a gathering. (I'd never make them for just the two of us, as they're definitely very rich). They're a little messy to eat (mine are always quite soft, and because they're quite thin they fall apart easily), but absolutely yummy, and I have kept leftovers for a few days and they're still great.

But that chocolate chip cookie recipe looks amazing as well... Too many yummy recipes to choose from!

I love the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies and have made them at least twice at shows. Hubby is allergic to nuts so I don't make them at home. Always delicious, so I second Lorraine's suggestion that you try them one more time when you aren't panicky. Chocolate Chip Sensation is another favorite of mine...and when I leave off the chopped nuts on top, it's safe for the husband! Please let us all know how the show went.

aPamperedBride said:
I love the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies and have made them at least twice at shows. Hubby is allergic to nuts so I don't make them at home. Always delicious, so I second Lorraine's suggestion that you try them one more time when you aren't panicky. Chocolate Chip Sensation is another favorite of mine...and when I leave off the chopped nuts on top, it's safe for the husband! Please let us all know how the show went.

Try pretzels. I think nuts ruin any kind of chocolate so I do that all the time.

Pretzels in the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies? Or just as a general substitute? I can now make the Taffy Apple Pizza using sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter and it's delicious!

aPamperedBride said:
Pretzels in the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies? Or just as a general substitute? I can now make the Taffy Apple Pizza using sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter and it's delicious!

I mostly just use them for the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies but they can be substituted for other recipes that call for nuts as a topper.

I always undercook any brownies in a stone because they seem to keep cooking when you take them out. I do it for 5 - 7 minutes less time.I've had these turn out hard to but undercooking them seems to help....

1. What is the most common issue with the "Warm Nutty Caramel Brownie Disaster!" recipe?

The most common issue with this recipe is that the brownies can be difficult to remove from the pan and may stick to the bottom.

2. Did you experience this issue with the recipe at a show or at home?

I made the recipe at home for my family before attempting it at a show. Fortunately, I was able to deal with the issue before presenting it to a larger audience.

3. Did your family enjoy the brownies?

Unfortunately, my dessert and chocolate-loving husband did not care for them. He mentioned something about the texture not being to his liking.

4. What should I do if the hostess specifically requested this recipe for a party of 20 people?

If the hostess requested this recipe but it did not turn out well, it may be best to call and discuss alternative options for the party. We have plenty of other delicious chocolate recipes to choose from!

5. Is it better to make this recipe in a sheet pan rather than a bar board?

Some people have found that making this recipe in a sheet pan rather than a bar board can help with removing the brownies from the pan. However, it may also affect the taste and texture of the final product. We recommend testing both methods to see which works best for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
lindsaym
  • Leslie0831
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmeg