• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Veggie Peeler or Mandolin: What to Use for Recipe?

In summary, the author recommends using the Mandoline to slice apples without peeling them, and then following the recipe instructions.
TinasKitchen
I dont have the veggie peeler, am not too great on using the APCS b/c if the apples arent JUST right. So can I use my mandolin but keep the skins on for the recipe? Would that make much of a difference?

TinasKitchen said:
I dont have the veggie peeler, am not too great on using the APCS b/c if the apples arent JUST right. So can I use my mandolin but keep the skins on for the recipe? Would that make much of a difference?

Or how about using the Apple Wedger....after they are cut, its really easy to just peel them & slice them in half ( lengthwise);)

I don't have the APCS so I'm going to do as you said and use my mandoline. I will be cutting them in have and coring them with the Cook's Corer like in the Warm Apple Almond Pastry in the SBCB. Then slicing them with my mandoline. I've been trying to figure out which recipes to make this month and I'm glad you mentioned this one. I love it!

I've used the Mandoline (well, actually the USG at the time) for slicing apples WITH skins. It was for a quick apple pie at a show where the APCS stripped the core of the apple and left it unprocessed.

For demoing an apple recipe with the mandoline, make sure to first use The Corer to remove the core/seeds so they won't get caught on or damage the Mandoline blades. Peeling is totally optional. I'd try both the straight and V blades beforehand to know which one you like best.

:)

Thanks Girls. I'm definitely not peeling them! lol My director told me once i get the hang of the APSC it'll work great.. AND to put the stem part on the thing-a-ma-gig instead of the bottom part. I never knew that. But I'm still uneasy about it.

I will use my Mandolin (which I am beginning to love since I followed the video on CC). For my first party I am doing the Apple Almond Pastry (mmm good) but now I'm thinking I may just call my friend and do this one..
What do you girls think? Which one? crisp or pastry?

Related to Veggie Peeler or Mandolin: What to Use for Recipe?

What is the difference between a veggie peeler and a mandolin?

A veggie peeler is a handheld tool with a sharp blade used for peeling the skin off of fruits and vegetables. A mandolin is a kitchen tool that slices fruits and vegetables into thin, even pieces.

When should I use a veggie peeler?

A veggie peeler is best for removing the skin of fruits and vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, and apples. It can also be used to make thin strips of vegetables for dishes like stir-fries and salads.

When should I use a mandolin?

A mandolin is ideal for slicing fruits and vegetables into uniform, thin slices. It is great for making vegetable chips, slicing cucumbers for salads, and creating even slices for dishes like gratins and tarts.

Which is better for making zucchini noodles - a veggie peeler or a mandolin?

Both a veggie peeler and a mandolin can be used to make zucchini noodles, but a mandolin will create more consistent, thin noodles. However, a veggie peeler can be used to make thicker, wider noodles.

What are the safety precautions when using a mandolin?

When using a mandolin, it is important to always use the hand guard to protect your fingers from the sharp blades. It is also important to keep your fingers away from the blades while slicing and to use a cutting board or protective gloves to prevent accidental cuts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJWarren
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefa
  • nancycookspc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nancycookspc
Replies