• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using a Cheese Shredder - Did I Do Something Wrong?

In summary, the new grater is better than the old grater, but some people do not like it because the shreds come out in long strings and go all over the place. The handle can only be held on by clicking the tabs, and it is easier to use if you hear the handle click.
Loreen
Has anyone tried using theirs? I used mine tonight with soft cheese and don't like it as much as the cheese grater. It seemed like the shreds came out in long strings and went all over the place. And then, the handle flew off, slid across my counter and onto the floor. This would have been very embarrasing if it happened at a show. :eek: Was I doing something wrong?

Sounds to me like you didn't have the barrel firmly attached to the handle. I know I had to double-check that a couple of times.Yes, the shreds are a bit longer, but that is because the well is larger. I used mine on Monterey Jack, and it worked very well. I like the shred. It's kind of a happy medium between the two barrels of the current grater.

I really do not like it either. My handle does not stay on tight, and I am not thrilled w/ how it grates soft cheese.
Guessing my box grater is here to stay!

To keep the handle on, it has to "click". I used mine for cheddar and really liked it way better than the DCG~

I haven't gotten mine yet as I'm in Canada but saw it this weekend at our NC and I was quite disappointed in the quality. It's made of cheap plastic and I was wondering if it would last. Sounds like it's coming apart already for some of you. We saw Brain from the test kitchen use it and it seemed to work well but I then saw Jackie from the test kitchen and she seemed to have more problem manipulating it. I hope I'm wrong and it works well when it gets here.

I've used a bunch of different cheeses in it (sorry, I'm not well versed in cheese enough to know which are soft and which are hard) and I hate the way the strands come out long and get tangled up with each other. I wind up with a big knot of cheese strands.

I've got to be doing something wrong. I haven't watched the video yet, hoping that will help me.

IAmChefJ said:
I've got to be doing something wrong. I haven't watched the video yet, hoping that will help me.

Which video would that be? I think I am missing something.

I love the new grater. I used it last night for spaghetti and both kids and DH really liked it. DH even commented how much easier it was to use than the DCG. I didn't even have to ask! Make sure you hear the handle click, that means both tabs are secure. As for the longer shreds, you can go forward and backward with this one. Try it forward for a bit and then backward and see if that will make the shreds the way you like them.

paigev71 said:
Which video would that be? I think I am missing something.

The F/W dvd that will come in your first supply order. It has all the new products on it and how to use them as well as the new recipes being demonstrated.

Last edited:
it still works great for blue cheese for our wedge salads and egg yolks for deviled eggs

I L:love:VE IT!!

You do have to be sure that both tabs click to lock the handle but that's easy once you realize it. I l:love:ve that the soft cheeses do not clump in the barrel like the other one did. I will probably still use the microplane most of the time for hard cheeses because I so l:love:ve that tool too but I am so thankful that they fixed this one for the soft cheese!!

Ok, now someone is going to have to list for me the hard cheeses vs. the soft cheeses. Maybe I just don't use any hard cheese. LOL

Thanks for the back and forth tip, that makes sense!

Hard cheeses are those like Parmesan. Soft cheeses give when you press into them (softer to the touch) - like Monterey Jack.

I just got mine, but haven't used it yet.

I love the new grater. It does have smaller shreds of cheese but again I absolultly love mine.

LOVE IT! My DH new toy.

I just used it tonight when making the Chipotle Chicken Cornbread cups, and I love how easily it shredded the cheddar. I didn't like that it came out in a long twisted strand. The cheese just stuck together in a clump. I will have to try grating forwards and then in reverse and see of that helps any.

I heard that back and forth works great. Forward backward quickly. I just took mine out of the box, tonight.

I really like mine :)
I agree, the handle has to click.

I haven't ordered mine yet, but see the new one at our cluster meeting.

I agree the quality doesn't seem as good as the old one and many of us are afraid of the handles breaking off where you have to click it.

I actaully tried mine the other day to shread baby carrots! It was OK. And i also did cheder in it last night. I feel like you got to hold it down too hard for it to work...scared of breaking it...it does seem to be made of cheap plastic. And i dind't feel like i got alot out of what i grated. I'm planning on using it at a show on Sunday so i hope it works ok. And not having a dhish washer it was a little of a pain to clean by hand.

I was really glad to see this topic on here cause i came on this morning to start something similar. My sister ordered the DCG last night at a show and i don't know if I should tell her to wait for the new one or not. But after reading this i still don't know which to recommend. I guess, she'll order the current one and if she doesn't like it she can return it and order the new rotary grater when it comes out.

I seemed to get quite a bit out of the cheese I grated....I put a tiny block in there and it just kept coming and coming...lol. My friends were like...holy crap all that cheese from that tiny block??

Thanks everyone for your comments & suggestions. I'm going to try using it again with different cheeses and see how it goes. Maybe this is one of the products that needs a little practice to get the results we want. Uggh!

I love my new grater! I've found that when the strands get too long, I just go in reverse and that "cuts" them. I like that I have the option for long or short strands.

I have not noticed that the plastic is lower quality...I had to replace my DCG 3 times because the handle cracked each time...the new one actually feels sturdier to me.

As far as the new vs. the old, I've been selling the DCG but letting them know it's being retired and restyled...I explain the differences (medium shred, larger barrel, Grate Container no longer available, etc.) and then let them decide. Some decide the want the old one, some want to wait for the new one. It's all good!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Thanks for the tip about going backwards to cut the strings!

I just got mine last night, after we ate spagetti with parmesan from the old grater. I hope to use it this weekend, I will keep the forward and reverse tip in mind when I do it. Thanks!

1. How do I clean my cheese shredder?

Cleaning your cheese shredder is easy! Simply disassemble the shredder and wash the parts with warm soapy water. You can also run it through the dishwasher for added convenience.

2. Why is my cheese shredder getting stuck?

If your cheese shredder is getting stuck, it is likely due to the cheese being too hard or too cold. Try allowing the cheese to come to room temperature before shredding, or using a softer cheese.

3. Can I shred other types of food with my cheese shredder?

Yes, our cheese shredders are versatile and can be used to shred other types of food such as vegetables, fruits, and chocolate. Just make sure to clean the shredder thoroughly between uses.

4. How do I prevent my cheese from sticking to the shredder?

To prevent cheese from sticking to the shredder, lightly coat the blades with cooking spray or oil before shredding. This will help the cheese slide off more easily.

5. Is it safe to use my cheese shredder on a hot dish?

No, it is not recommended to use your cheese shredder on a hot dish. The heat can damage the blades and potentially cause injury. It is best to shred the cheese separately and then add it to your dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefjeanine
  • Pampered Zoe
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedkel
  • kcjodih