• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ok, I Got Leeks for the Blt Mac-N-Cheese in the New Cookbook.they

ever introduce it to a child, and have never had a single problem.I've made leek soup from scratch before. Be careful not to overcook them or they turn into mush. You might want to use two leeks or even three to give your soup some more flavor. I cook them in water with some butter until they are tender-crisp. Chop them up as you would for potato soup. Be careful not to overcook or they get
KellyTheChef
Gold Member
OK, I got leeks for the BLT mac-n-cheese in the new cookbook.

They came in a package of 3 HUGE leeks and I only need one. Can I somehow save the others? I have actually never used leeks and don't have a clue!

Any other uses for them?

Do they taste like an onion? Can I sautee them to use on pizza or something?

TIA

Milder than onion - but in the same family. They are great in soups, quiches, anything you would use onions for. Saute them in a little oil and butter - Yummy! I've never put them on Pizza but I'm sure they would be good! Mmmmm, maybe a Pesto Pizza w/ artichokes, leeks, and a little Feta?

Leek is a milder tasting cousin to the onion. Great in stews and soups! Carmalize some, make cream of leek soup, etc.

Pretty much, treat them like onions.

--Jenny L

Oooh, I have a great whiskey sauce recipe for beef tenderloin at home that uses leeks...love the flavor! I'm sure you can use them up quickly!

janetupnorth said:
Oooh, I have a great whiskey sauce recipe for beef tenderloin at home that uses leeks...love the flavor! I'm sure you can use them up quickly!
When you get home - I want that recipe!

ChefBeckyD said:
Milder than onion - but in the same family. They are great in soups, quiches, anything you would use onions for. Saute them in a little oil and butter - Yummy! I've never put them on Pizza but I'm sure they would be good! Mmmmm, maybe a Pesto Pizza w/ artichokes, leeks, and a little Feta?

OMG!!!!
Becky that sounds DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElioussssssssssssssss:D

I make a leek and potato soup that is a big hit. Here is the recipe I use from (Cooks.com - Recipe - Leek And Potato Soup) :

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
3 leeks (white part)
5 lg. potatoes
1 lg. can chicken broth or 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk (I use vegetable broth)
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. chervil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. tarragon
Parsley or chives for garnish

Peel and dice potatoes. Trim and thinly slice leeks. Saute leeks and potatoes in butter until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and cook approximately 30 minutes. Add seasonings and evaporated milk and simmer another 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.

Stir soup occasionally as it cooks to avoid scorching. Garnish with parsley or chives.

Ginger428 said:
OMG!!!!
Becky that sounds DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElioussssssssssssssss:D

Um, yeah, I thought of it, and now i'm wishing I had some leeks in the house!

I have the pesto, artichokes, and feta though - maybe I can still give it a go!

ChefBeckyD said:
When you get home - I want that recipe!

It'd better be in my recipe box still!!!! If not I'll get it from our cook at camp. It was our banquet dinner recipe a few years back - AWESOME sauce!

I'll find it for you when I get a chance - promise! ;)

ChefBeckyD said:
Um, yeah, I thought of it, and now i'm wishing I had some leeks in the house!

I have the pesto, artichokes, and feta though - maybe I can still give it a go!

Go For It......;)

Janet,
This was served at your camp banquet?
Don't you run a Mission camp or church camp or something... (or is that another poster ?) I find it amusing you served a recipe with whiskey sauce :) Our church has a cookbook and amazingly any recipe submitteed with any type of alcohol was omitted from the book.
I love to cook with beer & wine since I know it evaporates.... sometimes it makes it into the food.

Thanks for all of the ideas! I was thinking just to use them like an onion, but wasn't sure!

Janet~ I want that recipe!! If I don't have whiskey, anything I can substitute? Hate to admit it, but the only alcohol I have here is kahlua (for my tiramisu!) and triple sec and vodka (for margaritias when my brother and SIL visit from South Carolina!) Really, we don't drink hardly ever...both parents are/were alcoholics!

Um, Kelly.... margaritas are made with triple sec and tequila, not vodka.How do you make leek soup?
First, you take a leek.... :D

Teresa Lynn said:
Janet,
This was served at your camp banquet?
Don't you run a Mission camp or church camp or something... (or is that another poster ?) I find it amusing you served a recipe with whiskey sauce :) Our church has a cookbook and amazingly any recipe submitteed with any type of alcohol was omitted from the book.
I love to cook with beer & wine since I know it evaporates.... sometimes it makes it into the food.

My husband is a missionary at a non-denominational (Christian) camp in northern WI. We actually serve many banquet dinners with alcohol in the recipe, never serve it to drink though. We just had a pasta dish with Friar Tuck (Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur) in it...tortellini and sausage with a cream sauce. The alcohol is considered gone before served with the amounts and cooking times. Don't worry, we warn any potentially pregnant guests before serving just in case... ;)

KellyTheChef said:
Thanks for all of the ideas! I was thinking just to use them like an onion, but wasn't sure!

Janet~ I want that recipe!! If I don't have whiskey, anything I can substitute? Hate to admit it, but the only alcohol I have here is kahlua (for my tiramisu!) and triple sec and vodka (for margaritias when my brother and SIL visit from South Carolina!) Really, we don't drink hardly ever...both parents are/were alcoholics!

I never used to have ANY in the house, then I realized you can't make a decent Beef Stroganoff without it...then had a bottle of non-alcholic white wine on hand for that in college...then as I get older a few more collect on occasion.

I personally don't drink, just use it in recipes. Took my mom awhile to even understand why I had ANY in the house...but that's us and how we were raised. :)

chefann said:
Um, Kelly.... margaritas are made with triple sec and tequila, not vodka.How do you make leek soup?
First, you take a leek....

:D

Oops! Told you I didn't drink much... (or perhaps I drink too much!???:eek: )

Kelly,
You're blonde too right?? I "understood" the vodka for margaritas.

I never make the drinks in our house, one year the girls in Bunco asked me to make frozen margaritas and we'd swim instead of play Bunco. Ok, no problem I buy those green buckets didn't read directions (probably more like didn't pay attetion dump in about 1/2 bottle of vodka in each one). Freeze them bring them to patio before party starts scoop them in my smoothie maker start serving them.

they kept saying they were good but not like when my husband makes them.
He eventually came out by the pool & asked me what I used for alcohol since he had just found the tequila he'd bought for me unopened.
They have never let me forget it... nor do they trust me unless I serve beer or wine. :)
Some of them had a hard time getting out of the pool & walking home.

BTW-

Final results on the BLT Mac-n-cheese:

I say: YUM!

DH: After he picked out ALL of the leeks and tomatoes...said it was good, but that if I really wanted to be in his good graces, I would make my butter/garlic/Parmesean cheese noodles and add bacon to THAT!

12 yr. old DSS: "I'm not too big on this." Only ate half of his serving...

Let me add, though, that my family are VERY "plain" eaters. I am going to take some of my leftovers to the neighbors (family I grew up with, like a second set of parents to me...) They enjoy GOOD FOOD!

All in all, I would definately recommend this!!

We need to start a thread of recipes made with alcohol.
then if someone is offended they can skip that threead.
I'd love to have the recipes Janet talked about.
I'm also searching for an old recipe my mom's friend used to make called a Harvey Wallbanger cake. She died a few years ago and her daughter can't find her recipe.

I just looked through my box and it wasn't there... :( I left it out somewhere...anyway, I WILL find it or get another copy (since DH loves it!) and get it to you all!

Teresa Lynn said:
We need to start a thread of recipes made with alcohol.
then if someone is offended they can skip that threead.
I'd love to have the recipes Janet talked about.
I'm also searching for an old recipe my mom's friend used to make called a Harvey Wallbanger cake. She died a few years ago and her daughter can't find her recipe.
Here is a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com ... You may want to read the reviews for it...some made modifications to it, but it was very highly reviewed!

Harvey Wallbanger Cake
Submitted by: Shawna Buffum
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 27 members Yields: 12 servings

"Tastes just like the ****tail only in cake form."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 ounce) package
yellow cake mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant
vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs 1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 fluid ounces Galliano liqueur
2 fluid ounces vodka
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 10 inch tube pan.
2. Combine cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl. Blend in eggs, vegetable oil, 4 ounces Galliano, 1 ounce vodka, and 4 ounces orange juice. Mix batter until smooth and thick and pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and place on cooling rack. Spoon glaze over cake while it is still warm.
4. To Make Glaze: Combine the remaining 1 ounce Galliano, 1 ounce vodka, and 1ounce orange juice with the confectioner's sugar and blend until smooth. Spoon glaze over warm cake.

Thank you!!
I'll retract my blonde assumption I made earlier!! :)

I have checked this site before for this cake I wonder if it is a fairly new posting?
I use allrecipes.com and razzledazzlerecipes.com all the time
Love ya!
Teresa

The BLT Mac and Cheese was AWESOME!!!! It disappeared very quickly in our house.

DebbieJ said:
The BLT Mac and Cheese was AWESOME!!!! It disappeared very quickly in our house.

Do you think it would be a fast demo, or should I just stick to telling people that it turns out GREAT....;)

If I were doing this as a demo, I would have the bacon pre-cooked, the cheese mostly shredded and the leeks cut and cleaned! You can explain how to cut/clean the leeks, but I would do a lot of the pre-prep beforehand! (That's just me though...I try to make my demos as SHORT as I can!)

KellyTheChef said:
If I were doing this as a demo, I would have the bacon pre-cooked, the cheese mostly shredded and the leeks cut and cleaned! You can explain how to cut/clean the leeks, but I would do a lot of the pre-prep beforehand! (That's just me though...I try to make my demos as SHORT as I can!)

So do I....for Aug. I demoed the Angel Hair Pasta W/ Sausage & Peppers & before the show I cooked the Sausage then at the show I put it in the skillet just to heat it up, then started the demo....was done with the whole thing in around 20 minutes, but most of it was just having the food cooking, so I had pleanty of time to talk & show other items as well....;)

Teresa Lynn said:
Thank you!!
I'll retract my blonde assumption I made earlier!! :)

I have checked this site before for this cake I wonder if it is a fairly new posting?
I use allrecipes.com and razzledazzlerecipes.com all the time
Love ya!
Teresa

Ok, you can add me to the blonde list though! I just remembered the recipe I was talking about earlier used shallots not leeks!

Now if this blonde syndrome would go away so I can find that recipe... :blushing:

I have always held to the belief that those people who fit the "blonde" stereotype all have dark roots.;) (It's the bleach that does it to them!)

And yes, I am a natural blonde.:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I have always held to the belief that those people who fit the "blonde" stereotype all have dark roots.;) (It's the bleach that does it to them!)

Well put your pic in your avatar so we can see........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And yes, I am a natural blonde.:D
Well put your pic in your avatar so we can see........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ChefBeckyD said:

Yeah, you're probably right - I hilighted my hair for the first time a few months ago and since then I've had a few blonde moments!

I always blamed it on the fact that I was blonde as a child...but maybe it is the dye... :rolleyes:

nope, I'm a natural blonde and can be a real dimwit sometimes,
we've actually started calling my 14 YO daughter our resident blonde a few weeks ago she put a gallon bag of ice (I was making cute duck ice cubes for that baby shower I made them & dumped them 3 x a day to have enough).
in the garage fridge.....
a few days later I was aking everyone why they had a gallon of water in the fridge and could it be thrown it away... no one knew why it was there.... Hours later out of the blue she says I think those were your DUCKS!! Does ice melt in the fridge????
& yes she is a straight A student!!

Here you go as promised - note the use of shallots NOT leeks - see prior discussion for blonde moments:

Bourbon Cream Sauce for Tenderloin or other meats - I prefer it on beef tenderloin - YUM!

2 tsp. cornstarch
1Tbsp. water
½ cup bourbon whiskey
2 T. chopped shallots
1 cup reduced sodium beef or chicken broth
1 T. maple syrup
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. Dijon mustard
½ c. heavy whipping cream
1/8 tsp. ground pepper

Whisk together cornstarch and water until cornstarch is dissolved, set aside. Add bourbon to small saucepan; add shallots. Cook over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 2T. Add broth, syrup and Worcestershire sauce; brng to a boil. Whisk in mustard until smooth. Stir in dissolved cornstarch, cream, and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 mintues until thickened.

Rub for Beef Tenderloin or Roast

2 T olive oil
2 T rosemary
2 T minced garlic
1 T salt
1 T pepper

YUM!!
Now where are the other recipes you teased us with?

What else did I tease you with?

Was that the pasta with Friar Tuck? If so, I'll have to figure it out...it is a "copy" of a Kohler house recipe...they don't release their recipes... ;)

You can always type in what ingredients you have into the PC recipe search box and see what they have there! This is one that looked good.Roast Breast of Turkey with Apple Scented Pan Gravy
Ingredients:
Turkey
4 medium leeks, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium Granny Smith apples
1 bone-in turkey breast (5-6 pounds)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoon Pantry Rosemary Herb Seasoning Mix, divided

Gravy
Reserved pan juices
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken brothDirections: 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut leeks into 1/4-inch slices; place in bottom of Deep Dish Baker. Core and wedge apples using Apple Wedger; add to leeks.
2. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Place turkey on top of leeks and apples; brush turkey with oil using Pastry Brush. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the seasoning mix. Insert Digital Thermometer into thickest part of breast, not touching bone.
3. Bake 1 hour, 50 minutes to 2 hours, 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 170°F and juices run clear. Remove turkey breast to Oval Carving Platter Set; loosely tent with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
4. Meanwhile, for gravy, strain pan juices through small Colander into small Colander Bowl. Reserve pan juices; discard leeks and apples. Skim off 1 tablespoon fat into Small (2-qt.) Saucepan; add butter. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted; add remaining 1/2 teaspoon seasoning mix. Stir in flour using Nylon Spiral Whisk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Gradually add remaining pan juices (1/2 cup) and chicken broth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Carve turkey into thin slices using Carving Set; serve with gravy. Yield: 10-12 servingsNutrients per serving: (4 ounces turkey, 1/4 cup gravy): Calories 340, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Carbohydrate 5 g, Protein 36 g, Sodium 420 mg, Fiber 0 g

yes Janet, that was the other recipe

Someone on another thread requested the recipe for the Harvest Cream Soup from Stoneware Inspirations - as I was typing it I found out it uses leeks. Here it is again:

1 butternut squash (1 lb)
2 large leeks (white and light green portions only)
1 lb baby carrots (about 3 cups)
1 T olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
2 cans (14-14 1/2 oz ea) 99% fat-free chicken broth, divided
1 can (12 oz) evaporated whole milk
1 1" piece unpeeled fresh gingerrot, grated and juiced (I'm not sure why you wouldn't peel it, but that's what the recipe says)
Reduced fat sour cream (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450. Cut squash into 1" pieces. Cut leeks in half lengthwise, then into 2" pieces. Combine squash, leeks, carrots, and oil in Stainless (6 qt) Mixing Bowl. Press garlic into mixing bowl with Garlic Press; toss to coat using Mix 'N Scraper. Season with salt and black pepper, if desired.

2. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on Stoneware Bar Pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and deep golden brown. Remove from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack.

3. Combine half of the vegetables with one can of the chicken broth in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour mixture into Professional (4 qt) Casserole. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture and chicken broth. Add evaporated milk to casserole. Cook over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.

4. Grate gingerroot using Ultimate Mandoline. Gather gingerroot in palm of hand and squeeze over Prep Bowl to yield 2 t juice; discard flesh. Stir juice into soup just before serving. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; swirl in sour cream, if desired.

Teresa Lynn said:
yes Janet, that was the other recipe

I will work on getting that "top secret" one down on paper...may take me a month to catch the cook and get quantities for a family vs. a hundred sorted out...but we'll get it.

yes, please adjust the recipe. :)
My 17 YO doesn't much care for lasagna. Last night I made my normal amount and i thought when he got home from football practice he was going to cry. We don't care for leftovers and he was thinking he'd have to eat it all week.
I told him one pan was for his brother at college.
Today I made meatloaf and the first question he asked was did you use all 10 pounds of ground beef???
My oldest loved leftovers, he's been back at school 5 days and is already complaining about the dorm food

Lasagna at least freezes well and tastes fine reheated...

Meatloaf, well, let's just say my mom ruined meatloaf for me!

1. Can I save the extra leeks?

Yes, you can save the extra leeks by properly storing them in the refrigerator. Trim off the dark green parts and slice the white and light green parts into rings. Place them in an airtight container or zip-top bag with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. They should last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

2. Are there any other uses for leeks?

Absolutely! Leeks are a versatile vegetable and can be used in a variety of dishes. You can use them to make soups, stews, quiches, and even as a topping for pizza. They can also be roasted, grilled, or sautéed as a side dish.

3. Do leeks taste like onions?

Leeks do have a mild onion flavor, but they are not as pungent as regular onions. They have a slightly sweet and delicate taste, making them a great addition to dishes that you want to add flavor without overpowering it.

4. Can I sauté leeks for pizza?

Yes, you can sauté leeks as a topping for pizza. Simply slice them into thin rings and sauté them in olive oil until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Sprinkle them on top of your pizza before baking for added flavor and texture.

5. What is TIA?

TIA stands for "thanks in advance." It is often used as a polite way to thank someone for their help or assistance in advance. You're welcome, and happy cooking!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Staci
  • PamperedCaniac
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies