• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unraveling the Mystery of Stoneware: The Truth Behind Oil Brushing in Recipes

S
sfdavis918
Why is it that the recipes using the stoneware are calling for oil to be brushed on first? The Ham and cheese brunch squares are that way as well as the warm nutty caramel brownies. I feel kind of silly talking about how it ends up being non-stick after awhile, and then putting on oil so it won't stick. What's up with that?

Probably once it is truly seasoned, you are fine and don't need oil. Many of our recipes do help season so they are a little oilier. That's my guess. Oiling your stone is one way to help season it.

Also, maybe because both recipes are Super Starter recipes, so maybe they are assuming that new consultants are using a brand new stone, so it's not really seasoned at all yet, so they want to make sure it's okay... just a guess.

On CC, there's a video demonstrating the brownies. There might be one for the other recipe, not sure.Anyway, in the recipe, the woman says that melted chocolate tends to stick more than other foods, and a bit of oil is just extra insurance.

The 3 cheese garden pizza recipe mentions this as well. The Cook's Tip says that by adding the tsp of oil makes an even crispier crust. When I demo it, I mention that if you have a well seasoned stone you don't need to if you don't want to, but that you can oil it if you want a crispier crust. Maybe the brunch squares are the same way so that you get a little bit of a crustier layer.

I was wondering the same exact thing! I will be demo-ing the Hash Brown Squares at my first show and was thinking about pre-oiling the bar pan just so I wouldn't get questions about needing to oil the bar pan first!

So now I CAN show oiling the pan with the silicone brush. It is good to have the alternate explanations in case someone asks!

The first time I tried these at home (my bar pan is not very seasoned) I only oiled the bottom - didn't think about the sides - and the squares stuck to the sides. I used the quik-cut paring knife around the edges and it was fine.

Has anyone made the Hash Brown squares in a well-seasoned pan and NOT used oil? Do they still stick?

Thanks everyone! I won't feel silly anymore!:D

Hello there! I completely understand your confusion about oil brushing on stoneware. The reason for this step is to ensure that your food doesn't stick to the stoneware during the initial use. Stoneware is a porous material and needs to be seasoned before use, just like cast iron. By brushing oil on the stoneware, you are creating a non-stick surface and also helping to prevent any potential staining or discoloration. This step is especially important for recipes like the Ham and Cheese Brunch Squares and Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies, where the ingredients can be sticky or have a high sugar content. I know it may seem counterintuitive, but trust me, it's an important step for achieving the best results with your stoneware. Happy cooking!

1. Why do recipes using stoneware call for oil to be brushed on first?

The reason for this is to create a non-stick surface on the stoneware. Stoneware is a type of ceramic that is known for its ability to distribute heat evenly, making it great for baking. However, it can be prone to sticking, especially when baking foods that are high in sugar or fat. By brushing oil on the stoneware before baking, it creates a layer of fat that helps prevent sticking and makes clean-up easier.

2. Are there any other benefits to oil brushing stoneware?

In addition to preventing sticking, oil brushing can also help enhance the flavor and texture of the food being cooked. The oil creates a crispy outer layer on the food, while keeping the inside moist and tender. It can also add a subtle layer of flavor to the dish.

3. Do all recipes using stoneware require oil brushing?

No, not all recipes will require oil brushing. It depends on the type of food being cooked and personal preference. For example, if you are baking a savory dish such as a casserole, it may not be necessary to oil brush the stoneware. However, for sweeter dishes or dishes with a high fat content, oil brushing can greatly improve the outcome.

4. Is it necessary to oil brush stoneware every time it is used?

It is not necessary to oil brush stoneware every time it is used, but it is recommended for the best results. Over time, the oil will build up on the stoneware and create a natural non-stick surface, making it less necessary to oil brush every time. However, if food starts to stick again, it is best to reapply oil before using.

5. Can I use any type of oil for stoneware brushing?

It is recommended to use a high smoke point oil, such as vegetable or canola oil, for stoneware brushing. These oils can withstand high heat without burning and will not leave a strong flavor on the food. Butter, which is often used for stovetop cooking, can burn and leave a strong flavor on the stoneware and food. It is best to avoid using butter for stoneware brushing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JackieB999
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • GourmetGirl
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefNic
  • DebPC