• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Undercooked Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake

was changing the way that I spread it on, and making sure to let it sit with the lid on after baking.Thank you everyone. Got it...I sure it was that I not spreaded it evenlly. I used the large scoop insted of the medium and I used the scraper to spread it. Next time I am using medium scoop and the spreader and make sure I spread from the edges to the center
ilovpc
Gold Member
I made this recipe for dinner tonight and followed all the steps. The meat and beans cooked perfectly, but the cornbread was undercooked.:yuck: Recipe calls for 7-9 minutes in the microwave. I put it in for 9 minutes and then added another 3 minutes and it still was undercooked in the center. Did anyone else had this same problem? Any idea why just the center was undercooked?

~Fanny

Could be the temp of your microwave. Does your micro have a plate on the bottom that rotates around? Mine does and it cooks all the way through at 9 minutes but at a show last weekend the hosts micro was too small for the DCB to rotate so the middle was a little underdone but after we took it out and covered it with cheese and let it set for 5 minutes covered it was fine.

I had the same problem and it is the rest time. If you do not let it sit with the lid on for the 5 minutes it will be raw in the middle. If you let it set it will cood the rest of the way.

cincychef said:
I had the same problem and it is the rest time. If you do not let it sit with the lid on for the 5 minutes it will be raw in the middle. If you let it set it will cood the rest of the way.

Yes - I've discovered that too. The other thing that seems to help is to scoop the cornbread around the edges, and spread to the middle, instead of the other way around. When you scoop in the middle, and spread to the edges, it tends to be thicker in the middle, thus taking longer to cook.:chef:

I had a similar problem but I also had an underdone middle then the outsides were actually over done. I added two more minutes to get the middle done. I had it out of the micro and sitting for the 5 minutes but the center was still gooey. Yuck! Thanks for the Tip Becky as I bet I had the cornbread mixture to thick in the middle and too thin at the edges. I am making it again this weekend as I want to use the recipe but not if it comes out too funky! I will definitely use your tip!

Make sure to use the scoop and plop the batter around evenly before you spread. At first I thought that step was a little silly, but realize that it really helps keep the layer even and help w/ it cooking more evenly.

I have this exact problem, but I do NOT use the JIFFY or "box" brand of cornbread.

Two things that I do differently is use an organic cornbread mix that is much larger, and I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream. This causes me to either have a longer cooking time, which dries it out or to modify.

My modification has been to use only about 5oz of yogurt instead of 8 oz sour cream, it seems to go farther (runnier) and be sure that I spread it evenly all the way to the edges.

robochick84 said:
I have this exact problem, but I do NOT use the JIFFY or "box" brand of cornbread.

Two things that I do differently is use an organic cornbread mix that is much larger, and I use plain yogurt instead of sour cream. This causes me to either have a longer cooking time, which dries it out or to modify.

My modification has been to use only about 5oz of yogurt instead of 8 oz sour cream, it seems to go farther (runnier) and be sure that I spread it evenly all the way to the edges.

I make my own cornbread. I don't think it's the recipe for cornbread so much as it is the method for spreading it on. The first couple times I made it, I had the exact same issues as those using the Jiffy Mix....the thing that made the difference was changing the way that I spread it on, and making sure to let it sit with the lid on after baking.

Thank you everyone. Got it...I sure it was that I not spreaded it evenlly. I used the large scoop insted of the medium and I used the scraper to spread it. Next time I am using medium scoop and the spreader and make sure I spread from the edges to the center :D

ChefBeckyD said:
I make my own cornbread. I don't think it's the recipe for cornbread so much as it is the method for spreading it on. The first couple times I made it, I had the exact same issues as those using the Jiffy Mix....the thing that made the difference was changing the way that I spread it on, and making sure to let it sit with the lid on after baking.

Thanks! I just thought I was crazy since the only one time that I got the recipe to work was when I was cooking it for and Aunt with Jiffy!

I may try to scoop method to get it more evenly spread out!

I forgot also that 8oz of sour cream is only 3/4 cup. I didn't know that the first time and it took longer to cook. If you are measuring you want to use 3/4 cup and that will help.

1. What ingredients are needed for the Undercooked Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake?

The ingredients for this dish include ground beef, canned corn, canned black beans, salsa, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cornbread mix, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

2. How do you make the Undercooked Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake?

To make this dish, start by browning the ground beef in a skillet. Then, add in the corn, black beans, salsa, and chipotle peppers. In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread mix and water according to package instructions. Pour the cornbread mixture over the beef mixture in the skillet. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bake in the oven until the cornbread is cooked through.

3. Can I make this dish ahead of time?

Yes, you can assemble the dish ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake. It may take a few extra minutes in the oven to ensure the cornbread is fully cooked.

4. How spicy is the Undercooked Chipotle Chili Cornbread Bake?

The level of spiciness can be adjusted based on your preference. The recipe calls for two chipotle peppers, but you can add more or less depending on how spicy you like your food.

5. Can I use a different type of meat for this dish?

Yes, you can use ground turkey, chicken, or even vegetarian crumbles as a substitute for ground beef in this recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • thehaleykitchen
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Tropicalburstqt2