• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uh-Oh, I Don't Think I Handled This Well...

Yes, you always have to be ready for a "booking conversation" at any time. But it doesn't have to be in a pushy or salesy way. Just casually mentioning the benefits of hosting a party, like getting free and discounted products, can plant a seed in someone's mind. As for the pyrex comment, it's always good to have a response prepared for common objections. You could have mentioned the unglazed finish and how it helps with moisture retention, but also emphasize the lifetime warranty and the fact that it's made in the USA. Overall, it seems like you did a good job at keeping the conversation light and positive, and sometimes that's all you can do. Keep trying and don't get discouraged!
BlueMoon
A friend invited me to a potluck (7 of my friends, then a game of cards) tonight. I took a DCB pineapple upside-down cake.Now, the woman hosting the potluck and cards has a daughter who is doing PC, I gave her the chefsuccess website because the daughter is relatively new and having a hard time. But a least half the women there said they wanted to buy the DCB. I said that will be great, I'm starting in September, and you can order one when you host a party!
None of them wanted to host a party! even my dear friend, who I hadn't spoken to yet, but I was counting on her! One woman said there have been so many parties around our neighborhood that people are tired of them (this is true, actually--silpada, PC, etc) Another woman said, people are pinching their pennies right now, so they don't want to spend any money.I tried to keep it light, just chatting, after all, and said that is why I am doing it, no one should feel obligated, I just want people to have I good time. I want to help people make meals for $2 or less per serving and have fun doing it. Someone else said the DCB is expensive so I used Noora's line about the cost per use and talked about how all the easy meals I make in it save us so much money. (thanks, Noora!) I also talked about how hosts never pay full price, we let them choose products as a fee for using their homes.Then someone said can't you just use pyrex? and I wasn't sure how to explain it. I talked about eh unglazed finish, and how the glass would hold heat differently and affect the moisture, but then we moved on...I felt people were trying to be positive, but no one seemed to think it was a good idea to host a party.....It wasn't one on one, and I didn't expect it to turn into a booking conversation, so I didn't want to say--but Susie Host, would you? or anything....
what should I have done, and how should I have handled the pyrex bit?any advice? I just don't feel good about it. I guess I need to be ready on a moment's notice.Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me.
Marghi

Last edited:
I tell people it is the thick stone walls that keep the moisture in. If they still persist Pyrex would work, I tell them I'd be happy to do a side-by-side bake-off to compare the results. No one has taken me up on that though.

Until you've used stoneware, you just don't get the concept. ;)It sounds like you did really good trying to get the conversation going. If you had 3 of the 7 people willing to spend $69, I don't see how that can truly convey that people are penny pinching right now! :D If the DCB was still available to guests, those 3 sales would have made a $200 show right there. ;) Sometimes it just takes pointing out something as simple as that to a potential host ... PC pretty much sales itself. If people want it, love it, etc. they will get what they can afford to buy. If not, they'll host to earn it for free & at a discount!!! :D

Dear Keith and Sheila--great! I have perked right up!!

love these ideas
  • thick stone walls
  • bake off
  • Those people there, if all they ordered was the items they knew they wanted--without even seeing the catalog--would have made a show.....I never even put that together...great thing to be able to point out.

All the parties in my development (1200 home "community") have been pretty big, so I think many of them think they have to get 25-30 people to come over. I think maybe it will help if people realize that even 3 can make a party, (though more means more free product).

Thanks so much, I knew I could count on my CS friends to cheer me up and give me tools to go forward with.
yours
Marghi

You handled it well ... but you can lead a horse to water .... Can't make somebody do something if they really don't want to. But you can point out that our products are practical and reach a different audience. People who spend money do so on food and entertaining.

You handled it very well.

Something that was said at a workshop I attended about getting new consultants off to a good start:

The people you think will help you out by hosting a party won't. The people you consider least likely will. Make sure your list of 100 is wide.

raebates said:
The people you think will help you out by hosting a party won't. The people you consider least likely will. Make sure your list of 100 is wide.

This is so very true!!!! It was for me when I started and it still is today 5 1/2 years later.

And remember, you are not limited to your community of 1200! If you get the web page, your hosts can market to their friends/family all over the US and even the ones on military bases around the world! :D So think outside the box, or the town in your case. ;)

I had a catalog host close today. 2 days ago, she had 1 order. In 48 hours she collected 12 more and closed with 13 orders, hitting the $800 level. She was determined to make it work! She would get $2-$4 into a new level & tell me "I only have $92 (or $94) to hit the next level!!! She was the freaking Energizer Bunny she just kept going, and going, and going ... She knew I was trying to meet a deadline to get her show submitted for payday or she'd have probably hit $1,000. She REALLY wanted her name on my web page as a $1,000 host! ;) I mentioned the business opportunity, but she's already a Lia Sophia consultant, so she said no.

I had a Cooking Show host who had over $700 in outside orders before I walked in the door for her show. She was my top host with $1,537.50 in Guest sales ($1562.70 Commissionable Sales). I tried HARD to recruit her! LOL

So make sure that your hosts don't limit themselves to just the ones who can come to the show! :p

Thanks for all the support. Rae and CincyChef, great reminder about the list of 100. It was kind of shocking, but I'm glad it happened now.

as to limiting myself to my community, I knew from the get-go that would not work. One of my friends just started a silpada business 2 months ago, and she is already stumped for what to do next. (not a lot of support either, PC ROCKS!!) Fortunately, I work for a moderately sized company, and some of my co-workers are already planning parties.

Most of my neighbors are retired, and the ones we are closest to are pretty opinionated (and why spoil a good opinion by learning the truth? lol) But it's true among my circle there is a little bit of party fatigue, I can wait for that to pass while I'm out and about with the work crowd. And I've already reserved a spot at our holiday craft faire. (studying the booth thread like crazy!)

Here's what my friends do like: classes. like making stuff out of clay, or jewelry, or easy crafts. They want to take something home. So I'm thinking a little class on batterbowl brownies or soups, stuff like that. They all like the products, I know I will sell more than batterbowls, measuring cups, and spreaders.....ooh, I am getting excited.

I just felt like I should be able to say some magic words. But last night my sweetie reminded me they are probably afraid I am going to call them every month to host. So...bless and release. They'll come around, or not. Getting to work on that list of 100!

I love you guys!:love:

Marghi

Thanks, Sarah. looking forward to checking out that link.Wow, this looks so incomplete without my exclamation (!!!!!!) points. I can end a sentence, a paragraph is harder.
<3
Marghi

BlueMoon said:
Thanks, Sarah. looking forward to checking out that link.

Wow, this looks so incomplete without my exclamation (!!!!!!) points. I can end a sentence, a paragraph is harder.
<3
Marghi

You know I was criticizing myself, right? I am one who definitely overuses exclamation points, but don't know how else to express excitement in a post.

Ok, now read that last sentence this way "but don't know how else to express excitement in a post!" See? It makes a big difference!

pampchefsarah said:
You know I was criticizing myself, right? I am one who definitely overuses exclamation points, but don't know how else to express excitement in a post.

Ok, now read that last sentence this way "but don't know how else to express excitement in a post!" See? It makes a big difference!

Yes, Sarah, you and I have the same addiction. I just think punctuation makes such a difference online when you can't hear tone of voice. (At least I am pretty good at limiting the italics and bold font.)

;)

Marghi

My mother-in-law used CorningWare and probably Pyrex too to make several of our DCB recipes in the microwave. She was finally able to get a DCB of her own and said she was amazed at the difference it made. She said the food came out SO much better. I had to teach her to stop putting it in the dishwasher but otherwise.... :). I like Keith's idea of a cook-off! It certainly conveys a confidence in your product.

Also know that those you are 100% going to help won't, and those you expect to say no will surprise you.

Plus for those who are retired and "have no one to cook for" are still great guests....they're the ones who need gifts for their nephews/nieces, older children and grandchildren!

Never prejudge and always know you'll be surprised by your guests and hosts! lol

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Also know that those you are 100% going to help won't, and those you expect to say no will surprise you.

Plus for those who are retired and "have no one to cook for" are still great guests....they're the ones who need gifts for their nephews/nieces, older children and grandchildren!

Never prejudge and always know you'll be surprised by your guests and hosts! lol

Thank goodness for this site and all of you. Although I was completely taken off guard, I knew that it would finally be okay.

... and no more 100% sure of anything, as you say, never prejudge. I have a feeling I'm going to learn about a lot more than kitchen tools in this business!

Marghi

I too started host coaching my hosts to never exclude anyone. No matter what they think a possible guests financial status may be. I tell them we, my host and I, can provide a nice relaxing atmosphere for someone who may need to get away from the norm. And that her and I can provide a way for them to get the things they would like for free by booking or maybe by becoming a consultant. I even have a line in the invite that says "I hope you can make even if it is just to get out!" I never want to close the door to anyone. You can not provide alternatives to out and out buying to someone who is not present. And who knows, that person may be your next recruit. This goes for our way of thinking too! We can never say, no they won't or can't so I won't ask. What a way to self sabotage! And Keith's idea of the cook off is awesome! In fact, you could base a whole party on that premise because you can do that with other products we offer. The Mandoline, the Food Chopper and our Knives even!

What are some common signs that I didn't handle a situation well?

Some common signs are feeling guilty or regretful, receiving negative feedback or consequences, and noticing tension or conflict in relationships.

How can I improve my handling of difficult situations?

It's important to reflect on the situation and identify what went wrong. Communication and empathy are key in handling difficult situations, so practicing active listening and putting yourself in the other person's shoes can help improve your handling in the future.

What should I do if I realize I mishandled a situation?

Take responsibility for your actions and apologize sincerely. It's also important to communicate openly and address any negative consequences that may have resulted from the mishandling.

How can I prevent mishandling situations in the future?

Reflect on what led to the mishandling and learn from it. Consider seeking guidance or training in communication and conflict resolution techniques. It's also important to be self-aware and manage your emotions in difficult situations.

What resources does Pampered Chef offer for improving handling of difficult situations?

Pampered Chef offers various trainings and resources for consultants, such as communication and leadership workshops, to help improve handling of difficult situations. The company also values open communication and encourages consultants to reach out to their leaders for guidance and support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Laura4
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
tmseiling
  • cookingmommy