• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Rice Cooker: Issues with Cooking Time and Consistency

In summary, the conversation is about issues with cooking rice in a microwave rice cooker. Some users have experienced problems with the rice not being cooked properly, while others have had success. Factors that may affect the cooking process include the type and brand of rice, the amount of water used, and the wattage and size of the microwave. Users have shared their personal methods for cooking rice successfully in a microwave rice cooker.
jessica_momof6
Silver Member
It just isn't cooking the rice in the time frame. I have checked the seals, it is all set up right. but when the time ends at the 50% power, it is still full of water and the rice is not cooked.
then if I cook it at full power, it is just mush.

When i first got it, it worked great-followed just as the directions said.

anyone else ever run into this? we are really hating this item!

Are you using the same type of rice that you used before? Brown rice usually calls to be cooked longer & (I think) with more water than white rice, but I don't like it cooked as long as the instructions say, so I reduce the time and water a little bit.

Also, maybe a different brand cooks differently(?). If it is a different brand or type of rice, you might need to adjust the amount of water and time. Hope that helps.

I'm having the same trouble. I thought it was because my microwave doesn't have a turn table but now that I read your post, I remember mine working in the beginning. Strange.

It works great for me!I usually do 1 1/2 cups rice with 3 cups water, a pinch of salt and about 1 tsp olive oil. Micro it on high for 10 minutes then 50% power for 15 minutes. Then let it sit in the cooker until I'm ready to use it. Mine comes out perfect every time! Oh, and I always use Jasmine Rice.

I haven't got the times down yet for doing less rice - every time I try doing smaller amounts my rice is very dry. If I do more rice, I extend the 50% cook time by about 5 minutes. If there is water (or the white-rice gooy stuff) in the top outside well of the rice cooker lid (the brown lid under the handle, not the inside white liner) then it it's not done. Put it back in the microwave for 5 minutes at a time on 50% power.

I have one of the new higher wattage microwaves so I have to cook almost everything on a reduced power, you'll just have to play with yours to see what's best.

Rice is cheep - Keep trying!
Linda

Last edited:
Mine doesn't work well but i have a small microwave, my mom has a large microwave and hers works great everytime. Maybe that could be the problem?

That is another thing you need to take in consideration when you are cooking your rice in the microwave. Not all microwaves have the same power. You need to probably cook it longer if it is a smaller microwave and either at the same time or less if it is a larger Microwave. Then I've noticed that the ones with the turn table usually take a little longer times or sometimes shorter times. Talk about a pain sometimes. It would be nice if they would just the microwaves all the same to where we wouldn't have to worry about this. LOL. Oh well.

kat29 said:
That is another thing you need to take in consideration when you are cooking your rice in the microwave. Not all microwaves have the same power. .
I understand that, but I am using the same rice, same time everything as I used before.

It is so weird that all of a sudden it wouldn't work right.

*sigh*

I will try the adding more 50% time for the larger amounts...thanks for that suggestion Linda!

I use minute rice and make per box instructions and it works fine.

pamperedharriet said:
I use minute rice and make per box instructions and it works fine.

we don't eat instant rice--only the long grain.

but I am glad to know that minute rice works! That is a good selling point.

jessica_momof6 said:
we don't eat instant rice--only the long grain.

but I am glad to know that minute rice works! That is a good selling point.

Your welcome, Jessica!

Related to Troubleshooting Rice Cooker: Issues with Cooking Time and Consistency

1. What should I do if my rice cooker is not turning on?

If your rice cooker is not turning on, the first thing to check is that it is properly plugged in and the outlet is working. You may also want to check the power cord for any damage. If the cooker still does not turn on, there may be an issue with the internal wiring and it will need to be repaired or replaced.

2. Why is my rice cooker not cooking the rice evenly?

If your rice cooker is not cooking the rice evenly, it could be due to a number of factors. Make sure you are using the correct amount of rice and water, and that the rice is spread evenly in the cooker. You may also want to check the heating element and make sure it is functioning properly. If the issue persists, there may be an issue with the cooker's thermostat and it will need to be serviced.

3. How can I prevent my rice from sticking to the bottom of the cooker?

To prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the cooker, make sure to rinse the rice before cooking and use the correct amount of water. You can also try using a non-stick cooking spray or lining the bottom of the cooker with a layer of oil before adding the rice. Additionally, avoid stirring the rice while it is cooking and let it sit for a few minutes after cooking before fluffing it with a fork.

4. My rice cooker is overflowing, how do I prevent this?

If your rice cooker is overflowing, it may be because you are using too much rice or water. Make sure to follow the recommended measurements for your specific rice cooker and do not fill it past the maximum capacity line. You may also want to check the seal on the lid to make sure it is properly closed and preventing steam from escaping.

5. Can I use my rice cooker for other types of grains?

Most rice cookers can also be used for other types of grains such as quinoa, oats, and barley. However, the cooking times and ratios of water to grain may vary. It is best to consult the instruction manual or do some research before attempting to cook other grains in your rice cooker.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • EMarth123
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
EMarth123
  • ChefJWarren