• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Troubleshooting Laptop Shutdowns: Is Overheating the Culprit?

I have the same laptop and I have the same problem. Mine shuts off randomly, even when I'm not doing anything. The last time it happened, I left it on my desk and when I came back, it had turned off. I took it back and they replaced the motherboard.I have the same laptop and I have the same problem. Mine shuts off randomly, even when I'm not doing anything. The last time it happened, I left it on my desk and when I came back, it had turned off. I took it back and they replaced the motherboard.If you're experiencing this problem with your laptop, it may be because of the heat. Try using a cooling pad or a cooling rack to
kcjodih
Gold Member
Does anyone else have a problem with their laptop just shutting down for no apparent reason? I'll be reading here on CS and then !! it shuts itself right off and I have to reboot it. It's happened 5 times in the last few days and the only thing different I can think of that I've been doing is reading it in bed on my lap on my duvet. Usually I'm sitting up in a chair, or walk away and leave it on my desk. It seems to be getting very hot and maybe that's the problem?

Maybe it's telling me to get off and do something else but there's nothing on tv, I'm tired of reading my novels and just wanna surf on here :cry: Not much else to do except sleep and I slept 10 hours today :eek: from 9am until 7pm. Probably because I only slept from 2 am to 6 am last night/this morning.

So anyone have this problem or know if because it's getting to hot that that may be the cause? I'll be LOST without my laptop if I'm stuck in bed :mad::mad:

Yep, it's too hot.

So do you think it's because of the bedding on my lap I have it on? I know I've left it on for days on the desk and never had a problem...

They make laptop "trays" that are vented on the bottom to help this. It is definitely getting too hot!

It probably is to being too hot. My daughter had the same problem with hers, but hers was on her desk. We actually ended up getting her a stand for it and she constantly has a small fan blowing on it, because it would shut down often on her. As long as you keep it cool, it should be fine. Yes I would assume the bedding is just too much for it. Hope this helps.

Okay thanks all. Guess I'll get DH to look into a tray of some sort.

when it's on the desk, it's propped up a bit and air can flow underneath. On your bed, the bedding is basically suffocating it.I have this for my laptop: Targus - Notebook Chill Mat - Silver (can be found at Best Buy)
6211752_ra.jpg

I use one of our silicone hot pad/trivets on my lap as a laptop pad. It holds down whatever blanket I may be using so that it doesn't block the vents.

pcchefjane said:
They make laptop "trays" that are vented on the bottom to help this. It is definitely getting too hot!

You may already have a "tray" in your kitchen. Try one of our cooling racks. They work great for this!

What a great idea Ann (as usual!) ;) I'll try that before having DH go out and find me something like Deb has. Being off work from my FT job right now, I'd rather not spend money I'm not making. Not to mention losing that commission from that PWS order....grrr

chefjeanine said:
You may already have a "tray" in your kitchen. Try one of our cooling racks. They work great for this!

Really? Wow, thanks Jeanine! I'm gonna try both and see what works best for me :)

DebbieJ said:
when it's on the desk, it's propped up a bit and air can flow underneath. On your bed, the bedding is basically suffocating it.

I have this for my laptop: Targus - Notebook Chill Mat - Silver (can be found at Best Buy)
6211752_ra.jpg

I have that exact one Deb - works great - I think I bought mine through NewEgg.com

Only problem is that if you overheated it too many times, your motherboard may be failing or you may have a clogged or failing fan. If it keeps happening even with a cooling pad, then make sure all your fan vents are blown out good with air and if it still happens, you'll have to have your fans and motherboard checked out.

Also, sometimes they shut down when hot when the harddrive is starting to fail so just in case make sure your data is backed up.

hope its not a gateway! ARGH! I hate Gateways!!

I have a Toshiba Satellite. It goes into sleep or hibenate mode. It's still under warranty
so I took it in for repair. Another problem was that the screen would go blank & the computer was frozen. I would have to shut it down by power button & reboot. The repair corrected the 2nd problem. They kept it & used it for bit and didn't have the first problem. I brought it home & it still hibernates/sleeps at times. I am thinking there may be interference from the 2 radio towers that are 800 feet away.

1. What are the common signs of overheating in a laptop?

The most common signs of overheating in a laptop include sudden and unexpected shutdowns, a hot keyboard or base, fans running at high speeds, and a decrease in performance.

2. How can I prevent my laptop from overheating?

To prevent your laptop from overheating, make sure to keep it on a flat and hard surface to allow for proper air circulation. Keep the vents and fans clean and free of dust and debris. You can also invest in a laptop cooling pad or stand to help dissipate heat. Avoid using your laptop in direct sunlight or in hot environments.

3. Can using my laptop on a soft surface cause overheating?

Yes, using your laptop on a soft surface such as a bed or pillow can restrict airflow and cause your laptop to overheat. It is best to use your laptop on a hard and flat surface to prevent overheating.

4. How can I check the temperature of my laptop?

You can use a software tool such as HWMonitor or Core Temp to check the temperature of your laptop's components. These tools can also give you an idea of what is causing the overheating and if any components need to be replaced.

5. What should I do if my laptop is constantly overheating?

If your laptop is constantly overheating, it is best to have it checked by a professional. They can clean out any dust and debris, replace any faulty components, and provide advice on how to prevent overheating in the future. It is also important to make sure your laptop is not being overworked by running too many programs or tasks at once.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • pampchefsarah
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
robochick84
  • Kelly8