• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tried a New Format...didn't Work as Planned!

In summary, at the cluster meeting, the speaker discussed various tips for improving shows, one of which was the 3 pile approach at checkout where the consultant asks about recruiting, hosting, and gives the recipes. The speaker tried this method and saved the recipe for the end, resulting in a guest constantly asking for recipe details throughout the show and not making a purchase. The consultant plans to try this approach again, with the addition of handing out extra recipe cards at the end and mentioning the availability of the show recipe on her website.
kam
Staff member
At my cluster meeting last week - we learned a lot of things to use at our shows. I am planning on implementing some of the ideas little by little.

The first one I decided to try was the 3 pile approach at checkout. It has been mentioned on here before, but seeing it in action at cluster convinced me to give it a try.

It (basically) involves asking about Recruiting, then hosting, then giving the recipes.

In the past, I would always give the recipes at the beginning of the show (and ask the guests to keep me honest - and make sure I don't forget a step! :)).

Well, since I was saving the recipes for my check-out, I did not hand them out ahead of time.

Wouldn't you know it - throughout the ENTIRE show a guest kept asking details about the recipe. What size box, what did you just do, how much whipped cream, what flavor was that, canned pumpkin or pumpkin pie filling, etc etc. I told her the first time that I would have the recipes available at the end of the show. But this did not stop her from asking every little detail. AND she didn't order a blasted thing.

Oh well, live and learn. Makes me wonder if I should try this approach again! I am hoping that was just a fluke. (And, no, this girl has not been to any of my previous shows where she would expect the recipe ahead of time!)

Kathleen,I always give out a recipe that I did not use (one from supply as they are pretty and inexpensive) when I do the 3 pile checkout. I LOVE this method, so maybe try it again and see if it goes better? Good luck!

GourmetGirl said:
Kathleen,

I always give out a recipe that I did not use (one from supply as they are pretty and inexpensive) when I do the 3 pile checkout. I LOVE this method, so maybe try it again and see if it goes better? Good luck!

Oh, I would have never thought of that! Good idea. OK, I think I will try it again. This way I can give out the show recipe ahead of time!

I always have extra recipes on the table, but never enough for each guest. It appeases those who must know everything, but I mention that I'll give them out at the end.

I also normally have 2 recipes (right now I have one chocolate and one non-chocolate dessert) that way I can say "Are you a chocolate or non-chocolate fan?" It makes people smile and gives us something to talk about.

I tell people that the show recipe is on my website, so they don't need to pay attention to it. If they say they don't have web access, I let them know that I'll attach it to their receipt so they got it with their products. That usually quiets them down about it so I don't lose my train of thought.

Sounds like you just had a heckler. I wouldn't call it a bust just because of her.I give everyone the show recipe via email when the show is closed. I have recipe cards (the ones from supply, usually never what I'm demoing) available at check out.Plus, I tell them where the recipe can be found (which cookbook) so they can always buy the book! (if it's in one of the books)

chefann said:
I tell people that the show recipe is on my website, so they don't need to pay attention to it. If they say they don't have web access, I let them know that I'll attach it to their receipt so they got it with their products. That usually quiets them down about it so I don't lose my train of thought.

I really didn't think it would be an issue since at the beginning I told everyone that the recipes would be available at the end of the show. Then when she started asking...I mentioned again that it was all detailed on the recipes I would have at the end of the show. In fact, I think I mentioned it atleast 2 times after I answered specific questions from her.

I don't mind PRODUCT questions - but the recipe questions DID make me lose my train of thought. It was especially aggravating when her questions STOPPED the other guests from talking about the products. I WANT people talking about the products.

Sounds like you have a plan for your next show. Also you have plenty of tips to help with your next show.

I am going to order extra Peppermint Cookie and Artichoke Dip Recipe Cards to hand out at the end!

If I make one of those recipes, I'll hand out the other at the end!

kam said:
I am going to order extra Peppermint Cookie and Artichoke Dip Recipe Cards to hand out at the end!

If I make one of those recipes, I'll hand out the other at the end!

That's what I do too - the recipe card I hand out at the end is always different, and I'll usually have 2-3 for them to choose from.

Just make sure you have all of your contact info on the recipe cards! I've been to hosts houses where they have a few of our recipe cards and they don't know where they got them from.

1. What is the new format that was tried?

The new format that was tried was a virtual cooking class instead of an in-person demonstration.

2. Why didn't the new format work as planned?

The new format did not work as planned due to technical difficulties and a lack of engagement from participants.

3. Will the old format be brought back?

At this time, we are still evaluating the success of the new format and considering all feedback before making a decision on whether to bring back the old format.

4. How will Pampered Chef address the issues with the new format?

Pampered Chef is taking all feedback into consideration and will make necessary adjustments to improve the virtual cooking class experience.

5. Can I get a refund for the virtual cooking class that didn't go as planned?

Yes, please reach out to our customer service team to request a refund for the virtual cooking class.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ms_twana
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ms_twana
  • mspibb
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Lilamyw3
  • chefcharity